Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 15:13   #4246
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Since smoking of headlights was not going to be easy ,I went the the other way round .Bought Speedwav Renault Duster Chrome Headlight Molding.
http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=141263591247
Original idea was to blacken it out with matt black spray.But since it was chrome ,the chance of paint getting peeled off was high.So went for some black vinyls.For getting full black finish I did apply spray paint too, to the filling defects.The original product did look too prominent and would have affected the overall illumination at night ,so I trimmed it down.

The vinyl has some glittering in sunlight.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc_0065.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc_0063.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc_0057.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc_0055.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc_0059.jpg  

Last edited by anilntny : 27th July 2014 at 15:15.
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 09:32   #4247
BHPian

My chrome door handles accessory have rusted badly. I mean, like, real bad.

What are my options ? I was thinking of removing them and installing the Silver handles of the RXZ in the next service(20K).

How much would they cost ? any other ideas?
Old 28th July 2014, 14:37   #4248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
My chrome door handles accessory have rusted badly. I mean, like, real bad.

What are my options ? I was thinking of removing them and installing the Silver handles of the RXZ in the next service(20K).

How much would they cost ? any other ideas?
Just a question, aren't they made of plastic with chrome finish? I saw them in one of the car and they were of plastic.
Old 28th July 2014, 15:51   #4249
BHPian

Quote:
What are my options ?
Chrome plates on the handle cover are stuck with 2 way stickers. How about doing away with the plates and getting the handles painted with body color.
Old 28th July 2014, 15:54   #4250
BHPian

^^ yes, I thought of that too.. But then the issue is that the paint will chip off or it may not be the exact match to the body colour.

Just to avoid that- I thought of going in for the Silver ones. Any idea on their cost?
Old 28th July 2014, 17:22   #4251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Chrome plates on the handle cover are stuck with 2 way stickers. How about doing away with the plates and getting the handles painted with body color.
[quote=BUXX;3490413]^^ yes, I thought of that too.. But then the issue is that the paint will chip off or it may not be the exact match to the body colour.

Buxx! I second Hillman's opinion of painting the handles with body color. I don't think there would be an issue of paint chipping off if its painted well by applying primer prior to painting. That will be normally taken care of by any quality paint work shop.

You need not worry about the color mismatch as the existing body color will be fed into the computer and the exact matching paint will be made available for your handles.

The door handles paint should last the same way it lasts on the bumpers if done well.
deepeshh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 22:29   #4252
BHPian

Quote:
^^ yes, I thought of that too.. But then the issue is that the paint will chip off or it may not be the exact match to the body colour.

Just to avoid that- I thought of going in for the Silver ones. Any idea on their cost?
My opinion, the silver doesn't match the handle unless the top railings and foot board are silver.

Even I am not satisfied with the chrome handles I attached. It feels a little out of place. Keeping it only coz I paid for it. I'll have it removed sometime in the near future. Just waiting for the opportunity to discard them.

Body colour should go well for the handles. There shouldnt be any issue with paint chipping after a clear coat. The paint job should be done by paint shop working on car body works.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 17:57   #4253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
My opinion, the silver doesn't match the handle unless the top railings and foot board are silver.

Even I am not satisfied with the chrome handles I attached. It feels a little out of place. Keeping it only coz I paid for it. I'll have it removed sometime in the near future. Just waiting for the opportunity to discard them.

Body colour should go well for the handles. There shouldnt be any issue with paint chipping after a clear coat. The paint job should be done by paint shop working on car body works.
I had that listed in my plans.But accessory department told me they will do it only after removing the door handles.
This can be done from any car workshop with a good painter,as all that is needed is proper masking of surrounding area.If door handles need to be removed ,its a bit cumbersome procedure and will take some time.

I recently swapped original chrome handles by Galio I had, as fitment was not perfect.Removing those were really difficult.I was worried at certain points that I might even break the door handles.Chrome handle by different manufactures are of different quality and fitment differs.The site of placement of two sided sticker is vital.

But one plus point of having those chrome handle is that ,they do add some bulk to the flimsy door handle of duster .

Last edited by anilntny : 29th July 2014 at 18:03.
Old 30th July 2014, 04:59   #4254
BHPian

Quote:

I'd painted the Running board, Door handles and Roof rails from the dealership itself. Now, 1 year down the lane, I've no major problems with the paintjob, save for the few marks/scratches left over by my foot on the driver side running board during ingress/egress. Back then they charged me 6000 Rs for it. Needless to say, you can get this done for a much cheaper rate in local garages.

I suggest you paint the handles instead of buying a new set of RxZ handles. Renault parts are terribly overpriced as per my experience.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 09:25   #4255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post

I recently swapped original chrome handles by Galio I had, as fitment was not perfect.Removing those were really difficult.I was worried at certain points that I might even break the door handles.
That is also another concern that I have- If I remove the accessory, I am sure its gonna leave behind some glue/tape behind?

How the heck will I get anyone to paint over this residual goob on the handle?
Old 30th July 2014, 12:37   #4256
BHPian

How about painting the door handle chrome accessory itself so that you can remove it once you feel boring. Also you dont have to remove the handle assembly for painting.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 30th July 2014 at 12:39.
Old 30th July 2014, 15:51   #4257
BHPian

Quote:
That is also another concern that I have- If I remove the accessory, I am sure its gonna leave behind some glue/tape behind?

How the heck will I get anyone to paint over this residual goob on the handle?
It can be done.But older the two sided tape becomes the tougher will be the job.One need to be patient while doing the same.I used WD 40 .After applying ,wait for 10 minutes before you start working on the left out bits of two sided tapes.It can be fully removed.Recently I had most difficult time when I tried removing the door visor to swap it with renault genuine accessory.It took two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
How about painting the door handle chrome accessory itself so that you can remove it once you feel boring. Also you don't have to remove the handle assembly for painting.
It is a good suggestion.Even I had that in mind,when I tried blackening out my headlight chrome kit.You can easily paint them,but since chrome parts are super glazed,it will peel off in no time.Even primer might not help .I tried this method on my discarded chrome door handles.But not promising.It may hold paint if we sand down the chrome finish.That might be a very laborious task.
Another idea is to wrap chrome door handles in rough surfaced vinyls and paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-download.jpeg  

Last edited by anilntny : 30th July 2014 at 15:55.
Old 30th July 2014, 17:25   #4258
BHPian

These silly cheapo Galeo chrome thingies are causing me such a heartburn- I was better off with them black door handles !
Old 31st July 2014, 11:35   #4259

Did anyone among the old duster owners attempt to install the new adventure edition front guard( Bull bar?) with the integrated fog lamps.

Renault is selling this accessory for 20k in hyderabad, but the service guys have stated that they can install this front guard but the fog lamps in the guard cant be wired ie their is no provision or housing for the wires for the fog lamps in the old dusters so the integrated fog lamps in the guard will just have to be dummy ones.
Old 31st July 2014, 12:55   #4260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkpin View Post
Renault is selling this accessory for 20k in hyderabad, but the service guys have stated that they can install this front guard but the fog lamps in the guard cant be wired ie their is no provision or housing for the wires for the fog lamps in the old dusters so the integrated fog lamps in the guard will just have to be dummy ones.
Cant they connect it to the existing fog lamp wiring?

Most Viewed