Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2012, 17:28   #436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal
Here goes my set, RxZ woodland brown. Had a bit of clear sky today.
Congrats,woodland brown looking good.
Is floor net provided in the boot?
I know floor hooks are there for net.
Are there any other accesories,items given with the car?
Old 4th August 2012, 17:58   #437
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

I got word that we will have our grey RxZ by the last week of this month. Have to start looking for rims to make this awful colour look good now. Any suggestions?
Old 4th August 2012, 18:05   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
I don't understand your logic you are saying the 85ps with 200nm is more than adequate and competent and the sunny has proved with the same engine there is no lack of power along with the lesser 75ps logan but still say 110 is clearly the better choice please bring clarity in your post.

Most cars are offered in different levels of trim, eg the Laura at 110 and 140bhp. The example is not perfect as the 140 here is DSG but this is quite common abroad.

The Laura abroad even comes with the Rapid's 104bhp engine variant, apart from the 110 and 140. Consumers choose on budget and their needs.

The 140bhp is obviously faster and more effortless but this does not mean the 110 or the 104 is not adequate, they are just slower. For some folks this is not a deal breaker, the 110 is also cheaper.

The choice depends on the customer, whether he wants something adequate and competent or something that is faster. You will clearly see consumers who opt for lower configs as their usage pattern is more sedate. It's a a matter of priorities and usage scenarios.

Last edited by raul : 4th August 2012 at 18:07.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 19:06   #439
BHPian

Just want to add one thing here about the 85 Duster. It;s Power/Torque to Weight figures are nearly identical to the Scorpio. Its GC is better than the Scorpio.
So wherever the Scorpio can go , it can go too. And will give you a better ride while going there.
Old 4th August 2012, 19:55   #440

The review is excellent, got to admit, it is on par with Autocar and better than Overdrive for sure. Boy am I glad I registered. I am expecting delivery next week and am glad I made a good choice based on your review
Pattam1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 19:59   #441
BHPian

okay, I have a doubt from when I first read GTO's review...

Quote:
• You can see the car's body colour from the inside, on the door frame. Unusual with cars of today.
Can someone pls explain what this means? Thanks !
Old 4th August 2012, 20:01   #442
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX
Just want to add one thing here about the 85 Duster. It;s Power/Torque to Weight figures are nearly identical to the Scorpio. Its GC is better than the Scorpio.
So wherever the Scorpio can go , it can go too. And will give you a better ride while going there.
Good one!
It will also have less of a propensity to get stuck in slush and muck and wet grass scenarios on account of its lighter weight!
Frankly if I were choosing between these two specifically no prizes for guessing which will win.
A super vehicle in most respects for Indian conditions.
Old 4th August 2012, 20:09   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I got word that we will have our grey RxZ by the last week of this month. Have to start looking for rims to make this awful colour look good now. Any suggestions?
Well, perhaps the theme could be chunky Silver with Black outlines or blacked-out rims to accentuate the Grey bodywork? Another option - Black chunky design with thin Red stripes. Btw, what would you plan with the OEM rims - trade-in?
Old 4th August 2012, 21:54   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
Here is a link that shows speeds of the 85 and 110 ps vehicles at 1000 rpm.
http://www.renault.com/SiteCollectio...B_CEE82D38.pdf

IF (a big no doubt) these are applicable to the desi trims as well, at 1000 rpm the engines seem to be displaying about the same behaviour for the first 4 gears. Insulation remaining the same in both, and assuming that engine rpm is directly responsible for cabin noise and 'refinement', I doubt anybody should be able to tell the difference.

In 5th gear the difference is minor. The sixth gear speed improves by about 15% at same rpm. Assuming the turbo kicks in only after 1600 rpm, the power curves should be linear at the 1000 rpm region, which means the engine rpm will also drop in the range of 12-17%. So in 6th gear the 110 ps should be a noticably quieter or more refined than the 85 engine. As rpms increase, with the turbos kicking in, the difference will probably widen.

Whoa? how can you reach faster while doing 120kmph than while doing 140kmph? this is like saying 1 kg of gold is heavier than 1 kg of water.

speed = distance /time, if distance is the same, speed and time are inversely proportional.

the 85 ps and 110ps is generated at 3750 and 4000 rpm respectively. Unless you are driving like you stole it, you are not going be anywhere near those numbers under normal conditions.

The extra hp will come into play only while making a pass, i think the lack of the 6th gear overdrive is the bigger issue.

Way back in 90's I experienced the same as mentioned by Neil between Maruti 1000 & Esteem. Though I try to cruse between 110 - 120 will fetch a clear 30-45 minutes advantage over a trip of 600-700 kms (night times it is quite more). That's because of 2 way traffic, pot holes on highways, slow moving vehicles, congested road and there were lot many reasons to slow down. Because of additional torque/HP esteem will be able to overtake a couple of more vehicles or reach the cruising speed quicker than 1000 which extends the lead as we travel longer distance. All the old time drivers might have experienced the same. I don't know what was the power difference between them, I hope it should be similar to Duster 85 & 110 or a little more.

Nowadays roads are quite clear and I hope it should not be the same situation, unless you are on a road packed with trucks/Govt busses where they overtake themselves would take a mile to complete. In these cases the vehicle with more torque/HP will quickly reach the cruising speed hence could avoid another mile long overtaking manures of heavy vehicles.
This could one possible though for Neil's reasoning.

Though the technical data seems to be same for both with a marginal difference, but this marginal difference matters a lot on the above conditions. Still we do not know how much time both 110 & 85 needs to reach 130 from 60, this data is very crucial to decide which will do the better. I believe an additional 40NM at 150RPM lesser than 85HP matters a lot. Does is not?. I believe more torque more pull ! ! ! We are writing and speculating on this quite more without anyone not driven 85 .

Though all have same accel due to Gravity, but takes different time when allowed to fall in the presence of air due to resistance offered by air, different surface area. . . . etc. . . but would take the same timing if allowed to fall in vacuum.

Similarly both engines could appear quite similar with negligible differences on paper but will definitely behave differently on road filled with Traffic.

Let's wait for few more months to see lot of experiences coming in the forum. . . .
Old 4th August 2012, 22:34   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
@ Himadrimondal - congrats for your new ride. Looks amazing, my favourite colour in this car. What mods/accessories planned? Enjoy many miles with the work horse.
Thanks. Currently 'mods/accessories' options are limited. There is a gaping hole in my pocket. Though I did go for floor lamination and tints today.
The Lummar tints I got have 70% visibility all throughout though I personally think its more. Can't make out if there is a film attached.
Seat covers, I have got the fabric and just love the design.
Stanley gave me a quote of around 45k for the same design in leather, don't think its possible anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
himandrimondal @ That was looking gorgeous good color choice. How about an review about the BT plus audio output?
Thanks. BT is just about fine. Though its no way near the Pioneed 4490 which I have on my Honda Brio. I have no idea if I can browse through the phone book through the car audio display. Don't think the function is available.
Phone pairing is smooth. Mic is placed just above the rear view mirror on top and is of good quality.
Answer/End calls can be done through the Mute button on the steering control(short press) and through the center dial on the main audio console.
Reject a call: Long press of the same mute button.
Media stops playing when a call comes, restarts after the end of call.
All in all its basic but it does what its meant for perfectly.

Audio output is livable. Currently I am still yet to get over with the overall enthusiasm, audio is of ok quality as GTO also mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Congrats,woodland brown looking good.
Is floor net provided in the boot?
I know floor hooks are there for net.
Are there any other accesories,items given with the car?
NO, do they give one?
Old 4th August 2012, 22:49   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
okay, I have a doubt from when I first read GTO's review...

Can someone pls explain what this means? Thanks !
The newer cars have complete padding on the insides of the door. In Duster, the body colour looks like it is visible on the border of the padding. Particularly the rear doors. Are there any close up photos of the interiors with the doors closed?
Any ways, compared to my Fiat Adventure which had a huge area that is not covered by the padding, this is much better

Last edited by thalavoy : 4th August 2012 at 22:50.
thalavoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 23:06   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
@ idofsuresh. My question might seem lame, but is there any chance to program or remap the present 110 engine to match the performance in the new fluence, or is there any hardware change required?
The new fluence has many changes like new intake etc than just a engine re-map. Don't remember all the changes. One of the fluence thread had it. You can google the changes. The early birds will be fooled if the Renault decides to do a Fluence with Duster when the competition heats up. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The 85 BHP Duster is surely short geared. The 100 BHP may look better suited for Highways, but is still short geared when compared to other 6 cog cars in the market.

Verna/i20 Diesels cruise at 100 kmph at 1900-2000 rpm. My All new Fiesta touched 100 kmph at 2050-2100 rpm with 5 cogs. Same is the case for Etios with 5 cogs.
You may be spot on. You may want to repeat the tests few times to be sure if you have not already done. A small incline, wind and other factors could make rpm difference. I have seen my car hitting same speed at slightly different RPMs in the same gear. I do notice your range, maybe you already tried it multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Raul, the 85ps, do you think it will pull up hills with 5 seated + weekend luggage comfortably?, without straining and/or panting?
Based on GTOs response in Sunny ownership review he feels it is not an issue. Actually, the 85 may do better in hills than the 110 PS because of lesser turbo lag. You may NOT have to downshift to first gear. GTO has clearly mentioned that 110 required down shifts to 1st gear where the Innova did it in 2nd gear in Munnar hills.

Last edited by idofsuresh : 4th August 2012 at 23:09.
Old 5th August 2012, 01:18   #448
BHPian

I test drove this car about a week back in Bhubaneswar. I was given the 110 PS version of Duster. Though I was interested to drive both 85 and 110, I was told by the dealer that 85 PS was not available.

The car is really superb and handles really well. The well appointed interiors are very attractive.

The things i liked about the car:

1. Masculine look.
2. Flared up look because of the wheel arches.
3. Handling.
4. The she handles rough roads and urban traffic.
5. Driver seat height adjustment.

Some of the things I dint like:

1. The brake is a little spongy. It could have been improved.
2. The low end torque.
3. Some parts of the interior look really plastic.
4. Little pricy.

My purchase decision will be taken during the next week when the dealer is going to offer me a test drive of the 85 PS Duster.
Old 5th August 2012, 07:24   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
I have no idea if I can browse through the phone book through the car audio display. Don't think the function is available.
A little correction. The phone book can be browsed through the car's audio display. Just hit the'Tel' button on the main console and the steering remote controls can do the rest. I though found dialing through the phone bit easier, then the car BT do the rest.
Old 5th August 2012, 08:43   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
I have seen my car hitting same speed at slightly different RPMs in the same gear.
I know it's OT, but wanted a quick clarification: how is that possible?? Since the wheels and the engine are connected through a specific gear ratio, the relationship between the engine speed and the wheels becomes an unchangeable constant as far as I know.

Of course, we're veering towards a purely technical discussion that can be taken to a different thread if there's no definite immediate answer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks