Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2015, 18:21   #4801
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
That's unusual; could be a problem with the re-circulation flap which is directly accessible only by dismounting the dashboard.

That said I think Duster lets in a noticeable amount outside air/odors even if the re-circulation flap/knob is completely shut. What do you all think ?
Never noticed it. I always felt Duster is better than by old Swift which didn't come with cabin air filter. I used to get all kinds of smell and lot of dust inside Swift's cabin even while driving with a/c on in recirculation mode.
Old 14th March 2015, 20:50   #4802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Never noticed it. I always felt Duster is better than by old Swift which didn't come with cabin air filter. I used to get all kinds of smell and lot of dust inside Swift's cabin even while driving with a/c on in recirculation mode.
Feel yourself lucky DieselLover I have this problem in my Duster, so does a few in this forum, and it just refuses to go away.

This becomes noticeable only when I drive through a smoky or a really foul smelling area. A small but noticeable amount of odor does come in through the AC vents. All Vehicle's by design lets in, say 3-4% (wild guess) of outside air even if the re-circulation flap is shut, however I feel Dusters (or may be my Duster) lets in a bit more.

Contrary to your experience, my 1st gen swift ddis with no cabin filter fares much better; on the same stretch I wouldn't notice the odor if I were in my swift. I assume the cabin filters provided by Renault/ Suzuki would not be the more expensive activated carbon type cabin filters, and hence would not have any odor absorbing capabilities. They may just stop the dust and other microscopic particles.

I've taken the car to multiple Renault service centers multiple times to fix the problem- no visible leaks in any of the grommets/anywhere and absolutely no problem with the re-circulation flap.
Old 14th March 2015, 21:42   #4803
BHPian

Went to Khivraj showroom at Chennai today. Am surprised to hear that 2015 110PS RxL comes only with one airbag - Driver Airbag. Is this an improvement or deterioration in standards. Did not expect this from Renault. This is confirmed from the following brochure extract from Renault India Official site.

Renault Duster : Official Review-duster2015rxl.jpg
Old 15th March 2015, 09:39   #4804
BHPian

Quote:
Feel yourself lucky DieselLover I have this problem in my Duster, so does a few in this forum, and it just refuses to go away.

This becomes noticeable only when I drive through a smoky or a really foul smelling area. A small but noticeable amount of odor does come in through the AC vents. All Vehicle's by design lets in, say 3-4% (wild guess) of outside air even if the re-circulation flap is shut, however I feel Dusters (or may be my Duster) lets in a bit more.

Contrary to your experience, my 1st gen swift ddis with no cabin filter fares much better; on the same stretch I wouldn't notice the odor if I were in my swift. I assume the cabin filters provided by Renault/ Suzuki would not be the more expensive activated carbon type cabin filters, and hence would not have any odor absorbing capabilities. They may just stop the dust and other microscopic particles.

I've taken the car to multiple Renault service centers multiple times to fix the problem- no visible leaks in any of the grommets/anywhere and absolutely no problem with the re-circulation flap.
May be I am lucky Never noticed it yet.

Is carbon type filters available for duster?
Old 15th March 2015, 11:30   #4805
BHPian

Quote:
That said I think Duster lets in a noticeable amount outside air/odors even if the re-circulation flap/knob is completely shut. What do you all think ?

I agree. I have owned many cars of different brands, but the amount of odor the Duster lets in is comparatively on the higher side in spite of the re circulation mode being on. This becomes more evident while you pass through a cloud of smoke. The outside odor hits you hard.
Old 15th March 2015, 15:09   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Just a quick question to Duster owners. How do you open your fuel filler cap? Do you need your ignition key to open it? Does that mean I have to switch off AC and turn off ignition to fuel? Thanks in anticipation!
Old 15th March 2015, 17:03   #4807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Just a quick question to Duster owners. How do you open your fuel filler cap? Do you need your ignition key to open it? Does that mean I have to switch off AC and turn off ignition to fuel? Thanks in anticipation!
The key is not needed. Its just a cable release.

I have seen some members recommend keeping the ignition in off position when refueling, for safety reasons I guess. Maybe even to ensure the computer can properly recalculate the fuel added.

I usually switch off the engine, take the key out and exit the car. Mainly to keep a watch on the refueling process.
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 17:58   #4808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
The key is not needed. Its just a cable release.
Thanks! The reason I had that query was because of the indent in the filler cap. Please check the circled portion in the picture. To me it seemed like anyone outside can open it and have access to the fuel inside.

Name:  Screen Shot 20150315 at 12.19.51 pm.png
Views: 4838
Size:  66.1 KB

I understand that you need to release the cable switch inside and without doing that it cannot be opened from the outside.
Old 15th March 2015, 19:29   #4809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Thanks! The reason I had that query was because of the indent in the filler cap. Please check the circled portion in the picture. To me it seemed like anyone outside can open it and have access to the fuel inside.
Yes, there is a risk that someone can pry open the flap. That indent makes it easier I guess.

My guess is that maybe the Dacia Dusters might have had lock on the fuel opener to sell at lower price point. Renault just dint want to spend money changing the fuel flap when selling in India.
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 20:20   #4810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Yes, there is a risk that someone can pry open the flap. That indent makes it easier I guess.

My guess is that maybe the Dacia Dusters might have had lock on the fuel opener to sell at lower price point. Renault just dint want to spend money changing the fuel flap when selling in India.
My thoughts exactly. The Dacia Duster and also Lodgy have security coded filler caps inside that can only be opened with your security coded ignition key. The idea is that in Europe you fill your own fuel and it makes sense to get out with your keys (vehicle switched off) in hand to refuel your car. In India, they've adopted the same system and removed the essentials for cost cutting I reckon!

Name:  Screen Shot 20150315 at 2.48.03 pm.png
Views: 4850
Size:  111.0 KB

Here is a screenshot from the user manual of European Lodgy and it talks about using the key to open the filler cap. I've posed this query because I'll be booking the Lodgy soon and wanted to know these things in detail. Thanks anyway!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 15th March 2015 at 20:22.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 13:21   #4811
BHPian

Just noticed these changes in the engines. Much needed, and a welcome move.

85ps Duster : 85ps@3750rpm, 200Nm@1750rpm
110ps Duster: 110ps @ 4000rpm, 245 Nm@1750rpm

With peak torque coming 250 rpm earlier, the new 85ps should be much more exciting in cities than the outgoing model which is sluggish (especially below 1400 rpm) in my books (I own one). Fuel economy has take a hit though (19.87 kmpl from 20.45 kmpl earlier). Hope this re-tuned engine also delivers the consistently high FE figures clocked by the outgoing model.

2wd Duster 110ps now comes in AWD's state of tune , presumably with normal gear ratios. I doubt if new 85ps makes sense anymore
To give credit where it's due, we've both AWD and 85ps (old model) in our garage and 85ps on an average delivers 4 kmpl more than AWD in moderate to low traffic in narrow Kerala roads.

Renault Duster : Official Review-new-duster.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-fuel.jpg
xjosephjacob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 14:38   #4812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

These are the exact same specifications on the Lodgy. I thought they're gonna use two different tunes for Duster and Lodgy. Looks like they aren't. The torque comes in early albeit losing 3Nm in the process. I remember Autocar India talking about the K9K engine moving to a new T4 architecture for better emission control and more linear power delivery and hence the changes. The turbolag of the old tuning (248 @ 2250) will be offset to a great extent in the new tuning @ 1750rpm in my opinion.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 18:23   #4813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghP09 View Post
Just talked to the service adviser at Renault Faridabad and he denied any such replacement.

He asked me to get the car, get it checked and they will replace if they see any issues. He was rude and I had to warn him before I could talk any further. He apologized but was firm that there is no such replacement.

Please do write to Renault India.

Along with that make a detailed post with service docket number ,on Renault India Facebook wall about bad service by service centre.

I too am worried about further deterioration of quality of service because the duster is already a massive hit.Most of the service centres do not have space to receive vehicles for service.

The imminent launch of Lodgy,which sure is going to be an instant hit, is another risk factor for making already congested Renault service centres ,even more crowded.

Last edited by anilntny : 16th March 2015 at 18:37.
Old 16th March 2015, 21:24   #4814
BHPian

Quote:

With peak torque coming 250 rpm earlier, the new 85ps should be much more exciting in cities than the outgoing model which is sluggish (especially below 1400 rpm) in my books (I own one). Fuel economy has take a hit though (19.87 kmpl from 20.45 kmpl earlier). Hope this re-tuned engine also delivers the consistently high FE figures clocked by the outgoing model.

2wd Duster 110ps now comes in AWD's state of tune , presumably with normal gear ratios. I doubt if new 85ps makes sense anymore
To give credit where it's due, we've both AWD and 85ps (old model) in our garage and 85ps on an average delivers 4 kmpl more than AWD in moderate to low traffic in narrow Kerala roads.
THis is interesting. A 110ps with better dirveability would be an interesting option. However, need to wait and see the real world FE of new engines. The current 85ps is just amazing in this aspect. I am getting around 15kmpl for my daily office commute and around 18kmpl for (Kerala)highway runs which is slightly more than what I used to get in my old gen Swift D

The worst I got so far is 14kmpl after 300 kms of City running through some of the most congested roads of Kochi in peak traffic

What is the Average FE your are getting for AWD?
Old 16th March 2015, 22:44   #4815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
THis is interesting. A 110ps with better dirveability would be an interesting option. However, need to wait and see the real world FE of new engines. The current 85ps is just amazing in this aspect. I am getting around 15kmpl for my daily office commute and around 18kmpl for (Kerala)highway runs which is slightly more than what I used to get in my old gen Swift D

The worst I got so far is 14kmpl after 300 kms of City running through some of the most congested roads of Kochi in peak traffic

What is the Average FE your are getting for AWD?
AWD is still in the initial stages of run-in. In home to city run (moderate traffic), which comes around 70 km for round-trip, AWD returns 15-16 kmpl if I drive sedately. Under similar conditions 85ps easily returns 20-21 kmpl.
xjosephjacob is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks