Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Another limited edition from Renault at 9.99
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/renault-du...9-lakh-1213177
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:17   #5087
BHPian

Good guideline for a Duster facelift or for a 2nd Gen!

Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-2015593840renaultalaskanconcept.jpg  

Last edited by johannskaria : 3rd September 2015 at 16:18.
Old 4th September 2015, 11:39   #5088
BHPian

Seeking advice from fellow Duster owners. My white Duster's left side became a victim of Delhi's notorious 3-wheeler this morning. The damage is limited to the left side, though I will need to get the dents repaired and painted.

The last time I visited Renault service station at Moti Nagar, I was told that Duster uses water-based paint and hence any paint job from outside should be discouraged. Is that so? I was told that it would take a couple of weeks for the 2 dents to be repaired and painted. Though I have a Zero-dep insurance, I was kind of wary of leaving my vehicle at the body shop for a period of 2 weeks.

Could anyone confirm if the paint on Duster is indeed water-based and the finish cannot be matched outside the body shop? Any comments are appreciated in advance; and thanks for spending a minute to read through all this.
Old 4th September 2015, 15:02   #5089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
Seeking advice from fellow Duster owners. My white Duster's left side became a victim of Delhi's notorious 3-wheeler this morning. The damage is limited to the left side, though I will need to get the dents repaired and painted.

The last time I visited Renault service station at Moti Nagar, I was told that Duster uses water-based paint and hence any paint job from outside should be discouraged. Is that so? I was told that it would take a couple of weeks for the 2 dents to be repaired and painted. Though I have a Zero-dep insurance, I was kind of wary of leaving my vehicle at the body shop for a period of 2 weeks.

Could anyone confirm if the paint on Duster is indeed water-based and the finish cannot be matched outside the body shop? Any comments are appreciated in advance; and thanks for spending a minute to read through all this.

Attaching pics..
I was at the signal at 8.30am, and this chick in the scorpio couldn't judge her stopping distance.
Finishing done outside service centre..
Don't know the answer to your question though.

When I ran my hand on it, it was rougher than the rest of the body. But the next day the garage chap asked me to bring it back for polishing. And now, even I can't make out the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-x1.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-x2.jpg  

Last edited by Shanmd : 4th September 2015 at 15:09. Reason: incomplete info..
Shanmd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 15:15   #5090
Distinguished - BHPian

Any paint will show true colors only after weathering. Unless there is a major cost issue get it done from RASS. This way you can force them to repaint if any colour difference shows up.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 17:39   #5091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Any paint will show true colors only after weathering. Unless there is a major cost issue get it done from RASS. This way you can force them to repaint if any colour difference shows up.
The above pics are dated Jan sometime and, July sometime. And I just ran my hand over the same area to check the difference. None.

Maybe I lucked out.
Old 4th September 2015, 18:37   #5092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
It's definitely not a cost issue. It's more to do with the attitude of the body shop of Renault. They talk of a 2 week period for a dent and paint job, and that is really the only concern I had.
Old 5th September 2015, 20:35   #5093

Hi guys,

Any idea, how much weight the rear seat can take when it is folded down?

I planned tot are some furniture. Just wanted to know what I'm getting into.

CP.
Old 6th September 2015, 14:04   #5094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragpatnaik View Post
Hi guys,

Any idea, how much weight the rear seat can take when it is folded down?

CP.

Yeah when I moved some Gautier TV unit trolley and couple of other units, I disassembled pieces weighing say about 50 kgs and little more. Yes, I threw a bed sheet on the seats and spread the wooden pieces so that they do not weigh at the the same point. The rear seat does not exactly become flat, say about 15, 20 degrees. If you drive carefully you should be fine. Cheers
Old 7th September 2015, 09:26   #5095
BHPian

Hello duster gang!

Need help with a decision i need to make, thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Background: i had been following (ix25) now creta since its beijing launch and had pretty much set my eyes on it. However i was dissapointed with its launch. 2 big factors for me was rear seating not comfortable for 3 and the ride quality was average (test drive). Thats when i set my eyes on duster and took couple of test drives and had almost finalized the car and it was then the rumor's around facelift by end of the year started circulating. So i finally decided to wait. Now with explore limited edition i am wondering if i should go for it.

1. I know its just some cosmetic changes but I like some of them? Should i wait for the facelift. The wait is killing me as i was planning upgrade since beginning of 2015 :

2. Will the facelift be here sooner? If its Really Nov i will wait? What factors should i consider in this decision making?

Thanks!
Arun
Old 7th September 2015, 13:48   #5096
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Arun,

If you read the reviews, the Duster blows others away in striking a balance between ride comfort and handling. The achillies heel of the duster is it's poorly designed dash and center console. There is not place to keep a phone in the center console. Only place is above the stereo on top of the dash and your battery will bulge in no time under the heat of the Sun.

The Creta and X-Cross have much more contemporary and practical interiors. If you are okay with the Creta handling and don't need 4WD, then consider the creta as the duster interior is way down market. Although, I do find the seats very comfortable..

In my case, I bought the 4WD so there was no options for me. I am very happy with my duster except for the center console. Don't they have smart phones in Checkoslovakia or whereever Dacia comes from?
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 15:01   #5097
BHPian

The Creta and X-Cross have much more contemporary and practical interiors. If you are okay with the Creta handling and don't need 4WD, then consider the creta as the duster interior is way down market. Although, I do find the seats very comfortable..

In my case, I bought the 4WD so there was no options for me. I am very happy with my duster except for the center console. Don't they have smart phones in Checkoslovakia or whereever Dacia comes from?[/quote]

I so agree with you, they got such a fantastic car and its been close to 3 years now - they should have done something about the interiors - they would have continued to stay on top.

Creta is a know for me also due to rear seating and Duster is a + due to jump seat option - We are family of 6 , wife, 2 kids and my parents - though we hardly travel together it is has practical option of having one of kid sit at the back.

Thanks!
Arun
Old 7th September 2015, 18:27   #5098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.kulkarni View Post
they should have done something about the interiors - they would have continued to stay on top.
Think it is too late for that. The creta has completely changed the game for them. Much better interiors and not to mention better pricing, engine options and waay better interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.kulkarni View Post
it is has practical option of having one of kid sit at the back.
There is a reason why you have never seen a duster with the third seat option. It is practically useless. Something akin to opening up an older aristocrat suitcase and putting a cushion on both sides. It will be very dangerous and impractical to keep your kid there. You can consider the duster for other reasons, but the extra seat is purely a marketing gimmick. If you are in the market for a family vehicle, I strongly suggest looking at the mobilio or the Lodgy.
Old 8th September 2015, 10:50   #5099
BHPian

My duster's air filter (K&N) cleaning was pending for a long time, I got some time to work on it on the weekend. Also I noticed a little bit of smoking due to the dirty filter and a drop in performance. Following are the pics during the cleaning:

Pic1 and 2 : Dirty filter and the dirt
Pic3 and 3 : Cleaned with APC and thoroughly rinsed the filter and dried it in the sunlight
Pic4 and 5 : Oiled and kept it for proper settling in to the cotton.

Refitted and voila, car is happily revving and really a great improvement. Another Saturday well spent.

Renault Duster : Official Review-11225764_1495522520768691_7688123996772873176_o.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-11998968_1495522574102019_5575335949104707531_n.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-11933449_1495522570768686_8391620896937707393_n.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-11951346_1495522584102018_8877297736359443103_n.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-11930879_1495522610768682_5764705888088536583_o.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-11229922_1495522524102024_330649953193083952_o.jpg
::CMS:: is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 10:52   #5100
BHPian

Things have not gone to plans.. So after almost 3 years with the Duster RxL 85(Opt) and 24K Kms on the Odo, I am thinking of selling it off. The hard clutch is just way too much for me and I give up on the car that I planned to keep for atleast 10 years/ 100,000kms.

There is no hope of getting it rectified with Renault who have been so damn obstinate about not recognizing this issue and/or offering any solution to this, like they did for the 110.

And to think of it, I was one of those early adopters who booked the vehicle without even looking at it physically, after the Delhi Auto Expo in Jan'12 ! So much for Consumer confidence !

What a pity, the vehicle is really the perfect Compact SUV; marred by such a silly issue. I would be happy even if they offered me a Paid replacement for a softer clutch.

Never bothered to write an ownership review, but here's a long-term perspective on it for benefit of the forum. This will be high-level summary of my experience with the Duster,looking back at the past 3 years in toto.

Pros:

First: Undoubtedly, the Ride quality.

The Duster will just gobble up anything in its path and the suspension and the engine actually performs infinitesimally much better after a little warmup of about 40-50Kms

The "magic carpet" term is much used in passing when describing the ride of the Duster, but you really have to be in the Driver's seat to understand what it really means.

You actually DO glide over any road imperfection. If you are doing anything more than 60-70kmph, you will feel you as if its a Mag-Lev train !!

Looks:

There's hardly ever an occasion, when I don't turn back to look at my parked car and giggle like a school girl on the inside.

The Duster just looks so much macho, so much handsome than any of the other CUVs. Period. (and that includes the new Creta)

The Go-anywhere ability:

For the record, I had done just one long drive before I got the Duster. Could be due to a variety of reasons, not important/relevant here.

What is important, however is that after getting the Duster, I didn't have to think twice about going to any (reasonable) destination/trip !!
My Duster gave me and I suspect many like me, the confidence and the ability, to take the road less taken, in style and in supreme comfort.

Space:

For a compact SUV, and now in retrospect with the few other offerings that have come our way since the launch of the Duster; the space is really good in comparison.

Both front and rear passengers are happy,the Duster will easily seat 5 adults in decent comfort AND carry their matching luggage for a long journey.

I have had chance to use the monstrous boot to the hilt on a few occasions- drop/pick folks off for long overseas trip , picking up my new HT Sub etc (which come to think of it, would not fit in any of the other current CUV offerings)

FE: a secondary feature for me, but the Duster returns good efficiency : 13Kmpl (City) & 17-18 Kmpl on Highways, With 100% AC on. Makes the expense of a long trip sweeter to manage.

Cons:

Did I mention about the Hard Clutch ? Single. Biggest . Flaw.

Let me say, the Duster's rock hard clutch will give your Left leg muscles a exhausting workout and destroy your Left Knee in a matter of few years.

Save-the-Left-Leg is a bonafide campaign when you are a Duster Owner.

Renault could actually face a Class Action if it tries to sell the Duster in the US.

AC:

For the front passengers, its still manageable in the Delhi heat. But the Rear passengers really sweat it out. There is just no vent setting that will give them any comfort.

Engine:

I am gonna go after what many consider the Holy Grail for the Duster.
The Engine is reliable in the long-term, but is no fun at all, reaching there. Too much of grunting with not much result.

The torque from a Diesel is addictive though.

Not much else really.. the rattles are a downer, but I expect this in every car after reading the many ownership reports on TBHP.

Off topic a bit, I am thinking of going for an Ecosport Auto now.

Bunch of Safety gizmos on a similarly niggle-free modern car with decent interiors, an Auto that takes care of any clutch issues, a good AC, decent A$$ support.

Compromises here too (Space, sluggish Engine/GB combo) , but one that will not be a health hazard in the long run !

Would love to hear feedback of folks who have done a similar switch or otherwise too !!

Thanks for tuning in !
BUXX is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks