Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 21:33   #5161
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Are they the 2015 tweaked ones? Think Renault started shipping the new ones in February 2015.
Old 28th September 2015, 23:18   #5162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I cannot say about production stops, but if you dont have major reservations on visual selections between the Duster and Teranno, I would suggest the Duster. Also why 85? Because when it was launched the Duster 85 was more easier to drive than the 110. But Renault has improved the drivability of 110 and has also worked on the heaviness of the clutch. You should certainly check out the 110 before deciding.
Agree with ampere here , I feel 110ps is more fun to drive . I have not faced any problems in b2b traffic and on highways I have never run out of breath . And with all the good qualities I have managed a satisfactory mileage of 17-18 on the highways and 13-14 in the city . I have never driven the terrano so can't comment about the dynamics and somehow I have liked the looks of duster more over the terrano .
Old 29th September 2015, 12:39   #5163
BHPian

Bad fate this morning , A Tata ace guy bangs into the rear bumper of my stationary car . Damage is 3k out of pocket front the paint touch up of the bumper and the rear guard right side clamp also need to be replaced .
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-image.jpeg  

Old 29th September 2015, 13:08   #5164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
1. The kerb weight of duster is listed as 1205 in our forum..The Nissan's kerb weight is listed as 1345 kgs.
The Kerb weight of Duster as mentioned in team bhp review is incorrect. My old type 85 ps RxL (O) weighs 1281 kg. 2wd 110ps is heavier and AWD is even more heavier. Comparable variants of Duster and Terrano weigh more or less the same, as they are same cars, save for the few redesigned bits and pieces that you're aware of. Sheet metal quality, Quality of plastics are all same.

Quote:
The ARAI mileage for Terrano is 20.45 while for duster it is 19.87. This is around half a km of difference. Any idea if there is a reason for this and also if this will translate into marginally better real world mileage.
New Dusters use a tweaked engine that's a lot more responsive and fun to drive whereas Terrano still use the old engine. Not sure if the updated engine in Dusters deliver the promised efficiency in real world conditions. My old type 85 ps Duster delivers what it promises. My AWD doesn't really deliver the promised efficiency in normal driving conditions.

Quote:
I am bit worried that Terrano's production might stop in the near future since the combined Duster/Terrano's numbers have really fallen in the last 3 months. How difficult do you think it will be source the part in that case? Will it be advisable to go for Duster in this case since the number of dusters on the roads are more.

4. With the discounts, the premium for Terrano is lesser than what is used to be. For the top end terrano 85 ps vs top end duster 85 ps the difference is only 20K now after applicable discounts in both cases. Does it make sense to go for the Terrano in this case?
Discounts and tweaked engines aside, new model Duster is has improved NVH levels compared to a Terrano. Also, Terrano misses out on Steering Mounted Audio controls, Medianav and the new instrument cluster.

As you know it's entirely upon the company to decide whether to continue the production or not and since we don't have any solid information all we can do is speculate. Duster face-lift has already been spotted in Indian roads and I suggest you wait in case you're interested in buying a Duster.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th September 2015 at 16:21. Reason: Joseph, please avoid posting responses inline. Best to split the quotes and respond to them separately. Thanks!
Old 29th September 2015, 15:55   #5165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Renault tweaked the ECU programming for both the 85 & 110 in the 2015 Duster launched in February 2015. This resulted in a more responsive engine (i.e. less turbo lag) but I think the 85's mileage went down and now both are nearly identical.
I have a few questions to the gurus out here.

Can the new ECU tweak be done to the old generation Dusters, so that the improved response can be felt in the older models. Mine is 2013 85ps. Is it only a ECU tweak in the 2015 models or is there a mechanical improvement in the engine itself or both which is resulting in the better response of the engines.
deepeshh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 16:22   #5166
Distinguished - BHPian

Let's wait for the experts - however, it MAY be possible via an update haven't heard of Renault doing it across the board to all vehicles coming in for service.

I remember Chevy did a Cruze ECU update that expanded the turbo-band of the original Cruze, thereby making it more drivable at lower RPMs.
Old 30th September 2015, 18:41   #5167
BHPian

I got all my four doors damped today. The damping was done only for the inner portion and the dealer said that would be sufficient. Did feel the cabin a lot more quiter now.

The material used was of STP brand which they said was complaint free. Initial quote was 12k, got it reduced to Rs.9800 after a bit of bargain.

While enquring about Dynamat they gave negative feedback saying it melted and came off in some cases and hence they use only STP brand. STP is stuck straightaway whereas Dynamat needs to be heated while sticking.
Old 30th September 2015, 23:12   #5168
Senior - BHPian

Hi Duster owners,

Is the currently advertised Explorer edition any good? There is a 110bhp variant too on offer, which is interesting (and it looks pretty nice). But are there any drawbacks and/or significantly lacking features on this special edition?

Also can the Renault 110 diesel engine be remapped for a little more power?

Renault Duster : Official Review-renault-duster-explorer-edition.jpg
Old 30th September 2015, 23:20   #5169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hi Duster owners,

Is the currently advertised Explorer edition any good? There is a 110bhp variant too on offer, which is interesting (and it looks pretty nice). But are there any drawbacks and/or significantly lacking features on this special
Biggest Shortcoming: ONLY ONE AIRBAG!
Buy only if you consider your co-driver to be expendable.
rednikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 23:25   #5170
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I think this special edition misses out on ABS and Passenger or both Airbags
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 09:23   #5171
BHPian

Columbian made Duster scores 4 stars in Latin NCAP

The Columbian made Renault Duster with 1 driver airbag has achieved a 4 star rating in the Latin NCAP for Adult Occupant Protection. This is the model on sale in the Latin American market.

It received only a 2 star rating for Child Occupant Protection.

Quoting from the comments:
Quote:
The car just managed to Achieve 4 stars. In the frontal impact the driver head was well protected and passenger head was close to contact with the dashboard. The Chester slowed marginal protection from the restraint systems. There were hazardous structures in the area of ​​the facia That could be impacted by the driver and front passenger knees. The car does not have SBR. The vehicle bodyshell was rated as unstable.
Complete Results: http://www.latinncap.com/data/pdf/RE...RAirbag_en.pdf
Test Video:
jetti is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 18:17   #5172
BHPian

I was experiencing lot of smoke and slight reduction in power for last few weeks. Took it to Renault A.S.S today. The air filter was clogged as expected. Got it cleaned thoroughly and car feel much better now.
Old 10th October 2015, 13:26   #5173
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to mention earlier. our White Nov 2012 Duster 110 PS got the 70k service done a few weeks ago. Apart from the usual stuff. The suspension bushes front and rear were changed under warranty. With 1 year still left in the 4 year warranty happy to see this changed by Renault proactively.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 06:10   #5174

Any tentative news about the launch of duster facelift & the automatic version? The SUV + automatic space at 12-13 lacs OTR price range seems to be vacant. Hope duster fits in here and doesn't throw any disappointment like the creta auto which is close to 16 OTR.
Old 13th October 2015, 07:56   #5175
Team-BHP Support

The AWD variant takes the Duster to ~15L OTR, don't think the AT will be cheaper. AT + AWD combo might take the Duster to ~17L OTR at few places.

Most Viewed