Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2016, 22:04   #5281
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Hi Team

I am coming back to this forum after a long break. What brings me here is a query on the tyre replacement. I have done 47000 on stock tyres and am looking at options to replace this.

I definitely want to move away from MRF wanderers (this is what i had from OEM) and go for something which gives better life. While the MRF was super on ride comfort, it did have an issue of noise above 100 Km/h.

I am sure most of the original Duster buyers gang (i bought mine in Sept'2012) would have gone for tyre replacement already, so any inputs on what they chose and why would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Rohit
Hi

If you are on a strict budget but want a better replacement for the MRFs, I would recommend the Apollo Appterras. They offer superior grip, handling and steering feel at the small compromise of the ride. Life is comparable to the MRF, NVH is lower.

They are supplied as OEM tyres hence are compatible with the brakes, abs systems etc of Duster.

Thanks
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 18:23   #5282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For better ride and low noise, the best option is Micheline Latitude HT. Thats what I got for mine after 55K. I am nearing 63K now. Awesome performance. But dont expect life to hold like MRF. They should age faster, given they are softer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Hi

If you are on a strict budget but want a better replacement for the MRFs, I would recommend the Apollo Appterras. They offer superior grip, handling and steering feel at the small compromise of the ride. Life is comparable to the MRF, NVH is lower.

They are supplied as OEM tyres hence are compatible with the brakes, abs systems etc of Duster.

Thanks
Thanks Guys. Helpful leads indeed. I will have to close this thing tomorrow itself as rear tyres have developed lot of minor cuts, so can't take the car out of city at all.
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 21:45   #5283
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

Are we expecting new revamped Duster to be showcased in the upcoming AutoExpo?
Old 18th January 2016, 19:34   #5284
B_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Thanks Guys. Helpful leads indeed. I will have to close this thing tomorrow itself as rear tyres have developed lot of minor cuts, so can't take the car out of city at all.
I went for bridgestones after 65k on the MRFs. They are expensive, each one cost me 9,100. This was almost 6 months ago.

However, I see a lot of positives over MRFs:
1. Kmpl has increased by almost 2 kms on highways. I pretty much see 15 and above now. 16 and above if I do not cross 110 kmph. This is with AC on all the time.

2. Havent had a puncture as yet. MRFs were quite irritating in this area.

3. Road noise is not too bad, comparable with the MRFs.

4. The speeds have increased!
B_T is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 22:07   #5285
Senior - BHPian

Renault Duster facelift is coming up this Auto Expo.

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/01/r...snapped-211779
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 18:54   #5286
BHPian

I am having issues with the service center, and seek your assistance.
I have 2014 110PS Adventure edition Renault Duster (Diesel).

I keep complaining to them that I neither get mileage nor pickup. I am no expert and this is my way of describing the problem. I think in technical terms, there is knocking felt at low RPMS. At 2500 KM service the explanation was, sir the car is new it may take a bit more time for performance to be at its best.
At 10K service, sir we have done some ECU checks it should be better now
At 20k service, sir we have done some ECU checks it should be better now

Now, I am at 22+K. I have complained that there is no improvement. The service center says we have cleaned the EGR Valve, drive for 1.5 KM and it should improve.
I am not accepting this time, I strongly believe something is faulty and they are not doing through investigation. Have taken the matter to the renault customer care as well. But I see this going nowhere. I hear vague arguments about fuel adulteration blah blah.

Could someone guide me here please?
selvagp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 20:19   #5287
BHPian

Hello Selvagp, do you have all the problems that you have mentioned on record? If 'yes' then I guess you should complain to the higher authorities regarding this while placing a scanned copy of the same. Further, have you driven a second duster to understand the difference? At what rpm do you shift gears? Ideally every upshift should be around or above the 2k rpm mark and the shift should be completed before the rpm falls below 1800rpm. There are many more factors that may influence the poor performance you are mentioning, try a different service station if possible.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 21:14   #5288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Hello Selvagp, do you have all the problems that you have mentioned on record? If 'yes' then I guess you should complain to the higher authorities regarding this while placing a scanned copy of the same. Further, have you driven a second duster to understand the difference? At what rpm do you shift gears? Ideally every upshift should be around or above the 2k rpm mark and the shift should be completed before the rpm falls below 1800rpm. There are many more factors that may influence the poor performance you are mentioning, try a different service station if possible.
Thank you. I may not have documented proof of the problems, but it should be there on the service records. Service center has acknowledged the issue however as a current one and are not talking about the history. In my view, I have raised it in every instance and this is the only complaint I have about my duster. I am not happy with their solution that is cleaning the EGR Valve as the problem is repetitive. Yes, I do shift around 2k rpm. The knocking is very evident while tackling speed breakers even in 1st gear. No I do not have a chance to drive another duster to compare.
Old 3rd February 2016, 14:55   #5289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Visited the service centre over the weekend. As per the SA, the issue was with internal wiring which was promptly fixed.
I took our Duster AWD Diesel to Renault Silk Board on January 23rd. They cleaned the air filter, checked through the OBU port (where they didn't find anything wrong) and reset the display. Now the fuel gauge seems to be working correctly.

However I am still having a problem with fuel consumption. The display is now showing 9.2 to 9.6 kmpl even though its been a couple of weeks since I came back from the service center.

I am thoroughly mystified by this. For most of last year, fuel consumption hovered around 14kmp in the city and 18 kmpl on highways. After our last service in November 2015 (not sure if this happened after service or after the fuel gauge problem), the display started showing around 12 kmpl. Now it is less than 10 kmpl.

We got this car primarily for driving long distances on highways, so the low fuel economy has really put an end to our plans. I also don't have much hope that the fuel economy will improve on cruising in 6th gear as last December I was only able to improve it from 12.2 kmpl to 12.9 kmpl while driving mostly in 6th gear.

Can anyone who knows the mechanics of diesel engines shed any light on what could be wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
I keep complaining to them that I neither get mileage nor pickup.
My mileage has gone from bad to worse, the service center seems to be clueless and I am really upset.

Renault customer support is staffed by call center executives who neither have technical knowledge nor the ability to look through similar complaints. They have not responded to my emails.
nowwhat? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 15:34   #5290
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I may not have documented proof of the problems, but it should be there on the service records.
Service center has acknowledged the issue however as a current one and are not talking about the history. ...
Yes, I do shift around 2k rpm. The knocking is very evident while tackling speed breakers even in 1st gear..
Like Himadri-da said, only if you make sure that the "work sheet" has clear mention of your complaint, it will be treated as a 'history' with the vehicle.

It's very likely that they heard you every time & just wrote "check ECU/air filter" as "customer comments".
(If you don't force them to write, what your comment is, that helps them write something that keeps them safe..)

If you do shift at 2k rpms & drive without lugging and still notice some knocking/unstable noise, that is definitely worrisome.

However, it will help if you post some proper FE figures.
110PS is known to deliver 12-17kmpl in city & around 15-20 on highway.
But, if you have read through this thread, you might recall multiple posts, which explain why the MID shows "low FE".

Highlighting a few points:
1. This 1.5L engine gulps fuel while idling (with or without A/c).
2. If you use too much brake-braking, instead of engine braking you will end up with noticeably lower FE.
3. Maintaining steady speeds or rather steady rpms 1800-2200 range, helps you extract the best FE.
4. To add to point 3, if you use pulse & glide while on highways it further helps improve overall efficiency.
5. Recommended air pressure is 29psi - all tyres. I have found out duster has good ride at 30-31psi (all tyres)

Apart from the above points, also worth mentioning:
If you have been idling & driving gears 1-2-3 in city, or on short drives all the time - you will record 10kmpl in MID (say for 2 months == 500 kms)
Even if you drive like the best in terms of FE for a short out of city trip of 100 kms, do NOT expect the MID to read 16kmpl!
Even if you 'actually' extract 20 kmpl for the 100 km trip, the MID will average the past 600 kms & read ONLY 10.9kmpl!

(That's depressing, but accurate average of the covered kms & consumed litres)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
However I am still having a problem with fuel consumption. The display is now showing 9.2 to 9.6 kmpl even though its been a couple of weeks since I came back from the service center.
the display started showing around 12 kmpl. Now it is less than 10 kmpl.
December I was only able to improve it from 12.2 kmpl to 12.9 kmpl while driving mostly in 6th gear.

nowwhat? (nice handle )
now this:
Please check the above explained scenario.

My question:
Have you confirmed your FE by tank-full-to-tank-full method?

My suggestion:
  1. Firstly, check & adjust tyre pressure (at cold condition or <2kms of driving). set at 31psi, for this test.
  2. Warm up the engine, until you see 2 bars on temp gauge, and then drive some more (about 5-10 kms)
  3. Find a deserted road nearby & hold position, with good 2-3 kms clear track to drive ahead.
  4. Reset the FE reader.
  5. Slowly accelerate & maintain 2000 rpm in gear 5/6. (strictly up-shifting at 1800-1900 rpm)
  6. Drive over 2-3 kms while feathering the throttle to maintain 2000-2100 rpm.
  7. Please share what figure shows up as --kmpl in MID.
If this figure is also <12kmpl, then, I would say, you have a problem, not related to your driving style OR air pressure loss.

Cheers,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 3rd February 2016 at 15:47. Reason: forgot to say "Cheers"
driverace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 14:49   #5291
BHPian

Hi,

How do you guys check the DTE on the MID? I drive a Terrano but I believe the instrument cluster is the same on both the cars?

The needle thingy on the cluster only toggles between odometer and tripmeter and the MID doesn't show anything else.
Old 8th February 2016, 17:05   #5292
Senior - BHPian

There is a button on the end of the rhs stalk. It cycles thru various options.

When you are looking at one if the other info, a long press on the needle resets dte info too
Old 9th February 2016, 06:18   #5293
Senior - BHPian

Hi

I am having / noticing a weird thing:

THe headlight dims when the steering wheel is turned. Happens in either direction and it is about a 20% drop in brightness. Does not come back up if you leave the wheel turned.

Can other folks also check and see if it happens on their Dusters?

The only explanation I can think of is that the power steering draws too much power. But that should not dim the headlights & more importantly, should not stay dimmed.

Any other suggestions on why this is caused?

PS: Mods, posting this later & hence do not know how to merge posts.
Old 10th February 2016, 02:39   #5294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Hi

I am having / noticing a weird thing:

THe headlight dims when the steering wheel is turned. Happens in either direction and it is about a 20% drop in brightness. Does not come back up if you leave the wheel turned.

Can other folks also check and see if it happens on their Dusters?

The only explanation I can think of is that the power steering draws too much power. But that should not dim the headlights & more importantly, should not stay dimmed.

Any other suggestions on why this is caused?

PS: Mods, posting this later & hence do not know how to merge posts.
Hi Sridhu,
No. Light dimming on turns does not happen with my duster.
I suggest you must visit service center and check your vehicle thoroughly.
Does it happens in both low and high beams?
divyankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 02:49   #5295
BHPian

Quote:

I keep complaining to them that I neither get mileage nor pickup. I am no expert and this is my way of describing the problem. I think in technical terms, there is knocking felt at low RPMS. At 2500 KM service the explanation was, sir the car is new it may take a bit more time for performance to be at its best.
At 10K service, sir we have done some ECU checks it should be better now
At 20k service, sir we have done some ECU checks it should be better now

Now, I am at 22+K. I have complained that there is no improvement. The service center says we have cleaned the EGR Valve, drive for 1.5 KM and it should improve.
I am not accepting this time, I strongly believe something is faulty and they are not doing through investigation. Have taken the matter to the renault customer care as well. But I see this going nowhere. I hear vague arguments about fuel adulteration blah blah.

Could someone guide me here please?
Hey Selva,
I know how frustrating it can be.
I suggest take a test ride with senior service adviser first with your vehicle and then with another duster (you will easily find that in ASC). It will clear all your doubts.
Although which car you were driving earlier?
I switched from petrol Eon to Diesel duster and I know its not that smooth and quiet but it never knocks on speed breakers and pick up is superb.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks