Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 20:54   #5566
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Hi all, I need some urgent help here.

I own a Duster RxZ AWD; got delivered on January 01, 2017. The vehicle has covered some 2700 odd kms so far. On February 20, when I cranked the vehicle it didn’t start. The self start system initially responded very weakly for 2-3 times and thereafter it wouldn’t respond at all. I called the Renault RSA and they sent a mechanic who started my vehicle with another battery (which he had brought along) using Jumper cables. The mechanic suggested getting the battery checked. I, in consultation with Renault Wadi/Nagpur (from where I had purchased the vehicle) got the battery checked at a local Exide dealership who said that the battery was absolutely fine and didn’t show any drop in voltage even after 2 days for which it was kept in their custody.

Later, on March 04, 2017 during first free service at Renault Nagpur service center (165 kms from my place Amravati/Maharashtra where there is no dealership/service station of Renault) I raised this issue but the SA replied that it could be a case of battery getting discharged due to some electrical equipment that might have remained ON. But I was sure that I always turn off electricals before shutting down the vehicle. However since I had to return the same day I didn’t escalated the issue any further assuming that it might be one off co-incidental snag. But the same thing happened on March 13 (again RSA guys came and started the vehicle with jumper cables) and even today on March 16 (evening). Luckily this time vehicle is parked at my home and I haven’t called the RSA guys so far.

What to do now? What could be the possible cause of the problem and how to best deal with this issue?

As said earlier, I presently reside 165 kms away from Renault Nagpur service Center and cannot go to them every now and then.

Thanks.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th April 2017 at 09:24. Reason: Edited for better readability
Old 16th March 2017, 21:29   #5567
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Short term (peace of mind non)solution:- buy a charger, and a multimeter.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th March 2017, 22:53   #5568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agt7 View Post
As said earlier, I presently reside 165 kms away from Renault Nagpur service Center and cannot go to them every now and then.
Have you observed your instrument cluster? When we turn the key to ignition position all the indicators on instrument cluster lit up, in that there is also a battery charging indicator (usually red color), which stays on for some time. As the vehicle starts moving and the alternator begins charging the battery, this "battery" symbol on the instrument cluster vanishes, indicating a healthy charging system. If it does not and stays "ON" like that, it means there is some fault in your charging system and battery may not be getting charged at all.

If the above battery indicator is working as expected and still your battery is not getting charged then a thorough inspection at the service centre is warranted to get to the root cause of this issue.
Old 17th March 2017, 01:14   #5569
BHPian

This could be due to leakage, cut naked wire or some electronic system malfunctioning like audio system. If there is an Exide service center nearby. Get it checked there. The service engineers carry a Midtronics battery tester which can detect issues with car too.
Most Exide Care dealers too have this tester but a lower variant which can check only the cranking and charging currents.
Old 17th March 2017, 13:35   #5570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agt7 View Post
Hi all, I need some urgent help here.

I own a Duster RxZ AWD; got delivered on January 01, 2017.

What to do now? What could be the possible cause of the problem and how to best deal with this issue?

Thanks.
I own a 2014 RxZ AWD. During my last service visit to the ASC, I came across a Kwid AMT owner who narrated a similar problem. The car was brand new (just a week old after delivery) and occasionally refused to start . The owner had to call the ASC everytime and they started it using a spare battery and jumper cables. He was then called to the ASC where they diagnosed - what the ASC termed as a wiring harness problem. When I saw the car that day, some portions of the wiring was being changed.

Not sure whether you have a similar case , worth asking the ASC to check the entire wiring harness. Do drop a note to Renault Customer Service as well. I am assuming here that you have carried out no electrical modifications.

I doubt whether you can solve this without the ASC being involved , your distance from the nearest service center surely does complicate matters.
DriveTrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 12:00   #5571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Have you observed your instrument cluster? When we turn the key to ignition position all the indicators on instrument cluster lit up, in that there is also a battery charging indicator (usually red color), which stays on for some time. As the vehicle starts moving and the alternator begins charging the battery, this "battery" symbol on the instrument cluster vanishes, indicating a healthy charging system. If it does not and stays "ON" like that, it means there is some fault in your charging system and battery may not be getting charged at all.

If the above battery indicator is working as expected and still your battery is not getting charged then a thorough inspection at the service centre is warranted to get to the root cause of this issue.
Well that's something I will surely observe when vehicle starts next time. As of now I m taking it to the Renault Mobile Service Camp today for a check up. Hope they could find the root of the problem.
Sorry for late reply.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargville View Post
This could be due to leakage, cut naked wire or some electronic system malfunctioning like audio system. If there is an Exide service center nearby. Get it checked there. The service engineers carry a Midtronics battery tester which can detect issues with car too.
Most Exide Care dealers too have this tester but a lower variant which can check only the cranking and charging currents.
Yes this could well be one of the possible reasons. Will be determined today itself I hope. I have called up the Exide guys to start the vehicle.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
I own a 2014 RxZ AWD. During my last service visit to the ASC, I came across a Kwid AMT owner who narrated a similar problem. The car was brand new (just a week old after delivery) and occasionally refused to start . The owner had to call the ASC everytime and they started it using a spare battery and jumper cables. He was then called to the ASC where they diagnosed - what the ASC termed as a wiring harness problem. When I saw the car that day, some portions of the wiring was being changed.

Not sure whether you have a similar case , worth asking the ASC to check the entire wiring harness. Do drop a note to Renault Customer Service as well. I am assuming here that you have carried out no electrical modifications.

I doubt whether you can solve this without the ASC being involved , your distance from the nearest service center surely does complicate matters.
Sure it might be a similar case. Will be confirmed today after checking at ASC service camp. Fingers crossed.
I have not altered anything in any manner.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^

Regards
Sutripta
Well, I m scared of this thought of keeping multimeter and charger. I hope it is resolved soon.
Thanks

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th April 2017 at 09:24. Reason: Edited for better readability (removed white spaces)
Old 30th March 2017, 11:26   #5572
BHPian

Seems to be a typical case of short circuit or a parasitic electric draw somewhere in the wiring. Follow this video to find the leakage:

For any further questions : you can check it at www.dusterclubindia.com
Old 30th March 2017, 11:40   #5573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Sutripta
As (correctly) said above, the charger + multimeter solution is a good to have one non-solution. Faulty wiring can never be acceptable even if you are having it in a chicken coop, let alone a 15L brand new vehicle. I am not giving you any scares, but please do a search on threads about vehicles that have caught fire. IIRC, the last one is a 1.5 year-old Jetta TDI.

Rather than playing with fire, elevate the issue and ask them to find out the root cause.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 30th March 2017 at 11:41.
Old 30th March 2017, 12:30   #5574
BHPian

It could be from an accessory fitting also or by any fix done by the asc
Old 1st April 2017, 13:28   #5575
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am about to pick up a new Duster AMT and may take delivery next week.

- do I need underbody protection for a vehicle that has a GC of 205mm?

What else fellow TBHPians would recommend from the list of accessories below ?(other than mats of course; mud flaps etc. are standard for the RxZ variant).

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-img20170331wa0002.jpg  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 1st April 2017 at 13:30.
Old 1st April 2017, 14:00   #5576

Greetings everyone.

I am gratified and proud owner of a 2015 Duster 85PS.

Had a few queries if anyone can help with.

1. I recently wanted to get some of the Duster accessories fitted. I had decided on the Reverse Parking Camera and Security Upgrade.
However, I was told that the Security Upgrade has been discontinued (by Dee Dee Motors Private Limited, Dehradun). Surprisingly this is listed on the website.
Anyone who got it fitted recently or was told regarding it not being available. I'm hoping it is available as I'm moving close to Coimbatore (and looking forward to the drive ) and planning to get it fitted there.

2. While using Torque Pro with a OBDII bluetooth adapter, the app reports available sensors as:
  • Calculated engine load value
  • Engine RPM
  • Engine coolant temperature
  • Fuel Rail Pressure
  • Intake air temperature
  • Intake manifold pressure
  • MAF air flow rate
  • Throttle position
  • Vehicle speed
  • Distance travelled since codes cleared
  • Distance travelled with malfunction indicator lamp on
  • No of trouble codes & I/M info
  • No of warm-ups since codes cleared
  • OBD standards this vehicle conforms to
However, I'm not able to get Throttle position and also MAF rate. Anyone using OBDII adaptor + Torque Pro?

Rest has been amazing with the Duster. Done two trips in Nepal through bad or non-existent roads, and covered the country from East to West. Had really wonderful trips through the mountains of Bhutan and Sikkim (right upto Nathu La).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th April 2017 at 09:25. Reason: Please do not type like... this....
kanchudeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 09:26   #5577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Guys, I am about to pick up a new Duster AMT and may take delivery next week.

- do I need underbody protection for a vehicle that has a GC of 205mm?

What else fellow TBHPians would recommend from the list of accessories below ?(other than mats of course; mud flaps etc. are standard for the RxZ variant).

Thanks.
Congratulations Sandeep.
Underbody coating is good to have not a must. Get it done from the authorized 3M outlet and not the dealer.
Go for 3M Noodle mats. Worth the investment.
C300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 20:42   #5578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Congratulations Sandeep.
Underbody coating is good to have not a must. Get it done from the authorized 3M outlet and not the dealer.
Go for 3M Noodle mats. Worth the investment.
Regarding noodle mats, it is about 50-60 rupees a sqft in the open market. Just a comparison point for 3M Noodle mats.

Yes you have to cut it yourself but it is not that much of an issue if you normally do some work. Takes about 60-90 minutes.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 14:57   #5579
BHPian

Few queries to all duster owners at team-bhp:

What are the few things one should keep in mind if one is looking for the duster in preowned market?
Is buying a preowned duster a good idea?
Any major difference with respect to facelift model?
Any particular thing that the duster owners here would like to advice?
Any maintenance issues/major work in the long term?
Ideal mileage? Which variant would be good 85 or 110?
Has anybody here got himself/herself a preowned duster? How has been the experience?

A friend of mine was looking to buy a preowned duster and he has no idea what to expect from a 3-4 year old vehicle. I'm a total noob outside Maruti and Honda have but I have taken it upon myself to get the necessary information since I was sure fellow bhpians would come to the rescue. All your inputs will be valuable. Thanks in advance.
Old 5th April 2017, 15:10   #5580
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Today's Times ad mentions a new RxS trim for the Duster. I couldnt find it on the website.
Anybody here aware of features and where it is slotted in the hierarchy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks