Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2018, 15:08   #5776
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

In my opinion, Renault India sat on the success of the Duster for too long, while the competition kept nipping away at their market share. I am a fairly satisfied owner of a Duster AWD. My biggest gripe is the crappy/dashboard and center console. I am sure they can do something about it. I didn't really care about the new headlights in the refesh model.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 12:40   #5777
BHPian

My Duster 85 RXL (O) is coming up for 50K service and its still in the warranty. I bought the duster when it had run 40K and the previous owner had just serviced the Duster. I have few issues and need some information before going to the service center -

1. The front shocks makes loud thud and rattling noise. I am getting a lot of feedback on the steering when the road surface is bad. Can duster shocks go kaput at 50K?
2. When the headlights are on and if I turn the steering a bit also, the headlight dims and stays dim till I center the steering
3. Its becoming harder to engage 1st gear, 2nd gear and reverse gear. There is also almost 1.5 inches of play in the clutch pedal.
4. Brake pedal has almost 2 inches of play, where nothing happens. There is grinding noise as well when braking gradually.
5. Grinding noise while slowing down, meaning when i lift my leg from the accelerator and let the vehicle roll in gear on a slope.
6. Wobbly feeling from the front wheels and sideways movement during acceleration. Took it to wheels balancing/alignment, as per mechanic there its the issue with tyre as they are nearing their life. Replacing them should solve point 6.

Since this will be my first experience with Renault service center, I don't want them to take me for a ride. Any information or suggestion on the above issues is welcome

Regards
Old 6th March 2018, 14:50   #5778
BHPian

I have a Duster AWD and the experience of owning it since December 2015 and covering close to 44000 km has brought out some problems during use. Let me try to comment on on the problems you face:

1. The shocks can fail in some cases below 20K. I have not faced this problem so far, but expect it any time. Check the suspension and steering assembly.

2. This is another problem I have not faced. Check the electrical connections on the high beam/low beam stalk.

3. My clutch failed at 35K and had to be replaced at my cost. Do you have shudder at low speeds?

4. Brake calipers usually last only 40K. I did not need to replace them, but will have to do so at the 50K service.

5. May be the clutch is worn out

6. This is probably the OEM tyres. I replaced them at 39K, since the tyres were worn down to the steel thread.

Book an appointment with Renault ASS and take time to understand the problem. If you are not convinced, show it to another Renault ASS or even a multivehicle workshop for a second opinion. Don't just agree to what they say, ask some hard questions.

All the best.
Old 6th March 2018, 19:20   #5779
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
1. The front shocks makes loud thud and rattling noise. I am getting a lot of feedback on the steering when the road surface is bad. Can duster shocks go kaput at 50K?
  1. See point 6. These issues are related.
  2. Thats normal. Its a slight dimming. Just get the battery checked to be doubly sure. Thing to note is the battery voltage during engine cranking. Should not fall below 12 V. Battery shops check with a voltmeter. Original battery is a sealed design, you dont need to check water etc.
  3. Get the clutch hydraulic circuit bleeding done. This will ensure all entrapped air in the circuit is removed. Air in hydraulic circuits cause vague pedal feel since air is compressible. Later you might go for clutch replacement if suggested by service center.
  4. Get the brakes bled. Same reason as the clutch. Also check the brake discs and pads.
  5. Pads and disks need checking like i mentioned. It is highly likely previous owner just got the pads changed and the discs are the same which came from the factory.
  6. I’m sure your tyres are at the fag end of their life. Tyres last 35 to 40 k kms only. As the tyres wear out they become thin and the pressurised air makes them like over filled balloons. That makes any road undulation travel up in the suspension system since there is no cushioning effect of rubber. This will give you a hard steering, thuds, uneven pulling to left or right etc. Get a new set of tyres before touching anything with the suspension. This is the same reason why people aafter a tyre change rave about excellent grip reduced noise of xxx brand over old brand.

Last edited by ampere : 20th March 2018 at 10:04. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 20:02   #5780
BHPian

I am due for fourth year,40000 Km service of my Duster. Is there anything specific that I need to look in at the time of service such as brake drums etc. What sort of costs are we looking at for the paid service.
Old 8th March 2018, 09:14   #5781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
I am due for fourth year,40000 Km service of my Duster. Is there anything specific that I need to look in at the time of service such as brake drums etc. What sort of costs are we looking at for the paid service.
I recently completed 40k service. Only brake pads were replaced. SA advised to replace suspension components at 50k service.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 13:13   #5782

MediaNav Toolbox: Update: The service is unavailable at the moment

My Duster is with my father and I tried updating the MediaNav maps/software with the Renault Media Nav Toolbox software. However I get this message:
Error detected!
The service is unavailable at this moment. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
Please try again later!
(Screenshot of the same is attached)

Anyone facing similar problem or anyone who is able to connect to check for updates? I was able to do a successful update last year around March...

Regards...
Attached Images

Old 16th March 2018, 13:21   #5783
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: MediaNav Toolbox: Update: The service is unavailable at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanchudeep View Post
Anyone facing similar problem or anyone who is able to connect to check for updates? I was able to do a successful update last year around March...
i did an update about 1.5 month ago. it worked ok.

it seems the service of downloading the maps through toolbox is unavailable. must be some internet connectivity with server issue. will check today and reply.
Old 20th March 2018, 01:36   #5784
BHPian

Points Renault may like to note

I am a Duster owner,

Dear Renault,

Here are a few things duster owners in general would like to point out to you. These points are distilled from this thread of duster owners.

Good points first:
1)Great car, macho looks, decent engine, excellent suspension.
2)Fuel efficiency and rugged nature

Now the pain points:(this is why my next car buy would not be a Renault)
1) EXTREMELY inflated spare prices. You cannot justify saying high quality as exact same spares cost much lower at Nissan terrano and Logan.
2) poor after sales service. Especially since service is so expensive, errors in service or padding bills cannot be as easily forgiven as a maruti or Hyundai.

Even though duster is reliable, all it takes is one non routine issue to end up with an astronomical bill and the ownership experience becomes bitter.
3) non availability of parts over the counter: To some extent this will solve problem 2 above.

This reputation maybe one reason why your new products are not selling well.

I would really like to buy more cars from you, AFTER you change your ways. I like the way you approach design in your own way n not being too influenced by peers and auto gurus.

I am posting this in case somebody at Renault will read this and gain a few insights that can make owning a Renault easier.

Thanks,
A duster owner and fan. (Albeit an apprehensive one)
Joe-Ker is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 05:28   #5785
Senior - BHPian

The same spares costs you less if it is a Logan, Terrano is sold at a much higher price, so they may be liberal in pricing the parts. Duster or any other Renault car shares many parts with Logan.

Last edited by deehunk : 20th March 2018 at 05:29.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 12:41   #5786
BHPian

Joe-Ker, you have very nicely placed the observation of a majority of Duster owners. It is a very good vehicle, we can live with the crappy interiors, but the premature failure of injectors, clutch, suspension and even small things like the AC knob is not acceptable. These hike up the cost of ownership.

Renault does not bother about ownership complaint. They have call centers who do not respond effectively to any complaint. If they don't want to listen to owners and try to improve the Duster, present owners will not be loyal repeat customers and advice to prospective buyers will be negative.
I had addressed a complaint to their CEO, but all I got was some ill informed call centre employee asking me what the problem was; they couldn't be bothered to read a detailed observation I had provided.

I second you as another Duster owner who will never buy Renault vehicles next time. Since I have spent 15 lakhs on the Duster AWD, I will follow GTO's advice and use it as much as I can. Of course I have learned from experience that a Duster journey is unpredictable and I may land up in unexpected places (read spend time on the highway waiting for road side assistance, Renault ASS etc), so I don't book any accommodation when I use the Duster. Prefer to go by flight or train when accommodation booking is essential.

The availability of parts is another issue. When you have a breakdown and the vehicle is in Renault ASS, be prepared for at least a week's wait to get the vehicle back.

So who wants to buy Renault vehicles?
SajiNSalin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 12:57   #5787
Senior - BHPian

I had been a strict fan of MT till I drove the AMT variant of Duster quite a few times in last 4 days. I always had my BIL's vehicle to drive but always avoided, it just happened on last weekend. Then it was followed by couple of test drives yesterday, I fell in love with it and have booked a 2018 RXZ AMT variant at Silk board showroom. It is a brave decision in 2018 but it was difficult to hide my love for this vehicle. I have decided to retain my WR-V too,

Last edited by deehunk : 20th March 2018 at 13:00.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 13:32   #5788
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Ker View Post
Now the pain points:(this is why my next car buy would not be a Renault)
1) EXTREMELY inflated spare prices. You cannot justify saying high quality
Many on this forum may be shocked to know that the 110 radiator fan cost 19K (yes that is 19 with three zeros after it). The front grille (first gen 85/105) cost 19K (yes again 19 with three zeros after). Frankly the cost of spares are just ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
I second you as another Duster owner who will never buy Renault vehicles next time. Since I have spent 15 lakhs on the Duster AWD, I will follow GTO's advice and use it as much as I can.
So who wants to buy Renault vehicles?
Same with my friend and myself. Both Duster 110 owners, mine is AWD. I enjoy every moment of driving my AWD, but frankly have had enough of Renault. I can strongly say that Renault India is now a rudderless ship floating where the current takes it.

The Kaputur should have been lauched with Automatic from the get go and preferably AWD. And for god's sake don't sell a "premium" product with 9.99 lakh price tag in your advertisement !!
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 11:15   #5789
BHPian

Anybody has experience with Michelin LTX force tyres on Duster.

My stock MRF is due for replacement. I got a quote of 9300/- for LTX
Old 27th March 2018, 12:44   #5790
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Anybody has experience with Michelin LTX force tyres on Duster.
Considered LTX force or Primacy SUV (both from Michelin) while changing recently. Went with Primacy SUV because at the shop the following things went through my mind:
  • Primacy SUV was lighter
  • 95% of the running was on highways (better tyre for the purpose)
  • A little cheaper than LTX Force
  • Who was I going to be kidding putting an off road tyre on the 2WD Duster

Later I found that the steering effort was greatly reduced (from when I had the old Apollos) and the road noise was slightly lesser. Rest all of the good changes felt like they were owing to the change to brand new tyres with lots of tread compared to Apollos with 40k on them. Hoping that the Michelins last 50k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks