Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2018, 14:34   #5806
BHPian

Hi friends,

My Renault Duster RxZ (AWD) is due for 20K service (3rd free service). As we all know, SAs recommend a whole lot of things to be done during service. Kindly advise me as to what jobs/works are absolutely necessary and what is to be avoided. Any additional precautions I need to take ?

Moreover, I have observed that the maps provided by the default Navigation system of Duster are not as updated as that of Google maps/Navigation. Does the Renault ASC provide updates for the map? More importantly, is this update, if any, good and recommended ? Do they charge for it?

Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 17:21   #5807
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

You will need to change the oil, oil filter, air filter etc. There should be no other costly work to be carried out. Do not get wheel alignment done through them, better to go to a reputed tyre dealer. You ask them to update the default Navigation software, they do this free of cost. Generally I found the AWD navigation system reliable, but sometimes it has difficulty receiving satellites.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 12:30   #5808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
Do not get wheel alignment done through them, better to go to a reputed tyre dealer.

Ok. Does it mean I should not ask the ASS men to rotate the tires and get it done from some Tyre dealer as suggested by you ?

Also what's your opinion regarding changing AC filter as they (ASS) would definitely suggest it. They had suggested it during 10K service too but I declined it.

Generally I found the AWD navigation system reliable, but sometimes it has difficulty receiving satellites.
Yes, it is good for the most part. But on some occasions (while doing Nagpur-Chhindwara-Seoni route) it suggested me to enter into a City (Chhindwara) while there was bypass road available. There have been a few other such instances too. Moreover, when going on a set route if I try to take a shortcut or alternative route, the system keeps prompting to rerun to the originally set route. Is it normal ? For reference, I don't have much experience of using navigation maps.

Thanks.
Old 14th May 2018, 14:45   #5809
BHPian

I had one experience with Renault ASS doing the wheel alignment and afterwards the steering was wobbling and vibrating at around 120kmph. I took it back to them and they sorted it out, but two visits for the same got me less confident in their capability. On the other hand my regular MRF dealer does a very good job of wheel alignment and rotation and I prefer to stick with them. Once the camber setting was way off and MRF suggested that I get it corrected with Renault, which they did free of cost.
You need to find a good wheel alignment place (they will be very busy of course) and stick with them.

The AWD navigation needs to be updated whenever it becomes available. You can ask Renault if this is available, and they do it free of cost. My current version is fairly good and does the job reasonably well. Of course, it may not be aware of recent road availability, so sometimes can lead you astray.

If you set a route and deviate from that, the navigation will reconfigure and suggest a new route in line with your current course. For some distance after deviation from the set course, it will try to get you back to the original course, but if you don't do that, it will reconfigure. Probably the reason it suggested the city route instead of the bypass is for distance minimisation. There are some settings in navigation that you can change to enable the bypass route. I use it all the time, many times just to make sure that it is working. Sometimes it is not able to lock on to enough satellites so the red arrow head will turn light red and get stuck. The navigation maps are quite detailed and have small country roads also. Overall it is a useful feature, as it does not depend on network availability, only GPS satellite availability. However, in forested regions or places with heavy tree cover, satellite visibility may not be good.

Change the AC filter only if you drive in very dusty conditions and you notice a significant drop in cooling performance. I have completed the 40k service and am currently at 45k. I don't think I have changed the AC filter, but I need to check.
Old 16th May 2018, 23:30   #5810
BHPian

Quote:
The AWD navigation needs to be updated whenever it becomes available.

Probably the reason it suggested the city route instead of the bypass is for distance minimisation. There are some settings in navigation that you can change to enable the bypass route.

Change the AC filter only if you drive in very dusty conditions and you notice a significant drop in cooling performance
What is the normal time interval for release of updates? Have you ever updated your's and how it worked after the update? My Duster is 17 months old and I haven't updated it so far.

Actually the city tour as suggested by the system was longer, crowded and apparently took more time. However I would definitely check on those navigation settings. Thanks for the input.

Out of 20K that my Duster has done, about 85-90% of it has been done in very clean conditions. And I can't see any noticeable drop in cooling. So I would be better off not going for an AC filter change.

Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 12:29   #5811
BHPian

I ask the Renault fellows if any update is available and I have updated twice since I bought the vehicle in December 2015. Otherwise, I don't know when these updates become available. The updates are good, and the current version is far better than the original I got. I regularly use the Navigation. I think in the last 17 months, one update should be available.

Regarding the AC filter change, it is not required as you don't notice any difference in cooling.
Old 18th May 2018, 20:09   #5812
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: MediaNav Toolbox: Update: The service is unavailable at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanchudeep View Post
My Duster is with my father and I tried updating the MediaNav maps/software with the Renault Media Nav Toolbox software. However I get this message:
Error detected!
Updated today. Software version changed from 4.0.6 to 4.1.0
Maps also upgraded with 54 mb of new data.

Last edited by ampere : 5th June 2018 at 13:56. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 15:33   #5813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeast View Post
Dear Friends,
booked myself a Duster 85 PS(RXS). Delivery due in 2 weeks, I am not sure how these 2 weeks will pass by.

Cheers!
I am also considering Duster. I had asked in another thread but will repeat here too. I am almost decided on the Duster. It is within Renault that I have a problem. I TD'd both the RxS CVT (petrol) and the RxZ AMT (Diesel). I like the CVT one as a technology - there is no noticeable lag in between the gears. But I dont like the trim levels or the other stuff - like no reverse camera, not Climate control, no cruise control. All of these are in the AMT but I dont know if I will ever get used to that lurch in between the gears. I drive very less so Petrol or Diesel makes not much difference but I am leaning towards petrol as the premium for diesel and my usage does not seem justified. What made you choose this version?
Old 1st June 2018, 16:54   #5814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I am also considering Duster. What made you choose this version?
My simple answer, I was looking for a compact SUV or a Sedan (diesel) which should be comfortable for 5 people (most of the time) with spacious boot and should not have an ex-showroom price more than 10 Lac INR and must have ABS, EBD, Dual Airbags or more, Alloys and a good ground clearance. Prefer to have disc in all 4 tyres (big ask in this segment ).

Chose RxS 85PS diesel (minimum turbo lag) and very comfortable drive on bad roads / no roads. Wanted a 4 wheel / All wheel driveo or even an automatic diesel but there was budget constraint. RxS was the best bet then. Till now I have driven only 780kms, mostly trips to office and back (22km a side) ,2-3 family drives to a food joint near the Bangalore airport (35kms a side) or a restaurant (20 Kms a side) with all five occupants and the drive was just perfect. Though the interiors look like a truck not at all sophisticated but I can live with those.

What made me choose a Duster?

I shortlisted Maruti Suzuki Ciaz (Delta Smart Hybrid), Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza (ZDI), Ford EcoSport (Trend +) and Renault Duster (RxS). Was only looking for a diesel with the a fixed budget so did not consider / test drive Duster CVT (Petrol) or Diesel AMT.

Test Drives & Dealer Experience
1. Vitara Brezza (ZDI) - (Waiting period 3 months)
Maruti dealer experience (Pratham Motors) was just perfect. As soon as I requested for a test drive on the website, within 24 hours got a call and a test was arranged. Test drove Brezza, for me I felt it was a bigger Swift, don't like it at all. Can seat 5, but boot was small for a family trip where there is a baby stroller as well. It was bumpy on the bad roads with pot holes and even didn't get confidence when breaking hard. Even Mrs. didn't like it.

2. Nexa - Ciaz (Delta) - (Waiting period - 20 days)
Again the dealership experience was good. Test car was sent to my office, after just one phone call (Pratham Motors arranged test drive from Nexa dealership from Belandur for me as well). Liked the overall stance of the car, space and drive, but missing the Alloy wheels (I can live with those). Though it has one of the best ground clearance, but when the car was driven with 5 on board (bulky - office colleagues), its belly was scratched 2 times on different speed breakers (read car breakers ). Its was instant NO in my mind. Dealer was ready to give me some cash discounts as well, but the under belly scratching made me to change my mind. Though I would say that those car breakers were unusually high, but still.

3. Ford Eco-sport (Trend +)
Didn't test drive, even after so many calls and emails Ford dealers were not even interested in giving / arranging a test drive. So I got a little snubbed with the brand and gave it a pass. I am a little amazed or can say shocked to see a brand like Ford which still doesn't have a grip in the Indian Car Market treats prospective buyers like this. Though I still like to drive my friend's Ford Classic sometimes.

Renault Duster RsX (diesel) 85 PS - (Waiting period for some colors 1 Month)
Called Trident, as its the only dealer in Bangalore with multiple showrooms. Had a first test drive from Renault JP Nagar, car was not in a good condition seated 4 with the baby and the suspension handled the bad roads like charm. Fall in love instantly. Even wifey liked the view from the front seat and when she sat in the back she came out saying how comfortable it was.
Had a second test drive from Renault Silk board, test drive was good but the sales executive was least interested in selling the car. Was making faces when I was enquiring about the after sales and other details. Loved the car as before but didn't like the dealer.
Went to JP Nagar and Red Duster was parked and it was again the love at first sight. Even the interiors of the car are towards the red color. After all the discounts, negotiations and other freebies, booked the car and as promised by the dealer got my RED BEAST on 19th May 2018. .

I will be posting my detailed ownership experience after 2K Kms.

On the day of delivery my kiddo on the Red Beast
Renault Duster : Official Review-img20180519wa0014.jpg
DBeast is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 15:42   #5815

First of all congratulations on getting the vehicle. I have booked the 85ps white duster from yelhanka showroom. I would like to know what are the discounts did you get, anything to negotiate with the dealer.
Veer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 12:56   #5816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veer View Post
First of all congratulations on getting the vehicle. I have booked the 85ps white duster from yelhanka showroom. I would like to know what are the discounts did you get, anything to negotiate with the dealer.
Hi Veer, thanks and congratulations to you too! I got the corporate discount of around 10k+Dealer's discount of 8K as I agreed to buy the vehicle which was in stock (January manufactured)+10K discount on the insurance and 8K for some carnival (which I am not sure of). Also, managed to get some accessories as freebies.

What I understood from the overall dealing is that, the Sales executives as well their managers still have some targets to achieve w.r.t to Dusters due to its poor sales and the arrival of Capture. I still think I could have negotiated more!

Last edited by ampere : 5th June 2018 at 13:56. Reason: Formatted
Old 5th June 2018, 14:23   #5817
BHPian

Quote:
If you set a route and deviate from that, the navigation will reconfigure and suggest a new route in line with your current course. For some distance after deviation from the set course, it will try to get you back to the original course, but if you don't do that, it will reconfigure. Probably the reason it suggested the city route instead of the bypass is for distance minimisation. There are some settings in navigation that you can change to enable the bypass route. I use it all the time, many times just to make sure that it is working. Sometimes it is not able to lock on to enough satellites so the red arrow head will turn light red and get stuck. The navigation maps are quite detailed and have small country roads also. Overall it is a useful feature, as it does not depend on network availability, only GPS satellite availability. However, in forested regions or places with heavy tree cover, satellite visibility may not be good.
A quick question regarding the navigation. I have RXS model which does not have the navigation, but on the screen (head unit), it shows an option of maps and navigation. I tried scrolling through these option and I could see that its showing me the live coordinates of my vehicle. Is there any way I can try to download and upload maps to this system. I don't think Renault would have 2 different head units, one with navigation and other without. Any say?
Old 10th June 2018, 01:05   #5818
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Got the 1.3 Lac service done on our November 2012 model 110RxZ(O). Average yearly running 24,000 km.

Attaching the picture of the bill. Solenoid valve for Turbo Speed Regulator was changed since the pick-up was sluggish. AC knob for air flow direction was not working and needed checking which was done by taking the whole dashboard out. Long pending issue of left pulling has been attended for now, will keep an eye on tyre wear. The car is still running on its original clutch (should be good till the next service at least).

Renault Duster : Official Review-11.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-22.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-33.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-44.jpg

Driving this model (old gen) seems like driving a tractor now compared to the new gen duster. All controls are so heavy, even the accelerator. Doors feel hollow now that the seals are getting old. Otherwise in terms of pulling it goes better than the new gen one.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 10:16   #5819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeast View Post
A quick question regarding the navigation. I have RXS model which does not have the navigation, but on the screen (head unit), it shows an option of maps and navigation. I tried scrolling through these option and I could see that its showing me the live coordinates of my vehicle. Is there any way I can try to download and upload maps to this system. I don't think Renault would have 2 different head units, one with navigation and other without. Any say?
I remember the SA told me that you need to get that activated from the service center, and they charge for the same. But honestly, I don't even use that in-built navgation. GMaps is way better.
Repsol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 12:53   #5820
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Duster AWD and the experience of owning it since December 2015 and covering close to 44000 km has brought out some problems during use. Let me try to comment on on the problems you face:

3. My clutch failed at 35K and had to be replaced at my cost. Do you have shudder at low speeds?

4. Brake calipers usually last only 40K. I did not need to replace them, but will have to do so at the 50K service.

5. May be the clutch is worn out

6. This is probably the OEM tyres. I replaced them at 39K, since the tyres were worn down to the steel thread.

All the best.

Hi, how much did the clutch replacement cost you?
I have a 2012 Duster done 54000 Km. The clutch is hard from the beginning but at last service, the SA suggested clutch replacement, though there is no shudder or loss of power or increase in clutch play. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks