Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2019, 10:54   #5986
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
However, I was not impressed with the Audio quality (am a big music buff) and will end up upgrading the sound equipment. Not sure if the issue is with the console or the speakers.

Let's see when I am able to get the Duster in my garage. In the meantime, I will be eagerly waiting to hear of your experiences with your Duster.
Hello Civic, apologies for late reply. I have been away. Yes the music system is mediocre. I was informed about the same before purchase but it was not a big factor for me & thought one can upgrade the same aftermarket anyways.

My friend did in fact dragged me to a place which can hook up a great music system. Shop fellow proposed to makeover my cabin into the front-seats of Royal Conservatory, for the cost of just 20K ! I walked out. Current setup is sufficient for me, surely for now.

I honestly don't understand much about car sound systems. Personally I find it bit distracting while driving. But yes, I have seen several dusters hooked up to big sound systems. One of my colleague has sacrificed almost 25% of the boot for the music box. Not gonna lie, it does sound superb. Also you feel the difference moving from say Nexon cabin (Harman), to Duster. Music setup is surely not a forte of Renault.

I look forward to you bringing in the new duster & its experience. I missed the facelift by barely a week. Let me know if any queries in the meantime
Old 10th August 2019, 12:01   #5987
BHPian

Alright, so its been over a month now with my new Duster. We have crossed 4000 Kms mark together.

Got the first free servicing done (scheduled for 2000 kms or 2 months, whichever is earlier). I tried to book the appointment through My Renault app. Unfortunately it showed available slots for only after a day's gap (maybe because I tried in late evening). I wanted to get the service done asap before I head off to Goa. So I decided to give them a call. Executive was polite & helpful. She hurriedly checked and said yes sir we can schedule servicing tomorrow morning, forget the app. I was gonna be busy throughout the say so opted for pickup/drop. Pickup guy arrived albeit late.

I wanted to get those wheel arc cladding and couldn't find anywhere aftermarket. So called up the service center for the same. He told me that they don't have it and you'll have to go to Thane service center as no other renault outlet in Mumbai has accessories. He was not even ready to get them arranged. I called up Thane outlet and requested them to send someone in Andheri service center fix up the required. He refused as well, he said you can get that accessory only in our outlet and only we have the technician who can fix it up. This is after me offering to pay for technician's trouble of commuting and extra efforts. I was disappointed and gave him some gyaan about customer convenience, but in vain. Now I will have to waste half a day, just to go to Thane for this small thing. Barely couple of hours go by and I get call back from the same guy. He informs me not to worry as he is sending the technician to service center and will have everything sorted. I was relieved and thanked him for being considerate.

I got the car back in evening. Total of invoice was some 4500 INR only. If anyone wants to put up original OEM accessory, please call up the local Renault outlet. There is a huge difference between what they quote online/app and what you can get it for. For example, small thing like this wheel cladding cost me barely 5k, while it shows about 12K online!

The interiors were not really cleaned up well. Rest was ok. I made point to put up that feedback. Over the next couple of days, I found that car is now definitely smoother than before servicing. Other issues like disturbing sound of loose cabinet around dashboard were fixed. While this wasn't a big servicing milestone, I was relatively satisfied with the experience.

For the feedback I had put up, I got a call from the same lady to inquire details. Then she said they regret that interiors were not cleaned up well & offered me some free car wash coupon over mail with free pickup/drop, valid for limited time. I did not use it but appreciate their gesture.

Just few days pass by, and I get a call from Renault call-center to inquire about my showroom purchase feedback. She had about 15 questions to rate every parameter in buying new Renault vehicle. Then I realize hey that showroom is yet to provide HSRP secure number plate, which they promised within 24hrs of car delivery. I informed her the same and she apologized only to call back in 15 minutes. She said that executive will reach your car location in next couple of hours to fix up the HSRP. She was candid enough to tell me that my HSRP plate was lying around in showroom for a month and nobody in showroom bothered to put it in order

I shall share my long-drive experience on highways in consecutive post.
ndp88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 19:42   #5988
BHPian

So upgraded my tires to the maxxis bravo AT 235/60R16 at 197k km. Sourced this for 5.9k each from Tyre zone Delhi. They reached me in about 10 days via VRL , cost 1.2k in shipping. Still saved about Rupees 6k over Bangalore prices. Latest May 2019 manufacturing date. Got the wheels balanced, the valves replaced, alignment done. Cost another Rs1.1k . Drove 200 kms since then , nicer comfier ride and lesser road noise compared to the MRF wanderers I used on the past 3 sets. Pretty happy with these upsize purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-20190807_155422.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20190807_173634.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20190807_182721.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20190807_182737.jpg  

mh09ad5578 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 21:56   #5989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
So upgraded my tires to the maxxis bravo AT 235/60R16 at 197k km.
Drove 200 kms since then , nicer comfier ride and lesser road noise compared to the MRF wanderers I used on the past 3 sets. Pretty happy with these upsize purchase.
Looking nice!! Congrats on the upsize. A/T always good on the Duster. How is the braking feel? Thats quite an upsize and tyres I assume will be heavier. Take care for first few hundred kms please. Braking distance needs to be recalibrated in head generally. Enjoy!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 20:27   #5990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
How is the braking feel? Take care for first few hundred kms please. Braking distance needs to be recalibrated in head generally.
Thanks for the kind words.Breaking feel is normal, I didn't find any noticable difference.

Changed my dusters balancer rod bushes today, both side. This was the second change at 197k kms had done once before at 100k kms. The vehicle was giving thudding sound while going over potholes and speed breakers. I thought the shocks or tie rods were shot. But I'd replaced the tie rods at 150k kms so that was a remote possibility. Cost of bushes was Rs320/- . Labour was charged at Rs 150/-.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-20190815_190942.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20190815_190843.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20190815_190314.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20190815_185914.jpg  

mh09ad5578 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 13:46   #5991
BHPian

Folks, one weird issue is cropping up: Whenever I am pressing the horn for double tap / little more than a single beep, the music playing skips - It either starts again (Previous) or goes to the next song (Next). Any remedies? The problem had disappeared temporarily when I had put relays in my horn (Roots windtone). It has resurfaced again.

My ICE is Pioneer Z5190 BT with steering harness adapter. Even replacing the harness adapter does not work.
Old 19th August 2019, 14:26   #5992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Folks, one weird issue is cropping up: Whenever I am pressing the horn for double tap / little more than a single beep, the music playing skips - It either starts again (Previous) or goes to the next song (Next). Any remedies? The problem had disappeared temporarily when I had put relays in my horn (Roots windtone). It has resurfaced again.
Have you removed the horn relay? If yes - please put them back in. If the relay is present - it is giving up. Replace it. Horn is sucking current and depriving your ICE HU of it. I hope your wiring is stock and not replaced. If wiring was changed for horn replacement - make sure it is good quality as long horn beeps have the capability of burning poor quality wires.

Till you fix this - better not use horn. As otherwise HU may get damaged (fuse will blow out).
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 19:15   #5993
BHPian

BRAKE FAILURE in DUSTER

Hi BHPians

Today (19.08.2019) I went through a scary experience while driving my Duster (RxZ AWD, Dec 2016, Odo 37 k approx). I was cruising at around 80-90 KMPH on a four lane highway when I heard a strange THUD sound from my rear right wheel. The sound was unusual and didn't feel like that of some stones/small boulders striking the underbody. For next few seconds I was perplexed as to what this sound was about. Moresoever because no instant change was experienced in vehicle's behaviour or dynamics. However I decided to pull over and check. As soon as I pressed the brake pedal, I was stunned and a wave of shivering ran down my spine. The brake pedal had come loose, it depressed all the way to floor but without any bite. I had just experienced a BRAKE FAILURE. I was in right lane of a four lane highway then. I immediately regained senses and started pupming repeatedly the brake pedal. Luckily it restored some week bite force in brakes but, in an on-off manner. Fortunately there was no vehicles at close range in front of me and I somehow managed to pull over to the left of the road. I got down from the vehicle and saw white smokes coming out from rear right wheel. Some fluid/oil (could be brake fluid) was also dripping down on the inner side of the wheel rim. After about 10 minutes the fumes disappeared. I also inspected the affected wheel well and underbody but could no locate any visibly broken parts (I don't have much technical knowledge). I eventually contacted Renault RSA that arranged a flat bed truck (it took good 3 hours to cover a distance of about 86 kms) free of cost (as my vehicle is under extended warranty) to take it back to the nearest Renault service center where it would be examined.

Now I want to know if any of the members here have encountered such incident in a Duster or any other vehicle for that matter. Is it a known issue in Duster ? What could be the possible reason for this to have happened ? Moreover, are expenses incurred on such breakdowns covered in INSURANCE ?

Its mentionworthy that I religiously follow the service routine for my vehicles. Last service of Duster was done about 6k kms back in March 2019 and it had to run another 4k kms before next service became due.

Waiting for the opinions of fellow members. Thanks
agt7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 06:35   #5994
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agt7 View Post
From your description it seems like a leak in the break hose inside the rear brake drums or the brake cylinder failure. It is definitely unusual to happen at such a low mileage. However, the brake cylinder is technical a wear and tear part like your clutch slave cylinder etc. Failure at such relatively low kilometers is definitely due to a defective part. Unless the brake hose/pipe hit a stone or something and got bent and damaged.

Most of the Dusters in my friends/family circle have crossed 1.5 lakh kms without facing any such issue. I am glad that you were able to bring the car to stop without any untoward issue.

My Thar too had a rear break cylinder failure, but this was after 7.5 years and about 65K+ kms of. Luckily my driver noticed the oil leaking on the floor and alerted me. I changed the rear brake cylinder before the fluid drained out completely and I lost brakes.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 12:13   #5995
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to know you could safely get the vehicle to a stop.

This is surely a one-off case. The cause could or could not be a defective part. Do have a look at the faulty part before believing the ASCs diagnosis blindly. It should be s simple as re-filling the brake fluid and pumping the brakes to see where the leak is. From the description it seems like the brake cylinder (which is inside the drum) leaked brake fluid onto the hot drum causing the fumes. A hose leak if not directly aimed at the brake drum wouldn't cause these fumes.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 19:59   #5996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
From your description it seems like a leak in the break hose inside the rear brake drums or the brake cylinder failure. It is definitely unusual to happen at such a low mileage. However, the brake cylinder is technical a wear and tear part like your clutch slave cylinder etc. Failure at such relatively low kilometers is definitely due to a defective part. Unless the brake hose/pipe hit a stone or something and got bent and damaged.
Yes, this is what the service guy told me today morning i.e. leakage from brake cylinder. He also reported that brake liners have come off completely. I requested one of the senior technical guys to tell me exactly how it might have happened. He later told me that due to coming off of brake liners further damage to cylinder was caused and it leaked. He also told that such breakdown may occur due to excessive water in brake drums that may swelling and further damage.

Is it possible that water may cause such dangerous faults to occur?

I did travel to jungles a few days back where roads were non existent and I had to literally drive on gravels and boulders. But nowhere the underbody was hit as I took maximum precaution. I also crossed small NALAs/STREAMs a number of times (there was no other way). But maximum water level was not more than half of the wheel rim. But then every monsoon our wheels get a heavy dose of water, isn't it ??

The service guys are not ready to concede that it was a case of defective part.

Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 20:53   #5997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Glad to know you could safely get the vehicle to a stop.

This is surely a one-off case. The cause could or could not be a defective part. Do have a look at the faulty part before believing the ASCs diagnosis blindly. It should be s simple as re-filling the brake fluid and pumping the brakes to see where the leak is. From the description it seems like the brake cylinder (which is inside the drum) leaked brake fluid onto the hot drum causing the fumes. A hose leak if not directly aimed at the brake drum wouldn't cause these fumes.
Unfortunately I cannot go to the workshop because of professional obligations. So I have to rely upon their version only. When I asked them if the cylinder could be repaired, they answered in negative and said that it will have to be replaced alongwith liners that have come off completely. They have given an estimated figure of Rs 12k for the job including labour.

The chain of incidents happened exactly in the way as mentioned by you.
Old 21st August 2019, 10:48   #5998
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He also told that such breakdown may occur due to excessive water in brake drums that may swelling and further damage.
In that case the brake on the other side could also fail, have they checked it? Could it be that the brake cylinder failed and the leaking oil got soaked into the brake liner and that made it ineffective, causing excessive heat when it touches the drum resulting in an eventual peel off. What they might be trying to do is blame the whole thing on a wear and tear prone part (brake shoe) so that they have no liability for repair under warranty.

Was thinking how the different thickness of brake lines on either side could affect the brake feel if the shoes are not adjusted to match the other side. One side would have a bite point slightly earlier than the other. Just get in touch with them regarding this.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:58   #5999
BHPian

Quote:

My ICE is Pioneer Z5190 BT with steering harness adapter. Even replacing the harness adapter does not work.
I suggest you to remove the harness adapter. I too had the same issue. It started with pressing the horn. Later using light / wiper stalk would make the Pioneer Z5190 BT to skip tracks. Sometimes the volume increases abruptly and I had to switch off the ignition and restart. It does not happen every time but randomly. I tried changing the horn to stock and replacing the harness twice. Finally I had to remove the harness adapter and everything is back to normal now.
nazeer_ahamed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 16:37   #6000
BHPian

Quote:

It looks to be an EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference ) issue. sterio noise filters are available online. You may try them

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks