Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2022, 19:00   #6241

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
That stand-alone display looks quite retro like those OLED displays for R-Pi.

How’s this display powered?
The display has an internal rechargeable battery. There is a micro USB B port to charge it. Also, the unit has a solar panel on top to charge it from ambient sunlight. With ample sunlight, there is supposedly no need for charging...
kanchudeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 00:46   #6242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanchudeep View Post
I had already been researching the system by TREEL (owned by JK Tyres) and as per the above thread was getting very good rates from a dealer as part of a limited time offer (valid till 03 Dec 2022)...
I too purchased these from the same dealer, albeit for a different vehicle, and my experience so far has been very good. Works very well with AA. Some cons:

1. No manual refresh, happens every few minutes(not consistent).
2. Application requires GPS access. Don't understand the rationale behind this, consumes additional battery too.

Renault Duster : Official Review-img_20221207_003442.jpg
MotoBlip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 00:46   #6243
BHPian

Quote:
Have been interested in installing a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) in my Renault Duster from quite some while. Was contemplating it very seriously as a mid-life upgrade of my vehicle (completed 07 years recently & nearing 90,000Kms) and came to know of a very good deal.
Congratulations, I too had these fitted toady. Easy to fit and use.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th December 2022 at 16:38. Reason: Quote content trimmed
RaviCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 00:51   #6244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
I too purchased these from the same dealer, albeit for a different vehicle, and my experience so far has been very good. Works very well with AA. Some cons:

1. No manual refresh, happens every few minutes(not consistent).
2. Application requires GPS access. Don't understand the rationale behind this, consumes additional battery too.

Attachment 2387302
Sorry mods for back 2 back reverts.
I guess they want to add more features to the app later... The app is slightly slow to respond and the notification won't go away on my phone even after disconnection. If I turn of notification I am afraid it may just not notify when it's needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-screenshot_20221207000646794_com.miui.home.jpg  

RaviCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:26   #6245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviCar View Post
Sorry mods for back 2 back reverts.
I guess they want to add more features to the app later... The app is slightly slow to respond and the notification won't go away on my phone even after disconnection. If I turn of notification I am afraid it may just not notify when it's needed.
Force stop the application. This is a battery hogger. When you are not near the car BT would continue searching for the sensors and use up more battery.

I force stop the application every time post use and start the application when in need.

Incase you restart the phone the app automatically starts and you have to follow the same steps again.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:43   #6246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Force stop the application. This is a battery hogger. When you are not near the car BT would continue searching for the sensors and use up more battery.

I force stop the application every time post use and start the application when in need.

Incase you restart the phone the app automatically starts and you have to follow the same steps again.
Yes I understand the logic but my fear is I may not restart it and keep driving on less air... And defeat the purpose of entire investment.
PS. I am a forgetful person.
Old 7th December 2022, 18:12   #6247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviCar View Post
Yes I understand the logic but my fear is I may not restart it and keep driving on less air... And defeat the purpose of entire investment.
PS. I am a forgetful person.
Absolutely no point keeping it on all the time and reducing the life of you phone. Its much more costlier than the sensors.

It affects the performance of phone in longer run. You will always have something running in background which is of no use using resources.

I have made it a habit now to check if the dashcam is working and then check tire pressure and start post that. Unless you are driving long distance within the city its hardly an issue as with tubeless tires it wont be an issue to find a puncture shop near by.
Old 7th December 2022, 22:12   #6248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Absolutely no point keeping it on all the time and reducing the life of you phone. Its much more costlier than the sensors.

It affects the performance of phone in longer run. You will always have something running in background which is of no use using resources.

I have made it a habit now to check if the dashcam is working and then check tire pressure and start post that. Unless you are driving long distance within the city its hardly an issue as with tubeless tires it wont be an issue to find a puncture shop near by.
I understand that sensors are not that important, I am worried only about tires... I am not very good at gauging less air pressure in tyres while driving... And often drive 30-50 kms before really noticing it.
Old 8th December 2022, 05:58   #6249
BHPian

I am keen in getting something like this safety feature on my car, only if the app is supporting Apple CarPlay. I do not want any external display.
Old 11th December 2022, 10:55   #6250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
The application requires 'Location' permission. It actually does not seem to use the device GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System - GPS/GLONASS/BeiDou/Galileo) sensor which are the actual battery hog as I have personally not observed the icon which indicates GNSS sensor use during my usage (though limited to pairing of sensors, testing and configuring external display).

Now why it needs the 'Location' permission is, because on Android 11 or lower the Bluetooth scan (which would be required to detect the sensors) can be used to gather location information as per Google. On Android 12 or higher an application can assert that location is not physically derived. Not sure which version you are using, but in case you are on Android 12 or higher (as I am using on a secondary device which is on Android 11, can not comment) and the application is still asking for Location permission then the developers have not implemented it properly. I have personally implemented Bluetooth & Location in Android applications and can vouch for this behaviour.

With regards battery use, technically BLE (which is used for communication between the sensors and the application on the smartphone) is engineered to have very low power usage - that is how the sensors themselves are rated for 07 years battery life with 05 years of replacement warranty. Am not an expert in this regard, but from all that I have read about BLE before buying the system, I think even on the smartphone the battery usage should be low, probably even with the application running in the background. I don't use the application myself as I have gone for an independent display, but maybe someone who uses the application regularly can share the battery usage statistics.
Old 11th December 2022, 19:30   #6251
BHPian

Quote:
Now why it needs the 'Location' permission is, because on Android 11 or lower the Bluetooth scan (which would be required to detect the sensors) can be used to gather location information as per Google. On Android 12 or higher an application can assert that location is not physically derived. Not sure which version you are using, but in case you are on Android 12 or higher (as I am using on a secondary device which is on Android 11, can not comment) and the application is still asking for Location permission then the developers have not implemented it properly. I have personally implemented Bluetooth & Location in Android applications and can vouch for this behaviour.
I wrote a review on app store to which the developer replied that it's per Android policy, that for an App to have background scanning, location must be enabled. I did some research and without involving any technical jargons, this is more or less true. What the developer has failed to do is create an exception where in the app still fetches data if the user denies location access, I'm guessing they did this due to stability concerns(depends on the method called but the BLE scan can sometimes fail silently and return nothing)

This is easy enough to fix via an app update though, so I hope that's done soon.
Old 28th January 2023, 20:27   #6252
BHPian

Hi folks, need some urgent advice here-

Today I took my 2016 RxZ AWD Duster for free general check up at Republic Day camp organized by Renault. I had two known issues for past some days which I reported to them. First was, double horn not working properly i.e. only one of the horns was working. Secondly, the master switch (on driver’s side) for co-driver power window had gone kaput; it was working fine for downward movement but not for upward movement.

During check up, they reported two more issues i.e. RHS Front & LHS Rear suspensions had oil leakage. Moreover, the mount of RHS Front suspension (as visible from engine bay) was raised by about 1 Cm. The technician recommended replacing both the suspensions. They quoted INR 17,200/- for both suspensions (including mount Bush Kits), INR 1000/- for Horn and INR 2,250/- for Master switches for front windows. Prices are inclusive of labour charges.

Now these prices are obviously very high. But since suspension job is an important one, should I get it done at Renault service itself or FNGs can be looked for as, cost difference would be around 50%.

Further, would there be any difference in ride/handling characteristics with 2 old and 2 new suspension units that too on diagonally opposite axles. Should I consider replacing all 4 at the same time although it would mean significantly higher repair bills?

A quick advice from experienced members would be highly appreciated as I need to take a call immediately because Renault Republic Day Camp would be over on January 29 in which they are offering 10% and 20% discount on Parts and Labour charges respectively. Thanks .
Old 29th January 2023, 08:36   #6253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agt7 View Post
Hi folks, need some urgent advice here-

Today I took my 2016 RxZ AWD Duster for free general check up at Republic Day camp organized by Renault. I had two known issues for past some days which I reported to them. First was, double horn not working properly i.e. only one of the horns was working. Secondly, the master switch (on driver’s side) for co-driver power window had gone kaput; it was working fine for downward movement but not for upward movement.

During check up, they reported two more issues i.e. RHS Front & LHS Rear suspensions had oil leakage. Moreover, the mount of RHS Front suspension (as visible from engine bay) was raised by about 1 Cm. The technician recommended replacing both the suspensions. They quoted INR 17,200/- for both suspensions (including mount Bush Kits), INR 1000/- for Horn and INR 2,250/- for Master switches for front windows. Prices are inclusive of labour charges.

Now these prices are obviously very high. But since suspension job is an important one, should I get it done at Renault service itself or FNGs can be looked for as, cost difference would be around 50%.

Further, would there be any difference in ride/handling characteristics with 2 old and 2 new suspension units that too on diagonally opposite axles. Should I consider replacing all 4 at the same time although it would mean significantly higher repair bills?

A quick advice from experienced members would be highly appreciated as I need to take a call immediately because Renault Republic Day Camp would be over on January 29 in which they are offering 10% and 20% discount on Parts and Labour charges respectively. Thanks .

Hi.
How many kms has the vehicle been driven? Did you see the oil leaks yourself? And the 1cm being measured?
I think they might have suggested replacing the front two. Diagonal replacements is a bad idea anyways. Vehicle dynamics will change.
FNGs will be definitely cheaper as an option, but do lookout for dependable shops.
Shanmd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 08:41   #6254
BHPian

Here's what it costed me at a local service center (not renault) in November-2021.
My vehicle is also 2016 RXZ AWD.

Rear shockers (both) - 12412/-
Front shockers (both) - 6576/-
Mountings (4 pc) - 2200/-
Bush Kit (2 pc) - 2300/-
Fitting/Overhauling charges - 1750/-

There were 3 brands available in market. I don't remember names. But I went for the brand that is Renault OE suspension supplier.
gargville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 17:38   #6255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Hi.
How many kms has the vehicle been driven? Did you see the oil leaks yourself? And the 1cm being measured?
I think they might have suggested replacing the front two. Diagonal replacements is a bad idea anyways. Vehicle dynamics will change.
FNGs will be definitely cheaper as an option, but do lookout for dependable shops.
Current odo stands at 79k. They did show me the faulty suspensions which had oily layer/patches with dust deposited over it. And the measurements are not exact, just by observation.

The SA didn't specifically mention if both suspensions on a given axel should be changed. He only recommended replacing the faulty units. And I fully agree with your thoughts on diagonal replacement.

What I can see now is that if I opt for FNG route, I can replace all 4 suspension units for the same money which Renault is charging for two units.

Only concern is if after market Monroe struts are equally good as OEM units ? Any thought on this..

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks