Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 23:16   #631
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Look at the damage on the plastics on the right side. I wonder if this happen when people tested the jump seat or the mechanics did it while installing the seat.
Either ways, not confidence inspiring.
Is it really any damage? It seems to me that someone was sitting on the jump seat and probably used the right plasticy part as a footrest
Old 13th August 2012, 23:38   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
I believe Renault top management & Renault R&D guys should be made to sit on this jump seat with lollypop in their hand.
This shows the attitude of these phoren companies towards india,who assume India mein sab chalta hai.
hsr - Hilarious! Couldn't have said it better myself.

That's the only appropriate punishment for inflicting this wannabe seat on the public.

I can already visualize Marc Nassif and his sidekick sitting on the seat looking foolish.

Last edited by raul : 13th August 2012 at 23:52.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 12:55   #633
BHPian

Managed to get delivery of my 110RXL Red finally yesterday. Could not get any pictures of delivery as it was raining cats and dogs here in Chennai. Maybe God was trying to tell me something. Anyways, took the DUSTER to church and finished the prayer.Next stop was to fit alloy wheels.Finally took the vehicle to see parents and came back home around 1.00 p.m tired, relieved but vaguely worried.
First the cons.
1) Tilt steering hides the speedo display at lower setting.
2) Hand bangs against USB pen drive when moving from gear to steering wheel and vice versa , position is not proper.
3) Everytime I start the engine, I hear a dull thud, attributed to engine bed vibration, which the service department says is normal.
4) Visibility at night when it is raining is not sufficient. Bulb is not powerful enough to meet the needs.
Now for the pros.
1) Rain was a Godsend. The Duster gobbled up the pothole filled roads with disdain.
2) Acceleration is terrific. Driven within the proper RPM, it can take on most challengers easily.
3) Turbo lag is minimal.
Now comes the really bad part.
The service is really bad, I mean monstrously bad. First, they asked me to take delivery at the service centre. Despite me telling them that I have arranged for my 3 yer old son to wait in the church, they kept on delaying delivery.Then the rains came.
It was then that they tell me that all my original documents are in booking office and a person who is supposed to bring them to the service center was stuck in rain. To top it all mud flaps were not installed. So I told the allotment manager that I'll take my vehicle delivery immediately and I'll collect the documents the next day(today) along with the mudflaps and he obliged.Truth be told rubbish happens and they were also doing delivery for 22 vehicles yesterday and Kudos to the allotment manager for giving me delivery without documents, understanding that my son was waiting.
So today morning I went to the Service centre at around 9.30 AM and met some uniformed guy and asked for the mudflaps to be fit and to give my documents. They fixed my mudflap promptly, but after that I was waiting for 1 & 1/2 hour in the lounge and nothing happened. Finally called my SA and asked him what was happening and he gave me a name and asked me to meet that gentleman(name with held).Went to meet that gentleman and he was the same uniformed guy I met earlier. I asked him why he was delaying the issue for so long and his retort was "Nobody told me". I gave him an earful and I told him it is not the customer's responsibility to initiate stage by stage proceedings and it was my right to expect some commonsense from a person of responsibility and to at least solve the customer's need. He started arguing and justifying his actions before 5 other customers who also started to look worried by his actions. Is it pride, arrogance or his defense mechanism, I dont know. But I do know this is not customer satisfaction.
I am beginning to wonder if Renault will go the SKODA way.Anyways KHIVRAJ PEARL sure knows how to demoralise a guy who wants to invest in their sales and service. First the very vague delivery dates from the Sales team, and utter disregard for the customer's need from the service team. Wonder if it is 12 lakhs down the drain.Sorry guys, I'm super mad.
Anyways Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-14082012016.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-14082012017.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-14082012018.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 15th August 2012 at 22:40. Reason: No inappropriate language please, not even indirectly (sh*t). Thanks
Neil Roy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 13:02   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
I believe Renault top management & Renault R&D guys should be made to sit on this jump seat with lollypop in their hand.
This shows the attitude of these phoren companies towards india,who assume India mein sab chalta hai.
Actually, it would be cool to fit this seat on the roof

The fact that they even tried to have a seat like this makes them look silly.
Old 14th August 2012, 13:05   #635
BHPian

CONGRATULATIONS Neil on getting the delivery of Duster!

Do not worry too much about the service as of now. Wait and see how it goes. It can't be that bad! They are sellingin good numbers and with all the customer's giving feedback, they will improve (hopefully)!

Anyway, enjoy your new ride! And keep us posted on how she behaves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Look at the damage on the plastics on the right side. I wonder if this happen when people tested the jump seat or the mechanics did it while installing the seat.
Either ways, not confidence inspiring.
Even if this does not happen during installation, this will happen if an adult or a moderately tall teenager sits in this seat. One has to stretch their legs if seated here, and since there is no seat belt, one would fall front/sideways while turning/braking, and the natural tendency would be to press your foot against this exact space to get some "grip"!
These might as well be the shoe marks of someone seated here!

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 14th August 2012 at 13:11.
Old 14th August 2012, 13:14   #636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
2) Hand bangs against USB pen drive when moving from gear to steering wheel and vice versa , position is not proper.

Congrats. The Duster looks gorgeous in that color.

You may want to buy a smaller usb stick.
Like HP V-165 W 8GB Pen Drive | Pendrive | Flipkart.com
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 13:47   #637
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT but this is a relevant car for people going gaga over the Duster.
The Duster is Macho and the Ecosport Metrosexual. The Trax by Chevy is a great mix of both imho. The Ecosport may not appeal to men and the Duster may turn off some due to its crudeness.

Lets see if we will ever get this car in India. Chevy's too busy spending time looking at its Chinese Porfolio for India.

Chevrolet Trax to make its debut at Paris Motor Show
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-pic_dj_chevy_trax_2013.jpg  

nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 13:51   #638
BHPian

Hello Neil, Congratulations!

You must be the first Team-BHP -ian in Chennai to take delivery of the Duster! The vehicle looks super-cool and I wish you many thousand kilometres of happy motoring with your new beauty!

Renault Mount Road tells me that RTO approval has come through for the 85 BHP variants also and deliveries would start end of August. Keeping my fingers crossed though!
Old 14th August 2012, 14:35   #639
BHPian

Congratulataions Neil. You are the 1st Chennai TBHPian to get Dusted?
The red does look good.
It is sad to hear about the bad service of Khivraj Renault. Hope they get better and these are all starting troubles.
I think you should put all these out of your mind and enjoy the vehicle to the max.
BTW. What did you do with the original steel wheels? Exchanged for the alloys?
Old 14th August 2012, 15:02   #640
BHPian

Congrats Niel, Please make sure your press the lock button each time you drive the vehicle.
Old 14th August 2012, 16:01   #641
BHPian

@Rada,
Today morning during my travails, I saw a lot of 85 RXE and RXL Dusters getting ready for RTO process. They are delivering around 20-25 vehicles every day.
@Thalavoy,
I have kept the original Steel rims. Who would want them? Duster PCD is different from conventional rims, so there will be no takers, I think.
Anyways, Duster is very similar to Logan. It looks small and compact until it comes to parking or going through small lanes or inching through traffic. The Duster is Humongous. Those Bulbous rear wheel arches make like very difficult for negotiating small lanes where cycles and two wheelers are parked haphazardly.The vision of road from inside is tremendous, but the size and vision does not mean that the Duster has a good road presence. In fact, just like in driving a sedan, two wheelers commit harakiri in front of the duster in city traffic.There is body roll, though not as much as other vehicles in this segment, but surely greater than sedans. So it has greater body roll than a sedan and is more expensive than a sedan.
But, yesterday, when it was raining, all sedans were queuing up one behind other following the safest path visible, whereas yours truly in the shiny new Red Duster just blasted past royally over the road not taken, sometimes overhauling 6 - 7 sedans at a stretch. Such roads are a common feature in Chennai nowadays and this is where the Duster scores now. Once I put her down through her paces in the Highway I'll have a better idea about the capacities/limitations. One word of advice though to all Duster owners. There is no defying Physics and Higher GC means Higher Centre of Gravity and one will be better advised not to try high speed lane changing tactics in the same manner as a sedan.It may work in the Duster but not worth the risk.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 16:42   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
.... It looks small and compact until it comes to parking or going through small lanes or inching through traffic. The Duster is Humongous. Those Bulbous rear wheel arches make like very difficult for negotiating small lanes where cycles and two wheelers are parked haphazardly.....
Congrats Neil ! Nice shiny colour there with some 'bling-bling' alloys!
- Regarding the width, try using the left mirror as an estimate of the additional width to your left- if you check the top view of the Duster, the door area where the mirror is affixed is recessed by a fair amount and the mirror just about clears the wheel arches. In fact the front arch is slightly more wide than the rear.
- Regarding the spare tyre - how easy is it or otherwise to get its pressure checked and refilled in-situ?
Rigid Rotor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 16:56   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy;2871576I
have kept the original Steel rims. Who would want them? Duster PCD is different from conventional rims, so there will be no takers, I think.
What? How different? Is it the same as the Fiat issue with the 98 PCD alloys? I'm going to go flipping mad if I'm stuck with an ugly car AND can't change the alloys to salvage it a bit.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th August 2012 at 17:19. Reason: Fixing quote.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 19:20   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
What? How different? Is it the same as the Fiat issue with the 98 PCD alloys? I'm going to go flipping mad if I'm stuck with an ugly car AND can't change the alloys to salvage it a bit.
if you look at his car photos he has changed to alloys.The stock wheel caps are being retained. So you can change to alloys.
Old 14th August 2012, 20:33   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish
if you look at his car photos he has changed to alloys.The stock wheel caps are being retained. So you can change to alloys.
Ofcourse he can change to alloys.
Flyingspur is talking about pcd which is 98 which is rare,if i m correct.
98 PCD designs are less & hard to find.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks