Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2012, 18:23   #961
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau

Hi Shankar,

Are you sure about the golf bag? My earlier car was longer than my Duster but narrower. With an additional 10cms of width the Duster should be able to fit in a couple/few golf bags easily. Maybe it's about positioning the bag? Of course with the rear seats down you can fit in many
Yes. With the rear seats down you can place the bag diagonally and fit it in.
I use a large trolley bag and it is quite tall too so the available width in the Duster or indeed the Yeti, when taken from one side to the other side in the confines of the boot area, cannot fit the bag when laterally placed. It can fit when placed diagonally and for this one needs to put down the rear seats. The Scorpio could easily fit the golf bag laterally in the rear along with the trolley etc with the rear seat up, so I could also carry two or three passengers in the back. I have been on golf trips with friends where I ve fitted in 4 large golf bags and trolleys in the Scorpio.
In the Yeti or the Duster I shall not be able to do such things! But then again, my very reason for buying a Yeti was because I wanted higher refinement and I realized I did not need that much space all the time! If space were so very important I guess I may have gone for the Fortuner but I find that way too lumberingly large, unrefined, unnecessarily expensive and ponderous and hence pushed it right out of my consideration set.
I would happily have gone for the Duster if only they had offered the top euro spec here in India. It would then have been the 'budget conscious man's Yeti'! The fact that they have short changed us on 4WD and Safety Kit is a big big irritating let down for me!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 19:26   #962
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Guys, I booked a Red Duster 85bhp (O) pack on Sunday.

Few questions :-

1. The dealer(Whitefield Renault) said that Red and that slate grey is available in 3 months. For rest waiting period is 5 months.
2. They also said that Renault shall contact me when they have allocated a new vehicle for me.

I think he is bluffing about point 1. Second when can I expect a call from Renault, if such a fairy really exist? How long after the Renault call can I expect the vehicle?

Also wanted to know few things :-
1. How is Steering response at triple digit speeds?
2. I noticed a weird spring action sound from clutch, accelarator and brake combo when I changed gears quickly in traffic. Is this a issue or normal?
3. Any guesses on regular and free servicing costs?
4. I see that Duster is a featherweight vehicle compared to its size. Do you think efficiency some are getting is ok for this vehicle? Sorry, I find it a little low.
Old 25th September 2012, 19:44   #963
BHPian

I had booked my Duster RXL 85(O) at the end of August and called up the showroom today to ask for an update. The lady claimed that the production has increased pace and tentatively I will be getting my car around mid October and that they will be calling me 15 days before the delivery date... I don't know who to trust, the sales guy said November end but the lady said Mid October. I just cant wait anymore for a new car and if it gets delayed beyond October, Ill be picking up the Elantra which is already ready for delivery for me (Mine was booking No.1 )

Just one little request: Members, can anyone do a comparison of Maintenance & Service costs between Elantra and Duster? As in, between a Hyundai and a Renault?

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by zen kobane : 25th September 2012 at 19:46.
Old 25th September 2012, 20:15   #964

Quote:
Have to wait and see if Renault will be supplying MRF or Michelin to it's Duster export market.My hunch is that it will be Michelin. Any takers?
On the Continent they come with Continentals or Michelins. Most makers use a range of suppliers so as to cover for delivery delays to the factory. As long as the specifications are the same it doesn't matter, but I'd guess Continentals for the UK.

The Indian government is eager to have as much local content as possible, so that might explain the fitting of an Indian made tyre for the Indian market.

But don't they make Continental and Michelin tyres in India?
Old 25th September 2012, 21:02   #965
BHPian

I booked duster 85 RXE woodland brown on 7th july from whitefield renault and delivery time given was sept first week. Today I cancelled it since there is not allocation or possible date was not known from customer care as well as Show room.

They are telling 85RXL(O) is more easy to get as per SA and I dont want
to pay extra for 85 BHP version

Now I booked 110 Base Variant from Ernakulam since its easy to get compared to 85 RXE!!. Also I can save around 1 Lakh . Also I am not a regular user in Bangalore
Old 25th September 2012, 23:13   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Then it should be a no-brainer. Because whichever car you choose to buy you will always spot that Duster on the road and cringe inside. If the plastics are that much of a deal-breaker, then you might have to wait for the EcoSport and that's when you should get it.

Please refer post post #1363 in this thread (Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33), for my take on it.
Well, let's see if my will power wins or my heart gets the better of me. At the moment, I've decided to wait for the Ecosport and then only make a decision, but the Renault showroom is about 500mtrs from my home and I see a few dusters parked there everyday!
Old 26th September 2012, 00:16   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunrajk81 View Post
...They are telling 85RXL(O) is more easy to get as per SA and I dont want
to pay extra for 85 BHP version

Now I booked 110 Base Variant from Ernakulam since its easy to get compared to 85 RXE!!. Also I can save around 1 Lakh . Also I am not a regular user in Bangalore
Whats wrong with the SAs? Everywhere we are reading deliveries are much quicker for 110 version and here someone is contradicting!

What's the waiting period in Cochin for the variants?
Old 26th September 2012, 09:11   #968
BHPian

Duster - PRICE HIKE??

Some news coming in of an impending price hike of all Duster models after this month- can any BHPian kindly confirm whether they have heard anything similar?

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 26th September 2012 at 09:18. Reason: syntax
Old 26th September 2012, 10:23   #969
BHPian

Price hike for a car that is already overpriced .
It feels like Duster is slowly slipping out of my hands. There are only couple of thing that make me regret the fact that I live in Bangalore, the road tax and fuel cess/tax.
Add to that the lack of 85PS deliveries, Duster seems to become more of a dream than reality.
Sorry if this seems O.T
Old 26th September 2012, 10:24   #970
P76
BHPian

Hi Neil, could you upload a photo of the burst tyre, if you have one? May be our friends who have had similar tyre burst incidents could comment . IMO, a cut in the tyre need not have occured in the same time it had burst, instead, it could have been caused a lot earlier, and may be even very minor, but with usage, the ply chords would give way under strain such as highway runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
My thoughts exactly. Since the Duster handles rough terrains so well, the tendency to throw the vehicle around is more. All the more reason why the OE tyres should be carefully designed "with Indian conditions and SUV driver mentality in mind".Primacy is designed as a car tyre, meaning not just the weight but the lower centre of gravity of cars. Owing to its higher ground clearance, the centre of gravity of the duster will be higher and hence load on tyres, especially on turns is going to be higher(My theory).The stress on the side wall will be the greatest under high speed turns.So Latitude tour HP will be a more appropriate choice I think.
I am more confused by the MRF Wanderers. It offers great comfort, great handling, better performance under hard braking than any other MRF tyres I have previously seen. I would even dare say, it is car like.The burst MRF Wanderer was really soft to the touch, which surprised me in many ways.I have used MRF ZVTS on my Esteem for 50K kms and the tread was as good as new. However, the rubber in the ZVTS was rock hard and offered zero grip right from the beginning. If ride is only within city, the MRF wanderers itself should be more than sufficient, and who knows, maybe my tyre failure is a one off case.Still, it pays to be safe while driving on highways.
Have to wait and see if Renault will be supplying MRF or Michelin to it's Duster export market.My hunch is that it will be Michelin. Any takers?

AC selector knob is now working fine albeit a little tight, but cold air vent to legs do not close completely even when I change the knob to cabin setting.
Old 26th September 2012, 10:24   #971
BHPian

Re: Duster - PRICE HIKE??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Some news coming in of an impending price hike of all Duster models after this month- can any BHPian kindly confirm whether they have heard anything similar?
I was shown two price sheets.
The new one was effective from mid of this month, which had a price increase of 4K IIRC.

HTH
acroback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 10:49   #972
BHPian

Duster - PRICE HIKE??

I just checked with my dealer TVS-Trivandrum a few minutes back - they have received news of an impending price hike - which incidentally may be a large increase of up to 30 K (speculation by the dealer). The extent of price hike however, is not confirmed. There are some chances of price protection for previous bookings - again not confirmed.

GRRRRRR!! - my loyalties towards the Duster Fanboy Club is taking a bit of a hit as my RXZ (O) booked on July 8th is nowhere to be seen and I may be saddled with a bigger price tag!
Old 26th September 2012, 11:21   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
2. They also said that Renault shall contact me when they have allocated a new vehicle for me.
I never got any call from Renault in the entire process. On the contrary when ever I called their customer care they were completely blank and were asking me what version/color I have booked rather than telling me any information from their side.
Old 26th September 2012, 14:34   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Time for a Chennai Dusters meet?
14.8 only? I am sure you can get more.
I am still in my running in period and getting 10.5 to 11.2. Of course, I rarely cross 3rd gear and can count number of times I used 6th gear.
Going to Thekkady/Kodaikanal next week. Will post my experiences on the hills once I come back.
Why only a Chennai Dusters meet? Is the ROI not good enough?
Just filled up for the second time in my 85. It's probably not great but on the first tank I got 15.1 kmpl purely in the city. Renault guys say this will increase.
Clouseau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 16:51   #975
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I am more confused by the MRF Wanderers. It offers great comfort, great handling, better performance under hard braking than any other MRF tyres I have previously seen. I would even dare say, it is car like.The burst MRF Wanderer was really soft to the touch, which surprised me in many ways.

Neil,

Just to confirm, did you check tyre pressure after the purchase. Because mostly new ones come with much higher tyre pressure.
Since you have done quite some driving already, I dont think that should have been the problem. Never the less, just wanted to confirm.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed