Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 08:32   #1126
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
Couldn't agree more with your comments!

I have now driven my Duster 85 RxL (O) for over 1200 km and so far the ownership experience has been a real pleasure. Initially I too was freaked out by the comments in this forum on the "bad ergonomics" of the Duster. Maybe I have got used to the "quirks", but it really do not seem that much of an issue anymore...

And lest I forget, here's wishing you many many kilometres of happy and safe motoring in your new Duster RxZ!
Thanks Rada! Here's wishing you the same!

Another point - I asked the SA if the price hike had any effect on the bookings. He said that so far (1st Oct to 05th), the booked numbers were steady and that there was no change. However, five days is too small a period to judge and we would need to wait and watch for the effect, if any of the price hike.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:35   #1127
BHPian

My Duster is due for the 1st service. So question to the owners who already done their 1st service. Anything special to do or watch out for? Thanks
Another question. I am hearing some kind of loose objects rolling sound from the trunk whenever I go over bumps/potholes a little faster. Any one else noticed this? I did notice the rear parcel tray not sitting tight and the end near the rear seat is moving up and down. Is this the sound I am hearing?
Old 9th October 2012, 11:31   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Overall, does the Duster 85 do the job? You bet. Power delivery is adequate, even if it lacks the muscle of the 110. If you drive primarily within a congested Indian city, the Duster 85 is the more sensible choice. It’s cheaper and more fuel efficient too! This is sort of off-topic, yet worth a mention : The power steering of our 600 kms run Duster 85 had gone bust.
I've narrowed down by options now to a 85 PS variant purely based on GTO's trusted reviews.

Have a quick question here, would GTO's observation of power steering having gone bust just after 600 Kms indicate poor quality of Duster 85PS variant ?

Request any current owners of 85 PS variant comment on this by sharing their experiences.

Please also share ownership comments on the Duster petrol variant, primarily on performance aspects. Cheers !!!
Old 9th October 2012, 11:45   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy
Another question. I am hearing some kind of loose objects rolling sound from the trunk whenever I go over bumps/potholes a little faster. Any one else noticed this? I did notice the rear parcel tray not sitting tight and the end near the rear seat is moving up and down. Is this the sound I am hearing?
I dont hear any such sounds. A strong suspect is the tyre spanner in the compartment. Ensure it is snapped in place using both the clamps up and down. Some lazy technicians just use one. Also ensure your seat is snapped to the hooks on both sides.
Old 9th October 2012, 16:56   #1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
My Duster is due for the 1st service. So question to the owners who already done their 1st service. Anything special to do or watch out for? Thanks
I have a 110PS, and got the first free service at 1919KM, at Trident Bangalore. Even though a home pickup / drop facility is offered, I took the opportunity to go myself, primarily with a view to talk to the service engineers and get to understand the Duster better.

There is a paid waterproof coating (INR 500-600 including labour) applied to the engine, besides general tightening checks for the nuts and bolts and the cleaning / washing. They had a good customer lounge and since I had gone myself, provided priority, and was able to drive out within three hours.

Key information is that the engine sensors and the computer unit are exposed, hence inexperienced pressure washing of the engine compartment may lead to damage to these components. The computer unit costs INR 0.9 lakhs or so. Of course, there is a warning label against pressure washing the engine compartment, but I feel that this aspect is worth to be specifically told to Drivers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsing3 View Post
Went to Sariska Tiger Reserve yesterday, covered almost 400 kms. Few kms stretch were full of potholes and broken road. But the Duster performance was fantastic. Road presence was amazing, as people driving Fortuner were also interested in taking a glance at it. Got a mileage of 19.2 kmpl. What more i could have asked for
My 110PS showed an average of 21.7 on the National Highway between Hosur and Krishnagiri. It was last Sunday afternoon, with the road fairly free from traffic. Mostly driven in gear 5 and 6 with the engine RPM just over 2000 and minimal brake usage. I was the only occupant of the car with minimal luggage. Really enjoyed the drive!

This is post the first service. However, I entered bad roads thereafter, and by the time I reached Puducherry (Pondicherry), the average had fallen to 18.5.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th October 2012 at 02:20. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Karthi1509 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 19:54   #1131
BHPian

I also observed similarly high mileage for my Swift also while driving via same road. But I also observed its more specific to direction Hosur to Krishnagiri which is a long down hill. But if you are driving from Krishnagiri to Hosur things will get reverse..Normally you will get less that normal average
arunrajk81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 21:45   #1132
BHPian

Can any of the fellow Bhpians who have taken delivery please tell me if they have been taken insurance from outside? I have been quoted around 33 grand for routine insurance by the Dealer when I booked and when I asked whether I can take it from outside the SA was like "I don't think so sir". When I pressed him for the reason he said he will have to clarify with his boss. I haven't really followed up on this front as an really not sure when I will be getting my delivery. Between I had asked for a quote from policy bazar when I was browsing casually the other day. Today I got a call from Bajaj Allianz with a quote of 22000!!

Please let me know if anyone has taken from outside so I can push my dealer too.

Thanks in advance
Old 9th October 2012, 22:21   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead1981 View Post
Can any of the fellow Bhpians who have taken delivery please tell me if they have been taken insurance from outside?
Please let me know if anyone has taken from outside so I can push my dealer too...
Well I did. The dealer quoted something astronomical (around 38K), whereas I got it from TATA AIG for around 19.5 K (including 50% NCB carried forward from my earlier car). Also be careful of extraordinary discounts on the premium - usually means that the chap is cutting out certain coverages (riots, earthquakes or whatever) to arrive at a very low figure.

You need to be patient and firm with them on this count and they usually give in the end. You could explain that its some corporate discount or whatever and insist on having your way.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 22:44   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthi1509 View Post
I have a 110PS, and got the first free service at 1919KM, at Trident Bangalore. Even though a home pickup / drop facility is offered, I took the opportunity to go myself, primarily with a view to talk to the service engineers and get to understand the Duster better.

There is a paid waterproof coating (INR 500-600 including labour) applied to the engine, besides general tightening checks for the nuts and bolts and the cleaning / washing. They had a good customer lounge and since I had gone myself, provided priority, and was able to drive out within three hours.

Key information is that the engine sensors and the computer unit are exposed, hence inexperienced pressure washing of the engine compartment may lead to damage to these components. The computer unit costs INR 0.9 lakhs or so. Of course, there is a warning label against pressure washing the engine compartment, but I feel that this aspect is worth to be specifically told to Drivers, etc.
Quiet strange Karthi, they have charged you for the waterproof oil coating.
When I did my first service, the service engineer took time to explain me everything that was done. He open the bonnet and showed me the oil sprayed engine. It looked neat and clean, requested me never to spray water inside. The entire service costs me only Rs 100/- which they mentioned as consumable items.
Service quality was top notch, behavior was as if I am the King.
Duration: 3 hours.
Anyways congrats on the new Duster.
himadrimondal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 23:15   #1135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can any of the fellow Bhpians who have taken delivery please tell me if they have been taken insurance from outside? I have been quoted around 33 grand for routine insurance by the Dealer when I booked and when I asked whether I can take it from outside the SA was like "I don't think so sir".
You are well within your rights to buy the insurance from outside. The dealers across the board try and convince the customer by citing various non existent policies stating otherwise. But you just need to be firm on this and even write to Renault if they don't let you do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Well I did. The dealer quoted something astronomical (around 38K), whereas I got it from TATA AIG for around 19.5 K (including 50% NCB carried forward from my earlier car)
Doesn't that mean that the figure you got outside was identical to the one given by the dealer? 19.5k after 50% NCB amounts to 38k in the first place right? The dealer would have allowed you to carry forwards your NCB too.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 10:42   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Can any of the fellow Bhpians who have taken delivery please tell me if they have been taken insurance from outside?

Please let me know if anyone has taken from outside so I can push my dealer too.
In my case the initial quote from Renault (Bharti AXA, actually,) was around 36K. When I told them that National Insurance was offering a premium which was almost 15 K less (including NCB), Bharti AXA immediately agreed to match the price offered by National Insurance!

It's a unholy nexus between the dealer and the insurance company, and unless you specifically request for a discount citing competitive offers, they are going to charge you astronomical rates. Be Careful!
Rada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 13:32   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
On the other hand my main contention is that for the price the Duster commands, it should have come with some more equipment, specifically ABS with EBD & BA, and airbags starting with at least the middle variant.
Absolutely - I bought the middle variant 85 (w/o Options as I was already at the top of my budget) so believe me I know what you mean about safety features! Have you booked the Duster yet or still deciding?

Cheers!
Old 10th October 2012, 18:18   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Doesn't that mean that the figure you got outside was identical to the one given by the dealer? 19.5k after 50% NCB amounts to 38k in the first place right? The dealer would have allowed you to carry forwards your NCB too.
Not really - its not a straight-forward arithmetical half - as far as I remember, the figure of 30-32 K was quoted by Tata AIG before the NCB, whereas the Dealer asked for 38 K (both were B2B coverage). As I understand the pricing / premium is composed of some elements and the NCB is not on the total.

If you have more info, please let me know, I could arm-twist those blokes for a refund or something if I have been over-charged!
Old 11th October 2012, 12:01   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsing3 View Post
Hello Clouseau, I am keeping the speed below 90km/h mark as of now, maintaining the rpm around 2200. I've crossed 1200kms and you'll be surprised, i actually got the reading as 25 kmpl this time. I am a happy man. Now i actually got the answer to the question "Kitna deti hai".
Hey jsing3, 25kmpl is outstanding Let's see what best I can get buut currently the computer's showing around 17kmpl.
Clouseau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 13:19   #1140
BHPian

You gotta be kidding me?
My RxL(O) 85PsDuster is here.
I mean in 12 days flat? I am puzzled. Looks like someone cancelled theirs.

Will do a thorough PDI to rules out any foul play.

It gotta be the fastest delivery of Duster here. :

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks