Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2012, 09:07   #1261
AWD
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
this is the middle version considering the fact that there is an Option pack go to the dealer this weekend (he is just 1.5 KM from my home) and would try and get as much as possible on this.
It does feel heavy in 85 as compared to 110. I wear a size 10 shoe and the toe end of the shoe gets stuck onto the front wall of the car while depressing the clutch fully.
I thought about variants w.r.t. features & have excluded 85PS option pack. This is ~2L more than base 85PS, inlieu of this I shall opt for 110PS base because both are similarly priced.

Guess I shall be facing the "shoe" issue too becasue my no. is 10 too!

Local dealer told me that getting the 85PS base is tough because it is not produced by the Company in large numbers as compared to the other variants. He also said that for the base 85PS, only demands of previously booked vehicles will be met & that it was an introductory model only, the company does not intend to follow up on this particular variant. I smell something fishy in his statement & feel that this is to push the customer in opting for a higher variant.

Otherwise what are the shortcomings in Base 85PS..?
Old 26th October 2012, 11:01   #1262
BHPian

Has any one else got a call from France for feedback on Duster? I got one and gave my feedback.
Old 26th October 2012, 11:39   #1263
BHPian

Hi ,

if 85 PS is purposely avoided by the manufacturer then its bound to shew away people like myself who initially got attracted due to it's competitive pricing , today's tech savvy generation is smart and if Renault plays games such as this one then i am sure they will soon loose the " reliability" factor which they have not really gained so far. This is exactly the place where maruti scores huge points which European manufacturers fail to understand and always wonder why relatively simpler cars beat their so called advanced technology. They must learn to win the confidence , they are far behind than the King of Indian auto industry and sadly still have no intentions to learn a lesson. Also the greedy dealers is a scary thing , there are many like myself who do not wish to depend on one suburban dealer in mumbai , nobody on the south side of mumbai yet , wake up Renault.

Last edited by amolathalye : 26th October 2012 at 11:41. Reason: wanted to add a point
Old 26th October 2012, 14:16   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Otherwise what are the shortcomings in Base 85PS..?

New member and first posting on the forum...

I test drove both the 110 and the 85 PS models back to back at the Hyderabad showroom. I tried the 110 first and then the 85. The 85 felt underpowered, which seems pretty obvious after you have driven the more powerful version. There were three people in the vehicle in both the drives with the AC blowing pretty strong. Although the dealer's agent insisted on a very small short drive, I wanted to try out the vehicles on a particular slope nearby.
It is when I drove the cars up the slope near KBR park, the difference (or the shortcoming) in the 85 bhp model becomes obvious. The pulling is much more effortless in the 110. I felt the 85 engine whine as it climbed.

Another thing which I have been wanting to write about is the 'no turbo lag' which I felt in the 110. I had read so much about the 110 turbo lag, that I was expecting it to be a big -ive...but for some reason, I did not feel myself wanting for power.
amitdan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 15:24   #1265
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadriver View Post
I have got delivery of my 110 RXZ and with the car i have received 3 Booklets:

1. Car Manual
2. Radio Manual
3. Quick Guide

Surprisingly i have found Service Booklet Lacking and have no Idea of Service Interval.

Can someone please help me on whether 4th Booklet with service requirement has been given with vehicle.
No there is no service booklet. But ask dealer for the warranty coupon. They take a print-out of this extended warranty coupon put there seal and give it to you.

First service is at 2000, second at 10000 and then every 10000.
W@nnaR@ce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 18:27   #1266
BHPian

I had earlier booked the 110 ps vehicle because there were no 85 ps cars available for test drives, but after driving the 85 ps car I changed my booking that very minute. I also test drove the two cars back to back and my test drive was for about 15 kms each for both vehicles, both in the city and highway. I infact took both cars to my flying field and that has a sharp up hill gradient.
Driving the 85 ps was a pleasure all the way including the hillock climb. With the 110 ps I had to keep my foot on the clutch to keep the revs up so that I would not stall, but with the 85 ps car only the accelerator was needed. The climb was so much easier.

In the city with frequent braking, the 85 ps was a breeze to drive and the car would have adequate pick up, in the 2nd gear, even at speeds of 10 - 12 kms/hr, while I had to shift down to 1st with the 110 ps car.

I feel the best way to judge the turbo lag is to have a head to head run with both cars at a speed of 20 kms in the 3rd gear and then pulling away from that. I say this because I tried it and the 85 ps car was any day faster off the blocks in this test.

The 110 ps car is much smoother at speeds in excess of 120 with a full load while the 85 ps takes a lot of effort to reach from 120 to 140.

Just my observations, I'm sure there are other views.
Docster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 00:01   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docster View Post
I had earlier booked the 110 ps vehicle because there were no 85 ps cars available for test drives, but after driving the 85 ps car I changed my booking that very minute.
======
Just my observations, I'm sure there are other views.
I agree to your observations Docster. I drive in bumper to bumper traffic in Mumbai for 10 - 12 KM everyday and i keep the car in second gear throughout with ease, with 3 - 4 adults loaded. I had also test drove the 110 atleast thrice and the turbo lag below 1750 rpm was unmistakable every single time.
Old 27th October 2012, 01:13   #1268
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
The 85 felt underpowered, which seems pretty obvious after you have driven the more powerful version. There were three people in the vehicle in both the drives with the AC blowing pretty strong.

pulling is much more effortless in the 110. I felt the 85 engine whine as it climbed.

Another thing which I have been wanting to write about is the 'no turbo lag' which I felt in the 110
So there are mixed reactions to the pick-up/speed difference between the two variants. ~40K increase in prices is another deterrent.

Im more inclined towards base 85 becasue it saves huge bucks. Will pester Dealer for a TD.
Old 27th October 2012, 12:26   #1269

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Has any one else got a call from France for feedback on Duster? I got one and gave my feedback.
@Thalavoy: That's really surprising. Hope you gave the feedback about the problems customers are facing here. And i think i saw your vehicle (The Grey Duster) outside your home (Just 2 streets away from my home). It looks awesome. I was looking at the duster and accidentally noticed the name board outside your home with your name. Hopefully am right.

BTW. I booked RXE model on July 8 and got a call from Renault Customer care 15 days back saying that they would deliver the vehicle only by March 2013. The worst customer experience i have ever had in my life.

Was really tempted to cancel the booking but still dint want to do that for the love of the vehicle. Everyone in my home liked the vehicle, so dint want to cancel it for this reason.

Spoke to the Manager in the dealership here, he requested me to upgrade to RXL. Finally i agreed and if everything goes well, will be getting the delivery of my Black Duster in another 1 week.

@All: Anyone tried the additional jump seat accessory that Renault is providing. Is it usable. Please post your experience on that if any?
Old 27th October 2012, 15:12   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
I booked RXE model on July 8 and got a call from Renault Customer care 15 days back saying that they would deliver the vehicle only by March 2013. ...
Spoke to the Manager in the dealership here, he requested me to upgrade to RXL. Finally i agreed and if everything goes well, will be getting the delivery of my Black Duster in another 1 week.
I didn't get no call from Renault, but I did call their customer care line myself and I was told something similar. In my case they said the allocation will be made in Jan OR Feb 2013 - I too had booked in July. So that means the delivery would be later than that. I love the car, and there is simply no other alternative to this vehicle. But I will be canceling my booking. Another thing is that even if you consent to take the 85RXL, it is still gonna take time - that's what I was told anyway. There are no 85PS models being delivered is what I was told. They (dealer) did say that they could possibly speed up delivery if I want to go for 110PS variants. How can the company deliver 110 models but not the 85 models? This clearly means that (a) the waiting line is not being honored in order of booking date, (b) there is some issue with either the production line or the procurement of 85PS parts, or (c) it's a ploy to milk the cash cow by forcing people towards higher priced variants.

I was given a time frame for delivery according to which I should have received the vehicle already. No communication or commitment from the dealer as well as Renault has now turned me off. It is clear that the shared plant for the Renault-Nissan Alliance is actually not such a bright idea when it comes down to meeting demand. They do not have the proper structure to support both marques when both are indeed growing.

I'm gonna have to buy some other vehicle and I'm not happy about it.
Old 28th October 2012, 00:32   #1271
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking to buy one (85 hp, base or mid would be ok - White color)

Got to know from Renault Andheri that 85 base model is sold out & bookings will re-open in June 2013

Need to get one soon as my Punto is sold & would need a replacement.
Any suggestions from where ( Maharashtra / Gujarat is ok ) it is in stock / available

Any cancellation/s can be diverted to me plz

Last edited by karan561 : 28th October 2012 at 00:50.
Old 28th October 2012, 13:37   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
BTW. I booked RXE model on July 8 and got a call from Renault Customer care 15 days back saying that they would deliver the vehicle only by March 2013. The worst customer experience i have ever had in my life.

Was really tempted to cancel the booking but still dint want to do that for the love of the vehicle. Everyone in my home liked the vehicle, so dint want to cancel it for this reason.

@All: Anyone tried the additional jump seat accessory that Renault is providing. Is it usable. Please post your experience on that if any?

I really admire your patience. To wait for 8 months to take delivery of the RxE is really not acceptable. No customer is going to wait that long.

At the same time, happy to note you did not cancel the booking. As a satisfied user of the RxL (O), I must say, the Duster really delivers on key fronts.

I know it's a stretch, but please see whether you can go for the RxL with option pack. Airbags and ABS are vital accessories while driving on the highways. The rear parking sensors are really useful and the alloy wheels really add to the overall majesty of the vehicle.

Renault Mount Road actively discouraged me from fitting the additional jump seat and once I saw the accessory, it was not difficult to see why!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th October 2012 at 14:16. Reason: fixed quote tags :)
Rada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 16:54   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
So what was the feedback.

I have few questions for all Duster owners.
I will be getting delivery of the 85 PS near Diwali.
1.How is the quality of mudflaps & footmats provided by Renault. Are they worth buying.
2.The dealer is quoting 45k+ Taxes for Megaudio OEM HU.
Has anybody upgraded to this?
Old 28th October 2012, 17:24   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
So what was the feedback.

I have few questions for all Duster owners.
I will be getting delivery of the 85 PS near Diwali.
1.How is the quality of mudflaps & footmats provided by Renault. Are they worth buying.
2.The dealer is quoting 45k+ Taxes for Megaudio OEM HU.
Has anybody upgraded to this?

Both the mudflaps and the floor mat was provided free of cost in Chennai there quality is top notch.
You can also check Caska HU specially designed for Duster.
Old 28th October 2012, 17:33   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Both the mudflaps and the floor mat was provided free of cost in Chennai there quality is top notch.
You can also check Caska HU specially designed for Duster.
Here in Delhi dealer is not giving anything for free.They are charging Rs 3790 for Mudflaps & Footmats.
The Caska HU is anyway expensive than Megaudio.
I am planning to get HU installed from outside.
Any information about central fascia available for Duster,so aftermarket touchscreen can be added.

Guys any suggestions on alloys for the Duster.
I am keeping the stock tires,just need to upgrades wheels.

Last edited by h.s.r : 28th October 2012 at 17:52. Reason: Added words..

Most Viewed