Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:06   #106
BHPian

Infact Honda City also has its fuel lid connected to the central locking.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2012 at 18:05. Reason: Please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars. Full make + model only please
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:40   #107
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Hi GTO

As usual a Flawless Review, Congrats man !

I have few questions regarding Duster Diesel 85PS RXE

1. What is the on road price of it? Ex showroom(Trichy) says 8.14L approx

2. ARAI certifies its mileage to be 20.4KMPL, will it cross 23+ like LOGAN'S case where ARAI certified it around 20KMPL but in reality my uncle gets 23+ without AC.

3. Is it really worthy to shell out 1Lakh for Air bags and ABS i.e Diesel 85PS RXL even then its only optional there so do please tell me how much more it really costs?

4. My budget is below 10L (to carry 5 persons and a hound rarely ) for a SUV or a Mini SUV , WRT mileage Duster wins the race . i hope so!

5. I own a Scorpio(without airbags or ABS) and Mahindra Classic, do please suggest me what will be a good replacement for my Scorpio.

Comments from all Bhpians will be very useful to go for the right choice.
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:42   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Ordinary meter console is common to petrol & diesel engines. No redline marking on tachometer!
The design of the dial markings are used as the redlining I suppose.
As you get closer to the 5000rpm and till 6000rpm, the markings get closer and after 6000rpm its almost a solid bar.
The red backlight serves the purpose of the redline.
IMO its a nice touch than the red paint in most of the other cars. But on the flip side, its mostly invisible during the day.

Quote:
Bonnet has a hydraulic strut. All you have to do is unlock the bonnet and the strut will do the work of lifting it up:
Is it strong enough to last the time test?
Is there an additional holder/lock for the bonnet? I mean is the pnuematic strut just for opening or does it, on its own, hold the bonnet?
I expect that if the pneumatic holder might not last long and as the pressure reduces the it may not be able to hold the weight of the bonnet and eventually fall down.
Touch wood but some accident/niggles of the bonnet pressing someone's head might be reported if the strut fails.

Quote:
Other Points:

• Strangely enough, the brake lights don’t work with the ignition off! The headlamps do.

• The rear air-con functions independently of the front. Remember to switch it off (separately) when not needed.

Very strange indeed...

Other wierd things:
* ORVM adjustment knob...Is it possible that the ORVM accidentally turn when using the handbrake?
* The headlamp adjuster knob near(almost below) the steering wheel
* The reverse parking sensor on/off switch
* the rear AC placement

Some nice touches I saw:
* tie down hooks on the boot floor. Any idea if this will go if one opts for the jump seats? I feel that the jump seats will lock into these. Please confirm.
* The elastic holder in the centre console

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
... and FIAT. 4 years / 1 Lac kms.
raj_5004, I think GTO is talking about standard warranty and not extended warranty.
Standard in FIAT is 2 years/30k kms and extended being 50months/1lakh isn't it?

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 23rd July 2012 at 13:56.
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:45   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the flap-type door handles went out of style in the nineties, while their silver paint is a cheap touch.
The silver paint on the handles and the ORVMs is definitely in bad taste, it just didn't look right. On the other hand, I couldn't find anything against flap-type door handles. Shape and design aside, they didn't at all feel flimsy or distasteful to me. In fact the outstanding and once-expensive Honda Jazz, which garners consistently good opinions from the public and the media, also comes with flap-type door handles but we generally tend to ignore those. I think we are more forgiving of some brands than others.
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:55   #110
BHPian

Hi GTO

Thanks for a detailed and wonderful Review. The Photographs were nice and so was the scenery. Wonder why more Films are shot abroad than in India , which is itself has so many extraordinary places

Coming Back to Topic , I need help to resolve my dilemma ?

I have already booked 85 PS RXL Option Pack,

* I love the looks of Duster, but hate the Quality of Interiors
* already have a sedate but Jack of All trades Sedan , Corolla Altis so Duster would be mostly for weekend Getaways and evening sojourns and would also be driven by Wifey
* I opted for 85 PS option Pack instead of 110 PS RXL because of Added Safety Features

* I have been wanting to buy a SUV for quite sometime but could not afford Endy/ Fortuner and do not like Scorpio/Safari

* Going by your review , which comes out as a mixed bag I am in two minds , whether to Go for Duster or choose a Sedan (Sunny /Verna ??)

Guys please help out

Cheers

Nitin
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:56   #111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update*

My bad, guys. A fuel lid release is indeed provided. Thanks to Bhuvanesh Manhas for pointing it out. Sincere apologies for the wrong info.

There is some confusion though. Someone from Renault has confirmed that earlier Dusters had the fuel-lid connected to the central locking system. In the production version however, a fuel-lid lever has been provided. I just checked my notes again and it categorically mentions that I had to (centrally) unlock the car to open the fuel lid. Maybe, ours was a pre-production vehicle then?

Renault Duster : Official Review-lever.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Photograph quality is very impressive.
Thanks. It's a compliment to an amateur photographer & his Lumix LX3.

Quote:
Placing it opposite the Scorpio is a brilliant idea
Just thought it was necessary, especially for an SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
How easy do you find it on the 85 bhp Diesel engine version to ascend hills ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
but what i am curios is how much of a cruiser it is and how easy it would be to overtake vehicles on highway speeds.
Same engine to the Sunny. Kerb weight difference is ~90 kilos (or 1 healthy passenger). I haven't ever faced an issue on the hills in my Sunny. In fact, the zero-lag nature makes it better suited to steep inclines than a Dzire or Manza whose clutch you need to slip.

@ SkyWalker : The Sunny D has good pep (better than Dzire, Manza etc.) on the highway.

Of course, we'll have to wait until a full test of the Duster 85 PS before passing verdict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
@GTO: How bad is the wind noise ?
The wind noise at 80 kph was very prominent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
3 out of 5 Euro NCAP rating
While I agree that the 3* NCAP rating is nothing to write home about, it's direct competitors - the desi UVs - haven't even been crash-tested in Europe. Will the decade+ old Tatas & Mahindras even pass in a 2011 / 2012 NCAP test?

Quote:
Since Renault has been stealing cars from Nissan and rebadging them all this time, will Nissan turn tables and come up with a "Coaster" (it's variant of the Duster)?
Not in the near future. Renault is keeping the Duster close to its chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
While going through the general expectations I can summarize that people want better quality from EcoSport but at the lesser price wrt Duster. Honestly, I don't think its a realistic expectation. At the same time, few are ready to pay more for the quality. Quite a tricky situation.
I think that 75% of BHPians would have been a happier lot if the RxL 85 had ABS (only) as standard. As things stand, they have to spend quite a lot to get that basic piece of safety equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
To all the forum members who are about to receive their very own Dusters - did you get any discounts for your purchase?
No chance. On the other hand, I know folk who are ready to pay a premium for quicker delivery.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2012 at 15:59.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:00   #112
BHPian

As usual the review was outstanding and detailed.

Just one pic of Duster next to a scorpio showed how small it actually is! In flesh it is much better looking though. Also sad that you didnt get to drive the Petrol which i was eagerly awaiting for!

Anyway my mind is almost made up! I think i am going to wait for the Ford Eco-sport launch which is a loooong wait. Now that IAB has confirmed that Automatic is being tested in India, may be i can streach my budget and get that - it all depends on the pricing however.
urajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:00   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The design of the dial markings are used as the redlining I suppose.
As you get closer to the 5000rpm and till 6000rpm, the markings get closer and after 6000rpm its almost a solid bar.
The red backlight serves the purpose of the redline.
IMO its a nice touch than the red paint in most of the other cars. But on the flip side, its mostly invisible during the day.
The Diesel redlines at 5000rpm and i suppose Petrol might revv upto 6000 rpm. This is cost saving/cutting, with this design they can use the same tachometer for both Petrol and Diesel variants.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd July 2012 at 21:11. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:20   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
3. Is it really worthy to shell out 1Lakh for Air bags and ABS i.e Diesel 85PS RXL even then its only optional there so do please tell me how much more it really costs?
I guess it depends on how much you value safety and probably your life. I would say go for the version with ABS and Airbags. Better to be safe than sorry.
shivasuma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:45   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I guess it depends on how much you value safety and probably your life. I would say go for the version with ABS and Airbags. Better to be safe than sorry.
+ 1 I doubt any one here would say it's worthless to go for ABS and airbags. I for one am seriously disappointed at the lack of safety features as standard. My usage may not warrant a diesel but to think I can't buy a petrol with abs is shocking. Absolutely no way I m going for a car without ABS.
I would suggest to either get ready to spend extra for the abs or look at some other car that provides this within your budget. Basic safety features are what one should look at on his car. All else being secondary. Just my opinion.
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:45   #116
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A fuel lid release is indeed provided.
Thank you GTO. Your post settles a lot of arguements. Even the fuel lid in my All New Fiesta is linked to the central locking system and there is nothing wrong with it.

The cut in the rubber beading looks really bad.

Renault Duster : Official Review-lever.jpg
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:47   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Frankly, its a car not a boat.
I agree, but I want to be practical and this is the picture of Hyderabad for last two days and this picture taken from heart of the City in Panjagutta/NIMS area:

I don't think I can drive in any Sedan.. but it doesn't mean that I will be driving in Duster either, but I feel more secured in Duster and less worrisome in those conditions.

BTW, No offense to your comments.
niv26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 15:39   #118
BHPian

I feel that Renault is treading on thin ice here as far as Duster is concerned. To suit the Indian market, it has got two things right.
1. This is an SUV
2. The price range starts from a very affordable 8 lakhs

The reason I feel it is on thin ice is the compromises it has made. If tomorrow, based on market demand, it has to add a few features, let's say 60:40 split seats or ABS, they will not be able to maintain their pricing at these levels. Then, it will be the same story of a vehcile that started off well but fizzled out.

The Japanese or Koerans will match this any day, leave alone our Indian manufacturers.
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:00   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Thank you GTO. Your post settles a lot of arguements. Even the fuel lid in my All New Fiesta is linked to the central locking system and there is nothing wrong with it.

The cut in the rubber beading looks really bad.

Attachment 960682
There is some confusion though. Someone from Renault has confirmed that earlier Dusters had the fuel-lid connected to the central locking system. In the production version however, a fuel-lid lever has been provided. I just checked my notes again and it categorically mentions that I had to (centrally) unlock the car to open the fuel lid. Maybe, ours wasn't a fresh production vehicle (common with many media cars).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:10   #120
Senior - BHPian

Excellent report as usual.

I am loving the Duster, every bit of it. And, the thing that GTO did not like much in his review, actually interests me most. The optional jump seat makes the Duster complete for me, since on most occasions, I have to carry 6 adults. I just hope the seat is easily detachable and this optional accessory does not cost a fortune.

How I wished there was a detailed review also about the 85PS Duster? Dear MODS, any chances of that coming in the near future?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks