Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:28   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There is some confusion though. Someone from Renault has confirmed that earlier Dusters had the fuel-lid connected to the central locking system. In the production version however, a fuel-lid lever has been provided. I just checked my notes again and it categorically mentions that I had to (centrally) unlock the car to open the fuel lid. Maybe, ours wasn't a fresh production vehicle (common with many media cars).
The phoren Dusters do not have the remote fuel lid release. Its a cost saving measure. The Remote Fuel lid release is an India- specific customization.

Do you see the notch on the fuel cover?

Thats where you would need to insert your finger, flick the lid , Put your key in and unlock the Fuel cover. Just like you do it in a bike.

I assume all this so that Dacia could save up on the cost of running a cable & the paraphernalia that goes with that release.

and OT, but have you seen the size of that release???

Quote:
*Update*

While I agree that the 3* NCAP rating is nothing to write home about, it's direct competitors - the desi UVs - haven't even been crash-tested in Europe. Will the decade+ old Tatas & Mahindras even pass in a 2011 / 2012 NCAP test?
hey, atleast the W8 XUV has a 4 Star rating in the ANCAP.
The Duster isn't tested , but the same Agency gives the BMW X3 a 4 star as well.

Good , no?

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2012 at 17:49. Reason: Merging both your posts.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:22   #122
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

GTO, do you have the list of such items that Renault has introduced in production vehicles?
I wonder if speed sensitive door locks are one of them?
I definitely think the door lock button position could have been fixed and moved to the right side.
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:55   #123
BHPian

As always a solid review GTO, wish our "leading" car magazines & shows would take a leaf out of the BHP book.

I was at the showroom to see the Duster the day it launched & had a mixed response to it. While the front end looks partially butch, i feel its been set a wee bit too low. The Duster looks the best when viewed from the rear quarter, highlighting the nice lines & curves.

The seating position for me is too low for a SUV ( keeping in mind i drive a Scorpio), almost sedan like. in a city like Delhi where i live i need that extra height, allows me a good view & keeps sedans at bay

Agree on the switch qualities, for a car that will cost me over 11lakhs on road they really should give the premium feel, which is badly lacking.

My 2.6 CRDE Scorpio lacks Airbags & ABS since its the base model and i badly want these in my next SUV; hence i have to opt for the diesel with the extra pack.

My main question/concern is i drive a 2.6 litre scorpio which has enough power & torque to power on the highways & hills, no problems there. Prior to this i had a Tempo trax Judo, again no issues with power. If i was to go in for the 85 or 110 bhp Duster, will i feel that dearth of power? in the hills of j&k and himachal will i consistently be between 1st & 2nd gear? will an i10 overtake me on my usual drives on NH1

would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these concerns. Im looking to upgrade soon and my choices are severely limited. XUV the logical choice i dont like its too soft & overdone on the design, Yeti too expensive, Thar (which i love) has bad handling & yes i cant drive sedans any more else i would have locked down the new Cruze by now.

Cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:09   #124
BHPian

My dealer is now giving me a delivery date of a week within 16th August,last week they had previously mentioned a week within 23rd July.
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:20   #125
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B View Post
Man that was comprehensive, most people who would buy this car would not even notice its tiny, but significant pros and cons unless they bump into this review.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The only disadvantage this faces is the lack of proper 3 seats in the middle row.
Actually, as mentioned in my review, fitting 3 passengers on the middle seat is NOT a problem. The seat is very wide. For the 110 PS with the rear air-con, yes, the 5th passenger will have to wiggle his way through before sitting. But once on his place, he won't face any issues at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Looks like the mechanicals of the car are solid.
Certainly feels like a robust SUV. Plus, it's got proven underpinnings. This engine is an acknowledged long-termer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
What is the on road price of it? Ex showroom(Trichy) says 8.14L approx
Please call your local showroom for the on-road price.

Quote:
Is it really worthy to shell out 1Lakh for Air bags and ABS
Absolutely yes. As they say, you only need airbags once in your life (or if unlucky, twice). Better to have them around, should the need come up sooner than you expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The design of the dial markings are used as the redlining I suppose.
As you get closer to the 5000rpm and till 6000rpm, the markings get closer and after 6000rpm its almost a solid bar.
The dials are common to both, petrol & diesel. How will you know you are approaching the redline in the diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
TOn the other hand, I couldn't find anything against flap-type door handles.
Flap-type handles just look OLD! That's even more so on an old-looking car (though I agree with your point on the Jazz).

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
The Japanese or Koerans will match this any day
I have no doubt in my mind that Maruti & Hyundai mini-SUVs are coming our way. And if their recent products are anything to go by (Maruti quality has greatly improved, Hyundai is the best in class), we can safely expect i20-like interiors & equipment on a compact SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I wonder if speed sensitive door locks are one of them?
Nope, production version doesn't have auto-locking doors. It might take them only 5 minutes to activate it via the ECU though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
My main question/concern is i drive a 2.6 litre scorpio which has enough power & torque to power on the highways & hills, no problems there. Prior to this i had a Tempo trax Judo, again no issues with power. If i was to go in for the 85 or 110 bhp Duster, will i feel that dearth of power?
The Scorpio has always had superb engines, including the 2.6L at the time of launch. There is no replacement for displacement, more so with SUVs. The Duster simply doesn't have the low end response & torque delivery of the Scorpio. Once past 2,000 rpm though, it can leave the Scorpio in the "dust".
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:27   #126
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk
Hi GTO

3. Is it really worthy to shell out 1Lakh for Air bags and ABS i.e Diesel 85PS RXL even then its only optional there so do please tell me how much more it really costs?

4. My budget is below 10L (to carry 5 persons and a hound rarely ) for a SUV or a Mini SUV , WRT mileage Duster wins the race . i hope so!

5. I own a Scorpio(without airbags or ABS) and Mahindra Classic, do please suggest me what will be a good replacement for my Scorpio.

Comments from all Bhpians will be very useful to go for the right choice.
In todays scenario safety kit is absolutely necessary. At least ABS if not Air bags. This can mean the difference between life and death.

Most of us in India tend to think in terms of that extra 1 lac. But I do believe that it is better to spend it and be safe rather than sorry.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:08   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, production version doesn't have auto-locking doors. It might take them only 5 minutes to activate it via the ECU though.
That will do, at least there is an option to get it enabled from the dealer.
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:41   #128
BHPian

As per their Website, Renault has just 3 showrooms in the whole of Bangalore. Maruti has 4 in Bannerghatta Road!

Of the 3 Renault showrooms, only ONE is a service center! Source here: Renault Cars dealer in India, Renault Cars dealer, Renault Cars dealer Services.

They urgently need to increase the number of service centers (if not sales centers), especially after launching a potential volume seller like Duster. While spur-of-the-moment excitement may get them good numbers initially, bad word of mouth over a period of time due to poor A.S.S would ruin their brand perception and future prospects in India.

Last edited by veyron_head : 23rd July 2012 at 19:43.
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:48   #129
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head
As per their Website, Renault has just 3 showrooms in the whole of Bangalore. Maruti has 4 in Bannerghatta Road!

Of the 3 Renault showrooms, only ONE is a service center! Source here: Renault Cars dealer in India, Renault Cars dealer, Renault Cars dealer Services.

They urgently need to increase the number of service centers (if not sales centers), especially after launching a potential volume seller like Duster. While spur-of-the-moment excitement may get them good numbers initially, bad word of mouth over a period of time due to poor A.S.S would ruin their brand perception and future prospects in India.
They have plans of 100 stations across India in this year.
This is the classic case of which came first, the cart or the horse or the chicken or the egg.

I do believe they have a decent plan and they are working towards it.
How long did it take Ford or Hyundai to create their networks? In the year 1999 one thought twice before buying a Hyundai and in 1997 one thought twice before buying a Ford on account of this very reason!
Everyone requires time to establish and I believe Renault will get the job done since with the Duster, they appear to be very serious about this market.

Of course M&M and Tata cannot be compared with Renault in this aspect because they have simply been around forever in some form or other in India and have had the time to go to far flung places, as has Maruti.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd July 2012 at 19:53.
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:03   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
They have plans of 100 stations across India in this year.
The '100' looks to be the number of dealerships. Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I do believe they have a decent plan and they are working towards it. Everyone requires time to establish and I believe Renault will get the job done since with the Duster, they appear to be very serious about this market.
However, with a 10000 km / 1yr service interval, the number of visits would be lesser. And by that time (a year before first real service @ 10 K, a 2 K free service was mentioned), {and with another sedan up their sleeve}, Renault is bound to get the act together.
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:41   #131
BANNED

Called up Palace Renault and they told that deliveries of Duster will start on 27th July and also asked them about additional service centre and they confirmed that currently one more Showroom-cum-Service Centre is under construction at Mysore Road but the executive was not sure about the location on Mysore Road.

On Sunday I visited this showroom and one of the executive told me that they have already received approx. 170+ Dusters in their stockyeard for deliveries that will commence from 27th.

I look forward to first hand report from the person who will be getting first Duster in Bangalore.
micrographics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:49   #132
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Fantastically detailed review! Thanks GTO for all the painstaking effort and attention to detail.

I liked the dog-like aggressive stance of the vehicle. The size comparison shot with Scorpio shows that the size is decent (So its not just a big hatch with big tyres like Rio). The 4 year standard warranty is comforting and hints at Renault's confidence in the vehicle's reliability.

The interiors are a complete let down and problems with ergonomics are not going to go down well with the customers. At the same time, this new category and segment of compact SUVs is such a breath of fresh air that the Duster would sell well.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:09   #133
Senior - BHPian

Great review .....must rank as the most comprehensive one to date. Your attention to detail is commendable!

The Duster comes across as a "head" vehicle rather than a "heart" vehicle. Pretty competent but doesnt stir the emotive quotient. However, for a vast majority of the car buying public, it ticks all the right boxes and hence has the makings of a winner.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:13   #134
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2012 at 22:32.
Nitinz is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Nice and crisp review GTO!!
Completely agree with you, the Duster does not look like a bulged hatch.

The interiors is not great but that is when you compare to c2 sedans. But it miles ahead when compared to Scorps/Safari which for me are its direct competetion.

I believe even though the Duster is compact length wise, provided that it is wider than Scorpio, one might not be able to zip like a sedan/hatch.

Couple of questions

1.When i checked Duster i saw greasing done in couple of places(seat underneath rails,door leavers etc). Did the test drive cars had the same? Does this mean the car would be a RATTLE master in long run?

2.Provided that 85PS are 110PS are essentially same engine, will there be a difference in Service/maintenance cost?

3.What makes Duster a Full 2 lac costlier compared to Sunny? considering the 85PS RXL(o) Duster, the similar spec'd Sunny(XL). Is it just because cost of manufacturing SUV is higher?
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks