Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2012, 12:28   #736
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Any Idea about the head lamp rating of the Duster? How bright are they? Is an update required for this?

Also, I need some information on the booking procedure. When will the VIN be conveyed to us after booking?
Old 25th August 2012, 15:10   #737
BHPian

Hi guys.

I had the ac leakage again on the driver side. This time it was not too much. Got it repaired. Last time they checked the drain pipe which was jammed under the body and now they fixed it by removing the dash. I got really upset. They told me it won't trouble again.

Got the service done for 2000 kms. I will be going to bangalore

Name:  ForumRunner_20120825_150258.png
Views: 5394
Size:  343.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120825_150306.png
Views: 5486
Size:  308.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120825_150934.png
Views: 5078
Size:  384.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120825_150945.png
Views: 5418
Size:  372.1 KB

and ooty for a holiday. Will do up leather seats from bangalore.

I got the skid plates (fibre) done. It comes under body parts and still costly. 10,600 for 2pcs and it comes painted in silver. Just a thin sheet of fibre.

Is it out of topic if we post pics of our mods and such.?
DRIVEN-TWEEL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 16:25   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN-TWEEL View Post
Hi guys.

I got the skid plates (fibre) done. It comes under body parts and still costly. 10,600 for 2pcs and it comes painted in silver. Just a thin sheet of fibre.
Hi,

Would you please share the part numbers for the skid plates ? It would definitely help our other members who are interested in this upgrade.

Kaushal.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th August 2012 at 16:54. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 25th August 2012, 16:36   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN-TWEEL View Post
Hi guys.
I had the ac leakage again on the driver side. This time it was not too much. Got it repaired. Last time they checked the drain pipe which was jammed under the body and now they fixed it by removing the dash. I got really upset. They told me it won't trouble again.

Got the service done for 2000 kms. I will be going to bangalore
and ooty for a holiday. Will do up leather seats from bangalore.

Is it out of topic if we post pics of our mods and such.?
Wow ,so its confirmed that now we can get skid plates also as an accessory.
They are bit on costlier side,but adding premium look to the vehicle.Duster looks complete with those plates.
How much u pay for the service and how was the experience at service station.
Any positive info provided by you will boost the confidence of fellow Bhpians.
I don't think its offtopic to post pictures of accessories added to your Duster.
Better post an ownership thread.
I am waiting for an ownership thread on Duster, but none so far.
I am also waiting to see how it looks after Leather seats.
Any other modifications u planning to get?
Old 25th August 2012, 18:34   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
I am waiting for an ownership thread on Duster, but none so far

There is one, do check out the link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ners-take.html

What about Duster petrol ? No reviews anywhere at all, even elsewhere on the net.
mooza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 18:40   #741
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
1. Products speak for themselves.
When unscheduled service station visits exceed scheduled ones,

2. Horrendous plastics: As far as popular observation goes, plastics are not horrendously cheap and are better than those in the desi SUVs.

3. Jugaad AC tower in the back: Only in the RXZ, which doesn't matter to those who're eyeing the other variants.

4. Beading-less doors: Why fuss over beadings? Beadings on the door are a means to an end. When NVH control is reportedly much superior to the desi makes, should it really matter to me as a buyer?

5. OVRM control placement: People frowned upon similar power window switch placement in the Indica/Indigo, and they are certainly frowning upon the Duster too, aren't they? Will option-starved people strike off the Duster because its OVRM control placement is odd? I think we indeed are nit-picking here. We know there can't be perfect machines.

6. The Duster is cheaper than both the similarly specced Safari and the Scorpio too, and it has drawn very decent, in fact, surprised road test reviews by most testers.
Well, depends on your mindset, is what I was trying to point out.

1. If you find one, that is ! Pl read the report by Driven-Tweel a couple of posts earlier, you will realize that a mechanical product has its shares of issues, Mahindra or TATA or Renault.
2. Nope, the ARIA's plastics and interior are far superior, please see one to appreciate. I own one, and have seen the Duster's ones, that's where the confidence comes from.
3. Fact is, the rear AC tower is a "jugaad" one , that's offered to a buyer by Renault in one variant to make the sticker price less and fit into "similarly specced" dimensions.
4. Call it value engineering or plain cost - cutting, you get less for your money. Can you pl list out such samples from around the world ? I mean the likes of ETIOS, etc ? If beadings didn't affect NVH, why don't manufacturers just do away with them ?
5. People like to nit pick, especially with with TATA vehicles. Why not apply the same logic to Renault as well and be fair ?
6. Now you are talking my language. If cost is the concern, why not the ARIA (Pure) or the Scoprio LX or SAFARI LX ? Similarly specced ? The m Hawk (even at 120 bhp) in the LX or the 2.2 VTT are far superior engines than the K9K (whatever tune), this has also been widely acknowledged !
Check out the road tests of its competition, you will find the negatives as plastics, After Sales problems, uneven panel gaps, etc. I have seldom found poor build quality in terms of the essentials - engine, suspension, steering, etc in them, which matters the most.

An ARIA Pure at approx 10L on road, Gurgaon is a better bet than the Duster in any form.

Sandy

Last edited by lifebuoy : 25th August 2012 at 18:54.
Old 25th August 2012, 18:48   #742
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitinz View Post
1. value one perceives from the brand , niggles that are associated with Tata or Mahindra !!

2. Duster may have quirky ergonomics but plastics are not horrendous though cheap, Ovrm switch placement is not bad , AC is not exactly a jugaad !

3. After owning a Tata Indigo and numerous niggles and several trips to service centre, I would anyway prefer a duster over aria or even a Mahindra vehicle

4. Have driven Duster and loved the way it handles the Roads , so I can ignore a bit of quirkiness

cheers
1. Tat's my point - percieved value !

2. English vocab cannot change material quality or value, my friend. See it yourself, seeing is believing.

3. That's a personal opinion / experience. The ARIA is my FOURTH TATA vehicle and the Indica I exchanged for the ARIA was ten years old, with 1.3L on the clock. Small issues, yes, major faults - none that I know of.

4. Drive the ARIA, it would serve to shake the dust off your opinion, maybe, without any quirkiness.

Sandy
Old 25th August 2012, 21:30   #743
BHPian

When a car has a space/engine like a sedan, it should be compared with sedans. The comparison with SUVs is flawed as even Renault also compared it with sedans in their adverts.
Check overall package of sedans within same price range and it will be clear that the cost cutting is not to the benefit of consumer but to increase the margins of the manufacturer.
No doubt that the ride quality is good, but how much are consumers willing to sacrifice on other parameters is yet to be seen.
Old 26th August 2012, 00:18   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post

An ARIA Pure at approx 10L on road, Gurgaon is a better bet than the Duster in any form.

Sandy
Friend, it seems to me from your ferocious defense of the Tatas that I have touched a raw nerve somewhere. Thumbs up if you've bought the Aria because you appear happy with it. From objective observation, I'd say you're a lucky man to have experienced hassle-free Tatas because as much as I respect Tata for what they've achieved, just the fact that they spin out cars of inconsistent quality means they have a long way to go yet. Typically, you don't find owners nitpicking with Tatas & Mahindras and you know what I mean. Let there be no hesitation in acknowledging limitations (and of course strengths) of what we evaluate, irrespective of whether the company is Indian or foreign. Now let's not get into this my-car-is-better-than-yours mode and get needlessly defensive.

If I believe the Duster's flaws are not as substantial for my purposes as the Safari's are, I buy a Duster. No matter what car or make you buy, there will be people feeling it is ugly or uninspiring or boring. So chill. Different strokes for different folks.

It's clear that our market has embraced our desi cars for what they are, for the value they offer. Sheer numbers testify to this, no doubt. Why protest when they criticized for their limitations? There's no doubt that I'd be super proud of Indian engineering shining over the others, and I'd like to believe that all of us will too. Let's discuss products, and the Duster in particular, not patriotism. I'm afraid we have already deviated from the subject at hand, and from this point, I offer no more arguments.
skandyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 07:51   #745
Senior - BHPian

My personal opinion, the more the DUSTER moves away from the below 10,00,000 tag, the less and less attractive it becomes :-(

An ARIA at 10 is surely an awesome deal and an XUV for the price of a 110 DUSTER is a no brainer
Old 26th August 2012, 10:46   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy

1. Tat's my point - percieved value !

2. English vocab cannot change material quality or value, my friend. See it yourself, seeing is believing.

3. That's a personal opinion / experience. The ARIA is my FOURTH TATA vehicle and the Indica I exchanged for the ARIA was ten years old, with 1.3L on the clock. Small issues, yes, major faults - none that I know of.

4. Drive the ARIA, it would serve to shake the dust off your opinion, maybe, without any quirkiness.

Sandy

Hi Sandy

We are not here on a fault finding mission and yes perceived value will always be different based on individual experiences and reviews available in the market. ARIA is a huge leap forward for TATA but for me based on my experience is a still no.

yes I would like to check out ARIA , but Will not buy it!

As already in this thread several niggles have come out in open for Duster , but for me it still perceives more value and fits the bill for a 5seater city cruiser with occasional highway drives

cheers
Old 26th August 2012, 11:35   #747
Senior - BHPian

Checked the on-road price for the ARIA, it's 14,00,000 for the cheapest variant, even factoring any discounts that may be available, it's not value for money vis-a-vis the DUSTER

The USP for me is the European build and design, the compact dimensions, and if the need arises one OEM jump seat can be added at the rear

The only thing that might keep People waiting is the probability of NISSAN coming up with a rebadged version which might not look this good, but as per past experience, will definitely be cheaper
Old 26th August 2012, 12:16   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r

I guess we all are in same boat.
All are pretty confused, frustated by the Renault lousy response.
It seems no 85 Ps has been delivered anywhere in India, which shows something is not right with Renault.
I am seriously considering my booking with Duster.
My booking is with Renault Delhi West.
I am already looking for other options.
Hi

I too had booked with Renault Delhi West ! Got a call from sales guy offering 110 RXL with option pack when I had called him one evening before about canceling my booking. I was a bit taken back since this variant was not offered initially.

Since we have already using Sedans and Duster is a fresh change we are looking for , I might just go for it . 85 with option pack may not be available till September end perhaps !

cheers
Old 26th August 2012, 18:22   #749
BHPian

Anyone in forum got or know some one who got Woodland Brown or Graphote Grey colour Got delivered?
I am seeing people who booked other colours except above two are getting delivery and I booked woodland Brown 85 RXE on July 7th and still waiting with no luck.
Old 26th August 2012, 19:10   #750
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
1. Now let's not get into this my-car-is-better-than-yours mode and get needlessly defensive.

2. If I believe the Duster's flaws are not as substantial for my purposes as the Safari's are, I buy a Duster.

3. Let's discuss products, and the Duster in particular, not patriotism.
Pl read the reply to Nitinz and the post by Driven Tweel, they are self explanatory with respect to product quality and comparison that I was referring to, NOT patriotism of any kind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks