Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 12:22   #2551
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Has anyone tried to integrate a revers parking camera with the MediaNav screen?
Does the MediaNav system provide for such an input?

Has anyone tried to play video files off the USB input on MediaNav system?
Old 19th June 2013, 14:17   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Has anyone tried to integrate a revers parking camera with the MediaNav screen?
Does the MediaNav system provide for such an input?

Has anyone tried to play video files off the USB input on MediaNav system?
Integration with the Medianav system is not possible according to the showrooms. Don't know if there is any aftermarket possibility but don't want to take risk of voided warranty that might happen.

A good alternative I saw is a video reverse cam fitted on the IRVM - cost was 8k
Old 19th June 2013, 14:36   #2553
BHPian

One question, about braking when engine stalled.

I hit this issue multiple times when going on steep ramp my engine stalled due to sudden stops/clutch issues(whatever) (I drive in stop and go traffic in Hyderabad/Jublihills/Krishna nagar areas if you are familiar), I see suddenly the loss of braking and the brake become really hard and Car start rolling back (due to steep). (the only way to stop this is to use hand brake)

I haven't seen this issue my previous Honda City(though there is loss of braking but I still could control).

This is very dangerous and alarming for Duster. Is this specific to Diesel engines?

Does anyone seen this issue and any suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited by niv26 : 19th June 2013 at 14:37.
Old 19th June 2013, 16:21   #2554
BHPian

[quote=driverace;3153472]

She(my soon-to-be-better-half) indeed keeps the car on idle - as the car goes around for shopping/ short errands, and someone has to wait in car (with A/c ON - since it's raining, windows can't be left open)
For now I am trying to tell her to drive ( as explained by me in the visit to Mumbai -the day before ).
Let's see how it does for next couple of hundred kms.

Ace.

Hi Ace,

Keeping car idle is the main issue I guess, while calculating FE, they consider idling time.

My duster's trip meter and "KM from Gas station" was not matching for couple of initial filling, it was showing two different figure with variation of 10%. Now it is matching, so MID need sometime to settle I guess. Couple of long drive FE was as follow:
1. Chennai to Mysore (Golden quadrilateral and good roads), abaout 1200KM distance, speed maintained was 80 to 100KM/Hr, FE was 22 KM/L.
2. Chennai-Kumbakonam-Tanjore-Trichy-chennai, one way state road other GQ (toll road), distance covered was arround 1000, FE was 19 KM/L (drop was due to state road, high traffice, one way kind of road.
3. Office commute in outskirts of chennai, 20 KM per day, FE is 17.5 KM/L.

With my old Chevy optra, I use to visit gas stations about 3 to 4 times per month. Now, I visit every 45 days once with 1/4th of the money!!! Real difference, but initial cost is high. But it is worth for long run.

One of my friend cleaned his "air-filter" to increase FE from 15 to 20 KM/L, if your duster is dusty area, check it. Unfortunately, in 85 PS (high end), air-filter indicator is missing, is Renault hearing?
ssmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 18:21   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmani View Post
Hi Ace,

Keeping car idle is the main issue I guess, while calculating FE, they consider idling time.

My duster's trip meter and "KM from Gas station" was not matching for couple of initial filling, it was showing two different figure with variation of 10%. Now it is matching, so MID need sometime to settle I guess.
That seems to be the current culprit but - need to confirm on that - by taking it to some (relatively) free roads and then looking at the figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmani View Post
...Couple of long drive FE was as follow:
1. Chennai to Mysore (Golden quadrilateral and good roads), abaout 1200KM distance, speed maintained was 80 to 100KM/Hr, FE was 22 KM/L.
2. Chennai-Kumbakonam-Tanjore-Trichy-chennai, one way state road other GQ (toll road), distance covered was arround 1000, FE was 19 KM/L (drop was due to state road, high traffice, one way kind of road.
3. Office commute in outskirts of chennai, 20 KM per day, FE is 17.5 KM/L.
One of my friend cleaned his "air-filter" to increase FE from 15 to 20 KM/L, if your duster is dusty area, check it. Unfortunately, in 85 PS (high end), air-filter indicator is missing, is Renault hearing?
I sure have read about Dusters doing good on highway runs ( or similar runs ).
Just wanted to references on how low the FE gets ( I have seen 12.XX numbers with some folks too )

Cleaning the Air-filter @ home, will read up on that.

Thank you for the inputs!

Ace.
Old 19th June 2013, 21:10   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Just wanted to references on how low the FE gets ( I have seen 12.XX numbers with some folks too )
Ace.
Let us wait any of our friends in Team-bhp who owns 85PS confirms this figure.

Please note more point that K9K engine (duster's) gives good milage only when you run around 80 to 90 KM/Hr. Hard pressing and sudden acceleration and deceleration may not give optimum FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

Cleaning the Air-filter @ home, will read up on that.

Thank you for the inputs!

Ace.
I would suggest to not doing yourself, if FE is your complaint, service station may not charge you a penny for air-filter cleaning. Give a try.

You are always welcome ACE.... have a happy drive. I should share my duster with my wife!!!
ssmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 22:37   #2557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
One question, about braking when engine stalled.

I hit this issue multiple times when going on steep ramp my engine stalled due to sudden stops/clutch issues(whatever) (I drive in stop and go traffic in Hyderabad/Jublihills/Krishna nagar areas if you are familiar), I see suddenly the loss of braking and the brake become really hard and Car start rolling back (due to steep). (the only way to stop this is to use hand brake)

I haven't seen this issue my previous Honda City(though there is loss of braking but I still could control).

This is very dangerous and alarming for Duster. Is this specific to Diesel engines?

Does anyone seen this issue and any suggestions.

Thanks.
I drive my duster in Hyd. What you are talking about is known behavior in cars. It's loss of hydraulic when engine is turned off. Have had it in my Indica for 8 years.
When the engine stalls, the brake pedal will slowly lose braking power and suddenly become hard. As you are moving from a petrol vehicle, there might be a driving style change you might want to undergo if you are stalling too often. Unlike half clutch driving in petrol vehicles, you should downshift in a diesel and maybe start from the first. Petrols can pull from a slow speed on a higher gear with clutch driving. Diesels don't seem to offer that ability. Your engine will shudder heavily and stall if you try the petrol style of driving.

Last edited by amitdan : 19th June 2013 at 22:39.
amitdan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 10:02   #2558
BHPian

A small video of a Duster 85PS crossing a river posted by "TheHumdex"
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 10:40   #2559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
I drive my duster in Hyd. What you are talking about is known behavior in cars. It's loss of hydraulic when engine is turned off. Have had it in my Indica for 8 years.
When the engine stalls, the brake pedal will slowly lose braking power and suddenly become hard. As you are moving from a petrol vehicle, there might be a driving style change you might want to undergo if you are stalling too often. Unlike half clutch driving in petrol vehicles, you should downshift in a diesel and maybe start from the first. Petrols can pull from a slow speed on a higher gear with clutch driving. Diesels don't seem to offer that ability. Your engine will shudder heavily and stall if you try the petrol style of driving.

Thanks for reply, but what do you do in such state? since brake pedal is useless, just use handbrake then?

Regd. trip meter discussion, The trip(F/E, Average numbers) get reset when battery discharges completely. One day I forgotten to switch off lights, the battery dead and so trip meter (but not the total km though).
Old 20th June 2013, 14:58   #2560
BHPian

^^Saw the video, thx for sharing
Is it just me or should this guy have been going much slower than he was while doing that stunt?
Old 21st June 2013, 08:26   #2561
BHPian

I too agree, the guy should have done this much slower. Though the entire so called stunt doesn't look like one, the driver must have been more worried about the car been swept away, hence the haste.
Old 21st June 2013, 22:30   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
I too agree, the guy should have done this much slower. Though the entire so called stunt doesn't look like one, the driver must have been more worried about the car been swept away, hence the haste.
From personal experience, I think the Duster's ride feels better when rough terrain is done at a pace faster than super slow. Cruising through in 2nd gear, seems to be optimal. But, who know the long term consequences of such driving style is?
Old 22nd June 2013, 13:15   #2563
BHPian

So my duster has done 10.5K kms and just returned from service center.

I am satisfied with vehicle. Agreed, it has thin metal sheets but well that's what we get here.

Mileage in Bangalore traffic has been 15+ always via tankful to tankful method. This is with no engine kills at lights and with AC on all the time.

On highways at ~90kmph speed, mileage is 20+ kmpl.

The more I drive other cars, more I appreciate Duster's suspension, it is awesome. I forget all the niggles and faults when it just glides over imperfections. Puts a smile on my face every day.

For a week when Duster was in Service Center, I drove wife's Santro and trust me my back hated me. But this also made me appreciate Santro more, it is just a reliable piece of Point A to Point B car. No more grudges with Santro anymore.

PS:- Some Duster parts are not exactly cheap but more somewhere near that of Hynudai's, maybe a little more. Service Labor costs though are high like all European cars.

Last edited by acroback : 22nd June 2013 at 13:18.
acroback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:07   #2564
BHPian

When guys are talking about F.E. Let me share my numbers with 85 PS

My daily commute is 30 kms approx , with average speed being 20km/hr. With 2 signals with 10 min halt on both the sides. Driving style is sedated. AC operated 100 % of the time.
FE in city conditions = 15.5 km/lt

My few commutes on Mumbai - Pune Expressway
30 kms Mumbai to Expressway - expressway - intra pune city commute 50 kms
and back
FE = 18.5 km/ltr

My observation is driving at 2k rpm to 2.5k rpm you get the best FE. The moment you accelerate on the express way , its starts declining

Just wanted to know if my FE is inline with other 85 ps owners.
niket.dhirai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 15:14   #2565

I can feel a mild thud while depressing the clutch (something like a small motor running in the clutch) in my duster 85 diesel.
is this normal or something got wrong, just 5 days after delivery.
total run 80 kms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks