Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:01   #2566
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niket.dhirai View Post
My observation is driving at 2k rpm to 2.5k rpm you get the best FE. The moment you accelerate on the express way , its starts declining

Just wanted to know if my FE is inline with other 85 ps owners.
Thats pretty much it. If you are just at 3-digits or a tad lower with about 2-2.5K on the rpm, you get the best FE. I have been seeing that right from day 1.
Old 22nd June 2013, 23:14   #2567

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats pretty much it. If you are just at 3-digits or a tad lower with about 2-2.5K on the rpm, you get the best FE. I have been seeing that right from day 1.
I would actually differ on that bit. From my experience with the vehicle (85 ps), I can say it delivers the best mileage between 1500 and 2000 rpm.

I have infact managed to clock as much as 23-24 kmpl on clean uninterrupted stretches at 60 kmph at around 1750 rpm.

Long runs with speeds in excess of 75 have always delivered 17-18 kmpl.
AG10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:27   #2568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG10 View Post
I would actually differ on that bit. From my experience with the vehicle (85 ps), I can say it delivers the best mileage between 1500 and 2000 rpm.

I have infact managed to clock as much as 23-24 kmpl on clean uninterrupted stretches at 60 kmph at around 1750 rpm.

I agree to that. But when on a highway one would be driving a bit faster than what you mention. So the instant you touch 80-90; rpm slowly crosses 2K. For that klnd of a scenario 17-19 is something you can expect to see. Of course if you are on a fifth gear at 1600 rpm with a speed of about 60; FE should go much higher.

When I mentioned "That pretty much it" I did not mean 18-19 is what a Duster can achieve at max. But thats what I think we should see for regular highway kind of usage. May be a bit higher depending on speed/AC.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:18   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
So my duster has done 10.5K kms and just returned from service center.

Mileage in Bangalore traffic has been 15+ always via tankful to tankful method. This is with no engine kills at lights and with AC on all the time.

On highways at ~90kmph speed, mileage is 20+ kmpl.
The more I drive other cars, more I appreciate Duster's suspension, it is awesome. I forget all the niggles and faults when it just glides over imperfections. Puts a smile on my face every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niket.dhirai View Post
When guys are talking about F.E. Let me share my numbers with 85 PS

My daily commute is 30 kms approx , with average speed being 20km/hr. With 2 signals with 10 min halt on both the sides. Driving style is sedated. AC operated 100 % of the time.
FE in city conditions = 15.5 km/lt

My few commutes on Mumbai - Pune Expressway
30 kms Mumbai to Expressway - expressway - intra pune city commute 50 kms
and back
FE = 18.5 km/ltr

Quote:
Thank you all for pitching in with numbers!

Total ODO here - ~300 kms.
MID was acting bit wierd in first 100~150kms.

Now -
After the last reset of trip,

FE numbers at MID
11-13 -- heavy- Gear 1,2 kind traffic (with A/c halts)
18- 19.X -- highway kind runs - Gear 4-5 - speeds corresponding to 1600-2200 rpms (with full A/c)
15~16 -- over average of 50 kms run - includes both of above 40% heavy traffic - rest highway -- (all with A/c)

So, I guess all iz well now, and our dear Duster seems to be getting set for long drives ahead!

Thanks Ampere for the help and advise.

___

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin00 View Post
I can feel a mild thud while depressing the clutch (something like a small motor running in the clutch) in my duster 85 diesel.
is this normal or something got wrong, just 5 days after delivery.
total run 80 kms
Is it like everytime you depress the clutch?
(is this continuous thud-thud-thud?)

Is this your first diesel?
could you explain it a bit more?

Congratulations on your Duster!

Cheers,

Ace.

P.S. - one thing-
when the car is standstill and if you tend to idle it with A/c on for more than couple of mintues, the MID indeed shows anything from 8kmpl ~ 12kmpl. ( read somewhere - the MID is continuously updated with last 400m of running data ).
So - I guess, that's just to be taken as a "real time FE" number.
Only look at what you see when you are driving at Gear 3-4 @ 2000 rpm or so - and that should give (approx) your Average FE.
^ Seems right?

Last edited by driverace : 23rd June 2013 at 11:30.
driverace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 18:01   #2570
BHPian

One new issue with the company fitted GPS. Its not locking my position, rest everything is working fine. Tried reseting to factory setting. Need help troubleshooting
Old 23rd June 2013, 20:15   #2571
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
So - I guess, that's just to be taken as a "real time FE" number.
Only look at what you see when you are driving at Gear 3-4 @ 2000 rpm or so - and that should give (approx) your Average FE.
^ Seems right?

Best I think just go with a constant tank-up to tank-up computation. Some like to do brim to brim. If you regularly fill up at one place, even an auto-cut-off should suffice. I have been tracking through auto-cut-off since day 1. Its pretty consistent.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 22:01   #2572
BHPian

What a funny review! Love that Irish accent. In his words, this car should be awarded 'Best VFM'..

WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 13:02   #2573

@driverace This happens in 1st and 2nd gearshift its like a mild thud or vibration.
yes this is my 1st diesel car.
Old 25th June 2013, 11:37   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG10 View Post

Quote:
I agree to that. But when on a highway one would be driving a bit faster than what you mention. So the instant you touch 80-90; rpm slowly crosses 2K. For that klnd of a scenario 17-19 is something you can expect to see. Of course if you are on a fifth gear at 1600 rpm with a speed of about 60; FE should go much higher.

When I mentioned "That pretty much it" I did not mean 18-19 is what a Duster can achieve at max. But thats what I think we should see for regular highway kind of usage. May be a bit higher depending on speed/AC.
Hi,

I also agree. My 85 gives between 16 to 18 FE in the city where I can barely touch 5th due to traffic. I'm not a fast driver but on highways can certainly use 5th a whole lot more. So keeping around 2k rpm, using 5th gear as often, and double-digit max speed are major factors in getting more mileage. On highways my 85 's given me 20+.

Cheers!
Old 25th June 2013, 20:04   #2575
BHPian

How I wish the Duster parking sensor was couple with a simple distance to impact display like the after market systems.
It is difficult to judge the distance with just the beep-sounds.

I would also love to add a "conversion mirror" to my Duster (Xylo kind). I can't see my rear seat passengers in the stock mirror.

Last edited by sumeshmani : 25th June 2013 at 20:14.
Old 25th June 2013, 21:56   #2576
P76
BHPian

Can any Duster owner who has test driven the Ford Ecosport Diesel comment on the plus/minus of the Ford Ecosport vis-a-vis the Duster in the various parameters such as Engine performance, ride and handling, etc.
Old 25th June 2013, 22:19   #2577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by P76 View Post
Can any Duster owner who has test driven the Ford Ecosport Diesel comment on the plus/minus of the Ford Ecosport vis-a-vis the Duster in the various parameters such as Engine performance, ride and handling, etc.
I have not drive the Ecosport. But I have driven the Fiesta. So at least can venture to say this:

If you are only looking from a difference of engine perspective, I would say you should go with Ecosport. Its a more modern vehicle and a well rounded one at that. This is assuming your other requirements fit well within the package that is Ecosport.
Old 26th June 2013, 17:41   #2578
BHPian

So my Duster friends, what do you think Renault's move is going to be after Ford hit the EcoSport pricing out of the park? 50K price correction, new Duster variant? AWD version launch is brought forward at 110 RxZ price? Any Renault moles here who can divulge information?
Old 26th June 2013, 18:05   #2579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
So my Duster friends, what do you think Renault's move is going to be after Ford hit the EcoSport pricing out of the park? 50K price correction, new Duster variant? AWD version launch is brought forward at 110 RxZ price? Any Renault moles here who can divulge information?
- They need a facelift for interiors
- Price correction esp. for the 85bhp versions

There are two aspects here :
- i20 and Jazz were premium hatches. Jazz did not sell because of price, in spite of correction. I20 sold a lot because of good pricing from day one. However that argument still does not apply for Duster, because for the time it has enjoyed/commanded high pricing, there was no rival. So still a price correction would help Renault case.

- Another aspect is Duster still has a USP in terms of space. That still differentiates it against Ecosport. People who are looking for this aspect will not look at Ecosport. But they may get turned-off by quality of interiors if need for an SUV is not a strong function. (Power of cross segment shopping)

- So to that extent, an interior improvement is an important aspect.

- Gadget wise, I think they are pretty much there. Navigation, BT, Aux In, Stereo controls etc.
- To certain extent, Duster can still hold its own, but surely premium hatches I20/Swift/Polo Diesel, Polo-TSI etc would get majorly impacted.

Last edited by ampere : 26th June 2013 at 18:09.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 18:25   #2580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- To certain extent, Duster can still hold its own, but surely premium hatches I20/Swift/Polo Diesel, Polo-TSI etc would get majorly impacted.
Ampere,
With all due respect i feel that Duster finally has met its match. In the first place duster was over priced considering the poor interiors it had. Ford Ecosports seems to have ticked off a lot of boxes and looks very refreshing as well when compared to the dull lines of Duster. Ford has been in India for quite some time and they can leverage on their better reach.

Space is the only place where duster seems to better Ecosports but then it will be the case of how many would want to travel in it all the time? Majority of the buyers would be like having nucleus family setups with the occasional parents visiting or keeping this as a secondary car when you already have a family car (innova).

My 2 cents, if Duster does improve their interiors then it does stand a good chance with a 50K premium over Ecosports.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks