Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 20:51   #2776
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Guys,

Any feedback on service stations in Pune?
There is one on Nagar Road ( Wagholi ) & other one is at Shivajinagar.
First service is due.

Current odo - 1100 Kms.
2 months are getting over on 4th August.
No issues as such to address.
no niggles / no rattles.
/touchwood

I am in Goa from 31st July to 6th August (with the car).

Will most likely cross 2700 Kms (+/- 100kms) in this Road trip ( that is till 6th August )

What should I do?

Not very keen on service in Goa - as I am going there for Honeymoon ( + road trip ).

Update- Called Renault Shivajinagar - they say, it's okay to cross 2500 Kms but please don't go over 3000 Kms.

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 26th July 2013 at 20:53.
Old 27th July 2013, 13:48   #2777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
...All I was worried about was hitting a animal on the highway and getting stuck with a damaged carburetor.

Hence the design and its exactly according to your line of thought.
"Reinforcement over the fiber skid plate (sandwich them together), tightened by screws" but the end part gets attached to the chassis.
I suppose you meant "radiator" .
Yeah that plastic skid-plate is a bit of a deterrent to attempting serious off-roading and is unlikely to take any frontal impact.
There's an intercooler vertically mounted behind that plastic-fibre grill and skid-plate which is bound to take the first impact (and probably get totaled).
However, the 4x2 Duster is expected to be restricted to maximum of pot-holed dirt tracks (which by the way abound aplenty in Namma Bengaluru in the name of roads- some portions actually resemble bomb-craters of enormous dimensions). And for such conditions, I would imagine that the metal engine guard that is already in place would suffice to protect under-body scrapes.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 27th July 2013 at 13:57.
Old 27th July 2013, 14:17   #2778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post

However, the 4x2 Duster is expected to be restricted to maximum of pot-holed dirt tracks (which by the way abound aplenty in Namma Bengaluru in the name of roads- some portions actually resemble bomb-craters of enormous dimensions). And for such conditions, I would imagine that the metal engine guard that is already in place would suffice to protect under-body scrapes.
Our friend Himadrimondal has good rough terrains to tackle mostly isolated routes every couple months. Has shared some good videos. Scrapping the bottom is not an issue because of GC. He is working on a practical design for skid plate to save from frontal impact and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Old 27th July 2013, 14:48   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Our friend Himadrimondal has good rough terrains to tackle mostly isolated routes every couple months. Has shared some good videos. Scrapping the bottom is not an issue because of GC. He is working on a practical design for skid plate to save from frontal impact and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Yep, I already have seen his impressive Sikkim route videos. He shared some of those dirt roads with the Army's 4x4 Stallion trucks.

Incidentally I have a Sep '12 110 Duster and have had adequate prior 4x4 experience in the Gypsy during my service in the IAF.

The 4x2 variant has the DNA of its more capable 4x4 brother, however, it still remains a 4x2. And that is an important fact. Push it too far (check out Woodcrawlers' pics of his Duster in the slush) and it will get stuck, notwithstanding its front-wheel drive or good power-to-weight ratio.

Scraping the bottom is very much an issue in off-roading - hence the high GC as well as the metal engine guard that Renault has already provided on the Duster.

As I had already pointed out, portions of the metal skid-plate that Himadri plans to fabricate will protect the intercooler, that is perhaps, the most vulnerable part in the event of a frontal impact.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 27th July 2013 at 14:50.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 23:18   #2780
BHPian

You are right @RigidRotor. The current variants are not made for off roading. For that matter no 4x2 is made for it. However the GC and light weight has its advantages for Duster as it was designed as a low cost off roader. India is a different story.

As you say the DNA doesn't change. I too put my money with that faith
The lower bumper seems to be the most vulnerable spot. Bull bars won't save it.

Nice to know you had a good time with the 4x4 Gypsies. I learnt 4 wheel driving on the gleaming Army Jeeps, the 3 gear 4x4s. These gas guzzlers are on a different tune altogether.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 12:24   #2781

Where I can get those accessories?
Old 28th July 2013, 18:35   #2782

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Integration with the Medianav system is not possible according to the showrooms. Don't know if there is any aftermarket possibility but don't want to take risk of voided warranty that might happen.

A good alternative I saw is a video reverse cam fitted on the IRVM - cost was 8k
I have installed Mapmyindia ZX250 which has the option to integrate reverse camera. Its been 5 months since installation and its trouble-free so far.
Old 28th July 2013, 19:50   #2783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nariyani View Post

I have installed Mapmyindia ZX250 which has the option to integrate reverse camera. Its been 5 months since installation and its trouble-free so far.
Does it integrate with the steering controls?
Did they have to snipe the wires to install or plug n play?
Old 29th July 2013, 10:00   #2784

Guys! Did 2 after-market additions in my Duster RXL 110 PS.
1. Installed Phillips DRL- Cost 5200/-
2. Installed Ghost Lights (renault logo) for front doors- Cost 900/-

The ghost lights are bright enuff post evenings. However, during day its barely visible.
Pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-1resized.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20130729_090849_resized.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20130726_205747_resized.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20130729_090921_resized.jpg  

nariyani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 11:01   #2785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
I suppose you meant "radiator" .
Yeah that plastic skid-plate is a bit of a deterrent to attempting serious off-roading and is unlikely to take any frontal impact.
There's an intercooler vertically mounted behind that plastic-fibre grill and skid-plate which is bound to take the first impact (and probably get totaled).
My mistake Rigid Rotor, I actually meant the Radiator and the intercooler.
Thanks for correcting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Thanks HillMan for the inputs.
Here's my design, still a bit of tweaking is required, a couple of hours of work left on it.
The polish on the steel plate is fantastic though can't be seen here due to the angle of fit.
Regarding the sturdiness, I am sure it will serve my purpose. Weight of the guard is 7kgs.
Renault Duster : Official Review-duster-guard.jpg

Quote:
The ghost lights are bright enuff post evenings. However, during day its barely visible.
These lights are jaw droppers, where on earth did you get them.
Need them right away, Please.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 29th July 2013 at 11:12.
himadrimondal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 11:19   #2786

Quote:
These lights are jaw droppers, where on earth did you get them.
Need them right away, Please.
You can get these in any good accessory shop. These are called Ghost Lights. I got it from Gurgaon Sect 14 Market. All big accessory shops have these. Maruti Suzuki and Mahindra logos are most common. Now that Duster is selling like hot cakes, they have introduced the Renault logo as well.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th July 2013 at 12:51. Reason: fixing the broken quote. Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 13:11   #2787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal;

Here's my design, still a bit of tweaking is required, a couple of hours of work left on it.
The polish on the steel plate is fantastic though can't be seen here due to the angle of fit.
Regarding the sturdiness, I am sure it will serve my purpose. Weight of the guard is 7kgs.
Great work. You look to be a man with a lot of interest in Automobile related jobs. I am able to asses the amount of design and tweaking hours it would have extracted from you. Iam thoroughly impressed. All the best. By the way what is the sheet thickness? Any reinforcements done in the rear side to manage impact (like welded tubes in the rear of the plate)? I hope you should be able to bring it to the market soon. I might help many.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 14:35   #2788
BHPian

Quote:
Your concept to production design has come out very good. Gives a mean look.

Quote:

@Nariyani, the mods look good. Ghost lights are well focused will save you some day from stepping into a puddle.

I really like your DRL setup. Very bright and nice. Might get one after first service. Is it wired to the battery directly and comes on when the engine turns On? Wouldn't want it to be On in ACC mode or while the engine is cranking.

Your DRLs with Himadri's skid plates give a meaner look.
Renault Duster : Official Review-duster-guard.jpg
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 20:17   #2789
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Installed Ghost Lights (Renault logo) for front doors- Cost 900/-
I normally do not drool over accessories but these are stellar. Please tell if these are a DIY fix or some drilling/pasting is required to be done. Where do they power them from?
Old 29th July 2013, 23:49   #2790
BHPian

Quote:
Hi nariyani,
Congratulations on the installations.

I'll add on to the queue of members with queries .
Could you please post details of the DRL and Ghost light installation. I mean,
more info on how was the wiring done, how were the lights secured in place.

Some closeup photos would help. Both of the DRL and the ghost light. I am
curios to see how are the ghost lights housed under the doors.

Can the ghost lights be fitted to the rear doors as well?
I am interested in the ghost lights in the form of puddle lamps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks