Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 21:04   #2806
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
So my Duster had a minor frontal impact with a Traveller who turned amidst dark night without any indicator. My car was fully functional, no problem whatsoever. Some damage to right Headlight assembly, right fender and front bonnet.

right fender - replaced.
Bonnet - some repair.
Left door - some minor 2 wheeler rage scratch from same week.
left Headlight assembly - replaced.
Diesel filter - Replaced.(which was fine)
rad grill - Replaced.(which looked fine to me)

How much all this cost? 57 Thousand, yes 57 big thousands for a impact, which was a low intensity one.

Now here is the shocker, the Rad Grill is the front chrome plastic component. The one which holds the front Renault logo. Surprise is that, that light as a feather thing costs ~16 thousand. I am mad, very mad.

It is a plastic piece with just some chrome sprayed on it. How on earth can such a small piece cost 16 thousand? I am beyond words.
By experience the Insurance companies are overcharged always.

From the replacement list it looks like a good damage out there.
Fender, Bonnet, Headlights, Grill (guess they replaced along with Logo)

For the benefit of Duster owners and aspirants, can you share a copy of the invoice. Or list out the various price and charges.

Hope insurance covered it all and you vehicle is back in showroom condition.
Old 2nd August 2013, 13:58   #2807
BHPian

Quote:

Now here is the shocker, the Rad Grill is the front chrome plastic component. The one which holds the front Renault logo. Surprise is that, that light as a feather thing costs ~16 thousand. I am mad, very mad.

It is a plastic piece with just some chrome sprayed on it. How on earth can such a small piece cost 16 thousand? I am beyond words.

I have complained to Renault of this daylight robbery.........
The need of the hour is Zero Depreciation Insurance

Jokes apart, Iam not shocked. some of the components are imported and hence will suffer tax and duties.My guess is that this chrome grill might come under that category. Chrome finishing plastic in India might be cheap, but if the same was done in Europe, it is bound to be far more expensive. I am no chemical expert but pollution levels in the process of chrome finishing is very high, and a huge chunk of the cost involved is to ensure that workers and environment is not affected.(Just a theory- The same plastic might be made from a local manufacturing tiny sector unit in chennai-who knows?)
But I do know this for a fact. The Duster remote key assembly is definitely imported and it costs Rs.7000+tax+ 7 days time to replace. So please be careful.
This might sound OT but, the gear knob of our humble logan is imported and costs a mere Rs.3800 and is always out of stock.
Cheers
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:44   #2808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
The need of the hour is Zero Depreciation Insurance

Jokes apart, Iam not shocked. some of the components are imported and hence will suffer tax and duties.My guess is that this chrome grill might come under that category. Chrome finishing plastic in India might be cheap, but if the same was done in Europe, it is bound to be far more expensive. I am no chemical expert but pollution levels in the process of chrome finishing is very high, and a huge chunk of the cost involved is to ensure that workers and environment is not affected.(Just a theory- The same plastic might be made from a local manufacturing tiny sector unit in chennai-who knows?)
But I do know this for a fact. The Duster remote key assembly is definitely imported and it costs Rs.7000+tax+ 7 days time to replace. So please be careful.
This might sound OT but, the gear knob of our humble logan is imported and costs a mere Rs.3800 and is always out of stock.
Cheers
Oh buoy! Looks like we can beat BMW and MERC owners on spending service cost after 3 / 4 years of running DUSTER?

SRAMESHDELHI
Old 2nd August 2013, 16:00   #2809
BANNED

Comparing the Costs of Spare parts :

Logan Power Windows Motor for each Window costs Rs. 5,500/- whereas same for Verito costs a fraction.
Old 2nd August 2013, 16:30   #2810
BHPian

Quote:
Question: Do you think these charges are fine? I think they are way too much for comfort. What I as a consumer can do?

Any help or suggestions shall be appreciated.
First, commiserations on your accident.

I just had one a week or so back, which resulted in a badly dented right front panel and a small dent on the left (pics can be found earlier on in the thread).

For this work, I was quoted around 9K by a local garage and 14-15K by Renault service station, with full front right panel replacement. I decided to opt for insurance claim.

I picked up the car yesterday along with the bill which was for 16K. The panel that was replaced cost just 5K (might be expensive by Maruti standards)! The service station charged the insurance company 9.5K for labour and then taxes! The labour was just for changing the panel, and repairing a small tennis-ball side dent on the left.

I'm sure if you ask for an estimate breakup, of the 56K you've been quoted, more than half might be for labour! Now, I know that the insurance guys are bearing this inflated labour costs not us, but I still think that its practices like this which result in inflated premiums for us customers.

On your query, if these parts - panels, bumpers etc. were sold by Renault directly to customers, then we have more options ot do it cheaply at trust local garages. But I'm 100% positive, Renault will not sell you even a nut or bolt directly - it will only be sold to the service station. Because even Renault knows that its inflated labour charges which keeps these service stations afloat and they will not get any dealers on-board if they dont allow this practice to continue!

Short answer - sorry but you are out of luck on this! :(
Old 2nd August 2013, 18:31   #2811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
On your query, if these parts - panels, bumpers etc. were sold by Renault directly to customers, then we have more options ot do it cheaply at trust local garages. But I'm 100% positive, Renault will not sell you even a nut or bolt directly - it will only be sold to the service station. Because even Renault knows that its inflated labour charges which keeps these service stations afloat and they will not get any dealers on-board if they dont allow this practice to continue!

Short answer - sorry but you are out of luck on this! :(
This also help the manufacturer maintain monopoly on genuine spares. It is good and bad. Good because you are covered under warranty and can trust the Renault trained engineers have done their job well (we can't see whats happening on the floor anyway).

Bad because they control the costs. The roadside mechanic can solve many issues with their ingenuity which will not be allowed.

An example, on my Matiz I had cracked the Engine block. I had landed the car on a rock. A triangular piece had broken and was leaking oil. The service centers said I need to change the block, estimated around 35K without insurance. Finally I took it to my local guy who used to repair our Premier Padmini. He took the piece someplace to check the alloy. Next I know the engine was transported to a workshop to wield the piece back with some alterations to distribute the weight of fittings around that area. Total cost was less than 3K. I used the car for the next 3years before selling it.
Old 2nd August 2013, 20:39   #2812
BHPian

I had to pay 16 thousand out of ~58 thousand Bill.
I feel sorry for insurance company and my next premium.

This is so wrong. Next time I am going to drive with a noisy horn and scare the cow manure out of drivers, who drive with their lights off at 1:00 AM in the morning.

Now, coming to issue of spongy brakes at less than 50 kmph.
Are you people too facing it?
I suspect, service center is taking me for a ride by saying - "Saar, this is absolutely normal on such big heavy vehicles". Is this true?

Last edited by acroback : 2nd August 2013 at 20:41.
Old 2nd August 2013, 20:51   #2813
BHPian

Quote:
I suspect, service center is taking me for a ride by saying - "Saar, this is absolutely normal on such big heavy vehicles". Is this true?
Not true, bleed your brakes to remove air.
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:26   #2814
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am. At times I have had my heart in my mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Not true, bleed your brakes to remove air.
I plan to get this done during the first service.
Will they charge me for this, if yes, how much did it cost you Himadri?
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:55   #2815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I plan to get this done during the first service.
I'll be surprised if they charge. It's a one time process and usually done at the time of filling up break fluids first time during break system install/service. Air seeps into the pipes. Sometimes few bubbles remain which need to bleed later.

Just like the doctor pushes the liquid thru injection needle.

Last edited by HillMan : 2nd August 2013 at 22:57.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:08   #2816
BHPian

I have been having this problem quite often, i drive in low speed at 2 nd gear and then the vehicle vibrates very badly and the heart beat lights glow up and then consistently keeps coming on and off during the drive with the vehicle being very unstable. The solution is to turn off the vehicle and then start after 10-15 seconds and everything is fine.
Any idea if this is the normal behavior.
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:32   #2817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
I have been having this problem quite often, i drive in low speed at 2 nd gear and then the vehicle vibrates very badly and the heart beat lights glow up and then consistently keeps coming on and off during the drive with the vehicle being very unstable. The solution is to turn off the vehicle and then start after 10-15 seconds and everything is fine.
Any idea if this is the normal behavior.
Definitely not. Needs service center checkup immediately
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:07   #2818
BHPian

Quote:
Luckly I did not have to experience this on my Duster.
This is as per the long association I had with the Tata sumo and Safaris. You can do this by yourself or ask a good mech. Going to the service station may not be necessary.
Old 3rd August 2013, 18:50   #2819

Quote:
Hi nariyani,
Can the ghost lights be switched off?
All of us are waiting more details photos of the fixture and if available, photos of the installation process, for both the DRLs and Ghost lights.
Quote:
Hi nariyani,
Congratulations on the installations.

I'll add on to the queue of members with queries .
Could you please post details of the DRL and Ghost light installation. I mean,
more info on how was the wiring done, how were the lights secured in place.

Some closeup photos would help. Both of the DRL and the ghost light. I am
curios to see how are the ghost lights housed under the doors.

Can the ghost lights be fitted to the rear doors as well?
I am interested in the ghost lights in the form of puddle lamps.
OK, Here are the few pictures of Ghost Light. I hope this will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-20130802_120456.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20130802_120518.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20130802_120549.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20130803_112446.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20130803_112412.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20130803_112456.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20130803_113306.jpg  

nariyani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 19:02   #2820
BHPian

How come these guys have recalled Sunny/Scala for this exact same problem with the brakes and still nothing for the Duster?? Highly idiotic !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks