Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 13:08   #4171
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

I also wish to update my headlight assembly and front grill once the facelift is launched.I think both will be easily swappable.Anyone else with me?
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-daciadusterfacelift202.jpg  

Last edited by anilntny : 13th July 2014 at 13:16.
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 13:16   #4172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
I also wish to update my headlight assembly and front grill once the facelift is launched.I think both will be easily swappable.Any inputs regarding the same ?
No Idea. I am satisfied with stock double barrels. Dont want to change. Claddings were again way too expensive to get them. So I have left it at that.
Old 13th July 2014, 13:19   #4173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
No Idea. I am satisfied with stock double barrels. Dont want to change. Claddings were again way too expensive to get them. So I have left it at that.
I had them installed before I took delivery of my 85 ps RXL (p) ,for 45000 Rs . I think cladding also adds some protection to the wheel arches .
Old 13th July 2014, 13:26   #4174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All cosmetic changes. And you pay hugely for it.
Available in Petrol only ?
Old 13th July 2014, 15:00   #4175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
its a diesel.RxZ and RxE variants.

Is it available in petrol?
Old 13th July 2014, 15:01   #4176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Only diesel 85PS RXE model. Adventure is based on that. Last month it was based on RxL 110PS model.
Old 13th July 2014, 16:38   #4177
BHPian

Has anyone faced a difference of around 10-15 Km in the Media Nav display than the actual road distance. Though I had recently updated my map the destinations more or less has a difference of 10-15 Km where the Map displays lesser Km. This was the case even before updating.

Last edited by deepeshh : 13th July 2014 at 16:39. Reason: omission of word
Old 13th July 2014, 17:08   #4178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Adventure is based on that. Last month it was based on RxL 110PS model.
A monthly special or what ?
Old 13th July 2014, 18:29   #4179
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepeshh View Post
Has anyone faced a difference of around 10-15 Km in the Media Nav display than the actual road distance.
My XUV 500's in-dash MapMyIndia navigator always shows ~5 km more than XUV 500's trip meter during my Chennai - Bangalore trips. I consider MapMyIndia navigator's figures more accurate than XUV 500's.

(1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 18:58   #4180
BHPian

The distance on the odometer will be more accurate. The road distance on navigation maps are based on calculations of plain lines. The terrain is not known to the maps in most cases. Also the turns are not accurate always, I mean the size of curves.

Last edited by HillMan : 13th July 2014 at 19:00.
Old 13th July 2014, 20:09   #4181
BHPian

I just completed a 1200 Km drive in my recently acquired 85ps Duster which has done an overall mileage of 4K. Having owned and driven a Ford icon 1.6 (P), Indica DLS, Honda City IDSI, Optra Magnum and a Vento Diesel, here are my view on the 85ps Duster.

The 85ps is definitely not under powered as rightly mentioned my GTO in his official review. My driving equation was 60:40 with town being the latter and also including B2B traffic. I felt equally comfortable with the Duster 85ps both in city and HW. Well the 85ps will definitely not please the enthusiasts who drive above 100-120 Km/hr range. I was able to hold speeds at 80-90 KM/hr between 2000-2300 rpm and beyond that the engine definitely gets more vocal and starts to show strain. I was not able to take her past 95Km/hr as the roads conditions did not allow me to. However I found these speeds more than adequate in the narrow congested single lane highways of Kerala and also with the numerous speed cameras all along eagerly waiting to bill you, I thought this was the precise setting for me. In B2B traffic you will definitely feel the strain of the harder clutch after a given period of time when compared to a sedan. I was able to maneuver the vehicle like any other sedan I had driven even in the crazy traffic of Kochi where driving etiquette is never heard of. I was not able to make out any wind noise as many team members had complained. What really impressed me is the way in which the Duster handled the monsoon tarnished horrible roads of Kerala. Many a times while cruising at 80-90kmph speeds I suddenly encountered deep pot holes and gutters which were negotiated very well by the car. On roads where the top layer of the tarmac was completely worn-out due to the rains the Duster glided over them without giving any signs of these road undulations to the inside occupants even though I crashed into them at high speeds. These same conditions were easily felt inside in my Optra magnum and to an extend in the Vento as well. The down side is you tend to get used to driving the vehicle through rough roads at a higher speed where normally other sedan drivers slows down and this habit could take its toll on the vehicle and rattling noises could develop as the door padding and rubber beedings are very minimal as pointed out by many forum members. I have already started to notice a rattling sound from my right side and the horn pad on the steering.

A lot has been criticized in this forum and by other auto magazines regarding the inside ergonomics and primarily on the ORVM adjustment nob placement and the audio controls. Well I feel the audio control placement is the best and much more user friendly than the conventional steering mounted controls where you need to search for the buttons while the rotating the steering wheel and also need to make a glance at the buttons to identify them in the first case (which I normally have to do in my Vento). But this system in the Duster allows you to freely use them at will and you really will start loving it once you get used to it. The ORVM control is also not an issue once you get used to it and you seldom use it. Even the limited usage will mostly be while the vehicle is static and this does not make any difference in its positioning.

The Media Nav does recognize the phone’s contact list and it works like a breeze. BT connectivity is also fine and the phone gets connected immediately as soon as you are in the range. At times you need to speak a bit louder for being audible to the other party but the overall experience is good. I found the Media Nav displaying at least 10-15Km lesser than the actual road distance and this in spite of me updating the map to the latest one.

The Mid was showing an average mileage of 18.2Km/ltr for the entire trip which was a mix of city, B2B and highway driving.

I somehow did not like the Wiper setting especially for the single swipe. The issue is as you give it a short dab, small amount of water is sprayed and this makes the windshield more dirty when its dusty. I couldn't operate the wiper for a single swipe in a complete dry condition.

The stock headlamp bulbs were inadequate as I found the throw was very minimal. Need to upgrade the bulbs. The stock fog lamps are again average.

Overall I am very satisfied with my decision to go with the 85ps as it serves my style of driving. The road presence that you enjoy with this car is definitely notches above from a sedan owner.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th July 2014 at 12:14. Reason: Adding spacing for better readability
deepeshh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 20:27   #4182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
The road distance on navigation maps are based on calculations of plain lines. The terrain is not known to the maps in most cases. Also the turns are not accurate always, I mean the size of curves.
Not necessarily. Accuracy of the navigation, the route & the data/details provided by the navigation unit will depend on the accuracy of the maps loaded into the device.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th July 2014 at 22:14.
Old 13th July 2014, 21:43   #4183
Team-BHP Support

The distance/trail logged by the GPS device has nothing to do with maps. Even if there is no maps data, GPS will still log the trail as long as its locked to the satellite. Even altitude is obtained by the GPS stats and not from maps.

EDIT: To add: There are topographic maps which are also available. (See Garmin Topographic Maps for example). They contain altitude information in them and are used for hiking. But there again they are used for personal navigation to guide the person on the hike (terrain, altitude and route), unlike the automobile, which is a 2-D map. But here again the data logging is independent to navigation. Logging still comes from GPS satellite.

Last edited by ampere : 13th July 2014 at 21:55.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 22:17   #4184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepeshh View Post
The 85ps is definitely not under powered as rightly mentioned my GTO in his official review. My driving equation was 60:40 with town being the latter and also including B2B traffic. I felt equally comfortable with the Duster 85ps both in city and HW. Well the 85ps will definitely not please the enthusiasts who drive above 100-120 Km/hr range. I was able to hold speeds at 80-90 KM/hr between 2000-2300 rpm and beyond that the engine definitely gets more vocal and starts to show strain.
Aptly summarised. This is what the car is meant for; 80-100 on the highways. The engine runs sweet and returns you with the best possible FE. Also overall even on 4-lanes I have seen that a distance of 400km, one can easily maintain an average of 75 driving at 90-100 continuously rather than driving at higher speeds and taking breaks. A long distance cruise is all about consistency and efficiency and not all speed.

Quote:
On roads where the top layer of the tarmac was completely worn-out due to the rains the Duster glided over them without giving any signs of these road undulations to the inside occupants even though I crashed into them at high speeds.
Thats what they call the magic carpet!

Quote:
A lot has been criticized in this forum and by other auto magazines regarding the inside ergonomics and primarily on the ORVM adjustment nob placement and the audio controls. Well I feel the audio control placement is the best and much more user friendly than the conventional steering mounted controls where you need to search for the buttons while the rotating the steering wheel and also need to make a glance at the buttons to identify them in the first case (which I normally have to do in my Vento). But this system in the Duster allows you to freely use them at will and you really will start loving it once you get used to it. The ORVM control is also not an issue once you get used to it and you seldom use it. Even the limited usage will mostly be while the vehicle is static and this does not make any difference in its positioning.
+1. Even I feel very very comfortable with the audio control. Once you get used to it, you can blindly operate it. Works very well. The car easily paired with Android both on Jelly Bean and Kit Kat versions. It can access the phone book and call lists.Meanwhile I hope you updated the media controller firmware. Its a patch that solves the infamous echo problem while speaking.

Quote:
The MediaNav does recognize the phone’s contact list and it works like a breeze. BT connectivity is also fine and the phone gets connected immediately as soon as you are in the range. At times you need to speak a bit louder for being audible to the other party but the overall experience is good. I found the Media Nav displaying at least 10-15Km lesser than the actual road distance and this in spite of me updating the map to the latest one.
BT is quite decent. both for streaming Audio/Video content as well as when in the phone mode. I have tried both.

Quote:
The Mid was showing an average mileage of 18.2Km/ltr for the entire trip which was a mix of city, B2B and highway driving.
I am nearing 40k. My overall FE is about 17.5

Quote:
I somehow did not like the Wiper setting especially for the single swipe. The issue is as you give it a short dab, small amount of water is sprayed and this makes the windshield more dirty when its dusty. I couldn't operate the wiper for a single swipe in a complete dry condition.
True. But I am holding on.

Quote:
The stock headlamp bulbs were inadequate as I found the throw was very minimal. Need to upgrade the bulbs. The stock fog lamps are again average.
I have not found this as a glaring problem. May be because I dont do much of night drives. The double barrel is definitely more powerful than my previous ride. So that way, I am satisfied!
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 22:33   #4185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats what they call the magic carpet!
Driven close to 1500km in Rajasthan. Both 109 and 85. Ride was magical given those sudden sharp deeps here and there on those highways.

Driven through heavy bumper to bumper traffic in towns too.
Frankly, didn't feel any big issues with turbo lag from 109.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks