Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2012, 21:19   #181
BHPian

Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
It's just a bit of bad luck. Chill!
Get the car to a reputed alignment shop and things should be just fine. As long as the car goes straight when steering is held straight, you are ok. Then you can test the car on perfectly flat roads.
It's a small problem which is not necessarily Cruze's problem. In most probabilities it is a one off. Might have been caused by dealer's carelessness. So don't worry so much about the car. Few problems in the beginning might be annoying but the car will serve you well for years to come. Chill and enjoy the beast!!
Finally my car drives straight I took the car to my friendly tyre alignment guy (for members in Delhi NCR - his name is Prakash and he has his small workshop at the petrol pump on Lodhi Road next to Aman) who fiddled with the alignment settings a few times, swapped the front tyres and now the car drives like a charm. Kudos to Prakash for identifying the cause of the left pull and steering tilt and rectifying it well. Will drive it now for a few days and should be able to give a better feedback.

On a separate note I got fabric seat covers on my City - bucket fitted and the shopkeeper who is very well known to my cousin recommended against Caska and Mega Audio as they are not good quality Chinese products and have very disappointing performance. I think I trust him as he could have aisle convinced me to buy either system from him at a goodmprice but suggested against it.

Apologies for my snappy post last night but the car issues was giving me sleepless nights I feel much relaxed now and am beg ing to enjoy the drive. Thanks for all the support rangakishen and other members.
Old 1st October 2012, 10:21   #182
BHPian

@kch82, good to hear that your car is finally driving straight. So it was just an alignment issue after all? Sounds a bit strange, especially since you said all the other cars you test drove too were pulling to the left. This would suggest that all those cars have an alignment issue. Anyway, I hope this is the last of you problems and that you enjoy miles and miles of trouble free Cruzing.

Looking forward to your ownership thread.
Old 1st October 2012, 15:57   #183
BHPian

At the very outset, I would like to thank all Team BHPians and their patience in answering my never ending queries and clarifying all doubts which contributed to a great extent in my decision to buy the Cruze AT.

I call him Jack.

As we are aware of the detailed reviews present on the Cruze 2012 on this forum, therefore I would like to avoid repeating every detail and my ownership report will try and focus on the key strengths and short comings of this car. I do not hold the sound technical knowledge as most of the members on this forum but I do have an eye for detail therefore my review will be more generic in nature and yet point to the aspects that matter the most to a driver.

Strengths:

1. Solid exterior- Contrary to many reviews and reports in magazines and the internet, I still feel that the Cruze doors close with an equally good ‘thud’ as the Germans.

2. Strong engine- The engine displaces satisfying power in a linear manner making city driving much easier.

3. Automatic transmission – Yes it is not the DSG. But it still does the trick. The gearshifts seem smooth and the manual mode can be fun when in use. My foremost priority in a car was an AT gear box. I must admit that Jack fulfilled this to my satisfaction.

4. Cabin – I love the front seats and specially now when the driver seat can be electronically adjusted. The black interiors and leather give the car a safe and inviting feel. Some people would prefer the beige, but I am all for black.

5. Looks – Needless to say Jack is a very handsome machine. I love American muscle cars and hope to own one someday. For the moment, in my view the Cruze if the only car in India which has a shadow of the American muscle.

6. Comforts – The air conditioning seems adequate till now. Will have to see how well can it battle the Delhi summer heat. The stock music system works well and the speakers quality has been much improved from the earlier model. Besides the ORVM; sun roof; keyless entry; push button start – stop and USB connectivity make life simpler. I am yet to try the rain sensing wipers and most other but am sure it will be convenient and make me smile.

Wish list (I would not like to refer to the short comings as ‘negatives as ‘weaknesses’ as Jack is sensitive to such remarks):

1. Alignments & Balancing: I am not sure what is the issue here but in the past 10 days I have heard from atleast a dozen Cruze owners in different cities who like me have complaint of their cars pulling to the left or having constant alignment and/or balancing issues. Some complain about the Cruze vibrating at high speeds, some with the tilted steering, suspension (having it replaced) issues etc. Like I said before – I am not certain on the exact cause of such a glaring problem, but I know for sure that more than a dozen Cruze owners cannot be wrong. Chevrolet definitely needs to look into this on top priority.

2. Stock Tyres: Related to the above, Chevrolet could have definitely offered better tyres (even MRF would do better) than the JKs. I am sure most customers will not mind spending the extra 10 k or some more for a better set of wheels. I changed mine to Michelin Primacy LC, but as pointed out in my earlier posts – am very worried about the soft wall issues that damage the tyres. I would recommend a switch to Bridgestones or Yokos if available in stock size. CPC2 are not available anywhere including the Continental showroom in stock size in Delhi NCR.

3. Instrument cabin quality: While short listing the Cruze I had read many a reviews on the low quality of plastics used in the cabin as compares to the Skoda, VW and Renault, but I did not much believe in these reports (may be due to the excitement level of owning this baby). But now I can comment that these reports and review speak the truth. I am not saying that the quality of plastic is horrible – but it definitely lacks the class and touch of the rivals. Simple things like when you press the music systems power on/off button or use the headlights knob – you cannot but help notice the ‘hollowness’ in the plastics. It is just not solid. But then again, you can live with it.

4. Rear AC vents: The flip side of the plush black interiors is that they absorb more heat. A rear AC vent with blower will be very welcoming in the summers. Most rivals offer this and I see no reason why Chevy should refrain from doing the same.

5. Touch screen ICE: I am all for gizmos. But I want quality. Inferior Chinese products (MegaAudio & Caksa) and not worth the spend at all. Hopefully Chevy comes out with a stock replacement system which can offer navigation; rear camera and a wonderful screen. I for one am not comfortable with the aftermarket systems that will require ample wire cutting etc. and will wait for a wait for a plug and place ICE.

This should sum up my limited user report in the Cruze, having driven it only 1200 km till now. Again I have just tried to summarize the basics of this car that may help you decide whether this car is meant for you or not.

Also attached is an excel compare sheet that I received from one of the dealers. This sheet can be biased but still should give a broad idea on what this car offers.

Drive safe.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Cruze Comparo.xls (57.5 KB, 666 views)
kch82 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:00   #184

kch82, congrats on finally being able to sort the issue out. Look forward to a ownership report with pictures of your "Jack"!!

I have finally booked my Cruze AT today, now its just a matter of time I will be taking the delivery.

Any suggestions for tyre dealers for swapping the tyres to CPC or Michelins? I will take delivery from Nikhil Auto in Worli.
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:35   #185
BHPian

Hi guys,

Topgears recent review on Cruze LTZ...

http://www.topgear.com/india/chevrol...-ltz/itemid-51
Old 2nd October 2012, 20:02   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
At the very outset, I would like to thank all Team BHPians and their patience in answering my never ending queries and clarifying all doubts which contributed to a great extent in my decision to buy the Cruze AT.

Also attached is an excel compare sheet that I received from one of the dealers. This sheet can be biased but still should give a broad idea on what this car offers.

Drive safe.
Just checked that excel compare sheet you had attached and had a couple of observations/questions.

1) According to the sheet, the Cruze has heated ORVMs? I thought it didn't.

2) The Elantra has Hill Start assist control, ESP and Dual Zone AC. The sheet doesn't show this.

Also, wanted to know if the Cruze has ABS with EBD or just ABS because my demo guy told me that it does have EBD although I don't think it does.
Old 3rd October 2012, 00:05   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Just checked that excel compare sheet you had attached and had a couple of observations/questions.

1) According to the sheet, the Cruze has heated ORVMs? I thought it didn't.

2) The Elantra has Hill Start assist control, ESP and Dual Zone AC. The sheet doesn't show this.

Also, wanted to know if the Cruze has ABS with EBD or just ABS because my demo guy told me that it does have EBD although I don't think it does.

1. I think the Cruze does have heated ORVM. I remember reading it in the manual somewhere. Not sure how it works, I am yet to figure out most functions including rain sensing.

I will soon request the experts here to briefly explain me a few imp features as The manual was not much help.

2. Like I said the compare sheet would be biased to show the Cruze as a better car, which IMO it is

3. I think the Cruze just offers ABS and not EBD.

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:34   #188
BHPian

Quote:
1. I think the Cruze does have heated ORVM. I remember reading it in the manual somewhere. Not sure how it works, I am yet to figure out most functions including rain sensing.

I will soon request the experts here to briefly explain me a few imp features as The manual was not much help.

2. Like I said the compare sheet would be biased to show the Cruze as a better car, which IMO it is

3. I think the Cruze just offers ABS and not EBD.

Hope this helps.
Just did some checking and the Cruze does have heated ORVM. As for EBD, I didn't think the Cruze offered that. TBH, it is a bit disappointing as much cheaper cars offer EBD. IMO, the Safety & Driver Aid features in the Cruze really could be better. Chevy should have thought of offering EBD, ESP and more air bags in the top end LTZ trim, especially when they have upped the power in the new model.

Mod Note: Please use full phrases rather than acronys, e.g. "to be honest" instead of TBH. Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:19   #189
BHPian

I was wondering whether these are standard 'happenings' with the Cruze:

1. On switching on the headlights of the car- the blue back light of the music system display screen, back lighting of the speedometer and even the tiny lights behind the AC controls immediately dim to half the original brightness ? On switching off the headlights the original brightness returns.

2. The hood of the car feels very hot for comfort on touch even after a small drive of 5 Kms and takes a long time to cool down. Is it a standard with all diesel cars?

Also I feel the car engine is making a bit more noise on acceleration or maybe that is again a given thing of Diesel engines.

Thanks.
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:53   #190
BHPian

The dimming of the lights is a feature which should be there in all cars. Basically when you switch on the lights it is a signal to the system that it is dark outside and to reduce the glare all the lights are dimmed. It is a feature put there by purpose.
drchernish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:31   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

The brightness is also adjustable via the dial on the right handside of the steering and next to the headlight levelling dial.

It's meant for long distance night drives where there is very little external lighting (i.e. no street lights etc.) and bright dashboard lights actually irritate the driver, and rob him/her of a part of his/her 'night 'vision'.
Old 3rd October 2012, 23:51   #192
BHPian

Thanks drchernish and itwasntme. I am aware of the brightness adjustment settings. Any thoughts on the hood getting too hot and the sound of the engine on acceleration. I am still trying to figure out how to get the rain sensing wipers and OVRm to get heated. Will be needing it soon in winters.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:31   #193

Quote:
Thanks drchernish and itwasntme. I am aware of the brightness adjustment settings. Any thoughts on the hood getting too hot and the sound of the engine on acceleration. I am still trying to figure out how to get the rain sensing wipers and OVRm to get heated. Will be needing it soon in winters.
The rain sensing wipers are enabled from the wiper stalk. The heated OVRM are enabled with the defogger button on the center console. I read of these features from the e-manual downloaded from the Chevy website. The manual is quite comprehensive in explaining all the settings for the loaded-with-features Cruze. Do read up the manual for setting of features, many are set via the system settings in the screen.
Old 9th October 2012, 21:18   #194
BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering whether these are standard 'happenings' with the Cruze:

1. On switching on the headlights of the car- the blue back light of the music system display screen, back lighting of the speedometer and even the tiny lights behind the AC controls immediately dim to half the original brightness ? On switching off the headlights the original brightness returns.

2. The hood of the car feels very hot for comfort on touch even after a small drive of 5 Kms and takes a long time to cool down. Is it a standard with all diesel cars?

Also I feel the car engine is making a bit more noise on acceleration or maybe that is again a given thing of Diesel engines.

Thanks.
First of all congratulations on your new beast!
Since you've mentioned earlier that you've done only 1200 kms in your new car, I'm positive that the engine is still under it's run- in period. It is fairly common for new engines to heat up quickly because its moving parts (like the pistons moving inside the cylinders) are still getting used to working in cohesion with each other. I believe your car's engine noise and subsequent temperature and the will come down after a proper run- in as there will be less friction between the engine components once they are properly set- in. The engine Cheers and happy Cruzing!

For more info on engine run- in, here's the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html
Old 10th October 2012, 10:49   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont know the reason but, Cruze engine heats up quite a lot even after completing 30K kms

When i come back after a 25km drive, the bonnet is hot. In comparison, my previour car's bonnet used to be neutral ( not hot/nor cold)

Nothing to worry, think of it as a performance feature of Cruze
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks