Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 13:50   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Guys,

I am helping a friend decide his next car. We had shortlisted Cruze but the prices shown on the site are confusing. Can someone here please tell me whats the difference between Fam Z & NEW models as shown in attached pic. There is a difference of almost ₹ 1Lacs in ex showroom prices.

2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review-cruze.jpg
Regards,
Old 31st January 2013, 14:12   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

I am helping a friend decide his next car. We had shortlisted Cruze but the prices shown on the site are confusing. Can someone here please tell me whats the difference between Fam Z & NEW models as shown in attached pic. There is a difference of almost ₹ 1Lacs in ex showroom prices.

Attachment 1045590
Regards,
Hi Harsha,

I don't know the exact difference as I have not seen the cars in person.

But here is the comparison chart from cartrade. Also it shows that it has the new VCDi engine. Not sure about the suspension setup but it does have larger turning radius than the "New" one.

http://www.cartrade.com/compare-cars...rom=compareBar

HTH

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 31st January 2013 at 14:20.
Old 31st January 2013, 15:13   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

Attachment 1045590
Regards,
Here the new means the 150bhp car. It has a 1991cc SOHC diesel mill and a 5 speed MT gearbox.

FAM Z refers to the 163bhp car. It has a 1998cc DOHC diesel mill and a 6 speed MT gearbox.

Features are a bit more in the FAM Z version. But only a few more. You should take a test drive before deciding as the basic diff is the engine and the drive train.
Old 8th February 2013, 10:51   #274
BHPian

2014 clean turbo diesel Cruze

http://www.chevroletcruzeforum.com/i...-turbo-diesel/
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 12:53   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Great. Now an already great car is given an even better engine to push their already phenomenal sales in US of the Cruze

But, it makes me wonder why we dont get such engines simuntenously in India.

Btw, 42MPG is mindblowing FE, I think Accords, Camry's give about 28-32MPG

Looks like this variant will be a winner in the USA.
Old 8th February 2013, 13:15   #276
BHPian

You do have this engine in India in the current-gen Cruze that GTO and I reviewed. It's pretty much the same engine with minor differences for fuel and emission, and with the Overboost feature added. Also, they way they have this 'Clean Diesel' technology is apparently there's a 'Urea Injection' system which manages to cut down the exhaust significantly. The urea can be refilled every 10,000 miles. The only reason they would do this is because of the extremely strict emission controls in the US.

42 mpg (highway) works out to about 17kpl (highway)... and these are manufacturer estimated figures (even though they may be ratified by the EPA, that's still best-case). You'll probably get about 13-14kpl in the city which we get anyway (in the newer engine) despite much poorer quality fuel in India. You can't really compare a Cruze to an Accord or a Camry, can you? It's a much smaller and therefore lighter car.

What's interesting though is the styling's the same - no changes whatsoever. PICS BELOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Great. Now an already great car is given an even better engine to push their already phenomenal sales in US of the Cruze

But, it makes me wonder why we dont get such engines simuntenously in India.

Btw, 42MPG is mindblowing FE, I think Accords, Camry's give about 28-32MPG

Attached Thumbnails
2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review-cruzetop.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review-ir9zjngnl.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review-cruzeeng.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review-original.jpg  

Last edited by ghostrider : 8th February 2013 at 13:18.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 13:45   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
You do have this engine in India in the current-gen Cruze that GTO and I reviewed. It's pretty much the same engine with minor differences for fuel and emission, and with the Overboost feature added. Also, they way they have this 'Clean Diesel' technology is apparently there's a 'Urea Injection' system which manages to cut down the exhaust significantly. The urea can be refilled every 10,000 miles. The only reason they would do this is because of the extremely strict emission controls in the US.
How can it be the same diesel engine that you reviewed? The one you reviewed is 166BHP. So does it mean same engine is detuned for USA?

The article states the engine is built in Ohio. So iam still not sure if its the same engine as the one we currently have in India

Quote:
42 mpg (highway) works out to about 17kpl (highway)... and these are manufacturer estimated figures (even though they may be ratified by the EPA, that's still best-case)
Valid point on comparison with bigger sedan like Accord and Camry. I took their names because they are the cornerstone of FE in USA

Btw, is Diesel cheaper in USA? I know its other way around in Europe

Another interesting feature is the ecoboost. Never heard of that in any car in India in cars of this segment or even high-end luxury cars like BMW/Audi ( Or is it there already in India?)
Old 8th February 2013, 13:54   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Wow,, Just saw the news over the net. So finally Chevy has introduced diesel Version of Cruze in USA as well. I am sure it is going to get many a fans in USA as well with that Stonker of an Engine

Here is another link with some more details.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...-cruze-diesel/

It looks like US is getting that old 148 BHP engine (the one phased out in India) while India Cruze is already with the latest 166 BHP engine.....mind it these two engines are completely different engines.

We indians are getting the premium treatment as far as this car goes.... Great to see that Chevy!!!!!!

Last edited by anu21v : 8th February 2013 at 13:57.
Old 8th February 2013, 13:56   #279
BHPian

Quote:
How can it be the same diesel engine that you reviewed? The one you reviewed is 166BHP. So does it mean same engine is detuned for USA?

The article states the engine is built in Ohio. So iam still not sure if its the same engine as the one we currently have in India
It's the same FAM-Z engine block. There'll be minor nomenclatural and feature differences, but that's probably it. Frankly, purely from an economy of scale perspective, I'd be extremely surprised if it was a completely different engine. They'll probably detune it a little for power in order to maximize economy because diesel as seen as a frugal fuel in the US (and to some extent in Europe).

Quote:
Yes. In a lot of 'gas stations' diesel's more expensive, but you'll find the occasional gas station somewhere were they're almost the same.

Quote:
Another interesting feature is the ecoboost. Never heard of that in any car in India in cars of this segment or even high-end luxury cars like BMW/Audi ( Or is it there already in India?)
Overboost, not Ecoboost. This is why I think it's the same FAM-Z engine in a lower state of tune. They probably allow you to get all the 166 horses only for a few seconds each time. I'm guessing here, mind.
Old 8th February 2013, 13:59   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Overboost, not Ecoboost. This is why I think it's the same FAM-Z engine in a lower state of tune. They probably allow you to get all the 166 horses only for a few seconds each time. I'm guessing here, mind.
Sorry for the typo. I meant Overboost.

Btw, pressing that button wont get the horsepower up from 148bhp to 166bhp, its just a temporary torque surge for 10 seconds which enables the car to move from 35kgm torque to 38kgm, no increase in horsepower which makes me even more convinced its an all new engine.

Let's see if someone else has more concrete info
Old 11th February 2013, 14:50   #281

With the new engine my car's average over the last ~10000 kms is 11.8kmpl using normal diesel. First ~2500 kms was driven on Shell diesel. About 3000 is on highways and rest is in the city. I suppose the car is giving about ~11kmpl in the city which is still very good with the bad fuel.

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th February 2013 at 15:23. Reason: edited the unnecessary quote
Old 11th February 2013, 17:00   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Probably not, because the starting MSRP for this car is about $24,885 which according to some of the US auto press is quite expensive. Please see the following "Value Proposition" reports from TTAC regarding Cruze Diesel: if-youve-got-115-years-to-spare-the-chevrolet-cruze-diesel-makes-sense and chevrolet-cruze-diesel-wheres-the-value-proposition

Quote:
Also, they way they have this 'Clean Diesel' technology is apparently there's a 'Urea Injection' system which manages to cut down the exhaust significantly. The urea can be refilled every 10,000 miles. The only reason they would do this is because of the extremely strict emission controls in the US.
US emission norms are among the most strict norms of the world. AFAIK current US emission norms allow for 0.035 g/km emission of NOx particles only whereas Euro 6 norms that will be in force from January 1, 2014 in Europe will allow for 0.080 g/km for emission of NOx (Euro 5 is 0.180 g/km and Euro 4 is 0.250 g/km). Diesels that are able to meet these emission norms are very costly. Even VW had stated earlier that future emission norms will render small capacity diesels unvaiable as they will not make much financial sense to buyers.

Quote:

Here are the engine specs and other details: 2014-Cruze-Diesel-Specs.
  • Powertrain Type:Turbo Diesel
  • Displacement (cu in / cc):2.0L (119 / 1956)
  • Fuel delivery:direct injection
  • Horsepower (hp / kW @ rpm):148 / 110 @ 4000 (est.)
  • Torque (lb.-ft. / Nm @ rpm):258 / 350 @ 2000 (est.)
  • Recommended fuel: diesel
  • Transmission: six-speed automatic

The displacement is 1956 cc whereas the one that we get in India (Z-Family) is 1998 cc and older 150-BHP engine was 1991 cc. So I think it must be an all new engine developed specifically for USA due to being a different capacity engine as well as having to comply with US emission standards.

Quote:
Diesel is taxed at a higher rate in US than petrol. According to the TTAC article listed above, lowest prices for petrol and diesel are $3.5 per gallon and $3.8 per gallon respectively.
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 17:40   #283
BHPian

I dont feel that in USA Cruze will be launched in Diesel. been there 5 years and have seen Diesel is only for pick up trucks or big trucks. All SUV's and cars are on petrol (Gas as USA folks say). Even the current Cruze is on petrol.

The rates of Gas and diesel change daily over there and each gas station puts its own margin and sells it. Shell can be selling gas at 3.75$ whereas a gas station opposite to it Marathon will be selling for 3.70$ choice is yours where you want to go.
Old 14th February 2013, 15:22   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
I dont feel that in USA Cruze will be launched in Diesel. been there 5 years and have seen Diesel is only for pick up trucks or big trucks.
Firstly, Rishi welcome back to India. I reckon you havent read the previous posts

Cruze is already launched in Diesel Avatar in USA
Old 14th February 2013, 17:20   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, Rishi welcome back to India. I reckon you havent read the previous posts

Cruze is already launched in Diesel Avatar in USA

Thanks Avi.

here is the link from official Chevy USA site. It will be in Summer not right now.

http://www.chevrolet.com/cruze-diesel-reveal.html

Most Viewed