Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 10:07   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Evalia : Official Review

Quote:
I have had questions about safety in this forum with dismal participation, all people look at is looks, acceleration, pulling capacity... safety , anyone???
I do! I am perhaps one of the guys who would want to consider this Van as a family car. My reasons go as below:
  • I have a 8 year old mint condition zen; biut we are now 6 member family (factoring in my 1 year old son)
  • It is no longer safe to travel in the zen with a bunch full of people as it doesnt have ABS/Airbags + I dont want my son to be without seat belts/baby seat.
  • As there were no decent alternatives available till date (factoring out Xylo/Tavera and all other Taxi models); we had to buy another small car (we got a Nano) for small city commutes.
  • I only use the Nano when I am alone and dont need a boot/hatch.
  • Innova is out of my budget and having travelled in it day-in-day out; I am quite bored of its looks too. Every time I walk into a 5star property, its full on Innovas!
  • Evalia is fresh breeze of air in the market; as compared to tavera (used to have Nauseatic feeling whenever I travelled in it + low seating).
  • I dont like Xylo's brown chocolate interiors + dirty seat design fabric. It is spacios; no doubts about that though. However, it scores low on interior quality.
  • Storme was one contended but it is not yet launched + it would have side facing seats, hence ruled out.
Now any sane person with decent moolah would not mind spending 12 lakhs (assuming its onroad Mumbai price). Also, when someone can spend 12 lakhs, they can afford to keep a driver (I know it is a sweeping statement); I may or may not keep a driver, but I want my family to travel in decent comfort; which this car may provide.

All said and done, I am still not happy with how the rear looks + small windows + Missing rear wash wipe. But, at this price point, can someone tell me a decent + reliable MPV/LUV/MUV/SUV?

Lastly, comparing it with LUV err, Ertiga, does not make sense as both are in different sort of people movers. One is cramped with great interior fit and fininish where as the other being an ugly duckling with oodles of space. Pricewise, sales wise Ertiga wins hands down; comfort wise, it is Evalia for me.

OT: People bought Tempo Trax, didnt they? Not for the looks but for the bullet proof reliability that the OM612 (or whatever that engine name was) offered.

Last edited by amtak : 28th September 2012 at 10:10.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 10:38   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The base & mid variants are 1.5 lakhs cheaper ex-showroom than the Innova. That works out to about 1.7 lakhs on the road. With diesel at 52 bucks a pop, a taxi wallah is looking at 40,000 - 50,000 free kms (with the diesel bought for that price differential). At 10 bucks a km (minimum cost of hire), that's 4 - 5 lakhs in gross revenue!

Considering that the Evalia will in all probability work as reliably as the Innova, has more space, is more fuel efficient and can carry more cargo, it's going to be tough for any commercial owner to overlook this advantage.

Then, the running (fuel) costs will easily be 30% lower than an Innovas.

Just wait for this product to establish the all-too-important "street reputation". It's going to fly.
I am not too sure. Most of the corporate taxis are Innovas, ask an executive or employee to sit in a Xylo or Scorpio or Tavera and they would crib.

Evalia does look top tall and with a luggage carrier on top, will get very tricky. Factor in the small engine pulling with full load and luggage. Also the way Taxi people maintain their cars the engine will have to be truly bullet proof.

Further Innovas are more expensive to rent compared Xylos and Taveras and I am sure it has to do with quality of ride, interiors and brand. I dont see Evalia rates to be same as Innovas.

I would hate to be a passenger in Evalia in any of the rear seats where there is no option to open the windows.

Evalia will end up being positioned as a budget taxi against the Innova because people who find Innova expensive (even taxis) have cheaper options which is doing good business too.
Old 28th September 2012, 11:07   #168
Senior - BHPian

^^ @ Tazmaan, those who rent Innova's generally rent AC innovas! So, opening the window goes out of the window.
Old 28th September 2012, 13:02   #169
BHPian

Wanted to share my thoughts on the Evalia..walked in last evening to the Ichibaan Nissan Showroom, here in Mumbai.

They had on display Evalia XV, the top of the line variant. Echoing most thoughts & comments on this thread, the UUV screams Commercial Taxi, but its not a bad option over the Innova, being that its top variant is 2.0 lacs cheaper and yes, barring the rear the Evalia looks less dated and fresher than the aging Innova.

The few things i did not like about the car, is they dont have an option for Captain seats at the first row, only the bench, even if you choose to pay for it, maybe an outside modification could be done, but Nissan needs to provide this for private buyers.

The rear Ac vents are purely for the last row, the middle row (first) doesnt have it, probably they probably eliminated that due to cost cutting as well as the small size 165 tyres with boring alloys.

furthermore, i heard the sound from the double din audio, very basic quality of sound, rather flat reproduction of sound. Nissan has provided for a rear camera which is viewed in reverse on the drivers display screen, this is i reckon is for the XV variant only.

No test mule at the showroom, they expect it in the coming weeks, overall if i was in for a family MUV-UUV, i would go for the Nissan Evalia, as the engine is well proven and space inside is "roomy", as well as the 2+2 warranty. Besides id have an additional 2 lacs to upsize the Tyres and alloys and add those captain seats..IMO
Old 29th September 2012, 18:45   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops2009
I'm not a fan of the looks, but in the Autocar review they talked about practicality, I think they are absolutely right.
=======
I have had questions about safety in this forum with dismal participation, all people look at is looks, acceleration, pulling capacity... safety , anyone???
Yes....the 14" rubbers are big safety concerns for this car (or van as one may choose to call it), especially in rainy conditions..
Old 29th September 2012, 19:19   #171

Hi all ,
I had been to Evalia showroom 3 times and booked it last, the second row AC in Mumbai is a must , so I went to a famous AC vendor, he told that at Rs.21000/- he can arrange a 2nd row split unit, it looks the same as in top end Qualis. That encouraged me to go with the Evalia, have booked XL model, and pearl white colour.

Lets see, the dealer, in Andheri Mumbai has told, that delivery in October end is assured.

Just wondering if Chevy Enjoy is a good alternative or stick to Nissan (japan) v/s chevy (usa)
Old 1st October 2012, 18:48   #172
BHPian

Xylo was ugly but evalia just bettered it. The front and rear designs are totally disconnected.
The tail lamp cluster resembles the scorpio cluster a lot.
I have seen a lot of tempo traveller's modified with scorpio tail lamps, Evalias tail lamp cluster somehow reminds me of a tempo traveller than that of a scorpio

Looks are a deal breaker IMO. The rear tail lamp cluster resembles the scorpio cluster a lot.
Check out this comparo against the modified Tempo Traveller tail lamp cluster.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Evalia : Official Review-evalia_scorpio.jpg  

Old 5th October 2012, 14:33   #173
BHPian

Re: Interior (Rear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
MIDDLE ROW

1. Is it just me or the 3rd row doesn't have AC vents on th LH Side?

2. Also, what happens if I lift up the 3rd row seats to accomodate some luggage? Do I end up blocking the sole AC vent from throwing air?

In this condition, how will the 2nd row passengers get cold air from rear vents?

Last edited by karpusv : 5th October 2012 at 14:35.
Old 5th October 2012, 17:22   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
1. Is it just me or the 3rd row doesn't have AC vents on th LH Side?
Yes. The 3rd row vent is only on the right side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
2. Also, what happens if I lift up the 3rd row seats to accomodate some luggage? Do I end up blocking the sole AC vent from throwing air?
Good point! From what i can tell, yes - the vents will be obstructed by the folded up seat.

cya
R
Old 7th October 2012, 00:38   #175
BHPian

Re: Interior (Front)

Quote:
We were told that the system has one compressor and 2 condensers.
Probably, the system has 2 evaporators, i.e., units inside the cabin which cool the air. One compressor will have only one condenser (which is the radiator-like unit right in front in the engine bay, where the compressed gaseous refrigerant from the compressor is cooled by ambient air and converted into liquid refrigerant).

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th October 2012 at 13:54. Reason: Thanks - corrected it in my original post :)
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 12:48   #176
BHPian

Has Anybody seen today's TOI . looks like NISSAN is trying to Use shock Advertisement just like V W did with those talking news papers to promote evalia . Pity they failed miserably in same .

http://www.firstpost.com/india/nissa...ad-487088.html
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 09:38   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
Xylo was ugly but evalia just bettered it.
Looks are strictly personal. Evalia is miles ahead of Xylo in looks IMO. I do not think Innova looks good in any way. It is pretty boxy from sides and rear. What I am trying to say is that looks will not be a deal breaker in this segment. No one buys an MUV for its looks. Looks like there is a lot of negativity towards Nissan. And most of the negativity is written without seeing/travelling in the car.

I sincerely hope this one does well in the market. This is a nice choice for someone who wants a decent MUV at a decent price. Come on guys, give Nissan a chance.
Old 12th October 2012, 09:47   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Evalia gets 160 units of bookings .

Quote:
With the recent release of Nissan sales of September 2012, the sales have gone up by a whopping 64.24%. The MPV has managed to get 160 bookings across the country .
http://www.carkhabri.com/carnews/nis...ts-of-bookings
Old 14th October 2012, 22:22   #179
BHPian

I think the Evalia is meant to have passengers occupy the third row of seating before un-folding the second row - why else would they provide AC vents in the third row but not the second row? It does, of course, take some getting used to because one would have to walk to the seat rather than simply 'hop' in.

BTW, the sliding doors are a great idea in a city where people don't care whether the guy in the next car can get in when parked... as long as you don't try to use the van for StarBucks staff or goods transport.
Old 17th October 2012, 12:28   #180
BHPian

Excellent review Rehaan! Rated 5*.
I was considering the Evalia seriously and went for a TD last Saturday. Found it to be a great package overall with excellent drivability in city (didnt test on the highway). The gear box felt butter smooth and I didnt feel any lag (Had 4 adults on board). The deal breakers for me and my wife were:
1) Butterfly windows in the second row (i was well aware of this and ready to live with it, but the missus hated it, she is one of those types who wants to roll down the window to let in some fresh air during our long drives)
2) With the second row reclined in a comfortable position, in the third row, our knees were touching the seat (I am 5'7"), leaving hardly any space for movements.
3) I know this has been done to death, but just reiterating. The wafer thin tyres dont inspire confidence during high speeds (and breaking).

So, its back to the Xylo again
Quote:

5'8" tall me in the last row. A few inches of space between my knees and the seats ahead:

Last edited by bblost : 17th October 2012 at 12:30. Reason: removed embedded pic. thanks.
ExtremeTorque is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed