Re: Nissan Evalia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Excellent review as always.

Do you guys think Evalia will sweep the markets like How Fortuner or XUV or Qualis did or would be a Market Dud like Aria.

I feel it would just sell in decent numbers and not really dent Ertiga's/Xylo's sales. You guys have driven all the vehicles and should be able to provide valuable insights

Note from Support: Acronyms for car names are not allowed. TFort = Toyota Fortuner.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st August 2012 at 20:05.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:25   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review. The comparo pics with Innova & Xylo is a very welcome addition. When the Evalia parked next to these, it tends to look lesser boxy than as a stand alone product. Pretty much with in the segment standards in terms of appearance. Hope they are able to shake up Toyota by a superb killer pricing!
Old 21st August 2012, 16:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Evalia looks an unfinished job to me .

They have replaced the NY & London cabs/ taxis, but forgot that they have got the vehicle with 7-seater specification in India as compared to 4 abroad. But, the 3rd row gets the AC, & the 2nd row doesn't.

The butterfly windows should have been on the 3rd row at best (if they do not want to dump those), with proper slide down windows for the 2nd row as the space seems is enough for the mechanism to be fitted.

The second row could have been wider... the gap between the door & seat appears big.

The tyres could have been bigger.

There could have been plastic cladding on the seat legs.

The glove box should have been proper closing type with a lid, & there could have been other storage spaces under front seats at least.

But, it will meet considerable success, courtesy the economical running costs & deficiencies of competition (where the smallest engine has best power to weight ratio & reliability to some extent).

However, I wish Nissan had done more on this car to make it a complete product... & hope that I am not being finicky .
Old 21st August 2012, 16:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. Thanks.

As mentioned already, private buyers may not prefer Evalia due to its looks. I am expecting Evalia to be priced closer to Ertiga/Xylo than Innova. I think Evalia will take taxi segment sales away from Ertiga/Xylo/Innova. I think it may bother Ertiga/Xylo (due to similar pricing) more than Innova. In the end, as GTO said, private buyers who have the budget are still going to buy Innova.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:38   #35
BHPian

When I first saw the pictures, it was as if Nissan had 2 designers design this vehicle. Apparently, Designer 1 was told to design a cool looking hatch/sedan and Designer 2 was told to design a "luggage/cargo" vehicle for delivery/pickup & servicing (read plumbing, electrician, telephone company) purposes. Nissan then cut up these designs, took the rear part of Design2 and Front of Design1 and stuck them up with some tape.

A-la-Evalia!
Old 21st August 2012, 16:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Good review Vid and Rehaan! Pricing will be key, because I really don't see too many other reasons for a fleet car company/cab wallah to switch to an Evalia from an Innova/Xylo. Given the looks, I don't see too many private takers for this vehicle, especially with the Ertiga around.

Last edited by razor4077 : 21st August 2012 at 16:46.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:51   #37
BHPian

I see a lot of utilitarian-yet-cool bits here that I'm guessing a lot of people would like, but lack of roll-down windows would be a HUGE dealbreaker for me.
Ive been on countless long-haul Innova trips (500km or more) where someone in the middle or last row started feeling a little 'green'.
Most of the time you could cure this by putting the windows down and letting some fresh air into the cabin. Hell, most of the time you could prevent it by periodically rolling down the windows for a couple of minutes every half an our or so. Also, if you want to smoke, you're plumb out of luck.
Another thing about the Innova (and the Xylo) is that their engines were extremely suited to long-haul driving. Even at speeds of 120 or so, the engines weren't strained at all, they ticked over fairly lazily at low revs. In the Evalia (and the Ertiga) however, the smaller blocks will mean (a) higher revs (which means more cabin noise, which creates more tiredness) and (b) more thinking and planning - "Can I get overtake this guy in front in fourth? No, I have to upshift. Ok, lets get this into third, aha. And now I've missed my overtaking window! Damn!"
Old 21st August 2012, 17:08   #38
BHPian

Excellent review! After reading previous reviews, it is now starting to be a given!!

Like previous readers mentioned, pricing will be key. Also, Nissan would need to add more dealers and A.S.S. to get a better reach to prospective customers.

I have driven a Nissan Sentra previously in U.S. and am a big fan of Nissan - honestly was expecting a much better vehicle in MUV form to compete with the likes of Innova, Ertiga and others. From a product standpoint, this is a bit of a disappointment.
Old 21st August 2012, 17:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

If the side pillar was colored (digitally edited by me in the pic below), the design continuity would perhaps have been better IMO, from the front to rear halves:

Name:  nissanevalia07.jpg
Views: 8672
Size:  67.1 KB

Last edited by mooza : 21st August 2012 at 17:18.
Old 21st August 2012, 17:40   #40
lsp
BHPian

Brilliant review!!

I can't digest the looks of Evalia. I don't think this UV will enjoy good acceptance in private buyer segment. Commercial operators may see it as a good proposition if valued correctly.

However, I shudder when I think of some maniac driver driving close to 100kmph with those puny little tyres on the highway with 7 passengers on board sleeping after their graveyard shift.
Old 21st August 2012, 17:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

About the review:
Brilliant review. The best feature of the TBHP review is the fact that it brings out both the good and bad points in a equal light. This review is also a point in the case, very well documented and brought out.

About the car:
I am amazed on how much homework Nissan has done in working on this car and making subtle changes to suit India market.
One thing I can say is it is surely built with the price in mind, So I wont be shocked if they even price the lower variant at around 6 lakhs. (quite possible). But its a thin line between good price and bad price. So all fingers crossed.
I am very impressed, provided the price sticks to its point, given its localization.
Waiting for release of price.
Old 21st August 2012, 18:08   #42
BHPian

Re: Interior (Rear)

The very sight of this is suffocating me! How could they even think about a car with closed rear windows? I get compelled to get some fresh air for sometime after a long drive with the AC on. With this car, I need to stick my nose out through those few inchesto get some breath! If they were looking to sell this to the Taxi market, again I am not sure if any cab operator would buy a car like this, because most passengers tend to sit in the rear seats and it would be frustrating for them to be not able to roll down the windows even for a little while.

Quote:

Rear pop-open windows opened as much as possible:

Last edited by veyron_head : 21st August 2012 at 18:10.
Old 21st August 2012, 18:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Parabolic leaf springs.

Thanks for the excellent review and pics, Rehaan & Vid6639

Quote:
... A rare combination of a monocoque vehicle construction with leaf-spring rear suspension:

Point to be noted is that these are parabolic leaf springs and not conventional semi-elliptical leaf springs. This probably explains the good ride quality. Well-designed parabolic systems can offer ride comfort comparable to coil-spring suspensions.
Blue Thunder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 18:10   #44
BHPian

Brilliant review as always and as always rated 5 stars. I do not see sliding doors as a major issue. Even the Chrysler minivan that I had in US had sliding doors and I prefer them to normal type on a large vehicle like this. Having said that, what lets down Evalia is it's utilitarian and boxy looks. Whatever Nissan tried, they just could not hide it's "goods carrier" lineage and that will be the biggest dampener for it's adaptation as a family vehicle.

However, Evalia makes perfect sense as a cab - with better fuel efficiency, better interior and luggage space and hopefully better price than Innova.
Old 21st August 2012, 18:30   #45
BHPian

Wow. Great review. If you keep on giving brilliant reviews like this, members will get lazy because there is no need for a physical TD.

The tyre choice is confusing. LT tyres with 45 psi does not seem to be good for braking & ride quality. Surely seems to be a combined deal for Stile & Evalia.

Most Viewed