Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 15:53   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 7th-gen Toyota Camry (2012)

Here is link to Zigwheels test drive report of the Camry:

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...t-drive/14032/

Their review is sugar-coated as usual, but, what struck me was creative inspiration (plagiarism) for their photo-gallery of the newly launched car.

@Jaggu your work with the lens & the keyboard, both, are wonderful, but, Zigwheels should have credited you/ TBHP for their inspiration of the photo shoot.

Note from mod: Incorrect assumption. See post #96 below.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd September 2012 at 15:50. Reason: Adding note so that people reading this don't get misinformed. De see the reply below. Thanks.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 16:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
the strategy is simple. The camry is primarily a US market car where it registered 300,000+ units per year. They are not going to engineer the car with engines and costs to appeal to a market with just a 2000 units a year.

They've done what they can within the flexibility they are allowed by the budget they have for marketing the car in India. Whether it sells poorly or superbly in India will not even be a rounding error on the Camry sales performance report.
I think you are right. I find people too quick to make the jump from (a) I don't find this car good value to (b) Toyota must be crazy to try and sell in this market. Toyota's job is to make profits and there must be some reason they believe they need to price it at this level to do so. This is the most successful car company of all time after all.

So the real question should be why they have under-specced and overpriced an otherwise top-grade car. It has to be more than just Harbir's point above -- there are presumably logistical or budgetary reasons for this. Doesn't mean we have to agree with every marketing decision they make but there is surely some thinking behind it.

For instance, Jaggu clearly wrote in his review that they believe their target segment does not care about diesel engines. So we might disagree but at least their decision is based on a study.
Old 30th August 2012, 17:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

Just FYI, Camry sold in the US has TEN airbags which makes it best in class

Quote:
Ten airbags [17] -- includes driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags, rear seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear side curtain airbags
http://www.toyota.com/camry/features.html
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 17:25   #94
BHPian

The American version of Chevrolet Cruze and the Beat (called Spark in USA) has ten airbags! What were they thinking while launching the Camry with just two airbags and no Traction Control System or Electronic Stability Control when they are aiming squarely to compete with well established players like the Škoda Superb and the Volkswagen Passat? I was mighty impressed with the new Camry when I saw the cabin in a showroom here in Chennai. As soon as I heard about the lack of essential safety features in a car of this class and price point, I walked straight out of the showroom!
Old 2nd September 2012, 17:37   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
The American version of Chevrolet Cruze and the Beat (called Spark in USA) has ten airbags! What were they thinking while launching the Camry with just two airbags and no Traction Control System or Electronic Stability Control when they are aiming squarely to compete with well established players like the Škoda Superb and the Volkswagen Passat? I was mighty impressed with the new Camry when I saw the cabin in a showroom here in Chennai. As soon as I heard about the lack of essential safety features in a car of this class and price point, I walked straight out of the showroom!
That's very bad from Toyota,they price at such a high premium and they skip all essential safety features.Probably there should be some basic regulation based on the segment,on the list of safety features that are mandatory.
GullwingGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 15:48   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
... Zigwheels should have credited you/ TBHP for their inspiration of the photo shoot.
Cardeep, this is not correct at all.

On media drives the routes and locations are sometimes planned out or very limited, and time is short.

This results is several reviewers ending up with similar shots. In fact, more often than not, two publications share the same vehicle -- resulting in the exact same location for the shots.

In fact, in this case Zigwheels and Jaggu had no idea what each other were shooting - as they both had different time slots.

In future do investigate a little before jumping to the accusation stage, as it will save everyone some trouble

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 17:16   #97
BHPian

In this month's Autocar India, I find that the Chennai price for a petrol Corolla AT is almost 19 lakhs. If that is the case, the Camry certainly does not seem to be unduly overpriced.
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:34   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone
In this month's Autocar India, I find that the Chennai price for a petrol Corolla AT is almost 19 lakhs. If that is the case, the Camry certainly does not seem to be unduly overpriced.
As per Toyotabharat price list, Delhi Ex showroom price is Rs. 23,80,000 which is shockingly high. this car is bound to sink like a stone.
Old 4th September 2012, 12:28   #99
BHPian

The first month has shown 60 Camrys have been shipped out of TKM with 25 of those being retailed. Decent numbers for the segment, but this being its first month, not the right time to judge on the market's acceptance.
Old 13th September 2012, 17:21   #100
BHPian

Today, I took delivery of new Camry. According to the dealer, this is the first Camry to be delivered in New Delhi. The color is silver metallic.

I drove it from the dealership to home which is aprox 15 kms. 3 things are could be noticed immediately.

It has outstanding ride quality either at slow speed which gets better and better as the speed increases. Though I barely touched 80.

It has very low NVH level inside the cabin. There is a complete hush and silence. It cocoons the occupants in a remarkable manner.

It is very easy ( and user friendly) to drive.

I will write a detailed ownership review in next couple of days in the relevant section including as to what factors went in the decision making process etc etc.

This forum has been a very big help to me in finalizing my decision. Thanks to all.
chinmoysc is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 18:25   #101
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmoysc View Post
Today, I took delivery of new Camry. According to the dealer, this is the first Camry to be delivered in New Delhi. The color is silver metallic.
That's just great! Rehaan linked to your post and points out that the 1st Camry in Mumbai belongs to Moderator Navin . Now, we only need a BHPian from Bangalore to complete the list.

We want ownership reports from both of you!

Quote:
It has outstanding ride quality either at slow speed which gets better and better as the speed increases. Though I barely touched 80.

It has very low NVH level inside the cabin. There is a complete hush and silence. It cocoons the occupants in a remarkable manner.

In other words, the Camry has the attributes of a Lexus.

Congrats & do drive safe.
Old 13th September 2012, 18:55   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your new ride. The Camry does look really great in its new avataar. Waiting for your ownership report eagerly. It would be interesting to know your buying process and what went in favour of the Camry inspite of that extra hefty price tag. How much did it cost you OTR in Delhi?
Old 14th September 2012, 10:02   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I drove it from the dealership to home which is aprox 15 kms. 3 things are could be noticed immediately.

I will write a detailed ownership review in next couple of days in the relevant section including as to what factors went in the decision making process etc etc.

This forum has been a very big help to me in finalizing my decision. Thanks to all.
Hi,

Nice to meet a fellow 2012 Camry owner and BHPian. I took delivery of my car on Sept 2nd (whch was a Sunday). Shinrai Toyota actually were ready for delvier on August 31st barely 4 days after I made payment for the car (Augsut 27th) and 6 days after I actually booked the car (August 25th). But I was not well on the 31st and my chauffer refused to take delivery on Saturday as it is a metal object and his supersitions did not permit this.

I was still unwell on Sunday but I headed down to Shinrai literally in my boxers to accept delivery. The look on the face of the sales people was priceless! I dont know what caught them more unawares - whether how a person can pick up a 30L car in his boxers; or fact that the first Camry was being delviered to someone who was so ashen faced and visibly unwell.

My previous cars were a 2009 Accord and a 2004 Octavia vRS. I also regularly drive my wife's 2010 Honda City and my mom's older 2007 City. To be honest I find the Camry lighter to drive than either the Accord or 2010 City (lets not even compare the vRS in Mumbai traffic). The older CVT based 2007 City however has lighter steering.

However I find the accelertation, handling and braking a little wanting. Overall the performance of the car will not begin to compare with the vRS or any of the Germans (BMW 3/5 series, Mercedes C/E class etc..). But for the price of a simiarly sized German you could buy 2 Camrys and the Camry does not give up that much.

Where the Camry drops the ball compared to it's (similarly prices and sized) rivals is in the features. The Passat and Superb are far better appointed. I believe the new Accord might also be better equipped.

Where the Camry scores is in rear seat comfort. It betters the Accord in comfort if not in pure leg room. The high window line of the rear window offers some privacy but integrated window blinds for the rear passenger would have been welcome. Come on Toyota! Even the Altis has these! Your Altis! Yes the one that retails for half the cost of a Camry! What ever was Toyota thinking?

There are half a dozen other features the Passat and Superb have, the Camry misses on. Toyota could have hit a home run but sadly they have only gotten to first base - rear seat passenger comfort.

...and Toyota, who on earth worked on the ICE!

Last edited by navin : 14th September 2012 at 10:16.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 10:18   #104
Senior - BHPian

^
Awaiting yours and chinmoysc's ownership threads eagerly. Many congratulations to both of you for owning a rugged, no-nonsense, reliable, easy-on-maintenance albeit short on features vehicle. You will definitely enjoy years of trouble free driving.
Old 14th September 2012, 17:09   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
There are half a dozen other features the Passat and Superb have, the Camry misses on. Toyota could have hit a home run but sadly they have only gotten to first base - rear seat passenger comfort.

...and Toyota, who on earth worked on the ICE!
It looks like Japs spend most of their R&D money on making a car more reliable and implementing processes that will lower the overall cost of ownership (low spare part prices, for example). The left over cash is spent on the suspension department to make sure the car rides well.

The Europeans seem to spend most of their R&D money on making nice interiors and packing the car with useful features. The ride & handling R&D department gets the spare cash.

The Koreans (Korean, actually) seems to spend 90% of their budget on the car exterior design department!

Most Viewed