Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2012, 09:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Scala : Official Review

Somehow I think its worth the 90K premium, guys.. And if they do what GTO has asked them, it will become a D segment car at C- price?? WOW!

Whats with the brakes - not fixable? I was very hopeful that they will get better in this avatar.. Its a no-go for me till then..

Last edited by GTO : 3rd September 2012 at 14:54. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd September 2012, 09:43   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review!

On a minority basis, I prefer the sober looks of Sunny over the Scala. The front of the Scala looks more of a hatchback than a sedan. Also they seem to have gone overboard with chrome parts! If I try to compare the Scala/Sunny twins to the Vento/Rapid twins, the Rapid actually had a few better improvements (suspension/NVH/etc) made when it was launched. Pity Renault hasn't done the same with the Scala with learnings from the Sunny.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd September 2012 at 09:45.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 10:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

I think that the Sunny looks better than this Scala. But both are basically non descript in nature and quite uninspiring overall. A diesel workhorse and nothing more. A poor man's Corolla is what I would say.
Old 2nd September 2012, 11:12   #34
BHPian

Nice review Noop!

The rear definitely looks better than the Sunny, though very similar to the Dzire. However, it appears that's part of Renault's standard design elements. Another aspect I'd like to know is whether Scala feels European at all (body, road grip, control) as its sibling obviously feels very Asian.

Here's where I request your advice:

Appears to me that the Scala (Diesel) mid variant may be in the same region as that of the Rapid TDI (Ambition).

I'm almost convinced with the Rapid after the Test Drive (also tried out the Sunny then). With my limited knowledge, felt the Rapid is a better car to drive in the city, though mileage should well be lower than the Sunny/ Scala. A.S.S is iffy or should I say an unknown commodity with Renault, whereas Skoda is a "known devil". I also think spares and maintenance costs may be in the same range - please correct me if I'm wrong.

For me the key factors:
City and highway drive: braking, power, performance
A.S.S
Maintenance Cost
Re-sale
Not too worried about the gizmos/ electronics/ ICE

To a smaller extent:
Mileage
Interiors

From the looks point of view, I definitely like the Rapid more - no offense to any Sunny or Scala owner/ owner to be. But I'm now trying to decide between the Rapid and Scala.

Please advise, thanks.
RoadTripper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review noopster. "I have a Scala", and now that doesn't sound all right, isn't it?

I prefer Scala' exterior design to Sunny. But Pulse' mesh grille looks better to this one. Very interesting shape for the headlight.

Wish Renault had spent a little more effort on this one though, like Skoda on the Rapid. Better brakes and plusher interiors as you mentioned in the review. Maybe they rushed the launch to take advantage of the recent footfalls.

So, will Nissan get to pull one back with a re-badged Duster? Maybe not. Exchanging Micra and Sunny for the Duster won't be a fair trade.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:44   #36
Mik
BHPian

Nice review!
Somehow, the car looks very unappealing to me in pictures. A disjointed design. Neither here, neither there. The Sunny atleast seems to have a consistent design theme.

By the way - an absolute howler on Wheelocity - Zee business
The 'expert' anchor said " everything in the scala is round. Round buttons, round Steering!!!"
Mik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 13:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
If most of these features are present in RXL it might be okay to upgrade the HU in RXL to something which has support for USB & AUX (may be Bluetooth as well). Some of them even support controls through OEM steering wheel controls.
The Sunny I test drove has an after market 2din audio system. The controls on the steering worked with the system. The sales person stated they will work for any system.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 13:01   #38
BHPian

Thanks for the review noopster. Renault seems to be very aggressive with their product launches now. 2 vehicles in 2 months is impressive.

I don't quite understand Renault's strategy here. The idea of Scala aping the Sunny just like Pulse did to the Micra was not needed. They haven't even bothered to upgrade the brakes which was the Achilles' heel in the Sunny. That in my opinion is most appalling. And if the 90K premium is what Renault wants to charge over the Sunny, I am not sure it will have too many takers with the thinner dealer network they have.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 14:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I think that the Sunny looks better than this Scala. But both are basically non descript in nature and quite uninspiring overall. A diesel workhorse and nothing more. A poor man's Corolla is what I would say.
Agree that it's a diesel workhorse but differ on the Corolla analogy. I would say the Sunny/Scala is the smart man's Corolla. In terms of interior space and engine output the diesel Corolla just isn't worth the price Toyota is asking. AFAIK the Corolla doesn't even get leather seats as standard.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 16:41   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

When was the last time a car maker made a car for the passion of making a car or for the love of driving i ask espescially < 10 L segment ?
Where they can say ' yes we have made a beautiful machine to be enjoyed behind the wheel'
The worst thing is sometimes they do launch such variants like Toyota recently launched the limited edition Liva (TRD version) ?
Was that a joke ? Why they have to hoax ?
Well, correct again for profit ? Or may be to promote the TRD Cup.
Too much brains being used to increase the profit or cost reduction, but where is the pleasure gone ?

PS - With all due respect to the target customers of the Scala ( chauffer driven ) i ask this just because this is the latest review & opportunity for discussion & INDIA being targetted for churning volumes & profit.
Sad but True !

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd September 2012 at 16:59.
Old 2nd September 2012, 16:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Thanks Noop... how do you rate it against Verna in the handling & power departments. & despite its low numbers, I fell Linea is better than this in most departments... what is your comment.

Can a comparative chart of the car with its immediate contemporaries be included ?

Last edited by GTO : 3rd September 2012 at 14:56.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 19:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review, Awesome work as always.

To be honest, I for one won't pay any premium for scala over sunny. I like sunny's look over scala, maybe it's because i am used to see sunny on roads now a days.

Earlier, when sunny was launched, I used to hate that, But now looks have grown on me, it looks good to me

Interiors are identical to sunny, same is the case with side profile.

I don't think it will find more buyers, As we've seen the case with Pulse. Lot of micra can be seen on roads, But pulse, I don't think, I haven't seen 2-3 till date, here in Delhi.

Waiting for the prices.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 2nd September 2012, 21:20   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
...Here's where I request your advice:
...I'm almost convinced with the Rapid after the Test Drive (also tried out the Sunny then). With my limited knowledge, felt the Rapid is a better car to drive in the city, though mileage should well be lower than the Sunny/ Scala. A.S.S is iffy or should I say an unknown commodity with Renault, whereas Skoda is a "known devil". I also think spares and maintenance costs may be in the same range - please correct me if I'm wrong...
My 2 cents in the mean time...Rapid will be a better car in the highway too, no two ways about it. The extra power, handling & brakes will give you much more pleasurable drive.

I don't expect the mileage to be lesser even, some Rapid ownership threads prove so.

Spares & maintenance costs of Scala should be much lesser than the Rapid.

If you are going to spend more time in the driver seat & dont mind the "Skoda" brand reputation and maintenance costs, pick it! Guess Rapid will have a better re-sale value as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvSafe View Post
I really do not get the point of Renault launching Pulse against Nissan Micra and then this Scala against Sunny. Can some one please like to explain on this strategy ?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
...I don't quite understand Renault's strategy here. The idea of Scala aping the Sunny just like Pulse did to the Micra was not needed....
Additional product with minimal development costs! That's the best any company can ask for. If they can divert couple of customers from other brands by the "looks", they make some serious bucks with minimal investment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
The Sunny I test drove has an after market 2din audio system. The controls on the steering worked with the system. The sales person stated they will work for any system.
Most aftermarket HUs come with an interface [or aftermarket ones] which provides seamless functions of steering wheel & other features. Does make it easy for the customers though have to pay a bit extra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Renault has missed an opportunity to upgrade brakes which are as negative in intensity as the positivity of rear legroom. Seriously, with the power and high speed cruising ability of diesel, brakes should be much, much better....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Somehow I think its worth the 90K premuim, guys.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
...They haven't even bothered to upgrade the brakes which was the Achilles' heel in the Sunny. That in my opinion is most appalling. And if the 90K premium is what Renault wants to charge over the Sunny, I am not sure it will have too many takers with the thinner dealer network they have.
If they charge all those premium over the Nissan products after rectifying the known issues, it would have been better. Would have helped them establish as a premium brand over Nissan. Looks like they want a premium just based on looks! Lost opportunities I have to say!

I feel that they should have the A$$ shared [not the sales outlet though] for both Nissan & Renault atleast for the sibling products! That would enhance the customer base I guess. Even those who have only a Nissan A$$ close by might buy a Renault product, if they like the looks over the Nissan one.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd September 2012 at 21:24.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 00:10   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Additional product with minimal development costs! That's the best any company can ask for. If they can divert couple of customers from other brands by the "looks", they make some serious bucks with minimal investment!..
Correct, but I was just wondering that in the same way it may also hamper Nissan sales. And if they put the same investment and roll out an upgraded Sunny or Micra for that matter, then I guess they can get buyers. I may be wrong but I am just concerned that next time Nissan rolls out a car, then people may tend to wait thinking Renault will definitely get an upgraded one soon.
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:56   #45
BHPian

Like you mentioned, the rear is Dzire's. If ask me about the tail lights, its blend of the new Dzire and Laura.

The point you made about Renualt's need to justify its price is food for thought for them. The engine being noisy at high speed is a disadvandage for the drive...makes you think twice to stay or slow down.

I thought the side-view mirrors were small. how is the view-area?

Last edited by noopster : 3rd September 2012 at 11:57. Reason: High-speed references removed

Most Viewed