Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:45   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Scala : Official Review

@noopster: Congratulations on your first official review. It was very crisp and to the point.

I am not seeing any ad's on TV for this car. Have they started the campaign or still waiting?
I am curious to know how they will market this car. Sunny adv. campaign with 'caaar' was extremely well thought out and a success.
What will Renault come up with now?

The car is targeted toward sedate driving, so comparing with Rapid and Vento does not really seem a valid comparison.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:06   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Agree that it's a diesel workhorse but differ on the Corolla analogy. I would say the Sunny/Scala is the smart man's Corolla. In terms of interior space and engine output the diesel Corolla just isn't worth the price Toyota is asking. AFAIK the Corolla doesn't even get leather seats as standard.
Very true. The Corolla diesel is the benchmark of an overpriced, underfeatured vehicle. Both Nissan and Renault can actually use the comparison against the Corolla and justify the VFM tag of Sunny and Scala respectively. Both Sunny and Scala are indeed cheaper and smarter options to the diesel Corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Additional product with minimal development costs! That's the best any company can ask for. If they can divert couple of customers from other brands by the "looks", they make some serious bucks with minimal investment!
Can't deny that point but what eventually happens is sales figures splitting between the two companies. End result is poor sales for both. This theory makes more sense within a company where same engine is shared between various cars. Case in point is Ertiga/SX4 and Swift/Ritz sharing same engine in the diesel versions. The customer picks any car and the company benefits with no loss of brand loyalty.

I would have liked to see atleast better brakes in the Scala if Renault wanted to show any serious value addition over the Sunny.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 3rd September 2012 at 12:09.
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:38   #48
BHPian

Wonderful review Noopster. I like the Scala better than Sunny the front and the rear angle to be specific (even though they are almost the same). They should have ideally improved on the weakness that the sunny had. If they had done that they would definitely see a lot of sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Black looks hot, in my opinion.
I also like the black best.
bullet-tooth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:57   #49
BHPian

I do not understand the strategy of the company to launch 'twins' in the market. How does it hope to create a differentiator for the brand in the market? The key aspect of performance is hardly any different from Nissan's models.

This indicates the approach of Renault towards the Indian market. The focus seems to be on costs to gain foothold in the market place. Do not spend much on design. Just focus on speed to market and re-badging and we are done for now. Typically, this approach would be adopted by the companies that are 'testing the waters'. We do not yet have any confidence inspiring news on the service network front from Renault.

Till then, I guess we will have to hope Renault sticks around and brings in newer designs
Old 3rd September 2012, 14:01   #50
BHPian

Thanks Anoop for a very succinct review. A pleasurable read.

Gathered through the thread that this is your first official review. Congratulations on that as well - must be a proud moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Somehow, the car looks very unappealing to me in pictures. A disjointed design. Neither here, neither there. The Sunny atleast seems to have a consistent design theme.
+1 buddy.

I too prefer the unpretentious looks of Nissan's blockbuster sedan over her cousin, the Scala. This one seems rather disproportionate and garish (with all that chrome overdose) - at least at first glance.

To further compound matters, the name Scala sounds bloody insipid and uninteresting. Er...do pardon my "French" (pun unintended!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
By the way - an absolute howler on Wheelocity - Zee business
The 'expert' anchor said " everything in the scala is round. Round buttons, round Steering!!!"
How could he forget round wheels! Truly a star 'all-rounder' in the making, perhaps??!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 3rd September 2012 at 14:03.
Omtoatom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 14:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

IMO, this one looks much better than its sibling (Sunny). Same was the case with the Micra/Pulse. For some reason, Renaults cars (these two in particular) appear to be more appealing than that of Nissans.

Agreed, Renault could've given better interiors to command that extra price over Sunny. People are spoilt for a choice with interiors from the Vento/Rapid/Verna.

@noop:
Ride and handling up to the mark. Or are you spoiled by the Vento ?

Nice crisp review there.
Old 3rd September 2012, 17:21   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Noop on your first review. It is straight from the heart and not to mention crisp and tasty (being a foodie my usage of words sometimes is offtopic & biased)

Btw, I like the Pulse over the Micra. But, vice-versa for Scala. The front end of Scala looks good but, seems little out of place with that huge Renault logo standing out like a sore thumb.

The back? Well, I'd rather not comment as its nothing to write home about except that they copied the same style statement as the Duster with the name of the car printed across the aliminium plate. I like how it looks on the Duster though.

What disappointed me was they just retained everything from the Sunny in the interiors. They could have played around a bit to make it look slightly different. And, also they should HAVE addressed the brake and gearing issue. Well, i think timing again was their main constraint ( to release it immediately after the Duster to cash in on its popularity)

Will i buy it? Well, the reason for buying it would be exactly the same as Sunny. It will be a nice car to be chaffeaured around but, NOT for the driving enthusiasts.

Great work on the review again. Kudos !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 22:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

When I compare pictures of Sunny with Scala, I feel Scala's rear will sync better with Sunny's front grill and chrome lip. This rear garnish from Sunny accessory list might better things a little bit.

Front, I prefer Sunny's looks. I believe Sunny's looks will age better than it's french sibling.
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:15   #54
Senior - BHPian

Super review!

Aren't Renault and Nissan connected to each other in some way? I mean the whole scenario just like Volkswagen and Skoda complementing each other with the Vento and Rapid. Renault-Nissan must be thinking on similar lines or what?

I liked the rear end of the car, it looks classy. The front end is however not much to my liking. And just as you said, stick a tape on the logo in the front and you can't tell the difference between the Sunny and Scala.

For some reason, both car names are unappealing to me, they could have done better.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 09:21   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
Noop, how is the sound quality of the speakers of Scala. Are they different or the same?
Identical. We didn't do a detailed speaker check though (I was carrying my ipod & a flash drive hoping they have a USB in, but no luck!). Played a CD and listened to FM for a while but it sounded the same as the Sunny.
Quote:
Do you have any idea how much the Scala would be priced higher than Sunny?
None at all. Renault shared neither the pricing nor the variant-wise detailed spec sheet at the test drive. Around 40K premium over the Sunny (like to like variant) seems to be reasonable but I have a feeling it will be higher, say in the 70K range. They have offered something extra in both the RxL (over Sunny XL) and RxZ (over Sunny XV) so on paper they can justify the premium. Also that is a similar premium to what Vento charges over the Rapid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
If I try to compare the Scala/Sunny twins to the Vento/Rapid twins, the Rapid actually had a few better improvements (suspension/NVH/etc) made when it was launched. Pity Renault hasn't done the same with the Scala with learnings from the Sunny.
When you sit in a Rapid you know you are in a Skoda because some elements like the stereo HU and the AC unit are so typical. Unfortunately Renault hasn't bothered to provide those brand touches to the Scala. As said before, beefed-up brakes and a slicker gearshift would have been wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
... how do you rate it against Verna in the handling & power departments. & despite its low numbers, I fell Linea is better than this in most departments... what is your comment.
I haven't driven the Verna extensively enough to comment but from all accounts it retains the same boatiness at speeds that characterizes Hyundai vehicles (as a former Accent owner I can testify to that ). The Sunny is not a bad handler but take it to anything above 120 and it doesn't inspire confidence at all.
Personally I love the Linea, especially the awe-inspiring T-Jet but for whatever reason it doesn't sell. If you are looking for a petrol, it's a no-contest performance-wise: get the T-Jet. The diesels are closer in performance but handling-wise Fiat is miles ahead.
Quote:
Can a comparative chart of the car with its immediate contemporaries be included ?
Please refer this link for the Sunny diesel comparo. The Scala is mechanically identical. You'll find a similar sheet in mobike008's Sunny petrol review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I thought the side-view mirrors were small. how is the view-area?
They're actually quite good. I had a major issue with the inner RVM though. Don't know why so many carmakers give such tiny IRVMs these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am not seeing any ad's on TV for this car. Have they started the campaign or still waiting?
Too early. The official launch is in a few days, if the grapevine is to be believed. There is still time for the car to hit the showrooms, which is when the advertising burst woud be most effective, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
@noop:
Ride and handling up to the mark. Or are you spoiled by the Vento ?
The ride is good but don't expect European high-speed cornering ability in this car. Related point: The Scala, like the Sunny, does not feel typically Japanese build-quality-wise (gives a "thunk" sound on closing the doors that, while not thuddy like the Germans, at least feels more solid than Maruti & Honda).

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Aren't Renault and Nissan connected to each other in some way? I mean the whole scenario just like Volkswagen and Skoda complementing each other with the Vento and Rapid. Renault-Nissan must be thinking on similar lines or what?
Renault and Nissan share a "strategic partnership" that is not a merger or an acquisition; rather, the two companies are joined together through a cross-shareholding agreement. Renault currently has a 43.4 percent stake in Nissan, and Nissan holds a 15 percent stake in Renault. Both companies retain a common Chairman (Carlos Ghosn) who is also Chairman of each of the individual companies. Ghosn himself compares the Renault-Nissan partnership to a "marriage" rather than a conventional business alliance(Source: Wikipedia)

Last edited by noopster : 4th September 2012 at 09:23. Reason: Typo
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 10:56   #56
BHPian

Nice review noopster, Renault cars look better than nissan cars to me. Scala and pulse is a good example of it. I would buy a scala over sunny any time, renault is sucessful in keeping nissan down below it, even tough their cars are mechanically the same. What about duster from nissan? Duster will be cheaper than renault if launched by nissan. Should wait and watch if renault is big hearted to give duster to nissan ?
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 17:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

Channel 100 in Tata Sky STB is showing Scala ad. continuously with lauch date as September 7th. Two days to go.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:18   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Launch on Friday, 7th September @ 1100 hours.

Live streaming here
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 23:54   #59
Senior - BHPian

Great review!

First comment-What lousy alloys! I mean they look so tacky!
I dont know what is renault's strategy here. Pulse was launched at a premium over the micra and it has failed miserably. Now the scala is at least going to be 40-50k more than the sunny. Why would one buy it? I dont know seriously!
Pitted against the Rapid { i still think the scala will be cheaper than the Vento / Verna} it stands no chance. I would anyday buy the sunny and save quite a bit of money.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 00:40   #60
BHPian

Hey Noopster,
Great review!!!
However, you've made my life difficult now. After TD-ing various cars, I had kind of finalised on the Sunny due to its VFM-ness - when this review comes along... Guess I'll need to visit the Renault showroom once to check out the Scala.

Any idea how good/bad is Renault's ASS? I've not heard much abt them yet, so checking. Let me know pls.
SujAce is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks