Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2012, 01:43   #106
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Certainly, it is a subjective. Enthusiasm for anything makes you an enthusiast. IF you feel enthusiastic about the cars that are offered in India, you are an enthusiast of those cars.

THat however does not change the fact that there is little experience, understanding, appreciation, or HUNGER for the characteristics and compromises that make cars fun, exciting, thrilling to drive, that cause people to develop an appreciation for fine driving technique, that reward fine technique, cars that reveal an unusual level of brilliance but only to those who have got the technique to explore a car's capabilities and therefore understand them and use them well.

Now anybody who gets excited about a car and likes to own or go for a drive in it can be said to be enthusiastic and therefore an enthusiast, but that does not make him the sort of enthusiast that I am talking about.
Great point, Sir! And that's exactly why I'd said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
There is a part of me that agrees with everything you've said here, Habir.
I yern to experience at least 20% of what you have. Much respect!

Getting back to the topic at hand..

I spotted a 320d sport in the parking-lot of one of these new malls that have cropped up in Bangalore, and I must say it looks bloody good in the flesh. It was black and it had different wheels. Not the sort you get standard on the 320d. Certainly not the larger ones you find on the 328i. On peering inside, I noticed the red-strip across the dash and the wonderfully laid-out cockpit.

This wasn't the first new 3 sighting for me though. I'd seen a red test-drive vehicle somewhere near Trinity Circle and it was just a fleeting glance. It looked nothing special at that time. Just like any other Bimmer.

Have you had the chance to drive the 328i? I'm sorry, I might have missed your post if you have already penned-down your experience.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:21   #107
BHPian

I have not test driven one yet. Test driving cars at the delhi dealers is pointless because they're located in the middle of some of most jammed areas in the NCR. I'll test drive one when I go to Chandigarh at the dealer there.
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:22   #108
Senior - BHPian

Guys everyone please tune into CNN-IBN today at 4.30 and watch the show Bmw you,me & 3.Its channel no 539 on tatasky.

A massive surprise is awaiting all of you.
A fellow member's cars have been featured in it.Till then keep guessing whose and which generations.

Put it on record if you won't be home then.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:29   #109
BHPian

I'm going out this evening. At least this link helped.

http://ibnlive.in.com/videos/292062/...about-bmw.html

pEaCe
AirbusA340 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 14:16   #110
BHPian

I wish we had something like this in India:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747982

Quote from the link - "...the Fall Weekend Special invites consumers to experience the 328i for a flexible four-day weekend with unlimited mileage. Consumers will have the choice of experiencing the 328i from Thursday morning through Monday morning or from Friday morning through Tuesday morning."

Wow!!
Old 25th September 2012, 21:30   #111
BHPian

I went to navnit motors to see the 3 series today. I got the name of a sales executive from a fellow member but unfortunately he resigned from there. So an other person explained the features. For the first time i entered into a BMW
Frankly it was not so luxurious as i expected. TD was not available(as usual in all showrooms).Any bhpians have a contact there to have a TD, can you PM me?
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:37   #112
BHPian

I managed to get a TD on my my uncle's new 320D and got stunned driving a "diesel" which could be so quick. I used the S mode and it felt as if we were taking off in a Jet on the runway. A 5 min ride was enough to make me happy and remember the same for a long while . I always read stories about BMW's being best driver's cars and my short drive confirmed the same.

I hope I can try it once on the Yamuna Expressway someday to realize its true potential.
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:27   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Certainly, it is a subjective. Enthusiasm for anything makes you an enthusiast. IF you feel enthusiastic about the cars that are offered in India, you are an enthusiast of those cars.

Now anybody who gets excited about a car and likes to own or go for a drive in it can be said to be enthusiastic and therefore an enthusiast, but that does not make him the sort of enthusiast that I am talking about.
Harbir & friends,

What is your take on a BMW 325i ( 2004) with triptronic gear ? I have never driven this car but the feed back i got from few friends were excellent.I have my eyes on a sparingly used 325i but the triptronic gear kind of stops me from going for a TD.

Have you driven this car and what is your take on it ?
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:58   #114
BHPian

What I wrote about the E46 325i automatic some years ago on another forum when asked about it (when i was still in the US and had just recently sold my E46 330i Sport.

Quote:
the automatic is OK but wrecks the sportiness of the car because it disconnects you from the superb feel of the engine and its shift behavior is too unsporty.

The version without the sport package suspension and rolling stock is sloppy, understeery, imprecise, but rides very nicely.
Rolling stock = wheels and tyres.
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:24   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo car View Post
Harbir & friends,

What is your take on a BMW 325i ( 2004) with triptronic gear ? I have never driven this car but the feed back i got from few friends were excellent.I have my eyes on a sparingly used 325i but the triptronic gear kind of stops me from going for a TD.

Have you driven this car and what is your take on it ?
If you are talking about the one in our classifeds?

If I am right, it has been on the market for a while. I looked at buying it but owner never responded when I called for more info.

I also heard that you might want to look into the gearbox of that car with more interest
Old 5th October 2012, 14:17   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If you are talking about the one in our classifeds?

If I am right, it has been on the market for a while. I looked at buying it but owner never responded when I called for more info.

I also heard that you might want to look into the gearbox of that car with more interest
Ajmat,

That is a bmw with manual transmission ..right ? i send him a mail too but no response.

This is a different BMW based at cochin, Kerala. I liked the car but i am skeptical about the triptronic gear box as i have never used a car with the same. Lot of friends have advised me about checking the gear box of this car as when the said gear box fails, the replacement would cost the sky.

Any way, do you have any info about the said model ?
Old 5th October 2012, 14:25   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ajmat,

That is a bmw with manual transmission ..right ? i send him a mail too but no response.

This is a different BMW based at cochin, Kerala. I liked the car but i am skeptical about the triptronic gear box as i have never used a car with the same. Lot of friends have advised me about checking the gear box of this car as when the said gear box fails, the replacement would cost the sky.

Any way, do you have any info about the said model ?
Nope it is a manual - please take a look at the pics. A friend of mine who is an e36 fan was thinking of this car and he told me that it has a gear box issue.

Let me advise you BMW never service or repair autoboxes they replace them. IF they had their fluid changed regualalry, the life would be much more
Old 5th October 2012, 14:36   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Nope it is a manual - please take a look at the pics. A friend of mine who is an e36 fan was thinking of this car and he told me that it has a gear box issue.

Let me advise you BMW never service or repair autoboxes they replace them. IF they had their fluid changed regualalry, the life would be much more
Ajmat,

gear box issue for BMW= major repair work.

Considering the cost of orginal BMW parts, the cost can go to nearly a lakh. Am i right ajmat ?

I too love old version beemers better than new generation ones, but getting a good one with low mileage on the clock seems tough.
Old 5th October 2012, 14:41   #119
BHPian

My issue is verifying odo readings. I have seen so MUCH fraud in the last year or so that I have become skeptical of going near used cars.
Old 5th October 2012, 14:57   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ajmat,

gear box issue for BMW= major repair work.

Considering the cost of orginal BMW parts, the cost can go to nearly a lakh. Am i right ajmat ?

Thats not rocket science and that is probably why considering high overseas labour costs, it is easier to replace than repair

Quote:
My issue is verifying odo readings. I have seen so MUCH fraud in the last year or so that I have become skeptical of going near used cars.
I worked with a person in Holland whose lease car BMW 530d had excess miles. His friend who was a wheeler dealer borrowed it and came back 30 min later having given the car a "10000 km haircut"

Most Viewed