Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2018, 17:53   #1636
BHPian

Hi folks

Having an issue with the tpm on my 320 d 225/50 Bridgestone RFT . I fill air on cold tires keeping 31 and 32 psi respectively . I then always rest the tpm. Post the resetting it shows values of 28 and 29 respectively . This is happened twice . What could be the reason ?
Old 13th February 2018, 10:23   #1637
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi folks

Having an issue with the tpm on my 320 d 225/50 Bridgestone RFT . I fill air on cold tires keeping 31 and 32 psi respectively . I then always rest the tpm. Post the resetting it shows values of 28 and 29 respectively . This is happened twice . What could be the reason ?
Haven't faced this issue. TPM is pretty accurate. In fact, even when you start refilling the air the TPM will show the change in tyre pressure. So, before reset, while filling the air see whether the TPM is showing the same pressure as shown in the bunk. Alternatively, try another bunk - it may be an issue with their calibration.
Old 13th February 2018, 20:11   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post
Haven't faced this issue. TPM is pretty accurate. In fact, even when you start refilling the air the TPM will show the change in tyre pressure. So, before reset, while filling the air see whether the TPM is showing the same pressure as shown in the bunk. Alternatively, try another bunk - it may be an issue with their calibration.
thanks tried the same. still finding that if the bunker fills air at say 32 psi in the rear tires one shows 31.2 and the other 30.7 in the other. also have seen that after a say 2 hr of driving the psi increases by 2 to 3 psi.

Given the fact that the RFT are quite sensitive to tire pressure since it makes the ride quite uncomfortable i am still trying to find the perfect pressure.

When is the best time to check the air pressure?

Also are the window heat resistant. am still thinking whether to go ahead with sun film such as the 3M CR 70 or the Lumar Air 70 series . There are binds for the rear side and behind glass but the front does get heated and on long drives there is some glare which comes from the front windshield.
Old 13th February 2018, 21:31   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
Sorry to hear about this. I swapped all of my tyres to tubeless with an upsize to 235/50 R18 for more width and sidewall. I have shared my experience here-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ml#post4347405

Did you reuse the existing rims ? and the tpms sensors ?
Old 13th February 2018, 21:39   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
thanks tried the same. still finding that if the bunker fills air at say 32 psi in the rear tires one shows 31.2 and the other 30.7 in the other. also have seen that after a say 2 hr of driving the psi increases by 2 to 3 psi.

Given the fact that the RFT are quite sensitive to tire pressure since it makes the ride quite uncomfortable i am still trying to find the perfect pressure.

Also are the window heat resistant. am still thinking whether to go ahead with sun film such as the 3M CR 70 or the Lumar Air 70 series . There are binds for the rear side and behind glass but the front does get heated and on long drives there is some glare which comes from the front windshield.
Not sure why there is such a difference. 0.1 psi is acceptable. After a long drive, tyres will get heated up and hence pressure will go up. Hence, after a cold start try to get it filled (from a different bunk next time) preferably within a 1 km radius.

Don't think windows have any tint. Never needed any film in Blore.
Old 14th February 2018, 17:12   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Did you reuse the existing rims ? and the tpms sensors ?
Yes I am using the same rims as well as TPMS sensors. Clearances are tight on this car but there are no issues whatsoever.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 00:34   #1642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Fill 30psi when cold for use in the city. I've found that's the perfect pressure for a decent ride in the city. The pressure may vary a little bit between the tyres, its because the petrol pumps machine may not have perfect accuracy. Also it does go up 2-3 psi after driving a bit, that's normal.

I would suggest the 70% visibility sunfilm, even on the windsheild. Apart from just making the cabin much more bearable to sit in, while in direct sunlight, it will also save the plastics on the door handles and all which are known to get sticky.
Old 21st February 2018, 17:41   #1643
BHPian

Hi guys,

After a lot of confusion and discussions here on T-BHP, I finally narrowed down my used car search to Octavia or Jetta or 3 series (if I can find a good car in that budget) in around 13-17 lacs budget. My usage is a bit high (30k kms per year, mostly on highways) and I intend to keep the car for max 8 months - 1 year and change it again. So, today I came across a 2013 BMW 320d Prestige model, white color, 96k kms done which I'm getting at a decent price.

And, there are some points to consider:

1. Already he's a 2nd owner.
2. 96k kms on the ODO is making me think once again.
3. Owner says windshield cracked due to a cricket ball hit and hence it was replaced (I feel that's a cooked story. Had an accident or something?)
4. Headlamps are supposed to be Halogens. But, the owner says he replaced them outside with Bi-xenons (Again, result of an accident?)
5. While switching off the engine, there was a notification - REAR FOG LAMP FAILURE. Does it need to be taken seriously?
6. He says all the servicing was done outside only from the time he bought i.e. from 2015.

All these above-mentioned points are making me re-consider buying that car.

BUT
I had a test drive of the car. Engine sound, gearbox, suspension, steering, brakes, AC - everything seems to be in perfect condition. No abnormal noises or behavior whatsoever.
I opened the bonnet and checked clearly. No signs of any accident or repainting whatsoever.

So the major of my many concerns - Is 96k really high mileage for 320d that I should stay away from it?

Also, existing owners - can you please let me know the service schedule of this car? Any major service required at 1 lac km or in near future?

I know this car sounds a little bit dangerous, but when I drove the car, it actually felt like a 2-year-old car or something. The drive is actually that good. And THAT is the reason for my post.

Experts and existing owners - please help me and advise on what to do. Thanks in advance

Last edited by madhav14 : 21st February 2018 at 17:49.
Old 21st February 2018, 18:16   #1644
Distinguished - BHPian

Better to stick to a car that is fully serviced at the A.S.S.

It's not a good idea to use a BMW or similar if you are on budget and also have high usage. Can get expensive.

There are no major reliability issues but just the best case ownership costs for 30k km 1 year can be:

40K oil and filter change
40-60k for brake jobs
50-60k for tires
50k insurance
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 21:38   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Hi guys,

And, there are some points to consider:

2. 96k kms on the ODO is making me think once again.

So the major of my many concerns - Is 96k really high mileage for 320d that I should stay away from it?

Also, existing owners - can you please let me know the service schedule of this car? Any major service required at 1 lac km or in near future?
Hi!

I am also in the same boat as Madhav is. I am also on the verge of finalizing a 2013 Sport variant which has done 1 lakh KM. But in my case the vehicle has been serviced by the ASS all along and still has the Service package till August 2018. The tyres are new (Michelin) and and also getting B2B insurance with IDV 30 lakhs. The car looks neat and drives supremely.

I too need advice from the forum members on the service schedule and the reliability of a 1 lakh Km covered 320d engine. Is there any major service to be done as per schedule for a 1 lakh KM above car? Also would like to know what would be an ideal price range for this car.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd February 2018, 06:51   #1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
Hey, I see that you're from Hyderabad and I drive pretty often to Hyd from Vijayawada. I have couple of thoughts about a remap and I'd like to discuss further. Is there anyway I can get in touch with you or your friend? Or you could email me perhaps.

sweetvar26@yahoo.co.uk

Also, good mods on the car, nothing over the board. I dig it.
Hey thanks! I've since done more on the car, all in good taste. I'll create a new thread.
- new M-SPORT wheel
- new iDrive Infotainment with larger screen, touch control and Nav
- Twin Pipe m Sport kit

Email me at saiboddupalli@gmail.com
sboddup2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:15   #1647

Hi everyone, this is my very first post on team - bhp.
I'm interested in going for a used 320d sports line / luxury line (328i preferable). I have a few questions / doubts if someone can clear them for me please.

1. I work in the merchant navy and that means i'm away for a good 4 months. Is it good idea and worth going for a 320d considering it's a diesel and not good to keep diesel cars unused for a long time? While Im away the car would be sparingly used. Also is it advisable to disconnect the battery incase not used for a long time?

2. What's the best tubeless tyre size and which ones to go for keeping the rims stock? Also since no spare tyre, can a donut tyre be sourced for the same?

3. As this will be a second hand car (on the look out for odo readings no more than 30-35k), if requested will bmw do a quick check up of the car for me before i buy it and how much would be the cost for this?

4. I would want to take the car on long road trips. Does the car scrape through often on big humps and how does the car behave on uneven pot holed roads - offcourse I don't intend to do any off roading with it but I would like the car to be quite reliable on the long road trips.

I'm really in love with the 3 series - F30 and have been debating buying one since last year. Apart from the regular servicing costs, are there any particular major part breakdowns associated with the F30 that i need to be prepared for?

Thanks

Addition to my above post, I've also read on this forum about hydrolocks on bimmers, are bummers really that prone to engine hydrolocks? Would it need to be driven extra cautiously in Mumbai heavy rains compared to other sedans? I wouldn't take the car out to water logged areas but say would driving on an expressway during the monsoons cause any trouble especially when being hit by the waves caused by cars passing by?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th February 2018 at 08:43.
Old 25th February 2018, 01:53   #1648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona View Post
Hi everyone, this is my very first post on team - bhp.
I'm interested in going for a used 320d sports line / luxury line (328i preferable). I have a few questions / doubts if someone can clear them for me please.

1. I work in the merchant navy and that means i'm away for a good 4 months. Is it good idea and worth going for a 320d considering it's a diesel and not good to keep diesel cars unused for a long time? While Im away the car would be sparingly used. Also is it advisable to disconnect the battery incase not used for a long time?

2. What's the best tubeless tyre size and which ones to go for keeping the rims stock? Also since no spare tyre, can a donut tyre be sourced for the same?

3. As this will be a second hand car (on the look out for odo readings no more than 30-35k), if requested will bmw do a quick check up of the car for me before i buy it and how much would be the cost for this?

4. I would want to take the car on long road trips. Does the car scrape through often on big humps and how does the car behave on uneven pot holed roads - offcourse I don't intend to do any off roading with it but I would like the car to be quite reliable on the long road trips.

I'm really in love with the 3 series - F30 and have been debating buying one since last year. Apart from the regular servicing costs, are there any particular major part breakdowns associated with the F30 that i need to be prepared for?

Thanks

Addition to my above post, I've also read on this forum about hydrolocks on bimmers, are bummers really that prone to engine hydrolocks? Would it need to be driven extra cautiously in Mumbai heavy rains compared to other sedans? I wouldn't take the car out to water logged areas but say would driving on an expressway during the monsoons cause any trouble especially when being hit by the waves caused by cars passing by?
1) Doesn't really matter whether its a diesel or petrol in the case of these vehicles, leaving either unused for 4 months will be as good/bad as one another. Thought I would recommend you get it started and driven till it reaches optimum temperature at least once every 2 weeks if not more frequently.

2) Stick to the stock 225/50 r17 and get whatever tubeless tyre you think services your purpose, be it a comfort or sport oriented tyre.

3) BMW will do a thorough inspection of the car, costs about 10-12k and is fully worth it.

4) The car will be reliable on long trips, but you have to watch out for bad roads. Keep in mind the relatively low profile tyres while going over rough roads or into big potholes. It won't scrape speed breakers unless it is a very short, but steep speed breaker (the kinds found on rural roads).

No part brakedowns as such you need to be aware of.

Also with regards to hydrolock, my rule for BMWs is that if you see water, take a u turn. That being said, it won't have any issue on the expressway or with other cars splashing water here or there.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 11:08   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepeshh View Post
Hi!

I am also in the same boat as Madhav is. I am also on the verge of finalizing a 2013 Sport variant which has done 1 lakh KM. But in my case the vehicle has been serviced by the ASS all along and still has the Service package till August 2018. The tyres are new (Michelin) and and also getting B2B insurance with IDV 30 lakhs. The car looks neat and drives supremely.

I too need advice from the forum members on the service schedule and the reliability of a 1 lakh Km covered 320d engine. Is there any major service to be done as per schedule for a 1 lakh KM above car? Also would like to know what would be an ideal price range for this car.

Thanks in advance.
I would pay no more than 10-12 lakhs for it. Enough good 2013 cars with less than 50K kilometers seem to be available for around 15 lakhs.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 15:01   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I would pay no more than 10-12 lakhs for it. Enough good 2013 cars with less than 50K kilometers seem to be available for around 15 lakhs.
Thanks Monsoon, but here out in Kerala a 30-50K driven Prestiege variant costs around 20 lak and the Sport variant costs 22 to 24 lakh and all of them without the Service pack for 2012-13 models.

Last edited by deepeshh : 25th February 2018 at 15:03. Reason: addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks