Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 16:43   #1861
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

If the keys are lost, no scope of finding them, you're better off with getting the whole lock set changed to avoid misuse if someone else finds your lost key. Lockset includes door locks, and the key cylinder for the steering column. Key has to be produced to match the VIN of the car, and any random set cannot be coded to your car by BMW.

Insurance shall cover this if the clause in mentioned as parts are expensive and it does take about 2-3 weeks for any premium car to get the new matching keys and locks.

If you push them they might do it sooner but I don't expect miracles.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 07:52   #1862
BHPian

Technical recall campaign for BMW 320d:

Hi,

I got an email from BMW stating the following:

"During the ongoing quality analyses at BMW, it was determined that the exhaust-gas recirculation cooler of your engine may develop leaks over the service life of the vehicle. The escaping coolant could create flammable deposits combined with the soot and oil deposits in the exhaust-gas recirculation cooler. This may lead to localized scorching on the intake system or to a vehicle fire.

We would like to ensure that your vehicle is in perfect working order. The exhaust-gas recirculation cooler in your vehicle should therefore be checked and, if necessary, replaced with an optimized variant."

They said it's a full day job. I have asked them which batch of vehicles are being recalled.

Did any of you receive this communication?
Kelly66 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 09:27   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post
This looks like part of EGR recall, related thread (BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!).
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 20:08   #1864
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Technical recall campaign for BMW 320d:

Quote:
Yes, I received this too. This is a part of the global recall by BMW on their N47 20d engines for the EGR cooler issue.

In my case, I had already proactively pushed my Service Advisor to check my car for this (since I was nervous about the potential fire issue), and had got my car cleared for EGR cooler issues. However, I still received this email. So I will go again sometime soon and double check that everything is OK.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 20:13   #1865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
In my case, I had already proactively pushed my Service Advisor to check my car for this (since I was nervous about the potential fire issue), and had got my car cleared for EGR cooler issues.
So they said its fine and no need for replacement? Did they give you anything in writing?
Old 4th July 2019, 20:18   #1866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So they said its fine and no need for replacement? Did they give you anything in writing?
They verbally told me everything is fine and no replacement is required. However, they did not give me anything in writing that time. Therefore, I will use this opportunity to get this checked formally again and get a formal verification in writing.

In fact, that time the SA told me that although in my case no replacement was required, BMW have asked them to replace the EGR coolers anyway. The part was not in stock, and they were going to order one for me and contact me. They never contacted me again after that. So somehow that thread was left unresolved.

This time I will check it properly and formally close this topic with written confirmation.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 20:56   #1867
BHPian

Quote:

I got this mail too. My car was inspected and they determined that it required an EGR replacement. Apparently most cars are fine with servicing, however about 50 cars in Mumbai need an EGR replacement (incl. mine).

I recommend that you send your car for a check up. The EGR components are imported from Germany so there may be a lag if it requires replacement.

Hope this helps
Carmageddon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2019, 14:38   #1868
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Long term update on the 320D

I knew i had to get Bilstein B6's as i had enough of bouncing around like the old gen Verna, thanks to fellow member d_himan for answering all my queries and other members who had upgraded to B6's. Finally tdc automotive had B6 in stock after waiting for 2 months and i wasted no time in ordering them, costed around 56k all inclusive whereas dealers in India were asking 1 lakh+
Did you consider B12 kit? I've been recommended this by Karan Shah who does mods and upgrades, to reduce the floaty ride of my 330i LCI. The Sport steering is also not as planted as the regular one in my view, compared to the 320d. I'm considering the B12 but reviews and feedback, especially on the effects of lower ground clearance will help.
Old 15th July 2019, 23:37   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
Did you consider B12 kit?I'm considering the B12 but reviews and feedback, especially on the effects of lower ground clearance will help.
I honestly never considered B12's or anything which would further lower the car. The F30 by default has pretty low ground clearance and is quite low slung compared to Audi or Mercedes, i did not want to further lower it since i love touring in my car and the road infrastructure here is not very kind to cars with low clearance.

Have spent some good time post B6 upgrade now and it is the best mod i have done to any of my car ever. The ride is slightly busy at low speeds and you do feel the road surface more compared to stock set up but the Bilstein's absolutely smother undulations and expansion joints. Even in a straight line, the car feels way more hunkered down since that floaty feel is totally gone, body roll in corners and lane changes has also reduced, rough patches, undulations or uneven roads - the car just dismisses everything.

Earlier when i used to see expansion joints or undulations, i used to slow down since you get the up/down motion in cabin but now i keep the pace.

The B6's are also more silent in operation compared to stock dampers, the faster you go, the better the car behaves.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th July 2019 at 10:49. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
coolboy007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 15:17   #1870
BHPian

Just got a call from the service center about the coolant exhaust-gas recirculation cooler recall. Will be sending in the car tomorrow.

Issue for me is the way these car companies make it sound. The lady at the other end of the phone made it sound like BMW was doing me a favour by changing this and in no sense they said the word recall, they call it complimentary technical service. I was also warned that if I don't send it in and an issue develops I will be paying 27000 to change the system.
kartavya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 20:52   #1871
Distinguished - BHPian

My car's key fobs are showing low battery. I asked the service centre and they quoted approx. 700 Rs for the same. I checked the battery specs by opening the key fob and it a Sony CR 2450 battery. A pack of 5 ( by Panasonic) is available for a mere 300 Rs on Amazon. It is safe to change the battery myself right? Has anyone else tried it? Is there any programming that is needed once you change the battery in the key fob?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 21:45   #1872
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My car's key fobs are showing low battery. I asked the service centre and they quoted approx. 700 Rs for the same. I checked the battery specs by opening the key fob and it a Sony CR 2450 battery. A pack of 5 ( by Panasonic) is available for a mere 300 Rs on Amazon. It is safe to change the battery myself right? Has anyone else tried it? Is there any programming that is needed once you change the battery in the key fob?
It is safe to change the batteries in any good watch repair shop.

I have done it with my X3 keys. No programming required. In any case change one key battery at a time just to be safe.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 22:13   #1873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
It is safe to change the batteries in any good watch repair shop.

I have done it with my X3 keys. No programming required. In any case change one key battery at a time just to be safe.
Sir it appears to be a very simple job that can be done at home. I managed to easily open the key fob and expose the battery.

This Youtube video is extremely informative about the same:
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 23:29   #1874
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Sir it appears to be a very simple job that can be done at home. I managed to easily open the key fob and expose the battery.

This Youtube video is extremely informative about the same
Agree 100%

But the watch repair shop would be / was my source for these batteries hence went there and got it done. For a battery plus nominal charge in 5 minutes.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd July 2019 at 00:42. Reason: Removing url from quoted post
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 13:27   #1875
BHPian

Hi guys!

I've got an offer for a June 2018 320d Sport Shadow edition, around 12k on the odo, for around 34L (registration inclusive). It's from a BMW Premium Selection dealer. Sound like a good deal? Or should I push for a bargain considering the kind of discounts that BMW was pushing in the final phase of the outgoing model? Honestly my budget is around 30L, so trying to get it down to as close to that as possible. Thoughts?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks