Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2019, 14:08   #1906
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You mentioned 2016 manufactured unless you meant 2017 then 26-26L would be more like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I think the price difference in the used market between the 3 & the 3GT is more like 2.5 lakh or so.

22-23 lakh will only get you a low mileage 2014-2015 pre-LCI 3 series. I think your 2016 mfg, 2018 reg car will be worth much more - probably 27L would be a good price, but I won't be surprised if the asking price is even higher!
Yeah the asking price is 32L . I am planning to quote 29L
Old 23rd August 2019, 17:56   #1907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Folks - what would be a fair price to give for following -

- BMW 320d M Sport 2017 model HR Reg 14k kms done, Warranty till 2019
- BMW 320d M Sport 2018 model KA Reg (manufacturing 2016) 19k kms done, Warranty till 2020
- BMW 320d M Sport 2017 model TN Reg 22k kms done Warranty till 2019
If it helps, I just bought a 320d Luxury Line, 15000km done, Oct 2017 manufactured and March 2018 registered from Infinity Cars Mumbai for 31L all inclusive. I think I overpaid a bit, but had lost a previous car due to stalling over haggling so just bit the bullet to avoid regrets later.

I didn't want to ask, but since I'm thoroughly enjoying the car and find it worth the money, do you guys think I overpaid significantly? (Please say no )
Old 23rd August 2019, 21:58   #1908
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebanaff View Post
If it helps, I just bought a 320d Luxury Line, 15000km done, Oct 2017 manufactured and March 2018 registered from Infinity Cars Mumbai for 31L all inclusive. I think I overpaid a bit, but had lost a previous car due to stalling over haggling so just bit the bullet to avoid regrets later.
Maybe a lakh or two over but that's expected from a main dealer. At least it would have a thorough going over

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd August 2019 at 22:02.
Old 25th August 2019, 12:27   #1909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Folks - what would be a fair price to give for following -

- BMW 320d M Sport 2017 model HR Reg 14k kms done, Warranty till 2019
- BMW 320d M Sport 2018 model KA Reg (manufacturing 2016) 19k kms done, Warranty till 2020
- BMW 320d M Sport 2017 model TN Reg 22k kms done Warranty till 2019
Based on my experience of buying a 320d (in July 2018) which was both within warranty and BSI, I would say for the KA car you mentioned, about 32L will be a fair price, and 31L will be a great deal. TN cars will be cheaper by a couple of Lakhs. I have no clue about the HR prices.

Quote:

I didn't want to ask, but since I'm thoroughly enjoying the car and find it worth the money, do you guys think I overpaid significantly? (Please say no )
I think you got a great deal. I don't think your overpaid at all.

I feel there is a lot of misunderstanding about the prices of used 3-series based on hearsay stories. Even when I was searching for a car, a lot of people asked me to quote much lower prices than the asking prices, and the only result was I ended up losing a couple of good deals.

There was one 320d with only 9,000 km on the odo for the asking price of 35L. Just the next day I went back to make an offer 32L, but it was already sold out.

Even you had similar experiences as mine. So based on our real-world buying experiences, and experiences of missing out on a good deals, it is clear to me that an "almost new 3-series, within original warranty and BSI" gets sold very quickly at close to the asking price. And this will not be under 30L in most cases, at least in cities like Bangalore, where there is a great demand for these cars (and the original OTR prices were already higher than other cities).

So the prices will be above 30L, but within that range, anything close to 30L is a very good deal. So 31L is a good deal in my view. This too because the prices have reduced after the G20 launch. Last year, the same car would have costed 34L, at least here in Bangalore.

If you try to negotiate harder, you will end up losing a good car (as both you and I experienced). So in the end, I learnt a lesson, and asked myself this question: "Do I want a great car or a great deal?" . The answer was I want a great car. So after that, I bought the first car I saw which I truly loved - the one that had the same color and the same trim line I wanted. And that is how I ended up with my dream car - a Red Spots Line 3-Series!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 25th August 2019 at 12:35.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 12:43   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Dr.AD .... well put. I wanted a great car - so closed the deal around the same price as you mentioned :-D Now waiting eagerly for loan to come through.
Old 30th August 2019, 19:15   #1911
ais
BHPian

Has anyone noticed a rustling sound from the B Pillar side of the window top, while going over rough surfaces? It stops if the window is lowered by 1-2mm.

It seems to be a widespread problem as per this thread on BimmerpostF30-

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post25197501
Old 1st September 2019, 14:05   #1912
BHPian

Hi dudes,

Had a couple of questions about upgrades I'm planning for my 320d F30 LCI Luxury Line.

1. Does anyone know if the M Adaptive Suspension is available as an official upgrade in India? I find the suspension super bouncy and want to do something about it without voiding warranty.

2. Planning to upgrade tyres to tubeless. Most likely would go for Continentals. Planning to stick to 17", so should I stick to the stock size? Does a staggered setup with wider rear tyres make sense? And are then any major downsides to tubeless outside of potential annoyance from BMW? Any negative effects on driving dynamics?
Old 1st September 2019, 14:25   #1913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi dudes,

Had a couple of questions about upgrades I'm planning for my 320d F30 LCI Luxury Line.

1. Does anyone know if the M Adaptive Suspension is available as an official upgrade in India? I find the suspension super bouncy and want to do something about it without voiding warranty.

2. Planning to upgrade tyres to tubeless. Most likely would go for Continentals. Planning to stick to 17", so should I stick to the stock size? Does a staggered setup with wider rear tyres make sense? And are then any major downsides to tubeless outside of potential annoyance from BMW? Any negative effects on driving dynamics?
Surprising that you find the lci suspension setup bouncy. Its actually a fair bit better than the pre lci.

What tyre pressure do you run? For Mumbai I would recommend 30psi only, for inside city usage.

Unfortunately BMW doesn't offer the adaptive suspension as an upgrade, but Bilsteins are a good option if you don't mind a bit more of body movement at lower speeds with a much flatter and better damped ride.

In terms of tyres, its got to be the Michelin PS4, and stick to 225s all around. I've found with 225s even at the rear, the 20d engine feels a lot more peppy and its more easy to get the tail out.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 16:54   #1914
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Like Akshay said, BMW does not offer the adaptive M suspensions for upgrade. But they do offer the M sport suspensions which are stiffer than the regular suspensions. This comes as an official kit. It costs around 2L for the kit, plus installation charges. If you want to avoid any warranty concerns, this is the way to go.

Bilstein B6's are equally good and provide you a significant improvement in handling at a lower cost. A friend installed B6 on his 328i and is very satisfied with the setup.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 00:01   #1915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Surprising that you find the lci suspension setup bouncy. Its actually a fair bit better than the pre lci.

What tyre pressure do you run? For Mumbai I would recommend 30psi only, for inside city usage.

In terms of tyres, its got to be the Michelin PS4, and stick to 225s all around. I've found with 225s even at the rear, the 20d engine feels a lot more peppy and its more easy to get the tail out.
So, by bouncy I don't mean on the highway, or on expansion joints. I'm talking about city running at around 30-40kmph, with bumps on the road. I just FEEL them a lot more than I think I should. I think maybe crashy is the word I'm looking for? I have been running 32 in the tyres. When it comes down to 30, I sort of feel that the acceleration is a bit more sluggish. Is that a thing? Or is it just in my head?!

On a sidenote: My TPMS always seems to be around 1 or 2 points off from what I've filled in myself. I've checked this against the machine at the petrol pump, as well as my portable compressor. Is this normal? Because I'm actually quite confused as to what the actual pressure is in my tyres at any given point of time. eg: Yesterday, my front left was reading 25, which made me stop and refill to 32. Once I had filled up, it read 29. After a reset, it read 30. Today it's back to 28. It's weird :-/

About tubeless tyres, my main question is, would my acceleration suffer when shifting from 225/50/R17 RFTs to tubeless of the same size (PS4 or ContiSportContact 5s)? And is the ride significantly better, and worth incurring the potential wrath of BMW service in the future?

I extended my BRI by a couple of years, so while the Bilsteins are tempting, I don't think it's worth voiding my warranty over them just yet. The M Sport suspension kit is interesting (and expensive!). I'm trying to find someone with a standard M Sport 320d/330i to take for a spin. I imagine the ride there would be harsher than what I currently have? Also with M Sports running lower profile tyres, probably wouldn't be an accurate reflection of how the ride would be on my R17s, no?

Last edited by zebanaff : 2nd September 2019 at 00:02.
Old 2nd September 2019, 13:21   #1916
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, by bouncy I don't mean on the highway, or on expansion joints. I'm talking about city running at around 30-40kmph, with bumps on the road. I just FEEL them a lot more than I think I should. I think maybe crashy is the word I'm looking for? I have been running 32 in the tyres. When it comes down to 30, I sort of feel that the acceleration is a bit more sluggish. Is that a thing? Or is it just in my head?!

On a sidenote: My TPMS always seems to be around 1 or 2 points off from what I've filled in myself. I've checked this against the machine at the petrol pump, as well as my portable compressor. Is this normal? Because I'm actually quite confused as to what the actual pressure is in my tyres at any given point of time. eg: Yesterday, my front left was reading 25, which made me stop and refill to 32. Once I had filled up, it read 29. After a reset, it read 30. Today it's back to 28. It's weird :-/

About tubeless tyres, my main question is, would my acceleration suffer when shifting from 225/50/R17 RFTs to tubeless of the same size (PS4 or ContiSportContact 5s)? And is the ride significantly better, and worth incurring the potential wrath of BMW service in the future?

I extended my BRI by a couple of years, so while the Bilsteins are tempting, I don't think it's worth voiding my warranty over them just yet. The M Sport suspension kit is interesting (and expensive!). I'm trying to find someone with a standard M Sport 320d/330i to take for a spin. I imagine the ride there would be harsher than what I currently have? Also with M Sports running lower profile tyres, probably wouldn't be an accurate reflection of how the ride would be on my R17s, no?
Understood what you meant now, and that is pretty much because of the runflats. It will reduce a fair bit with the tubeless change. You may be right about the acceleration with 30, but its a compromise for a bit of comfort.

Stick to the larger pumps, I've found it to be pretty much accurate, maybe a psi here or there. If you fill fair after the tyres are warm, the pressure will drop after it cools overnight. That's why its recommended to fill when the tyre is cold.

Acceleration will be similar, infact the Michelins will probably grip better than the RFTs. And yes the ride is significantly better, nor will BMW really trouble you about tubeless.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th October 2019 at 02:38. Reason: spacing
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 17:48   #1917
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
Has anyone noticed a rustling sound from the B Pillar side of the window top, while going over rough surfaces? It stops if the window is lowered by 1-2mm.

It seems to be a widespread problem as per this thread on BimmerpostF30-

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post25197501
Sorted by BMW Service Center (Krishna Motors, with their fabulous service), by applying a special (and reportedly very expensive) 3M tape on the sportline gloss trim. Hope it lasts.

This is a problem encountered occasionally. Some X1 had it too.
Old 4th September 2019, 18:20   #1918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
Sorted by BMW Service Center (Krishna Motors, with their fabulous service), by applying a special (and reportedly very expensive) 3M tape on the sportline gloss trim. Hope it lasts.

This is a problem encountered occasionally. Some X1 had it too.
Can you pl share the pictures which will be helpful to the others in the similar situation.
Old 5th September 2019, 12:42   #1919
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_i View Post
Can you pl share the pictures which will be helpful to the others in the similar situation.

Here are the pictures. Please click on the thumbnails for clear pics.

The tape has to be pasted on the gloss trim plastic exactly as shown. The top edge should protrude about 1-2mm above the felt beading/rubber, as shown in the first picture. The tape is by 3M, but it's an internal supply within BMW so I do not know the type/name.

Last edited by ais : 5th September 2019 at 12:45. Reason: Additional information provided
Old 5th September 2019, 20:35   #1920
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I honestly never considered B12's or anything which would further lower the car. The F30 by default has pretty low ground clearance and is quite low slung compared to Audi or Mercedes, i did not want to further lower it since i love touring in my car and the road infrastructure here is not very kind to cars with low clearance.

Have spent some good time post B6 upgrade now and it is the best mod i have done to any of my car ever. The ride is slightly busy at low speeds and you do feel the road surface more compared to stock set up but the Bilstein's absolutely smother undulations and expansion joints. Even in a straight line, the car feels way more hunkered down since that floaty feel is totally gone, body roll in corners and lane changes has also reduced, rough patches, undulations or uneven roads - the car just dismisses everything.

Earlier when i used to see expansion joints or undulations, i used to slow down since you get the up/down motion in cabin but now i keep the pace.

The B6's are also more silent in operation compared to stock dampers, the faster you go, the better the car behaves.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/newre...eply&p=3940500

Coolboy, AjayPJayraj specifically, and others on Bimmerpost who have described their experience with Bilstein B6, a BIG Thank You! Without you, I would never have taken the plunge.

I'm not someone who would normally deviate from company specified norms, whatever the product. However, I had the past experience with 320d Sportline that was better planted on the road in Sports mode compared to my present 330i. Where I had maxed out with the 320d with my 80 year age Mom with full confidence, in the 330i, I was jittery at 120kmph on the Eastern Peripheral Expressway. This is probably due to the 330i's Variable Sports Steering, which is rather light.

So just 3000km and 6 months into my ownership of the 330i, I decided to go for it. During the instillation yesterday, I was as nervous as a a to be father waiting for the delivery, the cancellation of suspension warranty adding to the worry.

The B6 are longer than stock shock absorbers. Once installed and off the lift, the car stand higher than usual, especially the front. A short drives around the workshop settles the car height to normal. Then comes the wheel alignment. No adjusments required, but do get it done for peace of mind. (Also will check entire suspension after 1000km- service will be due by then- for anything unusual).

Then comes the test run. Steering was slightly off centre, and adjusted quickly.

As described by Coolboy and Ajay, the car feels like an aircraft in mild turbulence, a bit jiggly, at speeds of 10-20kmph on rough surfaces, such as pavers. Increase speed, and the undulations are soaked up. A short drive yesterday once free after installation, up to the Himalyan Expressway toll plaza and back to Panchkula convinced me that this will be a special experience when done full on.

So today afternoon, I took the car through its 'paces'. Full Sports mode. The red signal light at the start of the bypass of Pinjore/Parwanoo/Kalka towards Timber Trail. A KM ahead, before the first sharp right turn- a large hump. Couple of months back, I took off with a 5 Series on my left at the signal. He went ahead with confidence while my 330i leaped in the air on that hump!. So that hump was the litmus test. Today, the car stayed glued to the road, hump and the sharp right. After that, the expansion joints, undulations et al, DECIMATED. Cornering was flatter. Braking was sharper.

The undulations at low speed take only a 100 or so KMs to get used to. The ride quality is 'busy' as described by peers, but not uncomfortable at all.

BMW should have supplied the 3 series with the B6.

One word of caution. The B6 in 3 series will tempt you to push the car over rough surfaces and expansion joints. But remember, every machine and its parts have limitations. The tyres will still hit rough edges with great force, and the brakes will work harder to slow the car. If you push hard based on the B6's ability, you'd be wearing out other components that much faster. Just a thought.

Mom and I looking forward to trip to McLeodganj in October!
ais is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks