Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2020, 23:16   #2011
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Is that a mandatory service, or did they do it without your consent? 5K for sanitization is just insane!
I was told by the service advisor that due to the covid-19 pandemic, vehicle sanitization is a required procedure that needs to be performed and would cost Rs.5000. I personally did not inquire about this a lot as I understand that the service engineers need to protect themselves from getting infected but the amount is absolutely shocking!

Last edited by dealer : 19th May 2020 at 23:19.
dealer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 00:41   #2012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
I personally did not inquire about this a lot as I understand that the service engineers need to protect themselves from getting infected but the amount is absolutely shocking!
That is not the apt explanation by service guys and this would be another add on by most workshops to fleece customers. I have lost count of so many inventions these guys do like condensor cleaning, mech care etc. These add ons would increase everywhere because of loss of revenue in last few months.
The 3 series costs 20-22k to get serviced and to pay 25% of that amount for sanitising the car is insane. My car has brake fluid change due in june and then service in july, to pay 10k in 2 months just for sanitising the car, well would love to see what they are using.
If all the bank branches/supermarkets tomorrow start using sanitisation tunnels, they can not expect customers who visit to pay for it, the customer is there to give them business and honestly they should ensure their workers and the customers are safe from this virus.
Unless the driver who comes to pick up my car is bringing some machine to disinfect the car before sitting inside and then does the same while dropping it off, i can not fathom the 5k charge. Would love to see myself being proved wrong by some video from bmw or dealer.
Most manufacturers would use plastic covers on steering, gear level and seats and that is where their sanitise drive would end, anyways i would personally sanitise each and every corner of car accessible when it comes back from service.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 20th May 2020 at 00:43.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 01:24   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
That is not the apt explanation by service guys and this would be another add on by most workshops to fleece customers.
The 3 series costs 20-22k to get serviced and to pay 25% of that amount for sanitising the car is insane.
If all the bank branches/supermarkets tomorrow start using sanitisation tunnels, they can not expect customers who visit to pay for it, the customer is there to give them business and honestly they should ensure their workers and the customers are safe from this virus.
Do share your experience when eventually you send your car in for service. I really want to know if this was an instance of the workshop fleecing a customer or a procedure that BMW has mandated for all its cars that come in for service.
dealer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 23:57   #2014
BHPian

I'm facing a peculiar issue with my 320i. Recently when i had sent the car for service, the SA informed me that the front and rear brake pads have 10mm and 4mm of life left respectively and my idrive shows a life of 26000 and 21000 km respectively. Everytime i brake however, there is an audible loud whining noise that seems to be the wear indicator. Could there be any other reason for the sound? Also isn't 4mm of brake pad too little for a range shown of 21000km??
Old 26th May 2020, 00:44   #2015
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm facing a peculiar issue with my 320i. Recently when i had sent the car for service, the SA informed me that the front and rear brake pads have 10mm and 4mm of life left respectively and my idrive shows a life of 26000 and 21000 km respectively. Everytime i brake however, there is an audible loud whining noise that seems to be the wear indicator. Could there be any other reason for the sound? Also isn't 4mm of brake pad too little for a range shown of 21000km??
4mm is very less. 3mm is borderline and the lowest you can push. My Jetta's brake pads had upto 4mm left too but the brake pad wear indicator still made noises.

Don't trust the idrive too much. It might be faulty calibration. No way on earth your rear brake pads are going to the 21K km mark. Get them changed and get your idrive recalibrated ASAP.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 04:38   #2016
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Check out the below post on the discussion about brake wear indicator and iDrive's brake life numbers.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4793927
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 09:17   #2017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Check out the below post on the discussion about brake wear indicator and iDrive's brake life numbers.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4793927
I understand that the Idrive numbers are just a broad indication and should be taken with a grain of salt but if the physical wear indicator is constantly screeching on the rotor should I still wait of it to reflect on the idrive?
Old 26th May 2020, 09:33   #2018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I understand that the Idrive numbers are just a broad indication and should be taken with a grain of salt but if the physical wear indicator is constantly screeching on the rotor should I still wait of it to reflect on the idrive?
If the pad thickness is less than 5mm and if the pad has reached physical wear indicator, then it is definitely time to get it replaced. If the pad has reached the physical wear indicator, it should have definitely given a warning for pad change. Get that checked.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 13:08   #2019
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The pad wear sensor is only on one pad, possible one of the other ones have worn out.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 19:32   #2020
BHPian

Here is an interesting question for those who own the F30 320d. How long can one practically keep this car for?

As in how reliable is this particular model?

Mine is 4.5 years old. Has been meticulously maintained, serviced well on time, has been driven single handedly by me, sits under 2 car covers and is practically as good as new.

So far no issues (touch wood). However, at the back of my mind, I am still unsure as to how this will perform 5 years and beyond into it's life cycle.

I know this particular model was introduced in 2011. Has anyone here kept it for the last 9 years. If yes, did you go through any major/minor issues during it's life cycle?
Old 12th June 2020, 12:06   #2021
BHPian

BMW has not released any new updates for the iDrive system on it's official update site in over a year.

Any idea what's up with that? Is there a different site to update the software? How do you go about updating the software now?
Old 12th June 2020, 13:44   #2022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
Here is an interesting question for those who own the F30 320d. How long can one practically keep this car for?

Mine is now 6.5 years old and has done 68k kms. Feels and runs like a new car even today. The left front shocker was replaced under warranty but apart from that it hasn't required any work whatsoever apart from the scheduled service. It is even running on stock battery till date which even battled this Covid lockdown successfully.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 21:37   #2023

I booked a service slot earlier in the week for for my 320d.They gave me a slot for today. Drove down to Infinity Cars Turbhe and handed over the car for an oil change and replacement of a couple of filters. My car is under BSI and was due for a service in March. Interesting experience given that they can accommodate only 10 cars a day and have 4 technicians available. They promised to return the car in the evening which they did. I could see them getting organised for the Covid era with hand sanitizers and seating arranged for social distancing. Everyone was wearing masks and I felt quite comfortable engaging with the service team. Infinity like most dealers has made the sanitation jig for the cars mandatory with 3 packages ranging from a Basic to a full Monsoon check worth Rs 7500. The monsoon package includes a check up of the drain plugs, wipers , Aircon etc. I chose the basic package for Rs 1500 which involves the sanitising of the car interiors. I found they had cleaned the interiors and fixed a green sticker on the windscreen.
Mission accomplished returned home with the car running very smooth and relatively less traffic.
Outlander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 22:46   #2024
anb
BHPian

Quote:

F30 was launched in July 2012. So the oldest car is hardly 8 years old. Mine is 5 years, 7 months old, 63k done and running reliably with out any issues. Abs sensors were replaced twice under warranty.

Last edited by anb : 13th June 2020 at 22:48.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 21:49   #2025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Well, I have a 2017 F30 320d and I plan to keep it as long as I can. It is running absolutely great as of now and I still enjoy driving her every single time. So there is not even a question of change in my mind. And so far she has been as reliable as my other car - Maruti SX4. That says a lot about the reliability of the F30. Apart from regular maintenance as required by CBS, there is absolutely nothing that the car requires.

I have many friends who own F30s too, and none of them have had any reliability concerns. And all of us use the car a lot and drive a lot even on rural roads.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks