Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post
Components used for Digital dashboard (this is just my terminology):

* OBD bluetooth dongle
* 10" Android tablet
* Realdash app (free)
* DVR recording app (free)
* Car Magnetic holder to keep the tablet stable in front of iDrive
Hi Kelly66, impressive DIY there. I've recently bought a 330i Sport and was wondering if I can just plug in an old BT ELM327 dongle into the OBD port and use Torque OBD Pro?

Are there any risks in just reading from the OBD port? No coding is of course possible or intended.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 09:45   #2042
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi Kelly66, impressive DIY there. I've recently bought a 330i Sport and was wondering if I can just plug in an old BT ELM327 dongle into the OBD port and use Torque OBD Pro?

Are there any risks in just reading from the OBD port? No coding is of course possible or intended.
Rather than the cheap ELM327 adapters get a branded one like OBDlink MX+.

Just check iOS compatibility if you use an iphone.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 12:20   #2043
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.

Generic ELM327 dongles may not cause any harm but would not give accurate readings and may not even pick up some of the readings. I am using the Vgate iCar Pro BT dongle which supports both IOS and Android. Of course, there are more expensive ones as mentioned by Vid6639.

You can give it a try!
Kelly66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 16:06   #2044
BHPian

I'm using a Vgate Wifi OBD adapter that works with almost every app that doesn't require their own branded adapter. Apps like Btool, BimmerLink & DeepOBD for BMW & VAG are worth trying out for in-depth data logging.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 07:19   #2045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Rather than the cheap ELM327 adapters get a branded one like OBDlink MX+.
Thanks. Strictly an Android fan for the foreseeable future!

Quote:
Thanks.

Generic ELM327 dongles may not cause any harm but would not give accurate readings and may not even pick up some of the readings. I am using the Vgate iCar Pro BT dongle which supports both IOS and Android.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I'm using a Vgate Wifi OBD adapter that works with almost every app that doesn't require their own branded adapter.
Thanks, did you both buy them off Amazon India or any other reliable online source? China sellers are totally out r now, hence asking.

Again, I can see multiple models listed. There seems to be 2 types, one WiFi & the other being Bluetooth. Which one is preferred?
Old 12th July 2020, 09:29   #2046
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Strictly an Android fan for the foreseeable future!

Thanks, did you both buy them off Amazon India or any other reliable online source? China sellers are totally out r now, hence asking.

Again, I can see multiple models listed. There seems to be 2 types, one WiFi & the other being Bluetooth. Which one is preferred?
I bought it from Aliexpress. The same model is available in Amazon: https://www.amazon.in/Bluetooth-Scan...s%2C418&sr=8-1

When I researched I found that Bluetooth is better for Android. I use the same for my Bimmercode tweaks too and it works fine. Moreover, your tablet Wifi will be free for hotspot if you use BT.
Old 12th July 2020, 11:06   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
My Digital Dashboard
Very nice! What magnetic holder have you used to make the tablet sit so flush against the iDrive? A picture would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12th July 2020, 11:50   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
Very nice! What magnetic holder have you used to make the tablet sit so flush against the iDrive? A picture would be appreciated. Thanks.
This one: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 18th July 2020, 12:19   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
My Digital Dashboard:

I also tried installing a WiFi rear camera but since the cigarette lighter does not keep the power on when the engine is off I had to switch on the camera every morning (camera battery used to die overnight) after unlocking the doors, which doesn't make sense. I have sold that camera and still looking for an alternative wifi mini camera which turns on automatically when I unlock the door. A camera without a battery backup should serve the purpose.
Friends, above functionality has been achieved. Actually, I remembered that this rear camera setup was pending only when I posted the above message.

This will be useful for 320 Prestige model only since others would have stock rear view camera.

It takes about 45-50 secs to auto connect to my tablet's wifi. Tested this morning.... by the time I unlock (power supplied from usb) from a distance of 40 m and get in and settle down, it connects itself when I open the V380 pro app on the tablet or mobile (Android or IOS).

App gives option to record or take a photo and store either on SD card or tablet based on events like sudden movement, etc.

Components needed:

* Wifi rear view camera (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
* V380 pro app (free)
* 3m USB cable to power the camera from the USB port in centre console

Attached a short video (reversing at 8-9 kmph speed) () and few pics. A 40 sec video takes about 3 MB of space. Included 1 pic which shows the HUD (after cable shifting), Instrument cluster and the Tablet together.

Note: Since it is originally not built as a car rear view camera they have only provided for a vertical inversion but no lateral inversion. So, while reversing what comes from right is actually from the left. Will write to the software developer requesting for this feature.

Also there is a slight jitter as seen in the video but serves the purpose and integrates well with my digital dashboard!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-20200718111441_13657929_screenshot.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20200717_191805_onfireabhi.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20200717_191542_onfireabhi_li.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20200717_192023_onfireabhi_li.jpg  

Kelly66 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 12:58   #2050
BHPian

So after a long Gap - I’m able to travel back to NCR - Noida residence where my F30 has been parked since the lockdown started in March.
Planning to get the car back in shape and drive back to Mumbai.
The F30 was covered & parked in a basement but has not been driven or moved at all for last 4 months.
Battery is original from 2015 Oct.
Tyres are relatively new installed in October 2019.
Any pointers on revival? I have booked an appointment with Deutsche Motoren but would appreciate some cautionary tips and pointers
Old 20th July 2020, 13:15   #2051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanj947 View Post
So after a long Gap - I’m able to travel back to NCR - Noida residence where my F30 has been parked since the lockdown started in March.
The F30 was covered & parked in a basement but has not been driven or moved at all for last 4 months.
Any pointers on revival? I have booked an appointment with Deutsche Motoren but would appreciate some cautionary tips and pointers
The original F30 batteries usually last for 6-7 years, sometimes even more. If the car doesn't start, just get it jump-started and then drive for 20-30 Kms, you should be fine.
Yakuza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 13:42   #2052
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I'am contemplating buying a used 320d, 2017 Jan Registered, 2016 manufactured 3 series, DL number. The car has BSI and warranty till Jan 2022 and is immaculately maintained, also has ceramic coating worth INR 50K done on it. Done 47000 Kms

• Asking price is around INR 23.5 Lacs - do you think this is a fair price or should i be quoting lower given that I only have 6.5 years with it after I buy it. What is the best price I should be offering?

• Secondly, even tough the BSI package is active till Jan 2022, how much would i need to set aside for a yearly maintenance / breakdown cost for a running of about 12000 kms per year.

• Also, are there any known issues with 320d for 2017 model year which i need to be aware of?

• Is the BMW 360 check-up (INR 10-12K) worth it?
Old 20th July 2020, 13:51   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
The jump starting terminals are under the bonnet even though the battery is in the boot.

Ensure that you jump start with the cables connected under the bonnet and not directly at the battery terminals, as that can damage the battery electronics!
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 19:30   #2054
BHPian

Hi all!

Sharing experience of service in the COVID era.

Since I had a warning light for the brake fluid, I had taken an appointment for 11th July. Infiniti has opened a new service center in Lalbagh area in Central Mumbai.

Earlier, it was a service station for Ford / Honda. It has ample space and had enough service bays.

Post parking the car you undergo a thermal screening for temperature, get your hands sanitized post which you are allocated a service advisor when you reach the reception.

The SA took my complaint. Also informed me of compulsory sanitisation package. I chose the basic one for 1500/-

Had to go pick up the car in the evening. Since I had BSI, I was not charged. Car was washed and cleaned.

On 14th July, the car stated showing warning lights on console of ABS /with warning that please drive safely etc. So sent the pictures to the SA who advised to bring the car back. Car went back on the 18th of July. Apparently the right rear wheel sensor was damaged and hence replaced. I did not pay for sanitisation.

The car was ready in the evening so picked it up. The approximate cost for sensor was Rs. 14,000 & Rs. 4,000 for labor. It was covered under BSI. Car was washed and was ready.

It was a positive experience overall but given the current situation would like to keep service visits to minimal.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Dear BHPian,

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st July 2020 at 21:26.
amidoc is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th July 2020, 15:40   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Update -
Wonder of wonders!!- the car started easily as if it had just been parked overnight.
No need for jump starting etc.
There were no issues barring a service due reminder for brake oil replacement.
Also got it checked at Deutsche Motoren, brake oil replaced and everything else is perfect - As per them the battery is in good condition and doesn’t need replacement for now
Says a lot for BMW quality

Getting set for the road trip to Mumbai now - would greatly appreciate any pointers/updates on state borders/ restrictions as I will cross UP, Haryana, Rajasthan, Gujarat & Maharashtra
sanj947 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks