Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2013, 20:42   #196
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
I beg to differ here. I actually did some very thorough first hand research on this as backseat comfort and space was a priority for me. While the front seats of the 5er are way more comfortable than the 3, they're extremely bulky and fat leaving very little space for the backbenchers.
I did the following test. Keep both cars (3&5) next to each other. Sit in the front passenger seat and bring it to a comfortable position (I'm 5ft 11). Go and sit in the back seat. First of all visually, you will see the distance between the back seat and front is bigger in the 3. The backseat under thigh support is almost same in 5 (maybe a couple of mm better, hardly noticeable for average backseater) but what use is it if your knees end up crashing against the front seat. I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of under thigh support and have some kneeroom instead so that I can at least move and easily get in and out. Also noticed that the 5's backseat is noticeably harder. In addition to this, the harder suspension on the 5 makes it more uncomfortable than it actually is.

I did this test over 4-5 times as I could not believe how the 5 ended up being less spacious than the 3. I thought I was doing something wrong. Do try this and give me your POV.

I tested a march 2012 registered 520d. It had only the comfort and sport driving modes. It also had no music streaming over bluetooth. Just phone connectivity for calling. I believe both these functions were added to some later models but there is no cut off date. Mr. Deepjaju will have to go check what car he's being offered.

One thing that's absolutely necessary but missing in 320d is lumbar support. I would've really liked that
I have actually done something similar. In my friends circle there are 5 f10 owners and 3 f30 owners amongst others so I have actually spent a fair amount of time in each. I also sat in the back for almost 100km on the tbhp review too. Now the 5 is definitely wider and more comfortable but the 3 has similar if not more legroom. I'm 6ft4 and maybe this is why we find a difference, but I can say for sure the 5s back seat is more comfortable for me.

As for the suspension the 3s rear suspension isn't as flat as the 5 at speeds above 60 which can get irritating after a point.

The 520d I saw with those features was from the last quarter of 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Actually Lumbar support is present in the Sports line. Also I noticed the front seats of the luxury line is deep inside the car while the sports cause of its thick leather I suppose is noticebly higher in position.
Those are side bolster adjustment buttons and not lumbar support.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 09:11   #197
BHPian

Does anyone know if there is an option to retrofit the car with navigation ?
I heard it can be done on the 5 series f10 but what about the f30 320d ?
Old 19th May 2013, 10:06   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is an option to retrofit the car with navigation ?
I heard it can be done on the 5 series f10 but what about the f30 320d ?
It can't be done on all F10s. Visual indicator is if you have 8 button idrive and 8 inch screen, then you probably have the right hardware to proceed with navigation retrofit. Two antenna cables, 4 connecting pins, 2 T codes and map data.
Old 19th May 2013, 10:22   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
It can't be done on all F10s. Visual indicator is if you have 8 button idrive and 8 inch screen, then you probably have the right hardware to proceed with navigation retrofit. Two antenna cables, 4 connecting pins, 2 T codes and map data.
But the F10 has the space to change your screen as well in the dash. While the 320 doesn't have space to install a bigger screen. So would it not be still possible if I got the entire 8" display and the idrive ?
Old 20th May 2013, 15:08   #200
BHPian

Quote:

But the F10 has the space to change your screen as well in the dash. While the 320 doesn't have space to install a bigger screen. So would it not be still possible if I got the entire 8" display and the idrive ?
Why go thru so much trouble when you have navigation on your phone ?
Old 21st May 2013, 06:47   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You mean the 10 inch screen. No f10 comes with an 8 inch screen. The only f10s you can retrofit nav on are the older 530s and the 535s since only those had the bigger screen.
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:10   #202
BHPian

Hey guys..
Does BMW give the option to purchase a space saver spare tyre for the F30. If it doesn't does anyone know where to buy one from ?
Old 22nd May 2013, 19:04   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys..
Does BMW give the option to purchase a space saver spare tyre for the F30. If it doesn't does anyone know where to buy one from ?
Just bought it. For Rs. 26750 including taxes. From the dealership. They insisted that I pay full advance as they were importing it on order.
Old 25th May 2013, 09:42   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Just bought it. For Rs. 26750 including taxes. From the dealership. They insisted that I pay full advance as they were importing it on order.
Bluebeem I don't know what I will do without you. Every query i have you come to my rescue.

So I have one more advice to take from you

I insisted on my dealer to check if the sports plus is available and yesterday I got a call saying its available. They are offering Black with black interiors or mineral grey with black interiors for a price of 40.50L OTR around 3L more just for navigation, bigger screen and hard disk. Is it worth it ?
And seeing your pics am a fan of the saddle brown interiors. How is the everest grey interiors in your opinion ?

Note from Support : Please go through the rules. Not more than 2 smilies per post are allowed.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th May 2013 at 01:06. Reason: Note Inline
Old 25th May 2013, 10:02   #205
BHPian

Quote:

Bluebeem I don't know what I will do without you. Every query i have you come to my rescue.

I insisted on my dealer to check if the sports plus is available and yesterday I got a call saying its available. They are offering Black with black interiors or mineral grey with black interiors for a price of 40.50L OTR around 3L more just for navigation, bigger screen and hard disk. Is it worth it ?
And seeing your pics am a fan of the saddle brown interiors. How is the everest grey interiors in your opinion ?
Deepjaju I had enquired about the 320 some time back and I was being offered the Sport Plus at 60000 more than Sport Line. This quote was from Deutsche Motoren, Moti Nagar, New Delhi.
Also just check the year of manufacture.
Old 25th May 2013, 11:12   #206
BHPian

Quote:
That's unfortunate, the dealer cannot stock a spare tyre. Its just 26K. And how long did it take for the dealer to 'import it on order'?

Today feeling totally tired of experiencing authorized dealership. Was discussing the X3 with M bumper kit. Not a single person at the dealer could give answers.

BTW, with the space saver, how does the boot look like?
Old 25th May 2013, 11:53   #207
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks !

The sports plus sounds like a fail to me. 3,00,000 for GPS? Thats major! Please do check the make of the car. According to me it's a 2012 make which means there should be no bluetooth music streaming, no digital odo and lots of other things. (See my review). BMW initially imported CBUs. This may be one of those cars. Do check with the Delhi dealer that Swift_vdi mentions. For 60,000 over the regular price it may be okay. But again no sunroof and lots of other goodies missing. I would prefer the wind in my hair (sunroof) and use my phone instead as GPS.

In any case, I would not recommend spending such a huge amount for GPS only.

I don't like the Everest grey interior much. Have a couple of friends who have this interior in Q7s, this colour doesn't age well. Each small spec of dirt and stain is visible on it.

Personally I love the saddle brown or black. The only reason I didn't go for the black was because it doesn't feel or look as premium as the saddle brown.

P.S. Saddle brown is only available in the Luxury.

Here's what I recommend if you want to spend 3 lacs.

A tuning kit (pic attached). Dealership quotes 1.18 lacs plus 5k for fitting. Will turn your 320d into a rocket ship. Increased HP, Torque, Gear Response and Mileage. As a complimentary thing they will replace all BMW badging with //M badging :clap. You can see Akshay1234's review of this kit for better info.
A new exhaust system (added performance and the noise of a 530d) 30k quoted by the dealer.

An M Sport body kit - side view mirrors will be carbon fibre, //M bumpers front and back with larger air intakes, more downforce. Looks brilliant ! Costs about 2.5 lacs.

Quote:
That's unfortunate, the dealer cannot stock a spare tyre. Its just 26K. And how long did it take for the dealer to 'import it on order'?
Well I did an in-depth discussion with the sales head. Apparently BMW has run into problems with the customs dept and lot of their spares are lying at the Indian port but not being cleared. I guess it's the same reason why BMW india has been slapped with a 650cr fine for evading some duties.

They said it would take 3 months but it arrived within 30 days. Will post a pic if you want.

Quote:

Today feeling totally tired of experiencing authorized dealership. Was discussing the X3 with M bumper kit. Not a single person at the dealer could give answers.

BTW, with the space saver, how does the boot look like?
Not surprised.

I called ludhiana, Chd, delhi, mumbai and bangalore dealerships for this tuning kit. Nobody had a clue !

Finally wrote a curt email to contact india criticising BMWs disinterested and illiterate staff. Within a day they appointed a dedicated after sales lady who was polite enough to first get my space saver within 30days. And she got me the tuning kit info within 24 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-image2761327459.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-image1658879145.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 25th May 2013 at 14:46. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 25th May 2013, 17:39   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks !

Well I did an in-depth discussion with the sales head. Apparently BMW has run into problems with the customs dept and lot of their spares are lying at the Indian port but not being cleared. I guess it's the same reason why BMW india has been slapped with a 650cr fine for evading some duties.

They said it would take 3 months but it arrived within 30 days. Will post a pic if you want.

Not surprised.

I called ludhiana, Chd, delhi, mumbai and bangalore dealerships for this tuning kit. Nobody had a clue !

Finally wrote a curt email to contact india criticising BMWs disinterested and illiterate staff. Within a day they appointed a dedicated after sales lady who was polite enough to first get my space saver within 30days. And she got me the tuning kit info within 24 hours.
650 Cr fine for evading custom duties! Parts stuck in customs! Was this person on morphine? If I sum together all the cars that BMW has sold since 2007, it totals to about 35000 units. That means 'some' custom duties would result in duty evading of Rs. 1.85 lac per car!!! That cannot be. All car would not have consumed so many parts that the duty component per car for spare parts is 1.87 lacs.

The parts stuck in customs for 650 Cr cannot be true. Else, we would have BMW BHPians complaining about. The good part is that BMW's parts catalogue is online. Punch in your chassis number and off you go hunting for parts. Order it over the counter against part payment.

BTW, did your space saver come with the jack and spanner as a kit? Or is it just the wheel itself?
Old 25th May 2013, 17:58   #209
BHPian

Quote:

650 Cr fine for evading custom duties! Parts stuck in customs! Was this person on morphine? If I sum together all the cars that BMW has sold since 2007, it totals to about 35000 units. That means 'some' custom duties would result in duty evading of Rs. 1.85 lac per car!!! That cannot be. All car would not have consumed so many parts that the duty component per car for spare parts is 1.87 lacs.

The parts stuck in customs for 650 Cr cannot be true. Else, we would have BMW BHPians complaining about.

BTW, did your space saver come with the jack and spanner as a kit? Or is it just the wheel itself?
I'm surprised you aren't aware of this. It was all over the news couple of weeks back. Apparently BMW imported Semi knocked down kits under the banner of "COMPLETELY KNOCKED DOWN KITS" thus evading massive duties of about 20% (I assume they were much more than 1.85L per car).

The last I read in the news, BMW said the customs department was conducting an inspection at their plant. No news after that.

Please don't accuse the poor sales head of being on morphine. (LOL funny). This should help.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0800986_1.html

http://www.firstpost.com/business/bm...ks-765637.html

Quote:
The good part is that BMW's parts catalogue is online. Punch in your chassis number and off you go hunting for parts. Order it over the counter against part payment.
You mean at their internal system at the dealership or from home ? Do tell!

I got a complete bag with holders for spanner and all other required equipment. The holders lock the kit onto the floor of the boot so that the bag doesn't move while driving. Seems like I should show you a pic
Old 27th May 2013, 12:43   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Bluebeem,

Congrats for finally getting a space saver

Also did you get a jack & other tools with the kit ?

If you could share some more details of the same with pics will be helpful.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks