Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2020, 18:51   #2131
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Can anyone tell me the OEM battery specification for the F30? Mine is a 2013 320d model.
My 2013 F30 328i had a 90AH battery from factory which was replaced with a 92AH battery from BMW itself.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_2683.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_2685.jpg  

Yakuza is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 01:25   #2132
BHPian

Getting a Red S/S button is quite the no-brainer, but getting an additional 10BHP was the secret, very private bonus that is only available to DIYers that go down this path..

I took the traditional route and removed the switch from the dash, rather than go with that sticky pull out method.

I also went for a Matt Red button, rather than a Gloss Red one, simply because the original button was Matt finished. Turned out perfect for the way my aesthetics align.
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20200904_141354_bokeh.jpg

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20200904_141452_bokeh.jpg

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20200904_151706_bokeh.jpg

This was done at home, trim tools involved, in about 20 mins, with time taken to wonder how I've not broken anything yet. Otherwise, it should take 5 mins, max.

More functional, rather than aesthetic mods, coming up.

Last edited by Moontan : 27th December 2020 at 01:27.
Moontan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 16:06   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
M sport steering
Had received the steering last week but yet to get it installed as some harness which makes the paddles work is missing.
It's not a harness but a long wire that you need. That wire is any good grade electrical wire, available everywhere. Even BMW provides this 'kit' as 4/5 wires that you need to solder to make one long wire. Here's a guide to getting this done along with what to code. As the wheel already has paddles fitted, this should take no time at all with a good FNG and Bimmercode.

https://www.thicf30.com/f30-paddle-shifters-retrofit
Old 19th January 2021, 07:40   #2134
BHPian

My family car Maruti SX4 was still not showing any signs of slow down after 12 years and looked good for another 5 years atleast. The only issue faced was a hard power steering when turning left and the Maruti ASS has suggested a replacement of the motor.

The Covid lockdown gaves us more time to explore options and hence I began to consider to own a car for the "Sheer Driving Pleasure" and began to explore the classified portals. Was lucky to come across a new dealer "Pre Car Mart" at Bangalore who was very prompt in arranging the test drive at my home.

The car was a 2015 model and driven for less than 25K on the odometer. The dealer confirmed that they had their sources to check that there was no accident and fully serviced at Navnit Bangalore. Only the Bridgestone Tyres looked worn out and needed a replacement that costs around 65K.

The deal was sealed for 23L and took delivery on the 14th Aug 2020. Getting used to lower seating postion as compared to the SX4. But once you adjust the seat height and angle, you are really comfortable.

Its a joy to drive in city as well as a light tap on the acclerator is all that is needed to bridge the gaps in traffic. The sport mode is only useful for the highway runs as this tightens up the power steering and the engine response time.

The 320D luxury line model 2015 came with the factory fitted parking sensor but was missing the reverse camera.Decided to go for the wireless camera option to avoid opening up the dash.

Autovox Wireless Reverse Parking Camera:

Found a wireless reverse parking camera from Auto Vox and ordered it from Amazon for 17K. Took 3 weeks to arrive and have got it installed in 30 min by a freidly neighbourhood car accessory installer.

The installation of the wirless camera was quick and took less than 30 min. The wireless transmitter goes into the boot and one end of the wireless needs to be connected in paralled to the reverse parking lights. The other ends connects to the car body for earthing.

The monitor is around 4.5" and comes with a windshied mount and the car charger. My installation guy did a good job to conceal the wires within the glove box and the A pillar

The quality of the picture has been decent and sufficient for parking purposes. Also works well in low light conditions as it has an infrared LED.

This camera has increased my confidence in reversing into tight spots along with the factory fitted reverse sensors that gives a beep when objects are nearby. The frequency of the beeps increases as you near an object when reversing and this also displays as a yellow line on the monitor.

DDPAI Dash cam

Another accessory I installed was a dashcam from DDPAI purchased from Amazon. There is an option to purchase the "Hot wire" kit along with this dashcam so that the dashcam can record even when parked. The 64 GB card supports video recording for the past 12-13 hrs.

The neighbour installer was a smart young guy named "Akmal". We checked for the presence of a fuse box below the dash but could not find any. Guess BMWs are built a bit different. The next option to "Hot Wire" the dashcam was to take power from the OBD port and Akmal went ahead with this option. I also told him to give me a switch to turn off the dashcam when not needed in my house garage. This should also prevent the battery from getting drained if the car is not used for 3-5 days.

Blue Tantra Mike

At times I have faced an issue that the car bluetooth will not pair up with my android phone. As a backup, I went for the the Blue Tantra wireless mic that works well. There is a wire that needs to be plugged in to the Aux in port and a USB wire plugged in for the charging. Luckly BMW had both of this in the armrest box next to the driver and was a quick intallation by me.

Bridgestone Potenza Run Flat Tyres

The tyres from the first owner were nearing the end of life close to 25K and decided to replace them with the same as the OEM tyres.

Found a friendly dealer behind the Leela Palace Bangalore and he preordered the tyres for me after I confirmed on the phone. Installation and wheel balancing/alignment was quick and done within 90 min. Costed 62.5K

Driving Experience
Have now driven close to 3K in the last 4 months with 2 quick outstation trips to Hognekal and a days drive with the windows down team. Its been a joy to drive this machine on good roads. The power in the sports mode is awesome and makes any overtaking a breeze. Only need to watch out for those huge speedbreakers and take it slow. Though the official ground clearance is 145 mm, the stiif suspension does not sag even under full load and if driven slowly, the speedbreakers dont pose a threat.

The mileage is great for a 2L diesel with an aveage of 12Kmpl in Blore traffic and 18Kmpl on the highway runs.

Car Maintenance

My first experience of BMW automated service reminders was when I started getting a message to replace the brake fluid within a few weeks of driving.
Took the car to Deutsche Motoren Service center at Whitefield and the SA also advised a brake system check. The total came to around 7k including sanitisation in times of covid.

I had got introduced to the service Manager Mr.James thru a mutual friend and he was a friendly guy who advised me to go for the BSI plus package that included the brakes +discs for 3 or 5 years. James told that that a set of 4 discs + rotors for the 3 series would cost around 1.5L.

Considering that my driving would average around 12k per year, decided to sign up for the 5 year BSI Plus package that covered 60K km. This costed just above 3L but gives peace of mind. Additinally BSI cover is honored by all BMW dealers in India as they will get reimbursed directly from BMW corporate.

The normal yearly service for a 3 series diesel comes to around 25K and my first service in November was covered by the BSI plus package

Dislikes
There isnt much to dislike in a BMW 320D given the way it handles and the drive experience. Yes the space saver wheel does take up valuable boot space and hence you cant travel with big suitcases and would have to use smaller soft bags.
The Airconditioning works well only when the temperature setting is at 18C or below. The air flow at the rear vent could have been better

Lastly yes the transmission tunnel does make it difficult for a fifth adult passenger for long drives but kids wont complain
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmwbhp1.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmwbhp2.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmwbhp3.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20210117_111428.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20210117_111816.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20210117_111504.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20210117_111958.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20201205_080801.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20201205_175454.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-202006449702_20200930_03_22_13_6.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20201202_154402.jpg  

indrangiri is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 08:03   #2135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrangiri View Post

The car was a 2015 model and driven for less than 25K on the odometer. The dealer confirmed that they had their sources to check that there was no accident and fully serviced at Navnit Bangalore.
The deal was sealed for 23L and took delivery on the 14th Aug 2020.
Congratulations, 2015 model and 23 Lac for a 320-D Probably can happen in Banglore only.

You have depended too much on the broker, perhaps you should have asked suggestions here before. Hope, the car is as promised.

For benefit of others, it's always recommended to pay little to the BMW dealership and let them do a complete checkup before sealing the deal.

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th January 2021 at 08:06.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 08:44   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congratulations, 2015 model and 23 Lac for a 320-D Probably can happen in Banglore only.

You have depended too much on the broker, perhaps you should have asked suggestions here before. Hope, the car is as promised.

For benefit of others, it's always recommended to pay little to the BMW dealership and let them do a complete checkup before sealing the deal.
This sounds on the higher side even for Bangalore. My neighbor picked 2016 mfg, 2017 registered 520d for 27L just last month. Due to difference in variant maybe?
CosmicWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 09:00   #2137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrangiri View Post
My family car Maruti SX4 was still not showing any signs of slow down after 12 years and looked good for another 5 years atleast.
The car was a 2015 model and driven for less than 25K on the odometer. The dealer confirmed that they had their sources to check that there was no accident and fully serviced at Navnit Bangalore.
Congratulations on the car. I have that exact same combination - I have an old SX4 that is still going fine and then a pre-owned 320d!

Enjoy your 320d and wish you many happy miles.

Regarding a rear view camera, I never felt a need for that since the parking sensors do the job perfectly fine. Also, 320d is very precise even in reversing moves and somehow I can park it more precisely that the SX4, even without a rear view camera.

Regarding the AC, ensure that the horizontal "scroll wheel" (for the lack of a better word) with the blue and red temperature setting below the front vents is moved all the way to the blue side! This wheel is an additional temperature setting for the air coming out of the front vents only. Many times, people keep it on the red side, and then even with low temperature setting (e.g. 18C), you still get relatively warm air and you feel the AC is not working great. Once I moved this wheel to complete blue side, I get nice cool air even at 21C and now I have settled happily on 21C for my typical drives including drives in the hot conditions.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 09:44   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Congratulations on the car. I have that exact same combination - I have an old SX4 that is still going fine and then a pre-owned 320d!

Enjoy your 320d and wish you many happy miles.

Regarding a rear view camera, I never felt a need for that since the parking sensors do the job perfectly fine. Also, 320d is very precise even in reversing moves and somehow I can park it more precisely that the SX4, even without a rear view camera.

Regarding the AC, ensure that the horizontal "scroll wheel" (for the lack of a better word) with the blue and red temperature setting below the front vents is moved all the way to the blue side! This wheel is an additional temperature setting for the air coming out of the front vents only. Many times, people keep it on the red side, and then even with low temperature setting (e.g. 18C), you still get relatively warm air and you feel the AC is not working great. Once I moved this wheel to complete blue side, I get nice cool air even at 21C and now I have settled happily on 21C for my typical drives including drives in the hot conditions.
Thanks for the tips Dr. AD. Following in your footsteps to upgrade to a 320D after years of happy motoring with the SX4. Good tip on the "AC scroll wheel" and will have it checked.

Parking sensors do the job most of the time to inform on obsatacles.The camera helps pickup low lying objects like big stones lying in the path of the rear wheels. Somehow I feel comfortable always seeing the rear camera once before reversing in public places. Look forward to catching up with you on one of the drives from "Windows Down Team"
indrangiri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 08:00   #2139

Hi Guys

I am all set to purhcase a August 2016 manufactured Bmw 320D Prestige with 18,000 kms on the ODO. The price quoted is 18 Lacs (Mumbai) and the car has existing BSI and BRI packages (5 Yrs) and both expire on 11/09/2021. The car is in absolutely mint condition and has been serviced at 15,000 kms.

My running is 15,000 kms per year. I am confused as to which BSI and BRI package to choose OR choose none at all.

I am a newbie and this would be my first luxury car hence i appreciate all the help.

Thanks a ton
podaraditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 08:37   #2140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by podaraditya View Post
Hi Guys

I am all set to purhcase a August 2016 manufactured Bmw 320D Prestige with 18,000 kms on the ODO. The price quoted is 18 Lacs (Mumbai) and the car has existing BSI and BRI packages (5 Yrs) and both expire on 11/09/2021. The car is in absolutely mint condition and has been serviced at 15,000 kms.

My running is 15,000 kms per year. I am confused as to which BSI and BRI package to choose OR choose none at all.

I am a newbie and this would be my first luxury car hence i appreciate all the help.

Thanks a ton
BRI is warranty package and BSI is service package.

BMW offers upto 6 years of BRI (warranty). But the 6th year warranty is very expensive and is double the amount for 5 years. For my 3GT, the 5 year BRI was 1.5L and 6 year BRI was 2.8L. So, the 5 year BRI is sort of a sweet spot and VFM. But if you have the budget, go ahead and take the 6th year BRI as well.

BSI is the service package. If you have a running of 15000 kilometers per year, BSI will be useful. You could take the 8 year / 1.6L km package.
Having said that, BMW offers discounts on parts and labor for cars older than 5 years, and this may also workout cheap for you. Check out what other experts comment on this.
graaja is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 09:00   #2141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys
Thanks a ton
First of all, make sure the mileage of 18,000km is genuine. It is a bit too low for a 2016 car. Further, if the mileage is genuine, check that all required services are done on time and not skipped due to low mileage. If the car is genuinely low mileage and if all services are still done on time, then this looks like a good deal!

Now, coming to your question about BSI and BRI: BRI is extended warranty which you can only take upto 6 years anyways. So at best you can extend it to one more year. However, that one year extension is disproportionately expensive! It is usually worth it if your car has run say 60,000km in 5 years and you expect some potential failures. However, for a car than is run as low as what you are looking at, this may not be necessary. And most importantly, you can choose to extend this any time before your original warranty expires. So you do not have to decide today! Wait till Nov 2021 when the existing warranty expires, and based on your experiences till then, you can take a call that time. Do not worry about this today.

Regarding BSI, now BMW has used car BSI packages that can be taken at any time and at any km, and the "clock" restarts from that point. For 15,000km/year running, it is more or less even situation with or without BSI. You will not go wrong either way. So again, do not worry about this today. Enjoy your car till 09/2021 and take these decisions that time.

In summary, do not make your key decisions based on BSI or BRI. Ensure the car is indeed good, accident free, and is serviced on time, and then enjoy the car!
Dr.AD is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 09:08   #2142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
First of all, make sure the mileage of 18,000km is genuine. It is a bit too low for a 2016 car. Further, if the mileage is genuine, check that all required services are done on time and not skipped due to low mileage. If the car is genuinely low mileage and if all services are still done on time, then this looks like a good deal!

Now, coming to your question about BSI and BRI: BRI is extended warranty which you can only take upto 6 years anyways. So at best you can extend it to one more year. However, that one year extension is disproportionately expensive! It is usually worth it if your car has run say 60,000km in 5 years and you expect some potential failures. However, for a car than is run as low as what you are looking at, this may not be necessary. And most importantly, you can choose to extend this any time before your original warranty expires. So you do not have to decide today! Wait till Nov 2021 when the existing warranty expires, and based on your experiences till then, you can take a call that time. Do not worry about this today.

Regarding BSI, now BMW has used car BSI packages that can be taken at any time and at any km, and the "clock" restarts from that point. For 15,000km/year running, it is more or less even situation with or without BSI. You will not go wrong either way. So again, do not worry about this today. Enjoy your car till 09/2021 and take these decisions that time.

In summary, do not make your key decisions based on BSI or BRI. Ensure the car is indeed good, accident free, and is serviced on time, and then enjoy the car!
WOW what clarity. Thank you so much. This reply does instill lot of confidence in a newbie.

The 18k on the car is indeed genuine as the car belongs to a friend. Nonetheless i will take the car to BMW and run a 360 degree check on it. I will review the service history and look out for any anomalies.
podaraditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 09:58   #2143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 18k on the car is indeed genuine as the car belongs to a friend. Nonetheless i will take the car to BMW and run a 360 degree check on it. I will review the service history and look out for any anomalies.
Great! If the car belongs to a friend and it is a known car, then that is always a welcome thing. Yes, take the car to BMW and do the 360 degree check, and if all is OK, then I think this is a good deal.

I am sure that you are aware that Prestige is the base variant and misses out on many features. But if you are OK with it, then it is a not a big deal. Thankfully, the missing features are mostly superficial (one could argue), except for the paddle shifters, which is the only serious omission. In fact, with the 16" tyres on Prestige, you will get very comfortable ride quality over bad roads (at the cost of slight loss of handling), if that is something that matters to you.

BTW, for this car, there was a global and official recall for EGR cooler replacement (it was a potential fire hazard). Please make sure that is done on this car, and if not, do this ASAP. This is covered under the recall policy, and will be done at zero cost to you. This recall covered the B47 320d in India manufactured before September 2016. Since this car is August 2016 manufactured, it would come under that critical recall.
Dr.AD is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:28   #2144

This is absolutely invaluable advice.

The buyer has clarified that the vehicle was recalled and EGR issue was taken care of. Today i am going to inspect the vehicle once again and finalise on the price. Upon agreement we will send the car for 360 check up and hopefully nothing nasty will come out.

Do you have any areas that i should stress upon while getting the 360 check done. Eg. Battery (considering the car is almost 6 years old)

Crossed my fingers and hoping to seal the deal. Thanks so much for your timely help.
podaraditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:16   #2145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The buyer has clarified that the vehicle was recalled and EGR issue was taken care of.
This is great. Then you do not need to worry about this.

Quote:
Do you have any areas that i should stress upon while getting the 360 check done. Eg. Battery (considering the car is almost 6 years old)
Nothing particularly that I can think of. By all means do a thorough check-up, but I don't see any particular area to stress upon. The F30 320d has been generally a very reliable vehicle and there is nothing specific to worry about.

Regarding battery, yes you should get it checked. You mentioned the car is August 2016 manufactured. So that makes it 4.5 years old. Why do you say 6 years old? BMW batteries last really long (many of my friends had battery changed after 6 years) and 4.5 years should be fine. Further, the iDrive will show warning messages when battery is about to die. So if iDrive is not throwing any errors, I would not worry about the battery (although it does not hurt if you get it checked anyway). However, one reason battery could fail earlier than usual in this car is the unusually low running over time. All of us who had great battery life use our cars a lot and do a lot of highway runs. That keeps the battery healthy. In the case of this car with such a low running, the battery may not have been maintained in healthiest conditions.

Quote:
Crossed my fingers and hoping to seal the deal. Thanks so much for your timely help.
Wish you all the best!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks