Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2021, 12:32   #2146

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

I am evaluating an F30 320d prestige - a Sept 2018 mfg, jan 2019 registered with 20K odd seems in great condition. What’s an appropriate price for this. It doesn’t have any BSI package. What’s a reasonable price range for this model? I’ve been quoted early 30s that I find steep for the model given the age - I’m guessing this model would’ve been bought at late 30s/early 40s in 2019.

There also seems to be a dearth of 1/2/3 year old F30s or G20s in the market based on OLX/Cardekho et al. Is there a place I am not looking?

Thanks
hurtem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 16:22   #2147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtem View Post
I am evaluating an F30 320d prestige - a Sept 2018 mfg, jan 2019 registered with 20K odd seems in great condition. What’s an appropriate price for this. It doesn’t have any BSI package. What’s a reasonable price range for this model? I’ve been quoted early 30s that I find steep for the model given the age - I’m guessing this model would’ve been bought at late 30s/early 40s in 2019.

There also seems to be a dearth of 1/2/3 year old F30s or G20s in the market based on OLX/Cardekho et al. Is there a place I am not looking?

Thanks
Check out carwale too along with olx, and don't forget our own classifieds!

Price is definitely on higher side given there is a top end 320d GT run 9k on one of these portals asking mid-30s.
Also have a look at a slightly older (2016-17) 5 series & E class too if your budget allows you to spend close to 30.

The G20 has very limited units in the pre-owned market and they are commanding a good premium over the F30, and close enough to slightly older but low run F10 530D money.

Warranty in general is 2 years for BMW but many dealers try and slip in 3rd year warranty into the pricing during the sale, so if the buyer isn't aware and has opted for the same, its an additional win.

Mercedes has 3 year warranty standard.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 21:18   #2148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtem View Post
The price is a bit too high, especially for Mumbai. Even in Bangalore (which has significantly higher used car prices than Mumbai), a top-end 320d with BSI and warranty would get that kind of price for a 2 year old car, but certainly not for Prestige. In Bangalore, I had seen a 2 year old Prestige (although with about 30,000km on the odo) on sale for Rs. 29L.

In Mumbai, for a Prestige trim this is high. Maybe 28L could be a good price.

BMW now offers "used car BSI packages" for 320d at about Rs. 1.7L for 3 years/40,000km package. So consider that as an additional cost should you opt for that.

Is the car in extended warranty (the original warranty would have expired in Jan 2021; it is for 2 years)? If it is in extended warranty, then that could be one positive. If not, then the price is certainly too high.

Quote:
You are right about this. I have not seen any G20 in the used car market. Even for F30, it was always hard for find a "lightly" used (1 or 2 years old) car. The used car market is flooded with 5 years old BMWs (just out of extended warranty), but it is not easy to find 1 or 2 year old cars within original warranty. And when you do find a "lightly" used BMW with original warranty and BSI, you would have to pay a premium even in the user car markets.

Having said that, for the car you mentioned, the price does seem a bit too high.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 9th February 2021 at 21:27.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 13:11   #2149

Thank you @DrAD and @lamborghini for your quick responses - confirmed my thoughts. The F30 was sold at what I thought was an expensive price - Not feeling too bad as it didn't seem a significant improvement for the price - I recently sold a 2013 pre-LCI F30 320d.

The lack of availability of newish F30s is making me look at F34s that seem to be a lot more than F30 for some reason. I did check out a couple of F10 520s (there seem to be several over 4 years vintage) - but I am happier with the F30/F34 shapes and proportions for now.
hurtem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 21:06   #2150
BHPian

Wanted to share my experience with regard to my car battery change. I own a 320D F30 LCI and my battery died after 4.5 years. Showroom was quoting almost 46k from Navnit Motors in Bangalore for replacement. The battery brand was BMW AGM which is basically Varta battery. I somehow found the dealer but he said no stock for the next 1 month. He was quoting a price of 24k. When I asked BMW, if i can go with Amaron or exide, they tried to instill fear in me by saying that it may interfere with the complex sensors in the car, and if something happens, you may have to spend double to get it fixed, etc. This attitude I found was quite shocking, esp since some of the employees there were very well known to me. I expected more geniune advice.
Finally, I spent 14k and got a 100 AH Amaron battery which my battery dealer reccomended. He said it is slighly superior to Exide. Battery was a perfect fit and car is working absolutely fine since last one month. I saved whopping 35k!
kiranjoshy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 21:36   #2151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post
When I asked BMW, if i can go with Amaron or exide, they tried to instill fear in me by saying that it may interfere with the complex sensors in the car, and if something happens, you may have to spend double to get it fixed, etc. This attitude I found was quite shocking, esp since some of the employees there were very well known to me. I expected more geniune advice.

Finally, I spent 14k and got a 100 AH Amaron battery which my battery dealer reccomended. He said it is slighly superior to Exide. Battery was a perfect fit and car is working absolutely fine since last one month. I saved whopping 35k!
BMWs come with AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries. These batteries are quite different from the regular car batteries. The battery charge management circuit in the BMW will be designed for this particular type of battery. So, even if you go for an outside source, you need to get an AGM battery. If you get a normal battery, like the BMW dealers mentioned, you may get some issues in the future.

Last edited by graaja : 28th February 2021 at 21:40.
graaja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 21:52   #2152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did you program the car to accept the new battery? Did that programming/coding go fine? The charging rates of AGM batteries are higher than normal batteries, and I am surprised to see that everything is working well. Is the Start/Stop system working too? That is one system that is specifically designed to work with AGM batteries.

I am happy for you that you saved money and everything is working well, but I am not sure if this is a good idea. Anyways, hope this works well for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
BMWs come with AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries. These batteries are quite different from the regular car batteries. The battery charge management circuit in the BMW will be designed for this particular type of battery. So, even if you go for an outside source, you need to get an AGM battery. If you get a normal battery, like the BMW dealers mentioned, you may get some issues in the future.
Completely agree with Graaja. It is OK to get a battery from an external source if one wishes, but it should still be an AGM battery. There are significant differences in the characteristics of AGM batteries and normal batteries, and the whole charging circuit (including alternator) in the BMW is designed for an AGM battery. This could pose some problems in future.

At the least, the heavy duty fast charging meant for AGM batteries will routinely overcharge your regular battery, and it might lead to a premature battery failure.

One last point, I think the location of the battery in the boot is also specifically for AGM batteries. Regular batteries in the boot without any ventilation may be a bad idea.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 28th February 2021 at 21:59.
Dr.AD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 00:33   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I asked BMW, if i can go with Amaron or exide, they tried to instill fear in me by saying that it may interfere with the complex sensors in the car, and if something happens, you may have to spend double to get it fixed, etc.
BMW Dealer is right.

BMW cars are designed to work with AGM batteries ONLY.

Any other type of battery will lead to problems in future.

Return the normal battery and get either Varta AGM battery or BMW AGM battery at the earliest for longevity of your F30.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 00:49   #2154
Distinguished - BHPian

I too switched to Exide 100 AH on my 328i, after the stock battery gave up nearly 9 years later.

I did this after checking with a trusted independent, and also a couple of websites.
No coding was required, all fault codes that popped up due to low battery also disappeared.
Start / Stop works absolutely fine as well.

There is however a sensor placed on top of the battery that needs to be connected back carefully.

I followed this link which helped with how-to remove & install the new battery + old sensor:
https://www.bmwrepairguide.com/bmw-f...es-all-models/
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:49   #2155
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
BMW Dealer is right.

BMW cars are designed to work with AGM batteries ONLY.

Any other type of battery will lead to problems in future.

Return the normal battery and get either Varta AGM battery or BMW AGM battery at the earliest for longevity of your F30.
I never reached this stage, but have gathered that BMW batteries have exceptionally long life. So even if they are expensive, where is the problem if the high cost is offset with longevity?

It makes little sense in owning an expensive car and then cutting corners in maintenance.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 14:13   #2156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
I never reached this stage, but have gathered that BMW batteries have exceptionally long life. So even if they are expensive, where is the problem if the high cost is offset with longevity?

It makes little sense in owning an expensive car and then cutting corners in maintenance.
You're completely right on that.
My stock battery lasted nearly 9 years.

But in my case, the car was completely dead in my driveway one evening, and the exide battery was delivered and installed in 30 min from placing the order.

My other option would have been to flat bed it to BMW / get someone to come & jump start the car.
With me wanting to use the car early next day & moving it before it was blocked by neighbors vehicles, it was a matter of convenience after doing research.
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:32   #2157
BHPian

Fully Agree with Graajaa and Dr A.D.. When we spend upwards of 20L for a preowned BMW or 40L+ in case of a new BMW, does not make sense to go against the manufacturer recommended battery for saving 10-20K.

My advise to friends who want to own a luxury car, please increase your annual service and maintenance budget by a factor of 3X or even 4X.

If you have been spending 15K/year towards servicing a mid size sedan after 5 years, be prepared to spend at least 60K/year for a luxury car after the first 5 years. If you are not financially prepared for this, better to stick to mid range cars.
indrangiri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 06:14   #2158
BHPian

Hello all, I am looking at a 2017 BMW F30 320D M Sport with 20K on it in Bangalore. What is a good price for the same ? Also it is out of warranty and no package. Is it possible to extend the warranty and get a service package.

Another question is a choice between BMW 5 and BMW 3. I also looked at BMW 5 series which is 2018 model, but is about 10 lacs more costly, but with service pack and warranty remaining for another 3 years. What is a better choice ?
shabash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 06:44   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
Hello all, I am looking at a 2017 BMW F30 320D M Sport with 20K on it in Bangalore. What is a good price for the same ? Also it is out of warranty and no package. Is it possible to extend the warranty and get a service package.

Another question is a choice between BMW 5 and BMW 3. I also looked at BMW 5 series which is 2018 model, but is about 10 lacs more costly, but with service pack and warranty remaining for another 3 years. What is a better choice ?
If it helps, a friend got 2017 registered (2016 mfg) 520d with 40k on it for 26L recently and that sounded like a good price (especially from a dealer) . What price are you being quoted?
CosmicWizard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 07:56   #2160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
This should cost around Rs. 24L in Bangalore. This is assuming it is a single owner car. You can take service package anytime now under "used car service packages". However, extended warranty can not be taken once the car is out of warranty. Thus, there is no warranty option for this car now.

Quote:
Which 5 series is this? Is this 530d? If it is 530d, then this is a no-brainer. A 530d that too with warranty and service pack for 10L more is a great deal and I would pick that up any day.

However, if it is a 520d, then I would probably prefer the 320d. 320d will be faster and more fun to drive than the larger and heavier 5 series with the same engine. The main charm of 5-seies is the 30d engine, which makes it a very special car.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 5th March 2021 at 07:58.
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks