Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2013, 09:13   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

TD the 320D yesterday. Finally understood why everyone on the forum keeps talking about BMW 3 series being a driver's car. The driving experience was just unmatched by the other 3 premium car makers. The 8 speed AT box is he best in he class with hardly any lag or jerkiness during gear shifts. The car really responds to your right foot, even the slightest dabs are honoured with a more than enough response. And if you are bored with the car then just shift into the sports mode and the car just transforms into something totally different. Mindblowing feel which I would not be able to any justice by trying to put it in words.

Some very basic points I felt that are missing in the base 3 ( not dealbrakers though):
1. Lack of a light in the Vanity mirrors. Now common. 31L ex-showroom and still no light. Such a basic thing. How much does the company save in omitting this.
2. The plastics behind the front seats is made of some really hard plastic which I disliked. If a tall person sits behind there knee tends to brush against that part and it kind of hurts. Atleast some soft touch plastic could have been used. Still didn't understand the design element here and it was similar even in the 5 series and the A4 I checked the other day. Is there some logical reasoning for this?
3. The beige interiors look very dull as there is an overdose of beige inside the cabin. They should have added a dual tone interior, similar to the Audi which looked much much better with beige and brown interiors. Probably some contrasting mats and car cushions might be able to help change that feeling slightly.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 09:52   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
TD the 320D yesterday. Finally understood why everyone on the forum keeps talking about BMW 3 series being a driver's car.
So what's your decision now? Asking this because I too am sailing in the same boat of decision making process. The baseline is really VFM proposition but then heart always says to go for Sport line.

Would suggest you to wait till year end or January so as to squeeze maximum discount. I have decided to wait it out till January and see if I can get a better deal on Sport line.
Old 1st November 2013, 11:00   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
So what's your decision now? Asking this because I too am sailing in the same boat of decision making process. The baseline is really VFM proposition but then heart always says to go for Sport line.

Would suggest you to wait till year end or January so as to squeeze maximum discount. I have decided to wait it out till January and see if I can get a better deal on Sport line.
I am not sure how much more discount will be available in January. Also if they would not go ahead and increase the prices further.

Car I have decided is going to be the 320D. Variant would be baseline only because my budget is already over stretched and adding the BSI to this is going to make it even more difficult. So cannot consider any higher variants. I am being offered a earlier baseline which didn't come with Xenons ( all other features are exactly the same) at a good deal. Thinking if its worth considering this.
Old 1st November 2013, 11:56   #304
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure how much more discount will be available in January. Also if they would not go ahead and increase the prices further.

Car I have decided is going to be the 320D. Variant would be baseline only because my budget is already over stretched and adding the BSI to this is going to make it even more difficult. So cannot consider any higher variants. I am being offered a earlier baseline which didn't come with Xenons ( all other features are exactly the same) at a good deal. Thinking if its worth considering this.
If I remember correctly you can opt for BSI at the time of first service. Why don't you use the money you had set aside for BSI to upgrade to a variant with Xenons?
Old 1st November 2013, 13:03   #305
BHPian

Quote:

Now you got me thinking again with the possible price increase thing! Did the SA give you any genuine indication of price increase? Please let me know.

Also, could you please PM me the deal you got, if you don't mind. Thanks!
Old 1st November 2013, 13:10   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post

Discounts are highest at the moment. Also because of the new 5 series launch, the older stock of 5 series is going at a huge discount so most customers are opting for that. That way dealers are finding it difficult to get rid of the 3 series stock.

I reckon the best time to buy the car would be now.
Old 1st November 2013, 20:34   #307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Believe me Mohit, get the one with the xenons, even if its a bit of a stretch. You will not regret it one bit later. The xenons with the angel eyes make the front of the car. Not to mention the better illumination at night.

Definitely a must have in terms of looks and function.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 19:13   #308
BHPian

I agree. It makes sense to take the Xenons. I miss it on my car. And the difference in price is not much.

I did read on some other forums about people who have replaced halogens by Xenons. It costs over 2000 Euros, so paying an extra 50k is worth it.

Do check the following post:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808444

It does talk about people who have converted, including one from India.
Old 2nd November 2013, 21:41   #309
BHPian

Folks: delighted to report that I drove home a spanking new 320d Sport yesterday....and falling in love with her every minute since!
Expect an initial review soon...
Omtoatom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 22:22   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Folks: delighted to report that I drove home a spanking new 320d Sport yesterday....and falling in love with her every minute since!
Great! Congratulations! Waiting for review very very eagerly. Could you please PM me the deal you got? Would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd November 2013, 23:26   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Car I have decided is going to be the 320D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Big congrats to both of you on getting the Ultimat3! Eagerly waiting for the ownership thread with lots of pics from Omtoatom. If possible, please inbox me the exact deal that you got and a bit more info.

Quote:
would be baseline only because my budget is already over stretched and adding the BSI to this is going to make it even more difficult. So cannot consider any higher variants. I am being offered a earlier baseline which didn't come with Xenons ( all other features are exactly the same) at a good deal. Thinking if its worth considering this.
I'd strongly suggest you get the one with xenons. Driving a Bimmer with those beautiful corona rings on is a different feeling altogether and as someone suggested above you can get the BSI anytime before the first service. YOLO!
Old 3rd November 2013, 16:55   #312
BHPian

Considering a 320 D, requires inputs on ownership experience

With my Civic ageing well (5.5 yrs now) I have been considering a change for a while now. As things stand now, BMW 320D is first in my list (despite a bit of stretch on budget) followed by Fortuner AT.

Now, I know these two below to different segments but have my reasons to keep these options: 320 D is for ME, to quench the driver in me, and of course to move up the ladder, while Fortuner is for the family man in me (have a family of 4 adults and a 9 yr old).

From what I have read and heard, Fortuner is a no-nonsense long-termer, one that would age well, and offer least headaches & low cost of ownership, while Beemers can be a handful with RFT's, expensive services etc. Hence, my query is more on the cost of ownership of 320 D. I do not want to end up buying a proverbial white elephant, hence want to hear from the current owners on what I should be prepared for if am to go ahead with the 320 D.

1. How much do I need to keep aside per annum for service
2. Is RFT's a definite NO, should I replace them with a regular tubeless, would that void warranty
3. Whats a BMW secure. is this required.
4. Whats a BSI package. My usual running is around 7500 kms a year, do I still need a BSI
5. Would the fifth passenger be a tight fit...? I do once a year trip of some 2500 kms, want to ensure that the 5th passenger is not un-welcome.
6. What else do I need to be prepared for.

Thanks in advance.

Mods: could not find a similar thread hence this, pls fee free to merge if there is one already existing.
alabjarus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 17:22   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Considering a 320 D, requires inputs on ownership experience

I am in the same boat and infact my search went on to a BMW from the Fortuner too. Cannot answer all your queries but some:

1. Please buy BSI plus with warranty extension for the 5 year plan/60k kms. All your serciving costs are covered under that and it costs around 3L. Highly recommended.

2. BMW Secure I didn't understand myself. To me it sounded just like any regular 0% dep insurance cover.

3. The 5th passenger is a strict NO if you ask me. Only if its a kid. Otherwise even if you have 3 lean adults, the one in the centre will not have any leg room.

4. I am not sure if you can take a BMW on a 2500 km trip. Its not meant for that kind of driving atleast in India. There is risk of RFTs suffering a puncture, slightest pools of water can lead to a hydrostatic lock etc. Buy the Fortuner for that purpose.

5. The RFTs can be replaced without any effect on warranty. Only thing is with regular tubeless tyres you would need a spare too which will eat into your boot space.

Overall the 2 vehicles are different. One is a true SUV which will be easy on your pocket to maintain and can serve you for long and can go anywhere.
The other is a vehicle which will do wonders for your image. Driving pleasure is supreme but ownership is going to be costly and there is a limitation to how and where you can use it.

Last edited by drmohitg : 3rd November 2013 at 17:25.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 20:25   #314
Team-BHP Support

Going by my experiences with many Beemers & 2 Fortuners -

Quote:
How much do I need to keep aside per annum for service
Almost Nothing if you buy BSI - you can buy 3 Year or less in begining and later upgrade , they don't penalise and in past used to take only difference prevailing at time of extension , dont know presently

Quote:
Is RFT's a definite NO, should I replace them with a regular tubeless, would that void warranty
Not really , they give 4 Tires Free against any claims in a Year complimentary with new car .

Quote:
Whats a BMW secure. is this required.
- Kind of Zero dep not mandatory but recommended

Quote:
Whats a BSI package. My usual running is around 7500 kms a year, do I still need a BSI
- Highly recommended

Quote:
Would the fifth passenger be a tight fit...? I do once a year trip of some 2500 kms, want to ensure that the 5th passenger is not un-welcome.
I doubt even 4 will do , rear is best for Kids , I have driven 3000 + Trips but alone without any niggles on my 3 Series in past but you should keep a spare tire .

Quote:
What else do I need to be prepared for.
Fun & loads of it - I still miss my 3 despite kind of moving ahead in there line up

Things to Keep in Mind

Resale Value - I lost around 30 % in around a Year for 3 series whereas sold Fortuner at about 10 % less than what I bought
Space - If you must travel with 4 Adults more than 50 % time , 3 will be a no no , better take a longish test drive with everyone and sit in rear for a while .

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd November 2013 at 20:30.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 20:36   #315
Senior - BHPian

Point 5 mentioned by you is a deal breaker and goes againts the 320d.

Here is the excerpt from the official review.

Quote:
This 3-Series can now carry 4 taller adults in acceptable levels of comfort (unlike in the E90 3-Series). However, the rear seat's under-thigh support for tall occupants is severely lacking. Headroom is just about adequate, albeit a 6 footer will have no clearance from the roof. Due to the tall transmission tunnel, the back seat is best suited for two only. Honestly, cheaper cars like the Skoda Superb beat the 3-Series (and C Class / A4) hands down on backseat comfort.
Fortuner is a more sensible purchase, with the conditions laid out by you.

Last edited by F150 : 3rd November 2013 at 20:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks