Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2013, 12:41   #421
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think the X1 is a great buy with the present discounts, as long as you can live with the looks. Personally I find it looks fine, though some people hate it.

You should get about a 5l discount on the on-road price.

The driving dynamics of course aren't as good as the 3 series, but then for most part unless you are pushing it you won't notice it. If you do like to take corners really hard, then its gotta be the 3.

Its got more features than the 3 as you mentioned, but the 3 has real leather while this has leatherette. But navigation and the 12gb hard disk for music are great features, especially on long drives.

The boot I thought was smaller than the 3 series, do check.
Thanks for your valuable inputs, akshay1234.

Looks wise I too find X1 quite okay. Not a beauty like E90 or F30 but certainly not ugly in my eyes. And anyway looks are not that important for me as in our country there is no point in being too attached to the exteriors looks where everyone is trying to starch each other's ride.

About driving dynamics, I live for driving and that too driving through corners but and a big BUT is that now I have a year old kid and he will be traveling 95% of the time with me and I don't want to make him dizzy/faint while I enjoy the trill of cornering. Hence, X1 will do just fine in that department. After all it's a RWD with same gearbox as like in 320d. That's enough for now, may be in future an Evo would come in my life to fulfill that thirst. Fingers crossed!

Navigation, 12gb hard drive, panoramic glass roof are the things that are influencing my decision to go for X1 along with the higher discounts. And these are the features I will be using most of the times.

About leather, thanks for point that out! I didn't realize that. Is there any way I could change the upholstery to leather? I will also miss the red stitching as well which comes with 320d.

May be I can convince myself, saying that I saved one bull's skin by going for leatherette
Old 12th December 2013, 12:46   #422
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post

Navigation, 12gb hard drive, panoramic glass roof are the things that are influencing my decision to go for X1 along with the higher discounts. And these are the features I will be using most of the times.

About leather, thanks for point that out! I didn't realize that. Is there any way I could change the upholstery to leather? I will also miss the red stitching as well which comes with 320d.

May be I can convince myself, saying that I saved one bull's skin by going for leatherette
With a kid in the car of course you won't push it much In that case the X1 makes perfect sense.

I think you seem pretty convinced about it, so go ahead and get it.

Well there is no easy way to change the leather, but honestly it wouldn't be a big deal for me.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 12:54   #423
BHPian

Quote:
With a kid in the car of course you won't push it much In that case the X1 makes perfect sense.

I think you seem pretty convinced about it, so go ahead and get it.

Well there is no easy way to change the leather, but honestly it wouldn't be a big deal for me.
That comment on leatherette, coming from you, makes me feel good about it.

I think it is time to TD X1. I have been in one before but never drove it.
One more question, when is the next update/facelift of X1 coming up? And what all cosmetic as well as under the skin changes are expected?

I think the headlamp design will be changed for sure but that will be in 2015 or so isn't it?

This information would be important for resale 3-4 years down the line.
Old 12th December 2013, 13:13   #424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That comment on leatherette, coming from you, makes me feel good about it.

I think it is time to TD X1. I have been in one before but never drove it.
One more question, when is the next update/facelift of X1 coming up? And what all cosmetic as well as under the skin changes are expected?

I think the headlamp design will be changed for sure but that will be in 2015 or so isn't it?

This information would be important for resale 3-4 years down the line.
The next X1 will be all new, and it also may be FWD going by some reports. It will probably be bigger too. But yes I think that is in mid 2015 at least.

The X1 now already has the white LED rings in the headlamps which look quite nice.

Resale value isn't that great in the X1, but keep it for 4-5 years and it shouldn't matter much to you, especially considering the discounts you are getting now.
Old 12th December 2013, 13:34   #425
BHPian

Quote:
The next X1 will be all new, and it also may be FWD going by some reports. It will probably be bigger too. But yes I think that is in mid 2015 at least.
I hope it comes in 2015-end and is FWD!
Then I can charge a premium during resale.

And yes you are right that with the current discounts low resale won't really matter.

I think 2 years is a long time even if it is an all new car.
Old 12th December 2013, 14:24   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And yes you are right that with the current discounts low resale won't really matter.

I don't have much to contribute to your dilemma, more so since you have sort of made up your mind for the X1. But I hated its looks in the first place. Even the interior space looked inferior to me than the 3 series. Please take a good look at the car before putting down your money. Infact the question arises that why do you want to buy the BMW in the first place if not for enjoying that drive? There are much better cars available at that price point in terms of interior space and comfort for your family. Why splurge on the beemer then?
Old 12th December 2013, 14:27   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Having been on x1 and 3, I would say get the 3, unless you really need that ground clearance. The rear space is a big let down I'm x1, plus personally i liked the interiors of 3 over x1.

If rear space is something, not much important to you and you plan to take this car on highways frequently, get the x1, else 3 is the way to go for me.
Old 12th December 2013, 15:07   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Having been on x1 and 3, I would say get the 3, unless you really need that ground clearance. The rear space is a big let down I'm x1, plus personally i liked the interiors of 3 over x1.

If rear space is something, not much important to you and you plan to take this car on highways frequently, get the x1, else 3 is the way to go for me.
Thanks for your inputs, sameerg001.

I agree with you on the part of interiors because I too feel that the red stitching on the black leather looks and feels much better than X1.

But for lesser cost, I am getting navigation+panoramic glass roof+BMW apps.

Rear space is not that critical for me.

I think high GC is more required in cities than on highways considering the road beautification projects from our municipal intellectuals

And practicality wise, as I mentioned in a post above, I might not be able to use 320d's dynamics as I am a family man now
Old 12th December 2013, 15:18   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I don't have much to contribute to your dilemma, more so since you have sort of made up your mind for the X1. But I hated its looks in the first place. Even the interior space looked inferior to me than the 3 series. Please take a good look at the car before putting down your money. Infact the question arises that why do you want to buy the BMW in the first place if not for enjoying that drive? There are much better cars available at that price point in terms of interior space and comfort for your family. Why splurge on the beemer then?
Hi drmohitg,

I was kind of waiting for your reply
Thanks for the inputs.

Well, I agree that X1 is not an alternative to 3er in terms of driving pleasure but it's the next best thing. Also, interiors of Sport line 320d is feels better than X1 Sport line.

However, I am still not decided as haven't even taken TD of it. Only that I am getting very good offers + on paper it is looking better than 3er in terms of features mentioned above.

And if I can get some of this and some of that, why not?

Edit: Mods, sorry for back to back posts, realized it late. Could you please merge them? Thanks!

Last edited by the_skyliner : 12th December 2013 at 15:20. Reason: Request to merge posts
Old 12th December 2013, 16:16   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

However, I am still not decided as haven't even taken TD of it. Only that I am getting very good offers + on paper it is looking better than 3er in terms of features mentioned above.

And if I can get some of this and some of that, why not?
For Me the X1 didn't work on several levels :
1. Exterior looks are horrible. This is a big ticket premium car that I am buying. And I really don't want to live with that station wagon kind off looks.
2. Interior space was much inferior and honestly I had a very tough time getting into the rear seat with the driver seat set to my position. The same was my criterion in evaluating all the cars and the 3 didn't pose any problem in that regard.
3. The interior lay out and quality felt a step or two lower than the 3. But I checked out the baseline X1 and hence might be wrong here with respect to higher variants.

All in all I just want to ask you one thing. What does the X1 offer you other than the BMW badge? Why not then opt for a vehicle like Yeti or other SUVs? Or the cars like jetta with much more ground clearance than the 3 since you raised that point. Lastly please check the Q3 also then. It looks so much more complete as a car than the X1 and would still give you badge value. Also heard there are equally good deals available on that. Someone recently got around 5l off IIRC on Q3 on the forum.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 16:43   #431
BHPian

Quote:
For Me the X1 didn't work on several levels :
1. Exterior looks are horrible. This is a big ticket premium car that I am buying. And I really don't want to live with that station wagon kind off looks.
Looks are subjective. My wife doesn't like the X1 looks either. But I am really not attached to the exteriors looks of the car. If I do, then even a minor scratch will make me lose my peace of mind which I don't want. And to me X1 looks okay - neither a beauty nor ugly.

Quote:
2. Interior space was much inferior and honestly I had a very tough time getting into the rear seat with the driver seat set to my position. The same was my criterion in evaluating all the cars and the 3 didn't pose any problem in that regard.
Yes, agreed. Interior space is not as great as 3. But I don't need much space as it is me, my wife and a year old kid 99% of the time.

Quote:
3. The interior lay out and quality felt a step or two lower than the 3. But I checked out the baseline X1 and hence might be wrong here with respect to higher variants.
Yes, again agreed. I said this before also that 3's interiors felt much better to me last time I checked both cars. But then again I too checked the baseline X1 and Sport line 320d. so need to consider this point very critically next time I go for TD.

When I sat in the Sport line 3, I was like wow! Never ever I felt so good in any other cars I sat it. I have even traveled quite a much in 530d in Europe but this car still felt much better in terms of overall sporty interiors feeling.

Quote:
All in all I just want to ask you one thing. What does the X1 offer you other than the BMW badge? Why not then opt for a vehicle like Yeti or other SUVs? Or the cars like jetta with much more ground clearance than the 3 since you raised that point. Lastly please check the Q3 also then. It looks so much more complete as a car than the X1 and would still give you badge value. Also heard there are equally good deals available on that. Someone recently got around 5l off IIRC on Q3 on the forum.
As mentioned in above posts, X1 offers me navigation+panoramic glass roof+BMW apps. No other car comes close in terms of features and performance at this price point. And being a front engine+RWD setup it must have balance drive even after high GC. Have to check during TD.

Jetta & Yeti: didn't feel like upgrade from Polo and no premium feel whatsoever. May be I am spoiled by BMW interiors. X1's interiors, though not as good as 3, are definitely a lot premium than Jetta/Yeti. It isn't cheap either at 24L OTR. And it's FWD.

AUDI: is not for me. It has to be Quattro or no Audi for me. And Quattro would cost a bomb.

So that's what I have rationalized so far. But one TD of 3 can change everything. Sorry for being too random but I guess we all are when it comes to cars
Old 12th December 2013, 18:27   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Looks are subjective. My wife doesn't like the X1 looks either. But I am really not attached to the exteriors looks of the car. If I do, then even a minor scratch will make me lose my peace of mind which I don't want. And to me X1 looks okay - neither a beauty nor ugly.

As mentioned in above posts, X1 offers me navigation+panoramic glass roof+BMW apps.
So are you suggesting that a nick or scratch on the X1 would not have you go nuts? Or would you be able to park the X1 randomly without much care as compared to the 3? Sorry I didn't understand this point.

What is this Bmw apps? It's just facebook updates and stuff right? Practical enough to be a point of contention in your buying decision?

Also may I dare to suggest you take a look at the Volvo V40? Just go and check the vehicle for sake of covering the segment completely. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12th December 2013, 18:44   #433
BHPian

Quote:

So are you suggesting that a nick or scratch on the X1 would not have you go nuts? Or would you be able to park the X1 randomly without much care as compared to the 3? Sorry I didn't understand this point.
Means looks are last in my priority list. And a scratch on X1 will hurt less than that on 320d. Weird but it's just me.

Quote:
What is this Bmw apps? It's just facebook updates and stuff right? Practical enough to be a point of contention in your buying decision?

Also may I dare to suggest you take a look at the Volvo V40? Just go and check the vehicle for sake of covering the segment completely. You might be pleasantly surprised.
BMW apps add to the overall experience so I like it. More than that navigation is a point for contention.

About Volvos, I have checked S60 and liked the interiors a lot. In fact I felt the leather to be better than 3. V40 unfortunately was not available for demo. But Volvos are not consider due to wafer thin service network and waiting periods. And don't want to put my hard earned money on a company which has no manufacturing setup. Doesn't inspire confidence.
Old 12th December 2013, 20:27   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

About Volvos, I have checked S60 and liked the interiors a lot. In fact I felt the leather to be better than 3. V40 unfortunately was not available for demo. But Volvos are not consider due to wafer thin service network and waiting periods. And don't want to put my hard earned money on a company which has no manufacturing setup. Doesn't inspire confidence.
I suggested volvo since you are keen to have a feature rich car. There feature list just leaves the competition feeling naked in comparison. And also the tag of driving one of the safest cars helps specially when you are with family.

Anyways lets wait for your test drive experience of the X1 before going further.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 23:32   #435
BHPian

Quote:
I suggested volvo since you are keen to have a feature rich car. There feature list just leaves the competition feeling naked in comparison.
Can you please elaborate ?
What are the features on the s60 that the other 3 badges don't offer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks