Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2013, 16:25   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
4. Is there a run-in period for these cars?
Run in period for Engine & Transmission;

Upto 2000 kms do not exceed 3500 rpm in any gear & 160 km/hr

Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the transmissions kickdown mode.

Run in period for Tires;

Tires will start performing to their best potential after first 300 kms.

Run in period for Brake System;

Minimum 500 km to achieve optimized contact and wear patterns between brake pads and discs.

PS - Congrats & all the best for your 320d
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 18:26   #452
BHPian

My rear tire has developed some kind of a cut.

Now the dealership says the tire will be replaced as it's covered under the BMW secure

They're asking me to pay 25% of the cost of the tire (approx 6000) plus Rs. 2000 for fitting and the remaining will be paid by the insurer

Isn't this a bit unfair ? Considering that the tire has developed a proper defect it should be replaced free of cost ?!
Old 19th December 2013, 18:45   #453
BHPian

Spotted this brand new 330d with temp plates here in bangalore

Name:  ForumRunner_20131219_184237.png
Views: 1561
Size:  372.5 KB
Old 19th December 2013, 21:18   #454
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will be taking delivery of a 320d Sport line in first week of January.
Have following questions regarding the initial to do's immediately after delivery:

1. What kind of protective coating I should be going for?

2. Is under body coating/protection required for this car?

3. Planning to buy all weather sports mats from BMW for 20k. Is there better option? Want to buy red and black combination mats.

5. Any other specific thing which I should be aware of.

Will be doing a full PDI once the car reaches the yard.
Congrats, what colour combo have you chosen?

1) No need for paint protection. Euro cars generally come with a ceramic clear coat and don't need anything extra. But yes do get it polished once or twice a year and that will serve as your paint protection.

2) No need at all.

3) Ask them to throw it in free, or give you at a proper price. Otherwise order them from abroad, its definitely not worth 20k.

4) Yup. The others have mentioned it before me, but its fine to cross 3.5k rpm once in a while.

5) Ask for the VIN no and confirm the build date. Nothing else to really watch out for.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 22:02   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktranquility View Post

Attachment 1180497
Is this a 3? Why are the tail lights different? Is it some sort of modification?
Old 19th December 2013, 22:04   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Is this a 3? Why are the tail lights different? Is it some sort of modification?
This is a 3. It's a t-door coupe so the design is a bit different I'm assuming
Old 19th December 2013, 22:22   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktranquility View Post
Isn't that a E93 coupe convertibe.
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 22:25   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Isn't that a E93 coupe convertibe.
Yep exactly that. Stunning in person I have to admit but I just wonder why someone would buy one here
Old 19th December 2013, 22:33   #459

Quote:

One easy way to break-in your new JOY is to drive it in Eco-Pro as much as you can remember to turn in on - for the 1st 500 Kms, and gradually increasing usage of the other modes over the next 1500 Kms. Another thing i've come to realize is that the driving mode selected should match your aggression on the gas pedal to get the most enjoyable drive and the best mileage. For example pushing the gas too hard in Eco-Pro would give you an irritating lag followed by an uncomfortable overshoot of power along with poorer mileage compared to a lag-free overtake with much better overall trip mileage in Comfort Mode. The Sport mode, as mentioned in so many posts before, is so confidence inspiring that it encourages you to test your limits each time - with a guaranteed grin! Bad for ego though! And i've often been surprised to see mileage touching 16-17 Km/l in city conditions while driving pretty aggressively in comfort mode! The key here is to ride the momentum and lay off the gas at the right moments (feels almost as if the car is gliding in neutral with a low drag coefficient - unlike so many other lousy automatics!) while making deftly planned but "pushed back in the seat" overtakes. This actually makes driving a very enJOYable calculative game of moves in our indian traffic maze! Maybe you'll even start looking forward to monday morning commute for a change! (Just kidding!) Kudos to Efficient Dynamics! Pure brilliant! On the other hand if you have ample time on hand, and are loving the awesome music playing and are in no mood to get perturbed by chaotic road freaks, then hit the Eco-Pro and let the brilliant gearbox give you an ultra smooth, noise-free ride! Enjoy!
Old 20th December 2013, 07:50   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling_stone View Post
Another thing i've come to realize is that the driving mode selected should match your aggression on the gas pedal to get the most enjoyable drive and the best mileage. For example pushing the gas too hard in Eco-Pro would give you an irritating lag followed by an uncomfortable overshoot of power along with poorer mileage compared to a lag-free overtake with much better overall trip mileage in Comfort Mode. The Sport mode, as mentioned in so many posts before, is so confidence inspiring that it encourages you to test your limits each time - with a guaranteed grin! Bad for ego though! And i've often been surprised to see mileage touching 16-17 Km/l in city conditions while driving pretty aggressively in comfort mode! Kudos to Efficient Dynamics! Pure brilliant! On the other hand if you have ample time on hand, and are loving the awesome music playing and are in no mood to get perturbed by chaotic road freaks, then hit the Eco-Pro and let the brilliant gearbox give you an ultra smooth, noise-free ride! Enjoy!
Nice summarization of the modes there. I felt the comfort mode is the best to drive in. The acceleration from a complete stop is quite smooth and lag free and it still leaves you with enough juice to make that dash. The Ecopro on the other hand gets very sluggish specially in stop go traffic and the car takes a couple of seconds to respond. What happens is that in that time the gap invites a lot of bikers and Autowallahs which is overall not good for your car's health. The sports is ofcourse a whole different world.

The mileage figures are simply amazing on this car. I remember reading that the E90 used to return around 10 kmpl according to most members. But this one easily touches the 14-15 kmpl mark with some hard driving and more if you drive sedately. Amazing gear box to be able to manage that!

Last edited by drmohitg : 20th December 2013 at 07:51.
Old 20th December 2013, 12:39   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
1. Paint protection should be done. Costs about 7k from the dealership.
Thanks, Bluebeem!
So you recommend that it should be done at dealership rather than 3M or so? Are the dealership guys as competent as 3M people?

Quote:
3. All weather rubber mats jet black cost 4800 from the dealership. I think 20k for sports mats is insanity.
Actually, I want a combination of black and red (coral red). I have seen one 320d with the BMW sports mats and it just enhances the overall feel of the car. Tried to look at other places but nothing comes close to the ones BMW sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Paint protection and under body coating are something that depends upon you. I have never for them done and all my cars have turned out fine till now.
Thanks drmohitg!
I too never opted for that in past but this is my first luxury car purchase with super hard earned money so don't want to end up regretting later. I am almost convinced on paint protection. About under body coating, I am still thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Run in period for Engine & Transmission;

Upto 2000 kms do not exceed 3500 rpm in any gear & 160 km/hr

Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the transmissions kickdown mode.

Run in period for Tires;

Tires will start performing to their best potential after first 300 kms.

Run in period for Brake System;

Minimum 500 km to achieve optimized contact and wear patterns between brake pads and discs.

PS - Congrats & all the best for your 320d
Thanks karan561 for detailed info on run-in. Will follow it precisely. What kind of mats you have in your 328i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Congrats, what colour combo have you chosen?

1) No need for paint protection. Euro cars generally come with a ceramic clear coat and don't need anything extra. But yes do get it polished once or twice a year and that will serve as your paint protection.
Thanks, akshay1234! I have chosen black color.

My colleagues in Europe also get paint protection done on their cars. And compared to Europe we have a lot more to worry
However, I am convinced on paint protection but so sure about under body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
3) Ask them to throw it in free, or give you at a proper price. Otherwise order them from abroad, its definitely not worth 20k.

5) Ask for the VIN no and confirm the build date. Nothing else to really watch out for.
Have asked for mats, lets see. VIN is also expected in a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling_stone View Post
One easy way to break-in your new JOY is to drive it in Eco-Pro as much as you can remember to turn in on - for the 1st 500 Kms, and gradually increasing usage of the other modes over the next 1500 Kms.
Thanks, rolling_stone for the detailed info.
Old 20th December 2013, 12:56   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Bluebeem! So you recommend that it should be done at dealership rather than 3M or so? Are the dealership guys as competent as 3M people? Actually, I want a combination of black and red (coral red). I have seen one 320d with the BMW sports mats and it just enhances the overall feel of the car.
Well I'm in ludhiana and there's no 3M in north india except the one in Delhi. I would imagine 3M would do a much better job at a lesser price.

Paint protection is a must if you're buying a metallic colour or a black. Every little scratch shows in the sunshine on these colours.

3M has this lamination product where they laminate the car with a film(I'm forgetting what it's called). I would strongly recommend you do that on your bonnet & bumpers.

I already have some chips on my front bumpers and a couple on the bonnet due to high speed driving.

Look for the sport mats on amazon. I remember them being available last year. The good part is that they're available as sets of 2 (instead of 4) on many websites. So u can buy the sports mats for the front and normal (cheaper ) black ones for the rear if you wanna save some money.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 17:28   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Bluebeem! So you recommend that it should be done at dealership rather than 3M or so? Are the dealership guys as competent as 3M people? Actually, I want a combination of black and red (coral red). I have seen one 320d with the BMW sports mats and it just enhances the overall feel of the car. Tried to look at other places but nothing comes close to the ones BMW sells. Thanks drmohitg! I too never opted for that in past but this is my first luxury car purchase with super hard earned money so don't want to end up regretting later. I am almost convinced on paint protection. About under body coating, I am still thinking. Thanks karan561 for detailed info on run-in. Will follow it precisely. What kind of mats you have in your 328i? Thanks, akshay1234! I have chosen black color. My colleagues in Europe also get paint protection done on their cars. And compared to Europe we have a lot more to worry However, I am convinced on paint protection but so sure about under body. Have asked for mats, lets see. VIN is also expected in a day or two. Thanks, rolling_stone for the detailed info.
Just happened to be at the dealership today to resolve my tire issues.

The mats you're talking about are available for 9700.

I've clicked some pics of the mats and the item codes for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-image1950950888.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-image3047386464.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-image3682597637.jpg  

Old 20th December 2013, 18:43   #464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, akshay1234! I have chosen black color.

My colleagues in Europe also get paint protection done on their cars. And compared to Europe we have a lot more to worry
However, I am convinced on paint protection but so sure about under body.
It will look hot.

If you do want to get it, do it from 3M. And keep getting the car polished every 6 months so that it looks nice new.

Underbody coating IMO is not needed, many parts of the underbody are covered too.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 20th December 2013 at 18:48.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 19:35   #465
BHPian

Quote:

Just happened to be at the dealership today to resolve my tire issues.

The mats you're talking about are available for 9700.

I've clicked some pics of the mats and the item codes for your reference.
Thanks a lot for the information. I will use the images if it am quoted more than this price. Really appreciate you taking efforts of clicking pictures.

By the way, is you tire issue resolved?

Most Viewed