Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2015, 13:38   #691
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

hi everyone. i am on the lookout for a 320d. i had a doubt-there are many bmw dealers in mumbai like navnit , infinity worli and infinity panvel. is it necessary to buy the car from the dealer who is located nearest to you? and can anyone share their after sales experiences with the mumbai dealers. i am confused about which is better in terms of after sales-navnit or infinity worli.
akshay1234 and drmohitg -thanks for your help !
Old 4th February 2015, 14:20   #692
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
hi everyone. i am on the lookout for a 320d. i had a doubt-there are many bmw dealers in mumbai like navnit , infinity worli and infinity panvel. is it necessary to buy the car from the dealer who is located nearest to you? and can anyone share their after sales experiences with the mumbai dealers. i am confused about which is better in terms of after sales-navnit or infinity worli.
Get quotes from both navnit and infinity and then buy from whoever's giving you the best deal.

I bought my BMW from navnit and get serviced it from navnit as well. The experience has been so far so good.
Old 4th February 2015, 14:38   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
Look through the forum or ask Akshay and Sahil here. AFAIK one of these dealerships has a BHPian working in sales who can surely assist you better with your purchase.

And no it is not necessary to buy the car from the dealer closest to you. You can even buy it from the dealer in Delhi, if you so choose.
Old 8th February 2015, 11:25   #694

What is the difference between the regular Sport mode & Dynamic Sport mode (not the Sport+ mode) in the 2014 320d?

While taking (yet another) test drive, after switching to Sport mode, the SA moved the selector lever to the lift. This he said was the "Dynamic Sports" mode. Moving the selector fwd/backwards after shifting to Dynamic Sports switches the upshifts to manual.

The manual part I get (obviously). But what is the difference between Dynamic mode and Sports mode?
Old 8th February 2015, 11:56   #695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saju View Post
What is the difference between the regular Sport mode & Dynamic Sport mode (not the Sport+ mode) in the 2014 320d?

While taking (yet another) test drive, after switching to Sport mode, the SA moved the selector lever to the lift. This he said was the "Dynamic Sports" mode. Moving the selector fwd/backwards after shifting to Dynamic Sports switches the upshifts to manual.

The manual part I get (obviously). But what is the difference between Dynamic mode and Sports mode?
Moving to sports mode from the selector switch adjusts the steering, throttle, and makes the gearshifts more sporty. By moving the gear selector to the left the gearshifts become even more sporty. In normal comfort mode too, the gearshift can be flicked to the left, but it will not be as sporty as flicking to the left in sports mode.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 12:41   #696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Moving to sports mode from the selector switch adjusts the steering, throttle, and makes the gearshifts more sporty. By moving the gear selector to the left the gearshifts become even more sporty. In normal comfort mode too, the gearshift can be flicked to the left, but it will not be as sporty as flicking to the left in sports mode.
The flicking to the left means you are opting for Manual shift right? Or is there any other control that I am missing here.
Old 8th February 2015, 12:46   #697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The flicking to the left means you are opting for Manual shift right? Or is there any other control that I am missing here.
Flicking to the left puts the gearbox in sports mode, that is quicker shifts and holding onto gears longer. Once you flick it to the left, only if you move the shifter up or down is manual selected. Very useful when you want a burst of power to overtake without using kickdown on the accelerator or switching to sports with the button.
Old 8th February 2015, 14:19   #698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Flicking to the left puts the gearbox in sports mode, that is quicker shifts and holding onto gears longer. Once you flick it to the left, only if you move the shifter up or down is manual selected. Very useful when you want a burst of power to overtake without using kickdown on the accelerator or switching to sports with the button.
Thanks. This is something new. I need to try this in my car. I was under the impression that flicking to left will make me go into manual mode. To toggle between modes, I only use the button.
Old 17th February 2015, 18:55   #699

I am expecting delivery of an F30 320d sport later this week. I had some questions I was hoping the veterans could answer.

1. Fuel: - Should I use normal or premium diesel? Can I mix premium & normal diesel - can happen if highway pumps don't have premium. IIRC premium & normal are both RON91, premium just has extra additives.

2. Run-in period. The BMW f30 manual says the following:

"Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Do not exceed the maximum engine and road
speed:
▷ For gasoline engine, 4,500 rpm and
100 mph/160 km/h.
Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the
transmission's kickdown mode for the initial
miles."

This only talks about gasoline engines. Did other f30 diesel owners here bother with breaking-in/run-in period?

Thanks in advance!
Old 17th February 2015, 20:06   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am expecting delivery of an F30 320d sport later this week. I had some questions I was hoping the veterans could answer.
Telling you what I did ...

Use normal diesel. If you are wanting to keep the engine clean ask the workshop about a additive which BMW sells under its own brand for the car. They will be more than happy to sell it to you.

Refrain the right foot for the first 1000 kms. At least.

P.s. Its super difficult.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 20:46   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Please use regular diesel ONLY and no other additive is needed at all.

Regarding the run in period, I kept my car below 2k rpm as given in the manual for around first 1500 kms. But doing that is very easy as the car will hardly cross that rpm range even if you drive her at high speeds due to the 8 speed gear box. Throw in some occasional use of sports mode now and then and you should be fine.
Old 17th February 2015, 23:15   #702
BHPian

Quote:
1. Fuel: - Should I use normal or premium diesel? Can I mix premium & normal diesel - can happen if highway pumps don't have premium. IIRC premium & normal are both RON91, premium just has extra additives.

"Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km Do not exceed the maximum engine and road speed:▷ For gasoline engine, 4,500 rpm and 100 mph/160 km/h.
Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the transmission's kickdown mode for the initial miles."

This only talks about gasoline engines. Did other f30 diesel owners here bother with breaking-in/run-in period?

1. Have used mostly normal diesel only. I don't think you need to hunt for premium diesel as the car runs on normal one without any problem.

2. As a general rule, just be light footed for the first couple of 1000 Kms, try to keep below 2K RPM, avoid flooring... Basically, don't drive it like a BMW as soon as you get it. Go easy, Be patient for a li'llllllll more time! It might not be as easy as it sounds though
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 23:24   #703
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
RON ratings are for gasoline (petrol) only. Diesel has Cetane ratings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number
Old 18th February 2015, 01:43   #704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

"Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Do not exceed the maximum engine and road
speed:
▷ For gasoline engine, 4,500 rpm and
100 mph/160 km/h.
Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the
transmission's kickdown mode for the initial
miles."

Thanks in advance!
Only normal diesel. No additives. It will harm the engine more than anything.

There should be a section for diesel. I remember my manual saying something to the effect of 3.5k rpm for the diesel, and 160kmph. Stick below this for 1500kms at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Please use regular diesel ONLY and no other additive is needed at all.

Regarding the run in period, I kept my car below 2k rpm as given in the manual for around first 1500 kms. But doing that is very easy as the car will hardly cross that rpm range even if you drive her at high speeds due to the 8 speed gear box. Throw in some occasional use of sports mode now and then and you should be fine.
2k is far too low, I don't know how you manage to do that. But as mentioned above my manual said 3.5k rpm for the diesel.
Old 18th February 2015, 08:23   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2k is far too low, I don't know how you manage to do that. But as mentioned above my manual said 3.5k rpm for the diesel.
My apologies. I mixed the recommendations between Altis and BMW I think. But as stated by you, I also followed what was given in the manual. It must be 3.5k rpm then. For Altis I had tried to stay below 2k rpm with occasional lows and highs.

Most Viewed