Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2015, 09:25   #706
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I remember my manual saying something to the effect of 3.5k rpm for the diesel, and 160kmph. Stick below this for 1500kms at least.
True, the manual says 3.5K RPM and max 150 Kmph for 1200 Miles (~ 1900 Kms) break in period. Manual also recommends - "In principle, avoid full load or kick down."

Quote:
2k is far too low, I don't know how you manage to do that. But as mentioned above my manual said 3.5k rpm for the diesel.
ZF-8 upshifts pretty quick and I guess normally you would not go above 2K RPM, unless you floor the pedal, or put in sport or manual mode. But haven't checked exactly at what rpms does it upshift in each mode. Could some F30 320d owner clarify the same as I am out of India and cannot try this right now... Please?

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 18th February 2015 at 09:30. Reason: Added info.
Old 18th February 2015, 10:59   #707
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My apologies. I mixed the recommendations between Altis and BMW I think. But as stated by you, I also followed what was given in the manual. It must be 3.5k rpm then. For Altis I had tried to stay below 2k rpm with occasional lows and highs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
True, the manual says 3.5K RPM and max 150 Kmph for 1200 Miles (~ 1900 Kms) break in period. Manual also recommends - "In principle, avoid full load or kick down."

ZF-8 upshifts pretty quick and I guess normally you would not go above 2K RPM, unless you floor the pedal, or put in sport or manual mode. But haven't checked exactly at what rpms does it upshift in each mode. Could some F30 320d owner clarify the same as I am out of India and cannot try this right now... Please?
Engines actually are pretty much broken in from the factory, and the break in period is more for the brakes, suspension and other components IMO. But still it is prudent to be careful with the engine in the beginning. But 2k rpm is far too low, this figure has been floating around on team bhp for while and I don't know how and where it came from. Some people try and run in their engine keeping it below 2k rpm on petrol cars

Ajay - On a light foot the transmision does shift up at 2k rpm or a tad under with light throttle. In Eco Pro it does shift up around 1500rpm when possible. A gem of a transmission.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 11:20   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Engines actually are pretty much broken in from the factory, and the break in period is more for the brakes, suspension and other components IMO. But still it is prudent to be careful with the engine in the beginning. But 2k rpm is far too low, this figure has been floating around on team bhp for while and I don't know how and where it came from. Some people try and run in their engine keeping it below 2k rpm on petrol cars
Yeah man! Even I never drive keeping a check on the RPM unless trying to red line. Abroad, many people have been told by the dealer himself (like you said) that no need of any break in period as it is already done before it reaches the customer. 2K was just a ball figure to answer that query but my recommendation was to go easy on the throttle in general for the first couple of 1000 Kms. Frankly speaking, I never really bothered to check on the RPMs in the initial stage but went easy in general before exploring the car's true potential. I say, forget the RPM and avoid spirited driving in the initial stages. Rest is taken care of by itself as its an auto box and not manual.

Quote:
Ajay - On a light foot the transmision does shift up at 2k rpm or a tad under with light throttle. In Eco Pro it does shift up around 1500rpm when possible. A gem of a transmission.

Thank you. Yeah ZF-8 is truly amazing. Power, efficiency, all in one package!
Old 18th February 2015, 12:50   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saju View Post
This only talks about gasoline engines. Did other f30 diesel owners here bother with breaking-in/run-in period?

Thanks in advance!
I have probably mentioned this earlier, but I say it again: It is not only about the engine/gearbox. A lot of stuff has to settle in especially the tires and brakes. Both will get optimal grip/abilities only after 800-1,000 km. So most important is to take it very gently, be a very passive/smooth driver leaving lots of room in the first 2k km. Avoid increasing engine RPMs definitely until the engine is warm. This holds true even after break-in but is most important during the break-in period as well. You can easily glaze brake pads or warp the discs with hard braking during this period. BMW is one the few who allow a new car to reach 160 km/h during break-in!! Of course on our roads that is largely academic, but just take it very easy during the break-in.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 21:47   #710

Thank you everyone. In summary, be gentle the first 2000 KMs and use regular diesel. I will delay channeling Schumacher till the brakes, suspension & engine have broken-in.
Old 19th February 2015, 06:16   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
hi everyone. i am on the lookout for a 320d. i had a doubt-there are many bmw dealers in mumbai like navnit , infinity worli and infinity panvel. is it necessary to buy the car from the dealer who is located nearest to you? and can anyone share their after sales experiences with the mumbai dealers. i am confused about which is better in terms of after sales-navnit or infinity worli.
akshay1234 and drmohitg -thanks for your help !
I m from Mumbai too, but bought from Bavaria Pune whom i found to give me better price and service .
Old 21st February 2015, 21:37   #712

Delivery day today. Got home an Imperial Blue F30 320d Sport. As advised by many on team-bhp, I will take it slow (rpm-wise) for the first 2000KMs and "break in" the car.

Looking forward to many spirited long drives.
Old 21st February 2015, 22:11   #713
BHPian

Congrats on your new car buddy. Make sure you vary the engine revs freely (without redlining) and use all gears appropriately. It causes more wear on the tranny if you run at constant RPM and gear during the run in period.
Old 22nd February 2015, 00:42   #714
BHPian

After days of speculation and calculations ; I finally did it! I booked a 3 series. Days of thunder up ahead.
urban legend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 00:48   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After days of speculation and calculations ; I finally did it! I booked a 3 series. Days of thunder up ahead.
Congratulations. Which variant and colour? Also what was the final deal that you got? Please do opt for the BSI pack as it really makes your ownership experience stress free.
Old 22nd February 2015, 06:59   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations. Which variant and colour?
Thanks! Its a 320 d prestige white colour. I am definitely going for bsi and I m thinking of taking secure for the first year too.

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd February 2015 at 17:04. Reason: quote fixed
Old 22nd February 2015, 10:46   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations. Which variant and colour?
Thanks! Its a 320 d prestige white colour. I am definitely going for bsi and I m thinking of taking secure for the first year too.
BMW Secure is complimentary with all new cars for the first year. You don't need to buy it separately.

Also whats the status on the space saver now? I had got it in my deal. But off late I heard on the forum that they have started offering that too as complimentary with every new car now.

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd February 2015 at 17:21. Reason: quoted fixed
Old 22nd February 2015, 15:47   #718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also whats the status on the space saver now? I had got it in my deal. But off late I heard on the forum that they have started offering that too as complimentary with every new car now.
Spare-wheel is now mentioned as standard in the latest specification sheet.

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-screen-shot-20150222-6.00.10-pm.png
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 19:50   #719

I can confirm that a complimentary spare wheel is included in new deliveries. I got a spare wheel.
saju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:34   #720

Took the 320d out for her (I think the 320d is a 'her') first spin. A 300KM ride at mostly sub-100 speeds in Comfort mode. I am absolutely never going to use the Eco mode.

In Comfort mode there is a clear & present half-second'ish lag when you put your foot down, and then the horses wakeup. Combine the crazy equines with the absolutely lovely handling and you can drop almost all other cars behind if you feel the need. Having cut off a few speeding cars, I must surely have done justice to the "Douche in a BMW" moniker

I can live without navigation but rear parking camera with guide-lines is sorely missed. And now I also know exactly what I need from this car - more power! I really really hope the m-power upgrade becomes available.

Most Viewed