Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:38   #721
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Spare-wheel is now mentioned as standard in the latest specification sheet.

Attachment 1342369
It was done in June 2014 itself. Do refer our news article by Aditya dated: 30/06/2014.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 17:21   #722
BHPian

I am getting delivery of my 320 d soon. I wanted to install a wireless reverse camera without cutting any wires to avoid warranty issues. Does anyone know of such a unit? Which brand and how much does it cost?
Old 15th March 2015, 19:34   #723
BHPian

Is this possible? I would like to install one on my one year old vehicle too.
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:27   #724
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Would larger tyres affect the electronics of modern cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Sorry I din't get what you meant by TPMS is still working fine? What change were you expecting when you upsized keeping the outer dia. almost same and replaced runflats with tubeless?
I wasn't expecting any change, i just mentioned this to comfort our friend replacing his tyres of the Q7.

Quote:
OT, does F30 come with ABS based TPMS?
Yes, TPMS does make use of the ABS to keep a check on the deflating tyre in the F30.

But also do note TPMS sensors are located inside the wheel (opposite the valve) so changing the tyres won't hamper the TPMS system. But probably if you change the wheel then it may. (Or possibly can be re-fitted in the new wheel? May be !)

BTW you can read more about the upsize / RFT to tubeless conversion here;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...k-com-usa.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The TPMS bases itself on whatever is the tyre size when you reset, so technically even if you don't stick to the correct upsize it will work correctly. BTW the TPMS in the F30 will work better with tubeless, since in case of a puncture the difference in rotational speed of the tyre will be more easily noticed than with a runflat, with its super stiff sidewalls.
^Akshay himself uses tubeless on his BMW & did the conversion before me & has dealt with a few punctures/flats already so he is more experienced in a way

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd April 2015 at 11:34.
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:29   #725
BHPian

Quote:
The TPMS bases itself on whatever is the tyre size when you reset, so technically even if you don't stick to the correct upsize it will work correctly. BTW the TPMS in the F30 will work better with tubeless, since in case of a puncture the difference in rotational speed of the tyre will be more easily noticed than with a runflat, with its super stiff sidewalls.

Yes it does. Most BMWs in India do.
That is what I thought. Because I had a wall tear incident on my F30 and the TPMS did not notify me instantly even if all air was released. The runflat walls were still too strong to let ABS sensors detect change in wheel dia. so easily I guess. I got the warning much later. Like you said, the tubeless, if punctured should be picked up by the ABS sensors due to change in dia. much faster than the runflats.

I was kinda surprised that a car costing that much came with only ABS based TPMS instead of active pressure monitoring. Till that incident, that all green indicating TPMS screen gave me a feeling that I am actually looking at TPMS based on individual tyre pressure measurement. It is only after that incident, I realized it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I wasn't expecting any change, i just mentioned this to comfort our friend replacing his tyres of the Q7.

Yes, TPMS does make use of the ABS to keep a check on the deflating tyre in the F30.

But also do note TPMS sensors are located inside the wheel (opposite the valve) so changing the tyres won't hamper the TPMS system. But probably if you change the wheel then it may. (Or possibly can be re-fitted in the new wheel? May be !)
You mean to say it has active tyre pressure monitoring?

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 3rd April 2015 at 11:41. Reason: Added info.
Old 3rd April 2015, 12:14   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You mean to say it has active tyre pressure monitoring?
No, Any "indirect" form i.e. in this case using data from the ABS sensor to determine loss of air hence it is passive TPMS

But, as the tyre pressures are being monitored in every tyre so the answer may be BOTH (Active as every tyre is checked & Passive coz its "indirect" form of checking i.e. via ABS sensors)

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd April 2015 at 12:23.
Old 3rd April 2015, 12:21   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
No, Any "indirect" form i.e. in this case using data from the ABS sensor to determine loss of air hence it is passive TPMS
That is no news. You said there was some sensor in the wheel. What I asked is, Is that a tyre pressure sensor you meant which is inside the wheel?

ABS based is passive TPMS. But that does not require any sensors within the wheel apart from the ABS sensor which is placed outside the wheel AFAIK.
Old 3rd April 2015, 13:12   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Would larger tyres affect the electronics of modern cars?

Quote:
That is no news. You said there was some sensor in the wheel. What I asked is, Is that a tyre pressure sensor you meant which is inside the wheel?

ABS based is passive TPMS. But that does not require any sensors within the wheel apart from the ABS sensor which is placed outside the wheel AFAIK.
Do go through these two links;

1) http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-a...essure-sensors

2) http://www.autec-wheels.de/tpms.html

^ these are self explanatory & shall explain why i said " Both "

Old 3rd April 2015, 19:47   #729
BHPian

Would larger tyres affect the electronics of modern cars?

The latest info I have on the TPMS in India bound BMWs is that, even the India bound 730LD does not come with a proper full fledged TPMS. Karan's 328i F30 is a CBU I believe and my 320d F30 is a CKD. So could it be that the CBU got TPM too apart from just the FTM (or passive TPMS or TPL or whatever the ABS based TPMS is called)? If Karan could share his 328i's VIN no, this could be checked and confirmed.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 3rd April 2015 at 20:06.
Old 7th April 2015, 07:00   #730
BHPian

After some home work, looks like India bound CBUs and CKDs don't come equipped with proper TPMS with active individual tyre pressure monitoring. If active TPMS hardware is present in the car there should be an "RDC reset" option available within the iDrive instead of "Flat Tyre Monitor". If it is there, the sensors in the wheels are actually for tyre pressure monitoring. Otherwise it is ABS based FTM only.

This is RDC screen
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmw-rdc.jpg

RDC stands for Reifen Druck Control. Below is the google translation for it.
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-rdc-translation.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_0058.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th April 2015 at 08:47. Reason: Back to back posts.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 11:31   #731
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After some home work, looks like India bound CBUs and CKDs don't come equipped with proper TPMS with active individual tyre pressure monitoring. If active TPMS hardware is present in the car there should be an "RDC reset" option available within the iDrive instead of "Flat Tyre Monitor". If it is there, the sensors in the wheels are actually for tyre pressure monitoring. Otherwise it is ABS based FTM only.
Even cars with proper tyre pressure monitoring may not show the temperature and pressure. Cars after 2014 show the pressure, while cars before only show the tyre in green. The temperature and pressure has to be coded to be displayed.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 11:42   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Even cars with proper tyre pressure monitoring may not show the temperature and pressure. Cars after 2014 show the pressure, while cars before only show the tyre in green. The temperature and pressure has to be coded to be displayed.
In any case the hardware has to be present in the first place. The scan of some CKD and CBU BMWs in India (current generation ones) reveals that the hardware for RDC is simply not present. Coding to display temperature and pressure would be possible only if it was present.
Old 5th May 2015, 13:40   #733
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am posting on this forum after a very long gap but was just waiting for a good reason to post.

I have recently taken delivery of two (myself & my BIL) 320d GTs. Didn't get much time to drive them around (<100 KM) but it already feels pretty good

Initial opinion: This was a chance purchase; we were almost about to book the A6 when the local dealer (a friend) casually called to inform that he was in the area and wanted to meet me. That is when i first rode in the GT and this had left a lasting impression. Within 24 hours, were on our way to the showroom to book two GTs.

We took delivery of two whites with tan brown interiors within a week and are quite pleased with the sweet deal we were offered.

First impressions:
- Very roomy (the rear actually has more leg space than the 5)
- Higher suspension setting (easier ingress and egress for parents wrt my 328i)
- Full sun roof looks amazing from the inside
- Active rear spoiler is a real kicker (beside it's sleek looks, BMW claims a 60% addition down force). The open /close is definitely an eye catcher.
- The boot space is partly occupied by the spare, but what is inconvenient is the placement. (defeats the purpose of a tourer)

Drive is quite comfortable and the new profile of the tires makes the ride far less bumpier at low speeds and glides over most bad roads at higher speeds.

Over all, it is quite a city tourer / semi urban utility vehicle. I am planning for a long drive in a week or two and will post a much more detailed review shortly after.

Keep beaming...
Old 10th May 2015, 11:48   #734
Team-BHP Support

Guys just posting for anyone who may be interested, my dealer has a 2013 manufactured 320d sportline in stock (brand new) at a mouthwatering deal. It is red colour with black interiors. It is available on road for about 3.5l less than the ex showroom cost of a new one today. Do message me if interested, so I can put you on to the right person.
Old 10th May 2015, 22:43   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Guys just posting for anyone who may be interested, my dealer has a 2013 manufactured 320d sportline in stock (brand new) at a mouthwatering deal. It is red colour with black interiors. It is available on road for about 3.5l less than the ex showroom cost of a new one today. Do message me if interested, so I can put you on to the right person.

Akshay, can you PM me the contact details of your dealer so that I can touch base and see the car? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks