Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2015, 13:13   #811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Congrats on the car bro. Seems you live in Dwarka only. We should catch up for a drive. On a serious note, the car looks fabulous!
Thanks buddy and yeah you got the place spot on. I reside in Dwarka and am always up for a drive , thanks for the compliment.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 00:31   #812
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Guys I find the Audio system in the 320 D quite... underwhelming.

Had gotten an email regarding an official BMW Audio upgrade kit from Alpine.

Has anyone got one installed / heard it in action?

Copy Pasting from dealer email:

the Original BMW Accessories Alpine hi-fi system retrofit kit for BMW. This is a speaker upgrade kit. This hi-fi system is developed exclusively for BMW by ALPINE Electronics and offers a significant enhancement in audio performance.

The 3-way speaker system includes improved mid-range speakers as well as two powerful tweeters with aluminium diaphragm which are installed in the upper area of the front doors in addition. Two channels drive the high-quality speaker system in the front area, while two more drive the two central bass speakers under the front seats. In addition, two more channels deliver better performance from the two rear speakers, perfectly rounding off the sound picture.

Improvements are enlisted as below:
· Improved sound quality: Voices and instruments are reproduced with clear definition thanks to the neodymium tweeters and the aluminium-diaphragm mid-range speakers.

· Dynamic bass: The upgraded amplification delivers much greater precision and sound pressure in the bass range. An improvement that you can feel.

· Eye-catcher: The chromed ALPINE logo on the speaker grilles gives an indication of the sound quality that lies beneath.

· Acoustic experience for all car occupants: Activation of the rear speakers in conjunction with DSP equalizing ensures brilliant sound on the rear seats.

· Perfectly integrated in the car, with sound technology adapted to the particular type of car: The sound volume has been perfectly adapted to the position of the particular speakers in the car.

· The latest amplifier technology gives the system even more power – even though the amplifier is much more compact than the previous model. This means retrofitting is easy and straightforward.
Old 5th October 2015, 11:59   #813
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the basic sound system is poor on the 3 series. What you are describing as the Alpine upgrade is the default 'Hi-fi' system that was there in the 328i and 320d luxury+ models. This system has 9 speakers - 1 in each of the four doors, 2 tweeters in the front doors, 1 center speaker on the dash and 2 'sub-woofers' under the front seats. I thought that they now provided this system on all the 3 series models. In US I believe there is a further upgrade to a Harmon Kardon system with 11 speakers of better quality as well as even further upgraded amplifiers.

I don't know about any Alpine branding or how it sounds - probably Karan who has the 328i may be of help.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 5th October 2015 at 12:02.
Old 5th October 2015, 12:15   #814
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Guys I find the Audio system in the 320 D quite... underwhelming.

Had gotten an email regarding an official BMW Audio upgrade kit from Alpine.
Interesting. What's the quoted cost for this upgrade?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th October 2015 at 12:19. Reason: Reducing quoted content.
Old 6th October 2015, 10:07   #815
Senior - BHPian

Even my 328i has the upgraded HiFi sound system. The system sounds great but isn't very loud (which is OK with me). Also as mentioned in GTO's review it doesn't have eq settings as such. Would love to know what it costs off the shelf and do a comparison with a regular one when I get a chance.
Old 6th October 2015, 11:32   #816
BHPian

I too have recently got Prestige variant of 320D and would like to upgrade the sound system. I will be interested in getting this upgrade too, pl let me know what is the cost ? Will this upgrade be possible at local BMW dealer ?

I also notice that the current version of media software on my vehicle is MV.110.002.002 and their is update available on BMW website and it is MV.110.4.10. Has anyone update their software and did they notice any significant changes ?
Old 6th October 2015, 11:50   #817
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Even my 328i has the upgraded HiFi sound system. The system sounds great but isn't very loud (which is OK with me). Also as mentioned in GTO's review it doesn't have eq settings as such. Would love to know what it costs off the shelf and do a comparison with a regular one when I get a chance.
Do it at the source.

Just download RocketPlayer on your smartphone and use its 10-band equalizer. Trust me, your SQ will improve big-time! I don't see any reason to upgrade the audio setup in my car.

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-20151006-06.19.13.png
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 13:10   #818
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_i View Post
I too have recently got Prestige variant of 320D and would like to upgrade the sound system. I will be interested in getting this upgrade too, pl let me know what is the cost ? Will this upgrade be possible at local BMW dealer ?

I also notice that the current version of media software on my vehicle is MV.110.002.002 and their is update available on BMW website and it is MV.110.4.10. Has anyone update their software and did they notice any significant changes ?
Guys the Alpine upgrade is only for cars without the Hifi option i.e prestige and early sport and luxury lines.

Its only the front 2 speakers which are updated.

What would be better would be something like a BSW upgrade kit. Even Focal makes speakers for BMW, so does another company called Match.

There is also a BMW specific amp by Bimmertech which is supposed to improve the sound quality big time.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 20:59   #819
BHPian

BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Have read mixed reviews about Alpine hifi upgrade. Some were unhappy with the results. However it must be better than the basic ones. Best among OE audio upgrades would be Harman Kardon Logic 7 retrofit. Yes it costs a bomb, would not be as cost effective as after market options for speaker upgrade and would involve some serious n careful retrofitting and wiring. One must dare. But 16 high end drivers with a smart HK DSP must be something. Too tempting!
Old 6th October 2015, 22:45   #820
Senior - BHPian

I'm curious, can the guys who have enquired/researched about the options share the pricing they were quoted for the same? Should be interesting. I upgraded the factory speakers on the Polo to OE Focal ones and quite happy with them, but insure about the amplification requirements they might have.
Old 6th October 2015, 23:01   #821
BHPian

Just finished my second service, Bill was for 29300 rs Air filter and micro filter changed. Brake pads due in 5000 kms. In 18 months of ownership paid 50000 for first and second service. Car drives smoothly after the service.. Power increases coz she breathes better. If I had paid 3 lacs for BSI I would have incurred 45000 rs as interest cost in 18 months so feel that maintenance is not that much of a concern as I had previously thought. Happy with my ride.
arihant jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 23:15   #822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
Just finished my second service, Bill was for 29300 rs Air filter and micro filter changed. Brake pads due in 5000 kms. In 18 months of ownership paid 50000 for first and second service.
What is your odometer reading at present? Can you give a break up on what all charges were levied for second service? The diesel filter must have been changed as well.

The cost of normal services is fine and would not pinch but once the car requires a set of brake pads or brake rotors, the cost runs much higher.
Drive safe
Old 7th October 2015, 07:42   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Its only the front 2 speakers which are updated.
The Alpine kit for the F30 replaces the 2 front midrange drivers, adds 2 tweeters and more importantly a 4 channel amplifier (4*80W).

That said if BMW India is indeed offering the Alpine upgrade kit at a good price, it could be well worth it.
Old 7th October 2015, 08:37   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
It was a dream owning the Ultimat3 from so many years and it is all thanks to dad.
Hearty congratulations on owning a 3er. You are building up one awesome garage there. Awesome choice of shade.

And looks like you will need to remap the Fiesta soon.
Old 7th October 2015, 10:39   #825

Hello guys! Does anyone know if noise cancellation is embedded in the F30 audio system? Lately i've been noticing a crackling sound from mostly the driver side pillar tweeter and occasionally from the left pillar while playing music. Occasionally pressing the horn makes a distorted horn sound emerge from the pillar too and the outside noise a tiny bit more audible (akin to having a fraction of one window rolled down). The local dealer hasn't been able to nail the problem as yet. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks