Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2016, 16:47   #1141
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hence I was just curious to know the kms covered before you guys got your brake pads changed. I hope they do not follow different yardsticks for people with the package and ones without.
With or without BSI pack, the dealership would only change your pads if the iDrive tells them to. To change the discs, when the dealership would change your pads, they would measure the thickness of your brake discs and tell you if they require a change or not, you can ask them to do it in front of you if you do not trust their verdict. There is a minimum thickness specified by BMW, any thing below that and rotors would be changed.

3's pads last 30-32k kms depending on how you drive and the thickness of discs would be measured when pads are changed.

This iDrive maintenance stuff is better, the dealer can not fleece gullible customers by advising change of pads etc, the car knows what it needs and when it needs its stuff.
Old 20th November 2016, 16:56   #1142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
3's pads last 30-32k kms depending on how you drive and the thickness of discs would be measured when pads are changed.

This iDrive maintenance stuff is better, the dealer can not fleece gullible customers by advising change of pads etc, the car knows what it needs and when it needs its stuff.
Thanks for the quick reply. I was just getting apprehensive if the dealership could just maybe reset the iDrive and fleece the customer when they know that he is not going to be paying them anymore money for servicing.
Old 20th November 2016, 17:11   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
For stuff like brake pads, the service reminder can be extended. Only when the pad wear sensors are in contact and an alarm is triggered, they cannot reset it. But planned maintenance (pro-active) reminder on idrive can be reset and extended. Mine lasted less than 25k. High traffic density in Kerala roads, many trips on winding roads, spirited driving must all have contributed.
Old 20th November 2016, 17:26   #1144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is the average time or running that BMW's brake pads and discs usually last?
Quote:
For me BMW brake pads have always lasted 30k kms+
Quote:
3's pads last 30-32k kms depending on how you drive
Guys, you are definitely driving sedately I remember around 6 Years back I used to burn mine in 12-15,000 Km on 530, so unless BMW has considerably improved the brakes you are not using your car to full potential

Of course traffic condition and age takes a hit like now I easily do over 25,000 Km without a change. Normally they will replace discs on 3rd change but if you don't replace pads on time these can get damaged and they don't recommend or skew discs.

Quote:
was just curious, what is the fastest way to launch the F30 320D ?
some relevant information particularly on tyre pressure and RPM, I am not sure if you should keep DSC "On" as one needs to switch it "Off" on the models equipped with Launch control to enable it.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...acing-1-4-mile

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th November 2016 at 17:40.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 17:52   #1145
Distinguished - BHPian

My 320d has completed 26k kms now and will turn 3 years old next week. After using it as my daily drive for the last one and half years now, I am really annoyed with BMWs ICE set up and its controls. Mine is the base prestige variant and it didn't come with BT music streaming at that time but only supports telephone function via BT ( I hear the newer cars now come with BT music functionality). Now as an alternative they have provided an Aux and USB input but for some weird reason decided to place them under the central armrest. This location would work fine when you are using your USB to play music but not for Aux. They didn't give any space for the Aux cable to come out of the armrest storage space. Hence as a result the aux cable gets squeezed when you pull down the arm rest after connecting your phone. To makes matter worse, most people including myself have swiftly made the transition from USB/CD etc to playing music via one of the many apps available out there as it takes care of piracy and the headache to search and download music from torrent sites etc. As a result I have damaged 2 Aux cables till now.

The second part is that you cannot change tracks while playing music through AUX by using your steering control. Also the iDrive screen would not display the song being played and just shows Aux in use. Is there a technical reason behind this or is it just one of those things that they didn't think through?

Lastly I would like to say that a space saver is a must. No amount of RFT technology can be enough for our roads. I hadn't faced any issues till date and infact enjoyed the advantage of RFTs whenever my car had a puncture ( a total of 3 till date) since the RFTs hold on even after a puncture and I never had to stop and change a tyre. But a couple of days back, me and a fellow BHPian had gone out for a drive to the outskirts of the city and this happened:
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img20161118wa0001.jpg

I felt glad I had a space saver in the back. Otherwise would have had to waste all night in trying to arrange a tow truck to my home as at that time of the night there was no chance of finding a puncture repair shop.
Old 20th November 2016, 18:35   #1146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The second part is that you cannot change tracks while playing music through AUX by using your steering control.
Why don't you connect your mobile using USB? That way songs will show up on screen and you can change tracks via steering controls as well, besides phone will get charged.

Quote:
But a couple of days back, me and a fellow BHPian had gone out for a drive to the outskirts of the city and this happened
Yes, in the case when side wall gets hit or you get some major cut, it can be an issue. Have a look at mine back in 2011. Since then they have improved tyres considerably besides increased profiles on CKD models.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2522505

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th November 2016 at 18:55.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 18:35   #1147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
thinking of taking part in a a legal drag race event soon with the BMW 320 D F30.

I was just curious, what is the fastest way to launch the F30 320D ?

Option 1) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control ON, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Don't Build revs, just floor at GO.

Option 2) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control OFF, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Don't Build revs, just floor at Launch.

Option 3) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control ON, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Build REVs at 2500 rpm and hold brakes. Let the brakes go.
Keep traction control on. What you can do is press the button once briefly, so it goes into DTC mode. That will also some wheelspin without cutting it which will be good for your launch.

So keep the car in sport mode, gearbox in sport, left foot brake hard and with your right foot accelerate and keep the revs around 2.5k rpm. As soon as you leave the brake pedal to launch, put your right foot all the way down and don't remove it till you have won the race
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 18:54   #1148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Why don't you connect your mobile using USB? That way songs will show up on screen and you can change tracks via steering controls as well besides phone will get charged.
Will that work? I will try it tomorrow for sure. Thanks so much for the heads up.
Old 20th November 2016, 18:58   #1149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will that work?
sure, it should. I always prefer this over Bluetooth as quality is superior and the phone gets charged.
Old 20th November 2016, 19:02   #1150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will that work? I will try it tomorrow for sure. Thanks so much for the heads up.
Yes it will. You may not get a full list of songs, but you will get the current song playing along with buttons to go to the next or previous song. Though you may get everything too, list of songs, playlists, etc.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 11:53   #1151
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys need a quick suggestion. My cars insurance is up for renewal this week. The NCB applicable in the next policy is 25%. The car was insured with ICICI for this current year and the premium was Rs 60.8k. The new premium for renewal is being quoted at 62.7k. I am a bit surprised that the premium amount jumped when the car's IDV value decreased and NCB increased. Am I being mislead? What are the approximate insurance premiums you guys are paying?
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:40   #1152
BHPian

Evaluating whether I should get the BMW service package. Would be great to hear from others who have evaluated this decision. I will not have very high usage with 8-10 km of daily usage + frequent long trips
Old 23rd November 2016, 05:53   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
Evaluating whether I should get the BMW service package. Would be great to hear from others who have evaluated this decision. I will not have very high usage with 8-10 km of daily usage + frequent long trips
That's about 7000 kms annual use. In that case just get the Repair Inclusive package i.e. third year warranty extension. Rest, pay as you go.

Be watchful of any over the top charges like 'interior beautification' etc unless you really need such a job on the car. Each oil change otherwise would cost you 15-20K. It's your discretion to get the Air Filter or the AC filter changed or not. Do remember that most of the AC filters have activated carbon for odour removal. They are expensive and it's a criminal waste if changed unnecessary.
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:18   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Guys need a quick suggestion. My cars insurance is up for renewal this week. The NCB applicable in the next policy is 25%. The car was insured with ICICI for this current year and the premium was Rs 60.8k. The new premium for renewal is being quoted at 62.7k. I am a bit surprised that the premium amount jumped when the car's IDV value decreased and NCB increased. Am I being mislead? What are the approximate insurance premiums you guys are paying?
I need to renew my insurance soon as well and have been getting quotes from different companies. This will be the beginning of second year with my car. Bajaj Allianz offered me a zero depreciation insurance with an IDV of approx 29 lacs at 60,000/yr premium. This price is extremely competitive and I'll probably will be going ahead with it.

Last edited by rahul_jo : 23rd November 2016 at 12:20.
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:40   #1155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
I need to renew my insurance soon as well and have been getting quotes from different companies. This will be the beginning of second year with my car. Bajaj Allianz offered me a zero depreciation insurance with an IDV of approx 29 lacs at 60,000/yr premium. This price is extremely competitive and I'll probably will be going ahead with it.
Make sure you take quotes from HDFC Ergo and ICICI Lombard also. I found Bajaj Allianz quote to be quite high. My X3 30d also completes 1 year this December and I have gone with HDFC Ergo. For reference for IDV of about 45.50 Lakhs the renewal came to 85K for a Zero dep policy with HDFC Ergo with no NCB. Bajaj Allianz quote was for 1.50 lakhs for the same IDV. Only difference is that HDFC cover is without engine protection for hydrostatic lock and consequential damage. Since X3 is a high riding car I decided I do not need this protection. This extra coverage was available @ Rs. 7K to 8K IIRC with HDFC Ergo.

Quote:
ICICI Lombard are nowadays adding an extra cover called RTI or return to invoice. This basically reimburses the full value paid for the car including registration in case the car is a total loss. This extra cover adds to the premium. I insure most of my cars with ICICI Lombard and this year their website seems to be updated and there is no way to opt out of this add on cover. So I went with HDFC Ergo whose quotes were significantly lower. I recently renewed my Polo and X3's policies with HDFC Ergo.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 23rd November 2016 at 12:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks