Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 15:10   #121
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Thats not rocket science and that is probably why considering high overseas labour costs, it is easier to replace than repair

I worked with a person in Holland whose lease car BMW 530d had excess miles. His friend who was a wheeler dealer borrowed it and came back 30 min later having given the car a "10000 km haircut"
You got to be kidding !!!

And harbir, I have often come across BMW that is 3-5 yrs old with less that 30 K on the odo and have really believed that they were sparingly used.

The software that runs the odometer of BMW is supposed to be tamper proof and the company even boasts of that. That was quiet a shock.

They why do they make tall claims like that ?
Old 11th October 2012, 13:31   #122
BHPian

Some interesting information on the upcoming M3/M4, Chasis F80/82. No hydraulic steering unit it seems, but with an inline 6, and an optional MT.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753936

Last edited by Tats07 : 11th October 2012 at 13:33.
Old 19th October 2012, 07:06   #123
BHPian

Goodness. How the world has changed. A CADILLAC has been judged to be a more fun to drive car than a BMW 3 series. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Excerpts from the Comparison Test:

Quote:
Cadillac ATS: The best-handling sports sedan on the market today.

Less than two miles into his first handling loop in the ATS, senior editor Tony Quiroga announced, “Yeah, this car is way better.”

Usually we find ourselves defending why the faster car didn’t win a comparo by explaining that the slower one was more fun. Now we have to explain that the car that was more fun [the cadillac] didn’t win because it was just that much overmatched in every other regard.

If we were looking only for back-road fun and not for everyday livability, the ATS would triumph.

Please take a moment now to glance at the final results. Note that Cadillac beat BMW at its own game—actually, “clobbered” is a better word to sum up the chassis scoring. The only test the ATS didn’t ace is the comfort-oriented “ride” category. Otherwise, it’s as sound a drubbing as is possible.

Our grave concern here is that, with each new car it introduces, BMW seems to wrap more padding around the sensations and feel that make them great—while its competitors only zero in more tightly on those same attributes. (We’re convinced that the E90 would handily win a comparison test against the F30.)
That last comment is telling. While the Indian magazines are saying the F30 is an improvement on the E90 in every way, the world's most influential car magazine is saying that the E90 was the better car.

That underscores the point I've been trying to make. For us, the replacement of sportiness with luxury car traits is an advance because we don't have the taste or the appreciation for sporting cars.
Harbir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 11:05   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Goodness. How the world has changed. A CADILLAC has been judged to be a more fun to drive car than a BMW 3 series
Yes, I read this one as well. However, they also did mention that 328i is a more competent car in the mid-range RPMs, and feels more eager to roll even after the red line. Plus, they said that the transmission cannot hold a candle to the current 3.

I have noticed that Car and Driver reviews, while pretty good, do have a bias towards American automobiles. Strictly my opinion, though.

Thumbs up to your point on E90 and F30, quite a few forums keep on mentioning that as well!
Old 19th October 2012, 11:13   #125
BHPian

I have not seen any consistent pattern in their tests that indicate they favor american cars to german or japanese ones.

People see the biases that comfort them. In the US, fans of detroit iron accuse Car and Driver of being biased towards the japanese. Fans of japanese cars accuse them of being biased towards germans. everybody accuses them of being biased in favor of BMW.

I read nothing in that article I posted that makes me think "bias".
Old 20th October 2012, 10:33   #126
BHPian

is there any similar comparative on total ownership cost including Insurance but Excluding Initial Cost, year on year between these 3 cars, 3 series, C Class and A4
Old 21st October 2012, 01:48   #127
Team-BHP Support

So I heard that BMW will add a sunroof, and premium hifi to the middle models, which are the 320d Luxury and Sport. The sunroof at least was a glaring omission, and it will be nice to get the better hifi too on these models. There might be a few other little things added too. Expect them in the next few months, possible early next year.

Also the 6 series GC launch is near.
Old 21st October 2012, 01:59   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Excerpts from the Comparison Test:

That last comment is telling. While the Indian magazines are saying the F30 is an improvement on the E90 in every way, the world's most influential car magazine is saying that the E90 was the better car.

That underscores the point I've been trying to make. For us, the replacement of sportiness with luxury car traits is an advance because we don't have the taste or the appreciation for sporting cars.
True words! All an average Indian customer want is luxury and practicality. To hell with sportiness. Feels great to read such stuff about the E90 LCI (which is my favourite 3er till date followed by the E46) from one of the best automotive magazine in the world.
Old 21st October 2012, 11:01   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir
I have not seen any consistent pattern in their tests that indicate they favor american cars to german or japanese ones.

People see the biases that comfort them. In the US, fans of detroit iron accuse Car and Driver of being biased towards the japanese. Fans of japanese cars accuse them of being biased towards germans. everybody accuses them of being biased in favor of BMW.

I read nothing in that article I posted that makes me think "bias".
That's why I said strictly my opinion. Maybe formed from some recent reviews of American cars where I felt a tilt.
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:26   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
So I heard that BMW will add a sunroof, and premium hifi to the middle models, which are the 320d Luxury and Sport. The sunroof at least was a glaring omission, and it will be nice to get the better hifi too on these models. There might be a few other little things added too. Expect them in the next few months, possible early next year.

Also the 6 series GC launch is near.
Hi Akshay, do you have a source for this. I bought the f30, and I didn't mind that there wasn't a sunroof but I am extremely angry I wasn't able to opt in for the hifi. Will I be able to change it to the one BMW will now offer without voiding my warranty?
Old 24th October 2012, 13:57   #131
BHPian

I'm peeved. Why doesn't my 530 d have the following:
1. Sing selection via HUD
2. The power delivery and torque counter.

Is there a way I can get these in my 530 with a software upgrade?
Old 24th October 2012, 16:10   #132
BHPian

The upgraded hifi in bmws typically isn't anything special. Even Bose systems in other brands are rarely audiophile quality. The rare OE systems that are truly special are systems like the B&O in audi, the naim in Aston Martin, the mark Levi son in Lexus LS models, the B&W in jaguar. BMW upgraded sound systems are nothing special.
Old 24th October 2012, 16:18   #133
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the new 3 hasn't really caught on the way the 5 did when it was first introduced. Or is it just me?

I've spotted only a handful of them in Bangalore. Does anyone have info on the numbers sold?

Quote:
The upgraded hifi in bmws typically isn't anything special. Even Bose systems in other brands are rarely audiophile quality.
Bose is highly overrated IMO especially for the price. Definitely not worth it.

The optional Burmester audio in the new 991 type 911 has been received positively.
Old 24th October 2012, 18:12   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
Looks like the new 3 hasn't really caught on the way the 5 did when it was first introduced. Or is it just me?

I've spotted only a handful of them in Bangalore. Does anyone have info on the numbers sold?
Yes you are right, it indeed has sold low.

Thanks to good discounts on 520d , which is making people extend their budget & opting for the 5'er.

Last edited by karan561 : 24th October 2012 at 18:14.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 18:43   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561

Yes you are right, it indeed has sold low. Thanks to good discounts on 520d , which is making people extend their budget.
Very good point. Suspect BMW has some inventory issues on the 520 D or is trying to cream early adopters of the 320D. A friend bought a 520D for less than the price of a 320 D Luxury Plus.

Last edited by Hayek : 24th October 2012 at 18:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks