Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2017, 10:52   #1336
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
BMW gurus ( Akshay1234, drmohitg, karan561, coolboy007, Turbanator et al)
I have finalized a 2017 320d prestige model and taking delivery in the next few days.
From this thread and individual ownership reviews, have surmised the following :
- extended warranty - should be taken. can opt in till the 23rd month. Question - Apart from inflation, is there any risk in deferring the ExW purchase? Also 6th year is steep? Should I consider 2+3 at best.
- BSI - optional. Question - my annual run will be ~ 15-18k kms per year. Largely moderate with occasional hard Driving. Does this warrant BSI? Or better off saving on upfront investment / interest cost?
- tyre pressure - 32 all round on the 16 inchers - / - paint protection. Question - Not sure of the verdict here - go/ no go for 3M protection or will periodic polishing suffice?
- Vin - bimmer.work mentions production date as mar17 while bmwvin.com shows it as nov16? Last 5 digits are C36379
- run in - 1st 2000 kms - below 3500 rpm and 160 kmph - got that.
Anything else I should keep in mind?
Thanks in advance.
Congrats on the car, lovely choice!

You can extend your warranty anytime before the original warranty expires i.e 2 years. So I would say take your time and think about it, rather than putting out the money now.

If your running is 15-18k that means it will be used a lot. I would say go for BSI, for 3-5 years depending on how long you are planning on keeping the car. Maybe buy for 3 years first which you can then extend later on. Again just saving you from putting out a large amount now.

Tyre pressure, 30-32 will suffice. But if going for a long drive on highways I would say raise to 34 to be safe.

Paint protection and a polishing are one in the same, unless you are talking about a ceramic coating like opticoat, ceramic pro, etc. But I would say a bi yearly polish from a good detailer is more than enough.

March 17 is correct.

Run it in as mentioned and then enjoy fully. Nothing much else to keep in mind.

Enjoy the car!
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 15:10   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
- Premium HSD from day one
Just wondering if premium HSD is really needed for a BMW. I was under the assumption that it is better to stick to regular diesel from reputed pumps as the additives in HSD might do more harm than good to the car. Correct me if I am wrong
Old 14th May 2017, 16:30   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Congrats on the car, lovely choice!...
Paint protection and a polishing are one in the same, unless you are talking about a ceramic coating like opticoat, ceramic pro, etc. But I would say a bi yearly polish from a good detailer is more than enough
I was referring to PPF by 3M. Getting a quote of ~25 k for bumpers, bonnet and side mirrors and ~90 k including doors, fenders and boot. Is it worth it?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 15th May 2017 at 01:10. Reason: fixing quote
Old 15th May 2017, 01:11   #1339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Just wondering if premium HSD is really needed for a BMW. I was under the assumption that it is better to stick to regular diesel from reputed pumps as the additives in HSD might do more harm than good to the car. Correct me if I am wrong
You are right. Never use high speed diesel or any equivalent in any of the modern diesels. They will mess up more things than help.

Quote:
I was referring to PPF by 3M. Getting a quote of ~25 k for bumpers, bonnet and side mirrors and ~90 k including doors, fenders and boot. Is it worth it?
That's too much. The bumpers, bonnet and side mirrors makes sense if you drive in a lot of traffic though.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 10:29   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
I had got done it on bonnet, bumpers, mirrors and run boards. Doors and fenders add to the price heavily hence skipped it. No regrets after 3.5 years.

PPF for boot is useless, I see no value there.

Would suggest you to get bonnet, bumpers and fenders done and skip the rest. Mirrors and run boards should be done for free as you are spending so much.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 11:47   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
And its cheaper ex showroom than the 320d. Had I not got such a large discount on my 320d I would have been a very angry person now
Just out of curiosity, you sold your vRS?
And again went for a 320d, how much discount??
Old 15th May 2017, 13:13   #1342
BHPian

I also purchased a 320d Sportline in February. Had specifically enquired about any prospective launch of the 330i. Was clearly told by 2 independent sources, that there was no plan to do the same in the near future. Hence went ahead and bought a 320d.

Would have gladly waited, for the 330i as had already waited for quite sometime. Did test drive the 330i Gt , The drive was good but not phenomenal. The punch that I had expected from such a powerful engine seemed to be missing, it was a smooth linear acceleration instead.

Lastly, my requirement for a red colour was clear. It is some consolation to see that even now , Melbourne Red is not offered on the 330i.

I got a discount of approximately 8 lakhs.

Nonetheless, it is a very good option for the enthusiasts.
Old 15th May 2017, 21:38   #1343
BHPian

Boy oh boy. Just saw the updates about the 330i 3-series. I wonder if BMW is offering mouth watering discounts on it already. I heard that they priced it very close to 320i.

Does anyone have any news on this? I would love to trade in my 320d for it if the price gap isn't too wide.
Old 15th May 2017, 23:09   #1344
BHPian

Is it advisable to do a long highway run especially in the hills ( Faridabad - Shimla - Manali - fbd) with a new car (<100 kms on odo)?
Old 15th May 2017, 23:21   #1345
BANNED

Quote:
Is it advisable to do a long highway run especially in the hills ( Faridabad - Shimla - Manali - fbd) with a new car (<100 kms on odo)?
I believe it should be okay mostly, but that would turn out to be nearly a 1000 kms drive. And that would require an inspection just to be safe.
Not too add to your worries, but i've seen an acquaintance's E60 530d, refuse to move the day after it was bought and driven 100 kms from chandigarh to ludhiana. I would suggest driving around in the area where its easy to get help quickly.
If you're any more antsy, drive till chandigarh and get the car inspected there, that should be a 250kms drive easily. After a few days driving in the city, you would easily reach the 1000 mark.

And not to forget, the usual run in precautions continue stay below 3-4k rpm and no max throttle. And in fact it would be easier for you to vary the throttle given the nice gradients in the hills. But the drive till chandigarh will be a snooze.

Last edited by agambhandari : 15th May 2017 at 23:30.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 23:23   #1346
BANNED

Quote:
Definitely. In fact, as long as you vary speeds every 15 mins or so, it is the best way to run-in the car. Also, the roads you have mentioned will make you vary the speeds and consist of all kinds of gradients, just what the doctor ordered..!!!
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 19:32   #1347
BHPian

Navnit Motors, Mangalore will now happily retrofit the rear view camera (for 1,48,000) and even the PDC front (for 1,30,000) on your F30 sedan.

I was given these quotes over...uhh... whatsapp.
Old 18th May 2017, 23:50   #1348
BHPian

Hi
I have a 2012 E90 320d. The car had done about 63000km. I have the high line version with navigation. The problem is that the navigation had not been updated since purchase. Would like to know if someone has updated the same and the way to do it.
Old 19th May 2017, 17:19   #1349
BHPian

I have a December 2013 320d Sportline.
I'm facing a weird issue with it. Every time I connect my phone via bluetooth and make a call, the iDrive screen just goes blank and then restarts after a few seconds. However, after it restarts, it shows that the phone is connected via bluetooth, but the car speaker doesn't work for the call.
Also, this happens only for the first 3 calls. From the 4th call onwards, no problem. Maybe this is related to the time it takes and not really the number of calls I don't know. I called George on the 24hour Infinity Cars helpline but he has not encountered this problem yet he says.
I'm very very skeptical about sending it to the workshop because they just love to keep the car with them for a week at least even if the car has merely sneezed.
Anyone faced this problem?
Old 20th May 2017, 20:01   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_rahul View Post
I have a December 2013 320d Sportline.

I'm facing a weird issue with it. Every time I connect my phone via bluetooth and make a call, the iDrive screen just goes blank and then restarts after a few seconds. However, after it restarts, it shows that the phone is connected via bluetooth, but the car speaker doesn't work for the call.

Also, this happens only for the first 3 calls. From the 4th call onwards, no problem. Maybe this is related to the time it takes and not really the number of calls I don't know. I called George on the 24hour Infinity Cars helpline but he has not encountered this problem yet he says.

I'm very very skeptical about sending it to the workshop because they just love to keep the car with them for a week at least even if the car has merely sneezed.

Anyone faced this problem?

Have you tried using another cell phone? Have you faced the same problem with another phone too? I say double check like this, Trying using ios/Andriod, Other phones and see if you get the problem with only a specific phone or all of them, Its risky & time consuming to send the car to the workshop for such issues which are difficult to replicate, Try it with another cell and still if the problem happens, Try and record it and mention the issue when your car goes for servicing the next time.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks