Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2017, 01:13   #1441
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

I too took the 3 year/40K package. However I feel that if you have the package, they only do a barebones service.... ...
This is a wrong statement. Let's debate.
Old 1st July 2017, 07:20   #1442
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
This is a wrong statement. Let's debate.
I have done two services so far. One approximately at 10K and the next one at 20K. Generally at 20K fuel filters and air filters are changed for most vehicles. When I inquired, I was told that it needn't be done. Personally, for a high performance diesel vehicle, clean air filter is a must.

Has anyone done a paid 20K service here? Can you let us know what all as done and how much it cost?
Old 1st July 2017, 12:35   #1443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have done two services so far. One approximately at 10K and the next one at 20K. Generally at 20K fuel filters and air filters are changed for most vehicles. When I inquired, I was told that it needn't be done. Personally, for a high performance diesel vehicle, clean air filter is a must.

Has anyone done a paid 20K service here? Can you let us know what all as done and how much it cost?
I've done 2 paid services on my X3. Both times I asked them to change the air filter and microfilter along with the oil change. Costs were around 25k.
Old 1st July 2017, 15:31   #1444
BHPian

Quote:

So, let me clear the confusion on this topic. Once you buy the BSI, the upfront payment collected by you is paid to BMW India to activate the package.

The dealer does not keep your upfront money. What only changes is the fact that post BSI activation, the responsibility of settling bills is that of BMW India and not the vehicle owner. On top, BMW India will settle the invoice at MRP where as a customer at times may ask for discounts, credit etc.

So, as an independent repairing party the dealer does not gain anything by resorting to the barebone servicing. On the contrary a car under BSI receives more parts during repairs like exact gaskets, recommended lubes and fluids, changes with up to 10% life still remaining... For each part, the dealer earns more.
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:10   #1445
BHPian

I got mine serviced at 7k and they replaced the air filter and microfilmer as well even though there was plenty of life left.
Total cost was around 35K or so, don't remember the exact figure.
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:50   #1446
Distinguished - BHPian

Has there been any update on the BSI packages? I have a 5 year/60k kms package which will be coming to an end next year. I might not have saved money during this time period in absolute terms of service costs but the peace of mind is really worth paying the amount upfront even if it is more than what you would incur during regular servicing. There was some mention of BMW introducing 10 year plans too now sometime back but on inquiry my dealer didn't know about the same and told that the maximum duration plan was for 6 years.

Secondly the rear brake pads of my car have been showing service due in 5000 kms and since then I have driven close to 1500 kms but the 5000 km figure in the i-drive has still not changed. Is their a chance that the sensor for the same is malfunctioning? In-fact the next oil service is now due in 3500 kms according to the system. Although I do remember that during the front brake pads change too, the car was showing 8000 kms which suddenly dropped overnight to 2000 kms and I got them changed.
Old 3rd July 2017, 13:30   #1447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However I feel that if you have the package, they only do a barebones service....
This has been my experience too. If your usage is moderate, it is not advisable to go for prepaid service. I was shocked when they cleaned and replaced my filters during my first service. My car sees very less usage (30K km in 6 years and I had 5 year BSI top-end package). The bills were always *very* low. They tried to deny my brakepad change because I forgot to see the service message and sent the car one month after BSI expiry. They refused an unscheduled change of wiper blade. I got them done after some persuasion but still. For low usage ownership, BMW's condition based servicing is fantastic, can be really cheap to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
So, as an independent repairing party the dealer does not gain anything by resorting to the barebone servicing. On the contrary a car under BSI receives more parts during repairs like exact gaskets, recommended lubes and fluids, changes with up to 10% life still remaining... For each part, the dealer earns more.
You have some valid points and your posts on BMW are very informative. But in this case I have to disagree with your comments. Dealer can only perform what is approved by BMW and in addition dealer can only charge the amounts approved by BMW. For some special or demanding customers, the dealer takes the trouble to get some jobs approved by BMW. For many regular customers, they just follow the rule book and offer barebones service. I have had similar experience with Mercedes also. The price of same job when paid by the manufacturer (warranty or pre-paid service) is significantly lower than chargeable to the customer. When I questioned them, I got some nonsense explanation.

I am not against prepaid service packages. They make sense if you run 20K+ km per year. Total waste of money for low usage owners. They offer no peace of mind unlike warranty and insurance.

Last edited by androdev : 3rd July 2017 at 13:34.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 12:30   #1448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Has there been any update on the BSI packages?
10 year packs are available. Around 9 lacs for 3 series if my memory serves me well. I checked this during my car purchase in May.
Old 5th July 2017, 13:11   #1449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
10 year packs are available. Around 9 lacs for 3 series if my memory serves me well. I checked this during my car purchase in May.
Can you get an update on this from your SA ( in case you bought the BMW). My SA said it is only available till 6th year. Also 9L sounds a bit too steep. The 5 year plan including servicing and warranty had costed me around 3.5L.
Old 5th July 2017, 16:22   #1450
BHPian

Quote:
Can you get an update on this from your SA ( in case you bought the BMW). My SA said it is only available till 6th year. Also 9L sounds a bit too steep. The 5 year plan including servicing and warranty had costed me around 3.5L.
Yes It's available.

I took 5Y/60K plan approx 14 months back.

Attached is the quotation from that time. Prices must have gone up a bit.

Cheers
Sail
Old 5th July 2017, 17:20   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You have some valid points and your posts on BMW are very informative. But in this case I have to disagree with your comments. Dealer can only perform what is approved by BMW and in addition dealer can only charge the amounts approved by BMW. For some special or demanding customers, the dealer takes the trouble to get some jobs approved by BMW. For many regular customers, they just follow the rule book and offer barebones service. I have had similar experience with Mercedes also. The price of same job when paid by the manufacturer (warranty or pre-paid service) is significantly lower than chargeable to the customer. When I questioned them, I got some nonsense explanation..
Thanks for the encouraging feedback on my posts Here I am again trying to add more information that may clear the air

- Buyer be aware. This statement is valid for BSI as well. A lazy SA or a busy workshop can always resort to shortening of job card. The reason is more avoiding the hassle than commercial
- BSI invoices for repairs are paid by BMW at full customer price. If BSI is in conjunction with Repair Inclusive then the workshop has a field day milking money. It is amazing what all the Moto Nagar workshop here in Delhi is able to find out for replacement under BSI. 'As far as imagination can fly'
- For a low mileage user, it's still prudent to keep the RI package. Not as expensive as the full program. Keeps you mentally at peace and you will have a lot more buyers of your car whenever you want to sell it out if the RI package is still active.
Old 5th July 2017, 17:37   #1452
Team-BHP Support

Certain points to be noted under BSI, wiper replacements are possible at the time of service only, not anytime in between. Also, unless system shows the need of any replacement, you cannot opt for a change on your own so for example, my oil change of X6 was due last month and Brake oil this month, I have to either take car twice or wait till it shows change for the brake. This can be problematic for someone who does not have much time / spare car/ driver at disposal.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th July 2017 at 18:00.
Old 5th July 2017, 18:11   #1453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2 services completed on my X3 (30D) as well. Both times air and oil filters have been replaced. Fuel filter has not been replaced yet in my car as per my service records.

The first thing the SA does is download the data from the key and take a printout of the recommended changes. Service is carried out as per this printout. You can ask for a copy of this to see what changes are recommended and whether they are following it.

I only have extended warranty and no BSI.

1st service @ 8,000 kms - Cost 26K
Major expenses
Air Filter ~ 5.4k
AC filter ~ 4.8K
Oil filter ~2.2K
Engine Oil ~ 10.3K

2nd Service @ 18,000 kms - Cost 22K
Expense list same as above except AC filter was not replaced this time, only cleaned

3rd Service (Rear brake pad change only) @ 23,000 kms - Cost 20K
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 19:06   #1454
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
They refused an unscheduled change of wiper blade.
I too had to get an approval for a wiper blade change since I forgot to mention it during the scheduled service .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
2 services completed on my X3 (30D) as well. Both times air and oil filters have been replaced. Fuel filter has not been replaced yet in my car as per my service records.

I only have extended warranty and no BSI.
This is exactly my point. If your car had BSI, they would have changed oil and oil filter only and a water wash maybe. They told me I had to pay for the water wash first and conceded to give it free only after I protested.

Thanks for the detailed cost break up. I would rather have my air filter changed at 20K atleast.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 5th July 2017 at 19:09.
Old 5th July 2017, 19:29   #1455
BHPian

Quote:
There is also a 10Years/100000KM pack, which is:

07DL

Service :Rs.236,095

07DM

Plus : Rs.489,555

Above price would have gone up by nearly 3% from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
You may just be able to reset it through the idrive. In service required, when you highlight the vehicle check, then try and select the date shown. If the idrive can select it then you can just change the date from there. Otherwise the service centre will have to do it.
Akshay1234, if we do the above through iDrive will it show up in the Key printout when we take it for service? Don't we need to take approval from the service centre lest we violate our warranty?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 8th July 2017 at 22:00. Reason: Merging back to back posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks